++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 7, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #7,891 of 29,490
I need some advice to replace the my first pair of closed headphones that I just bought.  After reading these forums for hours, I decided to try my luck with Shure SRH440.  I wasn't blown away with the sound by the way, but I can only compare them to my Sennheiser HD238, which are really good I think.

Anyway, my problem is the discomfort of the Shure's headband.  It's really heavy and hurts my head after some listening.  I don't think stretching them  helps either.  I don't have a big head so I think it really has to do with the lack of padding there.  I've already decided to return these, but I'm not sure what I can get instead.  I read here that M50's are by far the most favored headphones, but they are a bit expensive for me, and from the photos I've seen, the headband looks very similar.  Can anyone recommend me a pair that is comfortable to wear and is good for listening to mostly classical, vocals, jazz, etc. type music?

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #7,892 of 29,490

Quote:
Grados block out no noise whatsoever, and leak so much sound that they are arguably just as loud on the outside as they are inside.

The Sony is the easy choice here for isolation. If you need even more isolation within budget, consider the Shure 440, Sennheiser 280, AKG K81.

ive been very touch by the style of the shure

does it goes well with rock music?

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #7,893 of 29,490

If you like the Senn sound and want around the ear full sized headphones, check out the HD428 or HD448.  I have extensive experience with the HD448.  The feelings are a bit mixed around here on head-fi, but the reviews you'll find won't be complaining about sound.

They have a very different fit than Shures - the HD448 have very low clamping force and a padded headband that is very light feeling.  I personally love the HD448 for a sub 100 dollar headphone.  You can check out my impressions by clicking on my link in my signature.

If you have any specific questions I can answer them
Quote:
I need some advice to replace the my first pair of closed headphones that I just bought.  After reading these forums for hours, I decided to try my luck with Shure SRH440.  I wasn't blown away with the sound by the way, but I can only compare them to my Sennheiser HD238, which are really good I think.

Anyway, my problem is the discomfort of the Shure's headband.  It's really heavy and hurts my head after some listening.  I don't think stretching them  helps either.  I don't have a big head so I think it really has to do with the lack of padding there.  I've already decided to return these, but I'm not sure what I can get instead.  I read here that M50's are by far the most favored headphones, but they are a bit expensive for me, and from the photos I've seen, the headband looks very similar.  Can anyone recommend me a pair that is comfortable to wear and is good for listening to mostly classical, vocals, jazz, etc. type music?

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #7,894 of 29,490

Quote:

If you dispose of portability, the Audio Technica AD700 are a great set for those genres.

Quote:
ive been very touch by the style of the shure

does it goes well with rock music?

I would say the 440 or possibly the 940 for rock.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #7,897 of 29,490
Heya,

Looking for something:

- Open-back
- Robust
- Moddable (mostly for comfort / style). I'm a noob in this area but want to learn to mod.
- £50-£100 price range. Not sure what this translates too in $s today, but UK prices seem to be pretty different anyway.

I also like a bit of bass. Have had some pretty anemic cans lately, and want something richer on the low-end. Not too fussed about neutrality as I have separate studio cans for that.

Any suggestions?

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #7,898 of 29,490
Hi, I've been "lurking" for a while now, but this is my first post.

Apologies if my requirements have been covered elsewhere in this thread. I have searched and read too many posts on here and managed to get myself thoroughly confused as to what to buy.

Music Source: I need headphones that do NOT require an amp, I'll be using my iPhone, PC, Mac, HTPC and lastly these will be plugged into my Yamaha Clavinova.
Use: At home & travelling.
Music Genre: Rock, indie-rock, pop, classical, jazz, blues, R&B. Allsorts really.
Comfort: Absolutely, the more comfort the better.
Portable: Yes, would be good.
Looks: As long as they sound good, I don't care what they look like. 
Robust: Yes, ideally one with a separate cable, but not an issue if it is not.

Price Range: Up to $350 (I'm in the UK, but can buy easily in the US)

I'd like something that has good sound isolation, I'm steering clear of noise cancelling - as I don't fancy carrying around AAA batteries everywhere I go. the only ones I've seen referred to repeatedly here for this sort of enquiry are the Audio-Technica M50 (referred to here http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range). If it also came with the cable with the remote stuff for the iPhone, then that would be very handy.

Any advice / help gratefully received.

cheers
Aaron

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #7,899 of 29,490
Since he stated later he wanted close headphone I'd have to agree with the V6 recommendation. 

Quote:
Well aside from the default recommendation for Grado (SR80, or Alessandro MS1), I think the Sony V6 is a good candidate.

I would still take the HD 25-1 over the 840, tbh. I wasn't really impressed with any Shure that I've heard, but I love my some HD 25.

Quote:
All solid choices for sound. The 840 would be the best without an amp and for durability. The HD25 likes to have a bit more power, the Beyers really want more power, the Denon isn't exactly durable. 

TMA-1. You get a few nice options with the TMA-1 you don't get with the Aviator. Not to mention much better build quality. 

I'd recommend a slight EQ on either one, so that's a moot point.

Quote:
Hey quick question for you guys should i get the Skullcandy Aviator or TMA-1 or something else something under 300 please

Amazon is reliable as long as you see 'Fullfilled by Amazon' on the seller's page.

Quote:
guys may i ask is amazon reliable? tnx need answers

If you just want to go mod crazy I'd recommend a low end Grado from someone on Head-Fi (as shipping won't be ridiculous that way). 

Quote:
Heya,

Looking for something:

- Open-back
- Robust
- Moddable (mostly for comfort / style). I'm a noob in this area but want to learn to mod.
- £50-£100 price range. Not sure what this translates too in $s today, but UK prices seem to be pretty different anyway.

I also like a bit of bass. Have had some pretty anemic cans lately, and want something richer on the low-end. Not too fussed about neutrality as I have separate studio cans for that.

Any suggestions?

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #7,900 of 29,490
Hi guys, new member here although I've visited plenty of times before to read reviews and such.

At the moment, here's what I have, a simple setup:
Philips SHP2700, source is a Xonar DG on my PC which has a built-in headphone amp rated up to 150ohm.

I use my headphones for everything, games, music, movies etc.
I'd like to upgrade to something that would bring about a noticeable improvement to my 2700s. Budget probably about US$100-150. I stay in Singapore btw.
So far I've been looking at the Shure SRH840, ATH-M50S and perhaps the HD558 and DT770. Most of these are pretty much at my budget max or above it slightly. At least according to ebay. To save some dosh, I've also checked out the SHP9000. Anyway, which of these would be best for my budget and needs?

I don't want something too sterile/clinical either. I like strong, tight bass, but not boomy ones. I tried the Sony XB500s and felt like the bass wasn't overly controlled. Albeit, that was in the Sony shop being powered from my WP7 phone.

Should mention that I prefer closed, circumaural phones as I find them much more comfy. Semi-open is OK too tho. Reason being I use my headphones with my PC in the bedroom with my girlfriend next to me.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #7,901 of 29,490
This one is a tough call as I'd recommend an Open headphone for most of your genres. 

I'd recommend a DT 1350 in this case I suppose, though some find them uncomfortable due to high clamping force. ATH ES10 if you can find one...

Quote:

Apologies if my requirements have been covered elsewhere in this thread. I have searched and read too many posts on here and managed to get myself thoroughly confused as to what to buy.

Music Source: I need headphones that do NOT require an amp, I'll be using my iPhone, PC, Mac, HTPC and lastly these will be plugged into my Yamaha Clavinova.
Music Genre: Rock, indie-rock, pop, classical, jazz, blues, R&B. Allsorts really.

I'd like something that has good sound isolation, I'm steering clear of noise cancelling - as I don't fancy carrying around AAA batteries everywhere I go. the only ones I've seen referred to repeatedly here for this sort of enquiry are the Audio-Technica M50 (referred to here http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range). If it also came with the cable with the remote stuff for the iPhone, then that would be very handy.

cheers
Aaron

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #7,902 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys, new member here although I've visited plenty of times before to read reviews and such.

Philips SHP2700, source is a Xonar DG on my PC which has a built-in headphone amp rated up to 150ohm.

I'd like to upgrade to something that would bring about a noticeable improvement to my 2700s. Budget probably about US$100-150. I stay in Singapore btw.
So far I've been looking at the Shure SRH840, ATH-M50S and perhaps the HD558 and DT770. Most of these are pretty much at my budget max or above it slightly. At least according to ebay. To save some dosh, I've also checked out the SHP9000. Anyway, which of these would be best for my budget and needs?

I don't want something too sterile/clinical either. I like strong, tight bass, but not boomy ones. I tried the Sony XB500s and felt like the bass wasn't overly controlled. Albeit, that was in the Sony shop being powered from my WP7 phone.

Should mention that I prefer closed, circumaural phones as I find them much more comfy. Semi-open is OK too tho. Reason being I use my headphones with my PC in the bedroom with my girlfriend next to me.

The Sennheiser HD-558 is an open headphone.
The Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm is a bassy headphone, bassy in a nice way.

A low cost headphone like the Superlux HD-669 would be an improvement over the Philips SHP2700.
With Superlux headphone you have to be careful, not as solidly made as other headhpones.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #7,903 of 29,490

Quote:
Heya,

Looking for something:

- Open-back
- Robust

Any suggestions?

Or if you go new, instead of Grado look at Alessandro which doesn't have ridiculous prices outside of the US. They are a fantastic testbed for learning how to do mods due to the large grado modding community and their relatively simple construction. In stock form, you may find the bass a little weak, but that can be quickly alleviated. 

A Koss KSC75 also has a few common mods, though they're mostly for sound rather than comfort/style (except the headband mod)

The Audio Technica AD700 is generally considered a bit bass light, but come in a large frame to offer plenty of mod potential. I suspect a bit of damping and mass loading inside can rapidly bring the bass back up as well. 

Quote:

cheers
Aaron

Senn HD380: high isolation, super comfortable (though clamps at first until worn in), fairly flat with slight bass tilt
HDJ-2000: slight V shape response but mids still strong, good durability
Shure 840/940: comfort is a tossup works well for some and totally not for others, 840 sound is bass tilted and rich, 940 sound reportedly more neutral or even midhigh tilted

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #7,904 of 29,490

Quote:

DT770: highest isolation and most bass, rugged but not portable in any way
840: bass tilt, rich mids and midbass, debatably the most balanced sound of the group
M50: V shaped response with good impact in the highs and lows, slightly recessed mids, most compact and portable
HD558: these are very open, so I would pass on them (well, unless you wanted to pop off the grills and seal them from the inside with some tape)

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #7,905 of 29,490
Thanks for the feedback PurpleAngel, Armaegis.
I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Superlux if they're a lil flimsy. They certainly look that way from photos.

I'm only going to be using these in my room, so portability not much of a concern.

I'll probably try to find a shop that lets me try the DT770, 840 and M50.
Anyone can provide a comparison with the SHP9000? Those are much more budget friendly and from what I hear, pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back