++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 5, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #7,861 of 29,490
XB500 has the most 'hip hop style' bass out of those choices...meaning that it's the most like a big subwoofer.
The V6 is a great headphone but it's tough to appreciate sometimes as it's fairly neutral.
Grados are the worst idea ever for rap.
The M50 is a great headphone and probably has the best impact of that list.

I'd decide between the XB500 (Or the 700), and the M50. 

EDIT: As mentioned above, check out the HFI 580 as well. 

Quote:

So I have been looking at a lot of heaphones that have a nice bass response for hip hop and rap type genre that sounds clear and delivers pretty hard. I have come up with a list of a few I am interested in, my price range is to about 150$ including amp if it would help.

XB500 (Great)
Sony MDR-V6 (Good)
K81DJ (Eh.)
Grado SR80i (Holy god no)
M50 (Good)
ZX700 (No comment)
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (No comment)

Debating on CMOY amp or FiiO (I'd hit up the Cmoy)

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #7,862 of 29,490

Quote:
so my extremely old Sennheiser HD500 headphones finally bit the dust and i tossed them out a while ago... i borrowed some Bose OE headphones (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/on_ear_headphones/index.jsp) from my mom to hold me over for a while but they made me want to rip my ears off after wearing them for any length of time and they sounded like crap anyway.

at the moment im using some Klipsh S4's which actually sound pretty decent considering their price, but they hurt your ears after a while too, and putting them in my ears/removing them constantly can be a pain.

generally i watch a lot of videos on my pc, play games, and of course enjoy some music. metallica, disturbed, nickelback (dont judge), rage against the machine, muse, stuff like that... the odd pop song as well. i do enjoy my bass, but i dont like it to overpower everything of course.

admittedly i dont know much or anything at all about headphones, and the HD500's that i purchased were basically because i heard on some website a really long time ago that sennheiser was a really good brand. i loved them, and i mourn their loss :frowning2: anyhow, time to replace my headphones. i may look into getting an amp somewhere down the road, but its definitely not a priority and i would prefer something that does not need to rely on having an amp. looking to spend up to about $200, +/- a couple bucks. thanks for the input.

Well I'll just take a page out of MorbidToaster's book and toss the Senn HD598 at you.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #7,863 of 29,490

Quote:
XB500 has the most 'hip hop style' bass out of those choices...meaning that it's the most like a big subwoofer.
The V6 is a great headphone but it's tough to appreciate sometimes as it's fairly neutral.
Grados are the worst idea ever for rap.
The M50 is a great headphone and probably has the best impact of that list.

I'd decide between the XB500 (Or the 700), and the M50. 

EDIT: As mentioned above, check out the HFI 580 as well.  

Thanks that's what I was thinking,at the moment, would the CMOY help or make any of them above par with the others, cause this is for my birthday and a simple AMP could be a nice gift.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #7,864 of 29,490
IMO if you pick an XB series headphone don't worry about an amp. XB1000 needs one, but that's way out of budget right now. 

Anything else I'd go for a Cmoy. M50, HFI 580, etc. I don't feel/hear my XB700 lacking in anyway without an amp. 

Quote:
Thanks that's what I was thinking,at the moment, would the CMOY help or make any of them above par with the others, cause this is for my birthday and a simple AMP could be a nice gift.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #7,866 of 29,490
Hi guys, I need a recommendation on a headphone. My budget is $120-200, I can stretch it a bit. I play my music from ipad, blackberry and iphone. I do not intend to use a portable amp. Type of music I play: 20% rap, 30% r&b, 20% punk and alternative rock, 20% dance and 10% pop.

From my research on this board I found audio technica ath-m50s and ultrasone hfi-580 is what most people use in my budget range. I found that ultrasone hfi-780 is just slightly more expensive than the 580 model on amazon. Which is the most suitable headphones for me? thanks!

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #7,867 of 29,490

Quote:

I think for an inexpensive amp, the JDS CMOY BB would be good if you like the extra bass with your headphones.

Personally, I'm making a do-it-yourself Tangent CMoy just for the experience, it's a lot of fun. :D

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #7,868 of 29,490

Quote:
How much would the additional fees cost anyway if I buy HD25 for $130 from Amazon.com and use Viaddress to forward?

Taxes, maybe.

Brokerage fees, probably somewhere from $30-50 depending what the package is marked and insured for, but that's a maybe too. It's all a crapshoot.

I've paid $30 in fees for a $40 package before (that was furthermore opened and broken by customs
frown.gif
)

Quote:
Hi guys, I need a recommendation on a headphone. My budget is $120-200, I can stretch it a bit. I play my music from ipad, blackberry and iphone. I do not intend to use a portable amp. Type of music I play: 20% rap, 30% r&b, 20% punk and alternative rock, 20% dance and 10% pop.

From my research on this board I found audio technica ath-m50s and ultrasone hfi-580 is what most people use in my budget range. I found that ultrasone hfi-780 is just slightly more expensive than the 580 model on amazon. Which is the most suitable headphones for me? thanks!

580 has the most bass, M50 is V shaped (strong bass and treble), 780 is relatively balanced. All have good isolation.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #7,869 of 29,490
first post here, thinking of grabbing an ad700 since i am intrigued by its supposedly amazing sound stage. im an audio noob so im curious to hear this wide sound stage that people are talking about. i dont listen to alot of bass-heavy songs, so would this be a good choice? also can anyone recommend a good cheap case for the ad700 since im gonna be travelling a bit. thanks.

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #7,870 of 29,490
Hi guys. I'm thinking of buying a Sennheiser HD 515. It's about 75€ where I live, which is about the max price I want to pay for a headphone for now.

Any experiences with that headphone? Any alternatives?
I'm looking for open, circumaural headphones

Thanks in advance!

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #7,871 of 29,490
Looking to upgrade my current setup which is Audio Technica AH-A500's with a Headroom Airhead amp.  I'm wanting to spend around $500. My primary music choice is Metal and Rock.

I don't know if I should get something like the Denon D2000 and a better amp or just go for Denon D5000 (or similar) and stick with the same amp.  And what amps are worth getting that's better than the Airhead or Total Bithead, are they tube driven?

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #7,872 of 29,490
Stick with solid state for Denons and (IMO) your current amp will be fine. Denons are stupid easy to power in a good way), but they do benefit from a nice amp. I'd save for the D7000 if you like the Denon signature. 

Any of the line sound great, but the D2000 & 5000 use the same driver where as the D7000 uses a better driver. 

tl;dr - Get the D2000, and if you like it enough, save for the D7000. Then worry about a new amp.

Quote:
Looking to upgrade my current setup which is Audio Technica AH-A500's with a Headroom Airhead amp.  I'm wanting to spend around $500. My primary music choice is Metal and Rock.

I don't know if I should get something like the Denon D2000 and a better amp or just go for Denon D5000 (or similar) and stick with the same amp.  And what amps are worth getting that's better than the Airhead or Total Bithead, are they tube driven?

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #7,873 of 29,490

Quote:
first post here, thinking of grabbing an ad700 since i am intrigued by its supposedly amazing sound stage. im an audio noob so im curious to hear this wide sound stage that people are talking about. i dont listen to alot of bass-heavy songs, so would this be a good choice? also can anyone recommend a good cheap case for the ad700 since im gonna be travelling a bit. thanks.

Great headphone, but lousy for travelling as it's big and fragile. Cheapest solution would be to just keep the original box, or at least keep the plastic inside thing and stick that into another larger box with some foam sheets.

Quote:
Hi guys. I'm thinking of buying a Sennheiser HD 515. It's about 75€ where I live, which is about the max price I want to pay for a headphone for now.

Any experiences with that headphone? Any alternatives?
I'm looking for open, circumaural headphones

Thanks in advance!

Decent headphone, but that's a terrible price... it's hard to make recommendations without knowing what your other options cost. Some random suggestions to look into:
AKG K140/240
Audio Technica AD500/700

Quote:

Well a default recommendation around these parts is Grado/Alessandro for rock music.

The Denons are great, but have a smoother sound and wouldn't be my first choice for metal/rock. I would want something with a bit more edginess to it. Maybe an Ultrasone 780/2400, or the newfangled Sony Z1000, or a Beyer DT990.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #7,874 of 29,490

Quote:

Well a default recommendation around these parts is Grado/Alessandro for rock music.

The Denons are great, but have a smoother sound and wouldn't be my first choice for metal/rock. I would want something with a bit more edginess to it. Maybe an Ultrasone 780/2400, or the newfangled Sony Z1000, or a Beyer DT990.

Not a fan of open headphones like Grados, would rather stick with closed ones.  The Ultrasone is a good suggestion, have to look at reviews of the rest of those to see.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #7,875 of 29,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back