++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #7,831 of 29,490
MOAR bass = 580
hey I want to hear something other than bass = 780

Personally, I would go for the more neutral 780 and EQ bass up as desired.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #7,832 of 29,490
Hey guys, first post here!

I've been reading a bunch of reviews and forum posts over the last few days and everything I read just makes it harder to decide what to get.

I'm looking for a headphone in the $100-$200 price range. It's hard to say exactly since I live in Sweden and pricing here varies a lot from the States. But just to get a good sense of budget, phones I've looked at include M50s, SRH840, HD598 etc.

They will mainly be used for music(About 70%, with the other 30% in games and movies) and I mostly listen to hiphop, rock and metal but also some more mellow, acoustic stuff. So a pretty balanced phone but still a good strong bass would be nice.
I Mainly play FPS' but like I said, focus is on the music. If I can't hear where everyone is on the map in Battlefield, that's ok. :)

These will pretty much strictly be used at home with my PC so bulkyness and whatnot doesn't matter in the least.
Open or closed doesn't really matter but the less sound leakage the better, as I live with other people.

Maybe I'm asking for a lot for the price but any recommendations are much appreciated!

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #7,834 of 29,490
Pro 750, or HD 598 would get my vote.

Quote:
Hey guys, first post here!

I've been reading a bunch of reviews and forum posts over the last few days and everything I read just makes it harder to decide what to get.

I'm looking for a headphone in the $100-$200 price range. It's hard to say exactly since I live in Sweden and pricing here varies a lot from the States. But just to get a good sense of budget, phones I've looked at include M50s, SRH840, HD598 etc.

They will mainly be used for music(About 70%, with the other 30% in games and movies) and I mostly listen to hiphop, rock and metal but also some more mellow, acoustic stuff. So a pretty balanced phone but still a good strong bass would be nice.
I Mainly play FPS' but like I said, focus is on the music. If I can't hear where everyone is on the map in Battlefield, that's ok. :)

These will pretty much strictly be used at home with my PC so bulkyness and whatnot doesn't matter in the least.
Open or closed doesn't really matter but the less sound leakage the better, as I live with other people.

Maybe I'm asking for a lot for the price but any recommendations are much appreciated!

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #7,836 of 29,490
What are the best headphones under $500 (preferably under $300) for choral/chant as well as medieval/renaissance music in general? I would love some good cans that are specifically for listening to my medieval and renaissance music collection (as well as my classical music collection in general).

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #7,837 of 29,490
Senn. HD 598, or maybe one of the Senn. HD 6xx series. 

The 598 is a great headphone, but I think the slightly more laid-back 'darker' sound of the 600 series would work a little better for that type or music.

Quote:
What are the best headphones under $500 (preferably under $300) for choral/chant as well as medieval/renaissance music in general? I would love some good cans that are specifically for listening to my medieval and renaissance music collection (as well as my classical music collection in general).

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #7,838 of 29,490

Quote:

Audio Technica AD700/900/1000/2000, whichever is the best one you can find under budget (I've seen the AD2000 go for under $400 used). They are absolutely fantastic for midrange/vocals and producing a huge stage that envelopes you in the voices.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #7,839 of 29,490
Guys, I wish I had read this forum before... but I bought a sennheiser HD598 a couple of weeks ago and I'm very dissapointed. I would be glad if you guys give some ideas on a better replacement for my taste.

I'm fine with the amount of bass they have (a tad more would be perfect, just a little) and I really like the sounstage and clarity of them.. but  on the uppers the sound is waay too bright for me and the sibilance is unbearable for me. Yes its unbearable. 

Before, I only had IEMs and these are the first big cans I own besides some vintage Technics...
I used to own at the same time a Westone UM2 and a Westone 2. The W2 fixed everything I didn't like about the UM2 ... the UM2s were also sibilant to my ears (not anywhere as bad as the 598s) and lacked much of the soundtage that makes the sound fun for me. Unfortunately I lost the W2s on a plane so thats why I bought the HD598.

So basically I'm asking for a replacement that sound more or less the same but have a much more relaxed treble and if possible not a hint of sibilance to it. Seems like I make a big fuss of it but I'm actually quite non-audiophile on everything else.

Thanks in advance,
Francisco.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #7,840 of 29,490
HD 650.

More laid back but with all the good qualities of the 598. I personally like the 598 more, but I can understand where you're coming from. You get more bass with the 650 as well. 

EDIT: Check it.

Quote:
Guys, I wish I had read this forum before... but I bought a sennheiser HD598 a couple of weeks ago and I'm very dissapointed. I would be glad if you guys give some ideas on a better replacement for my taste.

I'm fine with the amount of bass they have (a tad more would be perfect, just a little) and I really like the sounstage and clarity of them.. but  on the uppers the sound is waay too bright for me and the sibilance is unbearable for me. Yes its unbearable. 

Before, I only had IEMs and these are the first big cans I own besides some vintage Technics...
I used to own at the same time a Westone UM2 and a Westone 2. The W2 fixed everything I didn't like about the UM2 ... the UM2s were also sibilant to my ears (not anywhere as bad as the 598s) and lacked much of the soundtage that makes the sound fun for me. Unfortunately I lost the W2s on a plane so thats why I bought the HD598.

So basically I'm asking for a replacement that sound more or less the same but have a much more relaxed treble and if possible not a hint of sibilance to it. Seems like I make a big fuss of it but I'm actually quite non-audiophile on everything else.

Thanks in advance,
Francisco.

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #7,841 of 29,490
Is there a cheap amp that could drive a pair of HD650's or lesser headphones?

What does an amp do exactly? I had my HD555's plugged into my soundcard and most of the time I was only comfortable with them at 5% volume, or around there. Is that something else?

What decent headphones work fine without an amp under those circumstances? I'm guessing the HD598's are one, any others?

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #7,842 of 29,490
Most people around here would argue that any headphone benefits from an amp (unless they're ANC), but the 598 doesn't really need one. The 650 does though.

If you're interested in this hobby beyond this pair of headphones I'd suggest an amp anyway. I'd still recommend the HD 650 with a budget amp.

Oh, and an amp simply feeds the headphones more power. In theory they just make them louder, but amps do have their own 'sound signatures' as well.

EDIT: The TMA-1 has a similar sound signature to the HD 650 and needs no amp. However, you lose your sound stage from the 650 being open.

Quote:
Is there a cheap amp that could drive a pair of HD650's? I just noticed that Electronics Expo coupon for 40% off and it works on the 650 (598 isn't in stock), figured I can spend a bit more and get it since most people think they're good cans. But I don't have an amp, so...

What does an amp do though? I had my HD555's plugged into my soundcard and most of the time I was only comfortable with them at 5% volume, or around there. Is that something else?

What decent headphones work fine without an amp under those circumstances? I'm guessing the HD598's are one, any others?

EDIT: Hmm, I guess that's not all that special a price actually, Amazon without any coupons has the 650's as only a little bit more at $359. If I can't use them unamped though, I'd rather not bother.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #7,843 of 29,490
This isn't exactly a buying suggestion question but just out of sheer curiosity (since im done buying headphones atleast for a few years, my wallet is agonizing from the HD598, the SRH840s, and the ETY HF5s I bought for my headphone needs 
beyersmile.png
 HEADPHONE HEAVEN!)

How do the HE300s compare to the other openbacked headphones in the 200-300 price range? (I'm more curious just because if it's better than my HD598 I might jus tbe tempted to use the FS forum)

My dad is planning to buy some grados not sure which yet but, I figure that'll give me a good chance to listen to them. If I were to like the grado sound which is worth saving up for more RS1i, GS1Ki, or PS1K?

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #7,844 of 29,490
My favorite (and the only Grado I really enjoyed) was the HF 2. I still don't own one, but I really want one. Because of that I won't comment too much on the others, but I've heard the RS1 is excellent (and I really want to try it out).

Quote:
This isn't exactly a buying suggestion question but just out of sheer curiosity (since im done buying headphones atleast for a few years, my wallet is agonizing from the HD598, the SRH840s, and the ETY HF5s I bought for my headphone needs 
beyersmile.png
 HEADPHONE HEAVEN!)

How do the HE300s compare to the other openbacked headphones in the 200-300 price range? (I'm more curious just because if it's better than my HD598 I might jus tbe tempted to use the FS forum)

My dad is planning to buy some grados not sure which yet but, I figure that'll give me a good chance to listen to them. If I were to like the grado sound which is worth saving up for more RS1i, GS1Ki, or PS1K?

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #7,845 of 29,490
so my extremely old Sennheiser HD500 headphones finally bit the dust and i tossed them out a while ago... i borrowed some Bose OE headphones (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/on_ear_headphones/index.jsp) from my mom to hold me over for a while but they made me want to rip my ears off after wearing them for any length of time and they sounded like crap anyway.

at the moment im using some Klipsh S4's which actually sound pretty decent considering their price, but they hurt your ears after a while too, and putting them in my ears/removing them constantly can be a pain.

generally i watch a lot of videos on my pc, play games, and of course enjoy some music. metallica, disturbed, nickelback (dont judge), rage against the machine, muse, stuff like that... the odd pop song as well. i do enjoy my bass, but i dont like it to overpower everything of course.

admittedly i dont know much or anything at all about headphones, and the HD500's that i purchased were basically because i heard on some website a really long time ago that sennheiser was a really good brand. i loved them, and i mourn their loss :frowning2: anyhow, time to replace my headphones. i may look into getting an amp somewhere down the road, but its definitely not a priority and i would prefer something that does not need to rely on having an amp. looking to spend up to about $200, +/- a couple bucks. thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back