++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 5, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #7,846 of 29,490
IEMs, Under $50. Used for Hip-hop.

Prefer a nice punch and depth in the bass, sparkly highs. Overall a warm sound.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #7,847 of 29,490
Hey guys:)

I'm in the market for some new headphones and thought i'd start by asking here.

My budget is £150, at the moment i have a a Sennheiser HD215, i'm looking for something that will obviously blow these away, i mainly listen to pop-type music through a Xonar DX soundcard in my PC, the headphones would need to be closed ones, i have gone through the closed headphones reviews aswell and while i have narrowed it down to 3/4 i'm still not sure, any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #7,848 of 29,490
Ironic enough that the poster above you has the IEMs I'd suggest in their avatar. 

Klipsch S4 (with some EQ for the highs). The bass on those things is amazing, and they're right around budget.

Quote:
IEMs, Under $50. Used for Hip-hop.

Prefer a nice punch and depth in the bass, sparkly highs. Overall a warm sound.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #7,849 of 29,490
First-time poster looking for a recommendation on a pair of full-size headphones:

1. Closed design -- these will be primarily used in an open office environment where I want to block most outside chatter and seal most leakage so as not to disturb those around me. I do not want extra noise-cancelling tech.
  2. Will be used primarily for classical/orchestral soundtrack music. Secondary rock/techno.
  3. Max $200 -- I'm not a professional audio tech, just looking for a pair of headphones to maximize my working day.
  4. Optional -- low profile for occasional use on bus commutes.

I currently have a pair of HD280's that have been great for the past few years, but have the itch to try something else. Was going to "upgrade" to the HD380's by default unless something else better fits the bill.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #7,850 of 29,490
First-time poster looking for a recommendation on a pair of full-size headphones:

1. Closed design -- these will be primarily used in an open office environment where I want to block most outside chatter and seal most leakage so as not to disturb those around me. I do not want extra noise-cancelling tech.
  2. Will be used primarily for classical/orchestral soundtrack music. Secondary rock/techno.
  3. Max $200 -- I'm not a professional audio tech, just looking for a pair of headphones to maximize my working day.

I currently have a pair of HD280's that have been great for the past few years, but have the itch to try something else. Was going to "upgrade" to the HD380's by default unless something else better fits the bill.

I'd look into a Beyer or an Ultrasone. Both have good soundstage for closed cans and good isolation. You'd get something new and (IMO) better than the 280 that way.

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #7,851 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys:)

I'm in the market for some new headphones and thought i'd start by asking here.

My budget is £150, at the moment i have a a Sennheiser HD215, i'm looking for something that will obviously blow these away, i mainly listen to pop-type music through a Xonar DX soundcard in my PC, the headphones would need to be closed ones, and won't be amped, i have gone through the closed headphones reviews aswell and while i have narrowed it down to 3/4 i'm still not sure, any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

the usual suspects...
Shure 750/840
Audio Techncia M50
Senn HD25
Sony ZX700

Quote:

I quite liked the HD380. Basically a step up in every way from the 280, with excellent isolation and nice even sound with a warmish tilt.

The Beyer DT770 has excellent isolation too, but wants an amp and in my opinion doesn't play that well with classical music. It's too bass heavy and muddies into the mids.

An Ultrasone as MorbidToaster mentioned would be a good choice. Good isolation and easy to drive, just stay away from the bassy ones (so basically the 580/750/900); I would say something like a 650 or 780. S-Logic is weird for some people though, so try and audition one first if possible. If gives wide soundstage, but sometimes artificially so.

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #7,853 of 29,490

Quote:

I haven't listened to the 840's in detail, but if you're considering the 940's, I find that they do isolate pretty well. However, on a noisy commute (via on the bus), due to the nature of the headphone itself, the bass is almost non-existent unless you turn up your volume at medium levels. I'm not sure if you get THAT much ambient noise where you are, but I thought I would mention that. I personally don't mind the lack of bass since my on-the-go music doesn't place an emphasis on the bass, but more on the mids and highs. Also, because the 940's place an emphasis on the mids and highs, they can be fatiguing to some.

For a review of them, the link is in my signature.

I think for a noisy environment, the cheaper 840's will probably be a better choice since they do have a mid-bass bump, meaning you would probably be able to hear some bass much better than the 940's. For quiet, at-home listening, I would recommend the 940's if you want a detailed headphone.

To expand on this, I find the isolation on the 940 to be average at best (just a respectful, second opinion).  It blocks okay, but leaks pretty bad...

I would describe the low end as "slick" sounding rather than impactful, if that means anything to you.  It does better with string bass than electronic bass (not that it sucks at low end electronic bass, it is just not emphasized at all).

It sounds nothing like the HD 650. At all.  The HD650 has a much richer, darker presentation to it but lacks the semi-nimble character of the 940 as a result.  The 940's strength comes in the upper midrange if you ask me,  This is just one opinion.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #7,854 of 29,490
I'm currently browsing around for upgrade options from my M-50s and at the moment I'm torn between getting an HD650 with a $200-250 amp or a pair of IEMs with no amp in the near future, either the JH5 or UE4 Pro's. I can get both options for roughly the same price thanks to a friend who can sell me the HD650 way below its MSRP. My usage is almost evenly split between portable and at home, and I mostly listen to rock and metal.

Any suggestions as to which option would be best? I know the HD650 will probably give me the best long run option if I upgrade the amp, but I've heard great things about custom IEM's as well.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #7,855 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm currently browsing around for upgrade options from my M-50s and at the moment I'm torn between getting an HD650 with a $200-250 amp or a pair of IEMs with no amp in the near future, either the JH5 or UE4 Pro's. I can get both options for roughly the same price thanks to a friend who can sell me the HD650 way below its MSRP. My usage is almost evenly split between portable and at home, and I mostly listen to rock and metal.

Any suggestions as to which option would be best? I know the HD650 will probably give me the best long run option if I upgrade the amp, but I've heard great things about custom IEM's as well.

The HD650s are going to sound pretty sluggish with metal music. I would get JH5s.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #7,856 of 29,490

So I have been looking at a lot of heaphones that have a nice bass response for hip hop and rap type genre that sounds clear and delivers pretty hard. I have come up with a list of a few I am interested in, my price range is to about 150$ including amp if it would help.

XB500
Sony MDR-V6
K81DJ
Grado SR80i
M50
ZX700 
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S 

Debating on CMOY amp or FiiO

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #7,857 of 29,490

Quote:

So I have been looking at a lot of heaphones that have a nice bass response for hip hop and rap type genre that sounds clear and delivers pretty hard. I have come up with a list of a few I am interested in, my price range is to about 150$ including amp if it would help.

XB500
Sony MDR-V6
K81DJ
Grado SR80i
M50
ZX700 
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S 

XB500/700
K81/518/181
Ultrasone HFi580
Shure 750

For hardest bass impact, I would go with the 580 or K181

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #7,858 of 29,490

Quote:

XB500
Sony MDR-V6
K81DJ
Grado SR80i
M50
ZX700 
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S 

Beyerdynamic U.S.A. sometimes sells refurbished DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm on their eBay listing "bd-usa"
Also on eBay they have low cost single tube headphone amplifiers, shipped from China.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #7,859 of 29,490
I quite liked the HD380. Basically a step up in every way from the 280, with excellent isolation and nice even sound with a warmish tilt.

The Beyer DT770 has excellent isolation too, but wants an amp and in my opinion doesn't play that well with classical music. It's too bass heavy and muddies into the mids.

An Ultrasone as MorbidToaster mentioned would be a good choice. Good isolation and easy to drive, just stay away from the bassy ones (so basically the 580/750/900); I would say something like a 650 or 780. S-Logic is weird for some people though, so try and audition one first if possible. If gives wide soundstage, but sometimes artificially so.

Thanks for the input and the model numbers. Still leaning to the HD380s, but I'll try to research those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back