++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #7,096 of 29,490
Ultrasone PRO 900 or Pioneer HDJ-2000? They both have the same price at B&H. I currently have the Denon D1100 and I'm looking for an upgrade. Thanks!

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #7,097 of 29,490
Sep 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #7,098 of 29,490

Quote:
If you want gobs of bass to shake your head, the Pro900. If you want something a little more balanced, the HDJ-2000. 

Or for something a little in between, the HDJ-2000 with this mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/570868/pioneer-hdj-2000-bass-boost-mod

thanks for the reply.  I'm really interested with the PRO 900 but I might not like it because FWIR, PRO 900s are BOOMY headphones and somehow lacking  in details. I listen to all kind of music especially EDM.  btw, how's the bass of 2000? and soundsatge compared to M50s?

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #7,099 of 29,490
The pro series have too much head throb bass and not enough mids for my tastes. Soundstage on all these types of headphones (HDJ2000, Ultrasone Pro, M50, Shure 840, etc) are all average at best. The Ultrasone might give you that sense of soundstage with S-Logic, but that affects all people differently. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #7,100 of 29,490

Hey there,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have good bass, sound quality, but are in a price range up to 130 dollars max.

I will be using these headphones mainly for dubstep, hardstyle, dnb, and other similar genres, as well as rap.

I've heard good things about the HFI-580s and the M50s, but I also hear the DJ1s are the same things as the 580s, but more affordable.

Also, the 450s are much cheaper that the 580s, are they comparable?

So which pair of phones would you recommend? Thanks!

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #7,101 of 29,490
You pretty much nailed it. The HFi-580 will be a good choice for you. I believe the DJ1 is the same one except with different accessories and colour scheme. Haven't heard the 450 so I can't help you there. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #7,102 of 29,490

Quote:
Gents,

I love headphones. I've owned sennheiser's 280s, sony vdj700s, and, most recently, my beloved pair of Audiotechnia's ATH50s. I am looking for an early birthday present to myself and wanted to see what the next step up from ATH-50s will be. I suspect I will be requiring an amplifier since I can't imagine I will see much improvement given the limitation of the driver of my ipod, htc cell phone, or laptop. 

I was looking at the denon ah-d2000s. Thoughts? Other suggestions? All in all, i'd like to keep this under 5-600 bucks if possible.

Personally I much preferred HD600 to D5000 and even D7000 (never owned D2000).  They'll improve with amplification so you might consider an amp (vintage stereo will do nicely).  

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #7,103 of 29,490

Sony V6/7506 - built tough, even sound, sort of an inbetween over-ear and on-ear.
Shure 440 - a bit bigger, better isolation, circumaural, a touch warmer sound
Senn PX200-ii - not as durable as the other two but much smaller

I ended up getting the V6s. Thanks a ton, they provide a pretty large upgrade for me and I was feeling a bit baffled.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #7,104 of 29,490

Quote:
I ended up getting the V6s. Thanks a ton, they provide a pretty large upgrade for me and I was feeling a bit baffled.

Glad to hear it. I hope they serve you well and you don't get bit by the upgrade bug too soon. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #7,105 of 29,490
Recently got to listen to some music from the HD598. It was extremely comfortable on my head, felt as if I could just where it forever. Could these cans be used as portables? How is their isolation? What would be a good price range to buy them for? Thanks in advance to anybody who has some answers! =)

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #7,106 of 29,490

Quote:
Recently got to listen to some music from the HD598. It was extremely comfortable on my head, felt as if I could just where it forever. Could these cans be used as portables? How is their isolation? What would be a good price range to buy them for? Thanks in advance to anybody who has some answers! =)

They go for about $180 US... but sadly about $315 CAD. Here's the best I could find after a quick search:
http://www.avshop.ca/sound-amp-pa-audio/headphones/over-ear-headphones/sennheiser-hd598-headphones

That said, these are open headphones (ie: no isolation) and do not collapse or fold in any way, so they are not particularly well suited for portable use. In the same shape but closed, perhaps consider the HD380 which provides excellent isolation and folds flat and comes with a case for transport.

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #7,107 of 29,490
Hi guys

I`m new here and about to buy a headphone for Rock music and gaming.

I have done a lot of searching in this forum, it does help me narrow the range, but threads barely mention the specific genres of Rock music they are into coz Rock music is quite wide thus I have to make sure if their suggestions also work for me.

My taste in music is very clear, I like all the Hard Rock(AC/DC, G`N`R, Bon Jovi etc.), a lot of Classic Rock (Queen, The Police, Radiohead, The Beatles),some Punk(Green Day), a few Metal(Metallica, Ozzy), oh, and some R&B too. If it helps I`d say that I find myself really enjoying clear drums, like AC/DC has in every piece of their song, and wooden guitar rhythm.

My Source
I`m building a PC for the coming Battlefield3. So I will use the integrated sound card on the motherboard(Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 DDR3 Intel 1155pin Motherboard) which uses Realtek ALC889 codec for audio.

I have a lot of CDs, what I normally do is to copy them into my computer and format them into APE or Flac and play them with Foobar(so I will not care Portability of this headphone too much, I have a MX880&iPod already).

Choices
I do not have a solid budget but I plan to spend around $300 on this headphone( I mean I would have to cut budgets for other gears if I buy a pricier headphone)

According to a lot of threads on this forum, Grado is the best choice for Rock but most of users refer to hard/metal rock, however I do not listen to Metal Rock a lot. And some users complain the over brightness of Grado`s.
Moreover, I am looking at some headphones from Sennheiser, specifically, HD 600 or HD5xx

BTW, I guess I will need an Amp for either of my choice, can anyone recommend me some? and plz link me to a guide on how to use amp properly coz I will also use the headphone when gaming.

any advice is appreciated!!!

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #7,109 of 29,490

Quote:
hey does anybody know if AKG K514 or AKG K512 are any good?

I don't think I've heard those specific models, but I've heard older ones in the same general shape... I was not impressed. For the money, the Senn HD202 seems to be the more popular choice. 

Quote:
Hi guys

I have done a lot of searching in this forum, it does help me narrow the range, but threads barely mention the specific genres of Rock music they are into coz Rock music is quite wide thus I have to make sure if their suggestions also work for me.

My taste in music is very clear, I like all the Hard Rock(AC/DC, G`N`R, Bon Jovi etc.), a lot of Classic Rock (Queen, The Police, Radiohead, The Beatles),some Punk(Green Day), a few Metal(Metallica, Ozzy), oh, and some R&B too. If it helps I`d say that I find myself really enjoying clear drums, like AC/DC has in every piece of their song, and wooden guitar rhythm.

My Source
I`m building a PC for the coming Battlefield3. So I will use the integrated sound card on the motherboard(Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 DDR3 Intel 1155pin Motherboard) which uses Realtek ALC889 codec for audio.

I have a lot of CDs, what I normally do is to copy them into my computer and format them into APE or Flac and play them with Foobar(so I will not care Portability of this headphone too much, I have a MX880&iPod already).

Choices
I do not have a solid budget but I plan to spend around $300 on this headphone( I mean I would have to cut budgets for other gears if I buy a pricier headphone)

According to a lot of threads on this forum, Grado is the best choice for Rock but most of users refer to hard/metal rock, however I do not listen to Metal Rock a lot. And some users complain the over brightness of Grado`s.
Moreover, I am looking at some headphones from Sennheiser, specifically, HD 600 or HD5xx

BTW, I guess I will need an Amp for either of my choice, can anyone recommend me some? and plz link me to a guide on how to use amp properly coz I will also use the headphone when gaming.

Check the first post of this thread for a gaming headphone guide. 

Off the cuff, here's a recommendation: Sennheiser HD598/600 and Xonar STX sound card. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #7,110 of 29,490
Hi guys

My Source

Choices

I can recommend the close-backed Shure SRH940's for rock music. My brief review is in my signature. Keep in mind that mids and highs are the focus of these 'phones, so if you want punchier bass in your music, you would have to EQ it. The 940's have excellent treble extension but it's not aggressive like Grado headphones, it's more laid back and doesn't hurt my sibilant-sensitive ears. Drums are presented very well to my ears while having clear cymbals as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back