++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #7,081 of 29,490
Gents,

I love headphones. I've owned sennheiser's 280s, sony vdj700s, and, most recently, my beloved pair of Audiotechnia's ATH50s. I am looking for an early birthday present to myself and wanted to see what the next step up from ATH-50s will be. I suspect I will be requiring an amplifier since I can't imagine I will see much improvement given the limitation of the driver of my ipod, htc cell phone, or laptop. 

I was looking at the denon ah-d2000s. Thoughts? Other suggestions? All in all, i'd like to keep this under 5-600 bucks if possible.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #7,082 of 29,490
I made a separate thread but was told that it might be wise to post here as well.

What I'm looking for:
Entry-level audiophile headphones. Good quality and good sound. Will be used together with my PC mostly (also have an iPhone) to play games (Battlefield 3 e.g.) and listen to music. Music taste is hardcore rock/metal mixed with the odd dubstep (got a very varied music taste, but think heavy drums and long guitar riffs). I'm also very interested in movies.

Budget:
I'm Swedish, so my budget is around 1600SEK. This corresponds to around $230 I believe, give or take. Basically headphones in the $100-250 is what I can consider "within my budget".

What I have right now:
Cheap 2.1 generic computer speakers. In-ear plugs that are "alright". Logitech G330 (headset) for Skype. Looking to completely replace the computer speakers.

I'm also planning to get:
A proper soundcard, probably the Xonar DX. Still not sure, but I'll ask in the computer subforum regarding this. Also, would I need an amp? Any suggestions regarding a good one?

Thanks for any help! Regards,
Marest

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #7,083 of 29,490

Quote:
Maybe you'll like a source component better then a new set of headphones?

You can save up for a turntable and pre amp.

That's just me

You might be interested in modding. Check out a Grado SR80i and look around for cups, pads and headbands. Recable an such. That should fit your budget and be a little more fun and personal to the stale "buyign headphone" routine.

HD598 wouldn't be a bad choice either

Thanks for the advice. I actually already own a turntable/pre amp. I'm definitely looking to get an amp/DAC (probably a Schiit) but for the time being, I'd like to try out some new headphones. Do you really think the SR80i is worth dumping a bunch of money into? It's a pretty cheap headphone. I've been interested in the HD598, but again, it's a bit cheaper than my budget.

Are these cheaper headphones really better than my D2000s?

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #7,084 of 29,490
I need some incredibly last-minute decision help/affirmation. I'm planning to buy the Ultrasone PRO 550 later this evening. But for the same price (essentially), I can get the Ultrasone HFI 680. I plan to use these cans mostly unamped, though sometimes with my computer (Dell XPS M1530) or with an old full-sized Onkyo amp/receiver (rarely). 

Please don't try to recommend an alternative at this point. I mainly listen to rock, though I also listen to essentially every other genre aside from classical and country. 

Between the HFI 680 and the PRO 550, which has better (strong but controlled) bass and better overall sound quality? Which has less/no need for an amp? Long story short, will the PRO 550 be a good choice or would the HFI 680 be better for me? 

Thanks so much.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #7,085 of 29,490
Likely to be about 10 days.  So far most of my cans going from US to NZ have taken around that time.  Then another week or so to really decide which I like better.  Must be someone in your area that has the HD600s or the Beyers that you can at least try?

In the meantime - this thread "might" help - it's one of the ones I looked at:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527354/hd-600-vs-dt-880-600ohm-version

I have to admit Gavin - I'm in the same boat as you - unsure which way to go longer term.  In the meantime, I'm selling my 250 ohm DT880 Pros locally (NZ) to help pay for the HD600s and the NFB-12.  After that next stop is a Little Dot MkIII.

I'll give the HD600 a month or so - then decide if I hold onto them or go back to the Beyers again (but next time the 600 ohm Premiums).

Just an update. I have decided I am going to try and audition my next pair even if it means some travelling.

I was able to see and listen to the Sennheiser HD598. Look really plastic. And the cream finish. Who on earth thought that looked good !

I am still undecided between the Beyer dt990 Premium 600 ohm or Sennheiser HD600. I have seen the Beyer dt990 Pro is £100 cheaper but only available in 250 ohms. Will there be much difference?

Also, and quite interesting I heard back from David at Little Dot. He said that the Sennheiser HD600 was used in voicing the Little Dot MKIV tube headphone amp. I am hoping to listen to both of these either next week or the week after.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #7,086 of 29,490

Quote:
Gents,

I love headphones. I've owned sennheiser's 280s, sony vdj700s, and, most recently, my beloved pair of Audiotechnia's ATH50s. I am looking for an early birthday present to myself and wanted to see what the next step up from ATH-50s will be. I suspect I will be requiring an amplifier since I can't imagine I will see much improvement given the limitation of the driver of my ipod, htc cell phone, or laptop. 

I was looking at the denon ah-d2000s. Thoughts? Other suggestions? All in all, i'd like to keep this under 5-600 bucks if possible.

I'm assuming you're looking for something that can be portable? The D2000 is a bit big for that purpose. How about something like the Pioneer HDJ2000 or Beyerdynamic DT1350?

Quote:
I made a separate thread but was told that it might be wise to post here as well.

What I'm looking for:
Entry-level audiophile headphones. Good quality and good sound. Will be used together with my PC mostly (also have an iPhone) to play games (Battlefield 3 e.g.) and listen to music. Music taste is hardcore rock/metal mixed with the odd dubstep (got a very varied music taste, but think heavy drums and long guitar riffs). I'm also very interested in movies.

Budget:
I'm Swedish, so my budget is around 1600SEK. This corresponds to around $230 I believe, give or take. Basically headphones in the $100-250 is what I can consider "within my budget".

What I have right now:
Cheap 2.1 generic computer speakers. In-ear plugs that are "alright". Logitech G330 (headset) for Skype. Looking to completely replace the computer speakers.

I'm also planning to get:
A proper soundcard, probably the Xonar DX. Still not sure, but I'll ask in the computer subforum regarding this. Also, would I need an amp? Any suggestions regarding a good one?

Thanks for any help! Regards,
Marest

Standard recommendations for gaming are the Audio Technica AD700/900 series and Sennheiser HD5xx, with the Senns having a bit more bass and the Audio Technicas having bigger soundstage. Neither is particular bass heavy, which is something you want to avoid for competitve gaming. Check out the first post of the thread for a link to a gaming headphone guide.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I actually already own a turntable/pre amp. I'm definitely looking to get an amp/DAC (probably a Schiit) but for the time being, I'd like to try out some new headphones. Do you really think the SR80i is worth dumping a bunch of money into? It's a pretty cheap headphone. I've been interested in the HD598, but again, it's a bit cheaper than my budget.

I wasn't too sure what to recommend at first. The SR80 and D2000 are such different sounding headphones, and your impressions of the DT880 are completely opposite from mine which makes me wonder if maybe they were underpowered from your preamp. Along that vein, the AKG K701 needs a bit of power behind it to sound its best as well. 

That all said, modding is a fun thing to get into and doesn't necessarily cost much. The most common grado mods cost a few bucks worth of materials, if any at all. Reshelling them is where it gets more cost/time intensive. You could also play with modding orthos like the Fostex T20/40/50 line. 

For other headphones to consider, maybe look into an UItrasone (ex: HFi 780) or winged Audio Technica (ex: AD900).

Quote:
I need some incredibly last-minute decision help/affirmation. I'm planning to buy the Ultrasone PRO 550 later this evening. But for the same price (essentially), I can get the Ultrasone HFI 680. I plan to use these cans mostly unamped, though sometimes with my computer (Dell XPS M1530) or with an old full-sized Onkyo amp/receiver (rarely). 

Please don't try to recommend an alternative at this point. I mainly listen to rock, though I also listen to essentially every other genre aside from classical and country. 

Between the HFI 680 and the PRO 550, which has better (strong but controlled) bass and better overall sound quality? Which has less/no need for an amp? Long story short, will the PRO 550 be a good choice or would the HFI 680 be better for me? 

Thanks so much.

I was not a fan of the 550. Weird dippy response and imaging and floppy bass. I haven't heard the 680, but I imagine it must be better. The 580 is loads stronger, and 780 more subdued, I figure the 680 is maybe in between.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #7,087 of 29,490

When I had my DT880s, I was using the Zero DAC/Amp and I honestly wasn't that impressed with them. They had a better build quality than the D2000s but I'm pretty pleased with the D2000s. I plan on dropping $900 on the Schiit Lyr & Bifrost so I don't think power will be an issue.

Is the Schiit Lyr/Bifrost even worth getting for my D2000s?

Is there a reason I'd want the K701s vs. the K702s?

Quote:
I wasn't too sure what to recommend at first. The SR80 and D2000 are such different sounding headphones, and your impressions of the DT880 are completely opposite from mine which makes me wonder if maybe they were underpowered from your preamp. Along that vein, the AKG K701 needs a bit of power behind it to sound its best as well. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #7,088 of 29,490

Quote:
Just an update. I have decided I am going to try and audition my next pair even if it means some travelling.

I was able to see and listen to the Sennheiser HD598. Look really plastic. And the cream finish. Who on earth thought that looked good !

I am still undecided between the Beyer dt990 Premium 600 ohm or Sennheiser HD600. I have seen the Beyer dt990 Pro is £100 cheaper but only available in 250 ohms. Will there be much difference?

Also, and quite interesting I heard back from David at Little Dot. He said that the Sennheiser HD600 was used in voicing the Little Dot MKIV tube headphone amp. I am hoping to listen to both of these either next week or the week after.

Well I'll look forward to your thoughts Gavin - looks like the HD600 and NFB-12 should both arrive late next week - so I'll let you know my thoughts after getting used to both + comparison to my DT880s.

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7,089 of 29,490
Hey guys i need advice on full size headphones cause i've been using in ear ones and my ears are developing painful bumps every time time i insert them now. Im in Australia Melbourne Victoria so with a budget around 200-250 and would prefer if i bought at a store cause im not overly sure about online buying.
I've owned:
Ipod headphones what can i say u use what u get when u buy a ipod
Aiaiai pipe which were alright and now the aiaiai tracks which are good but leaks and people give me weird looks when they hear me listening to katy perry
Ultimate ears 220 and think 150 the first one that they ever got put onto shelves in Australia.
I was thinking aiaiai-tma 1 but looking for outside advice. also would i need a amp for headphones over 200?
thanks in advance for your help

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #7,090 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm assuming you're looking for something that can be portable? The D2000 is a bit big for that purpose. How about something like the Pioneer HDJ2000 or Beyerdynamic DT1350?

Thanks for the reply - I don't think portability is really a necessity here.  The HD280's, ATH-M50's were never truly portable I guess, so something in that size range doesn't really bother me.  I'm more interested in having the headphones be fairly insulated..  still think the D2000's are out of the question?  I honestly thought the ATH-M50's were the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'd like to hear better if it's possible with my budget.

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #7,091 of 29,490

Quote:
When I had my DT880s, I was using the Zero DAC/Amp and I honestly wasn't that impressed with them. They had a better build quality than the D2000s but I'm pretty pleased with the D2000s. I plan on dropping $900 on the Schiit Lyr & Bifrost so I don't think power will be an issue.

Is the Schiit Lyr/Bifrost even worth getting for my D2000s?

Is there a reason I'd want the K701s vs. the K702s?

I'm personally not a big fan of the Beyers either.

The D2000s are not particularly difficult cans to drive... the Lyr might be a touch overkill. I would rather have something with a lower gain just to give me a useable range on the volume control.

I heard no difference between the K701 and K702. You get a stand with the K701, and you have a removeable cable with the K702.

Quote:
Hey guys i need advice on full size headphones cause i've been using in ear ones and my ears are developing painful bumps every time time i insert them now. Im in Australia Melbourne Victoria so with a budget around 200-250 and would prefer if i bought at a store cause im not overly sure about online buying.
I've owned:
Ipod headphones what can i say u use what u get when u buy a ipod
Aiaiai pipe which were alright and now the aiaiai tracks which are good but leaks and people give me weird looks when they hear me listening to katy perry
Ultimate ears 220 and think 150 the first one that they ever got put onto shelves in Australia.
I was thinking aiaiai-tma 1 but looking for outside advice. also would i need a amp for headphones over 200?
thanks in advance for your help

Amps are most useful for headphones with higher impedance and/or sensitivity. Most consumer headphones really don't *need* an amp, and I generally recommend just enjoying the headphones first before dropping money on amps.

If you're looking at the TMA1, also consider staples like the M50, Shure 840, Ultrasone HFi580, etc.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply - I don't think portability is really a necessity here.  The HD280's, ATH-M50's were never truly portable I guess, so something in that size range doesn't really bother me.  I'm more interested in having the headphones be fairly insulated..  still think the D2000's are out of the question?  I honestly thought the ATH-M50's were the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'd like to hear better if it's possible with my budget.

The denons are lousy at isolation. I've got a post at the top of this page with a listing of headphones with good isolation. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #7,095 of 29,490
IMO, yes. 

From what I've heard I prefer the HD 598 to almost anything under 900 USD. The 598 is stunningly good for the price.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back