++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #7,067 of 29,490
Hey guys, as you can probably see, i'm new here.

Anyway, i'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I'll be mainly using them for listening to music and occasionally recording my own and friends music and mixing it (if genre matters, i'm mainly recording metal and post-rock).

Budget: Below 100 €

I'm looking for Closed back headphones (yes, open back would be better for mixing but i also want to listen to music sometimes on a train or a bus)

The headphones must work reasonably well without an amp ( yes, i also acknowledge the fact that the amp will make the sound better, but for portability reasons i'd rather not carry one with me, also i'm cheap as **** and can't afford a decent amp )

If it helps, i'll be ordering them from thomann.de .

I have done some research, but there are plenty of options and i just can't decide on my own.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #7,068 of 29,490

Quote:

Anyway, i'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I'll be mainly using them for listening to music and occasionally recording my own and friends music and mixing it (if genre matters, i'm mainly recording metal and post-rock).

I'm looking for Closed back headphones (yes, open back would be better for mixing but i also want to listen to music sometimes on a train or a bus)

The headphones must work reasonably well without an amp ( yes, i also acknowledge the fact that the amp will make the sound better, but for portability reasons i'd rather not carry one with me, also i'm cheap as **** and can't afford a decent amp )

I have done some research, but there are plenty of options and i just can't decide on my own.

Sony V6/7506 and Shure 440 are solid all-rounders that I recommend all the time. Reasonably portable, well built, no particular emphasis on any part of the spectrum.

Quote:
I'm an infrequent headphone buyer who usually only owns or uses one all-purpose pair at time to do everything (music, gaming, movies), mostly on a home PC, with.  In the past I've owned Koss Portapros (got sat on), Grado SR80s (pads crumbled, developed infamous grattle), and currently Senn PX100s.  My computer stereo system recently broke down and I realized I'd rather just replace them with some higher-end headphones for once.

-My price range is maybe $150-250, not set in stone though.
-I game often (mostly first person offerings) and my sound card does have dolby headphone surround capability.
-I don't do any mixing or studio work though I always entertain the idea of venturing into it and it'd be nice to have something that could handle the basics.
-I wear headphones for extended periods and comfort is a pretty big deal, I also unfortunately live next to a CHAC unit and sound isolation is important.
-My music choices usually involve electronic and hiphop, some fairly eclectic indie rock and jazz, admittedly very little classical aside from a little solo instrumentation.
-I like punchy but not overwhelming, booming, or rumbling base; with my old Logitech Z560 400W sub I had to keep the bass dial at minimum and still adjust the lower bands of my EQ way down to tolerate the bass from that setup, if that's any indication.
-If I was being fanciful and free-associative I might say I enjoy a sound that could be described as textured, responsive, expansive and sparkling (but who wouldn't?)

Historically I've tried to buy the cheapo all-rounder offering and I've usually been satisfied (aside from the grados chewing at my ears) but I haven't exactly had the benefit of auditioning many headphones to see if I could be more satisfied with something else.  This time around I've been eyeing these items:

-AT ATH-M50
-AT ATH-ESW9
-AT ATH-A900
-Beyer DT880 Premium
-AKG K271S

But I am sort of picking names out of a hat and am welcome to suggestions.  Thanks.

My vote goes to the A900. It's a good step up from the A700 and offers a decent bass extension along with excellent soundstage. If you want to improve it, you can crack it open and add a bit of damping inside the cups to flatten out the bass response. 

Same goes for a Fostex T50rp.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #7,069 of 29,490
Goodmorning ,
I m new in this forum i `d like to say WOW lots of info and a lot of knowledge .
I want to create a headphone based system . I `ll get the headphones , later ( or sooner ) a headphone amp and possibly a DAC . The headphones will be used mainly for music listening and secondly for bass practising . I dont think i will have enough time to use them for more than a couple hours per time .
My budget is 100-150 Euros ( about 130-200 $ ) for headphones only  . Here in Greece in this price range i can get the akg 1xx ,2xx and 601 ( most variations ) . I dont care about open - closed type since they both have their plus and minus . Which one of them would you concider the best choise ? Do you think that there is a better alternative for this budget ?

Thanks in advance for your time and i hope i will be able to contibute soon .

Panos .

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #7,070 of 29,490
So is it possible to go and actually try headphones anywhere anymore? Best Buy only seems to carry at best a half-dozen models, and they're all sealed up tight. I've hardly seen any old-fashioned "stereo shops" around, everything seems to be done on-line nowadays, and I can't really justify spending hard-earned money on something so personal as 'phones without having a good idea ahead of time for how they're going to sound and feel. Is the idea that I'm first supposed to buy, then try, then return (on my own dime), and start that cycle over again...and all based on opinions voiced by people I wouldn't know if I fell over them? What a drag. (And no, I'm not 87 years old and mad at those neighborhood kids walking on my lawn.)

I don't have much money, I have very highly-trained ears for the music I listen to (mostly but not exclusively classical), I'd like to get a pair of very isolating or noise-canceling 'phones to use with my iPod while taking walks, and I am feeling utterly overwhelmed by all the information and opinions flying around here. I've asked in detail in a separate thread, but what I want to know here is: Where do people go to check these things out? 

confused.gif

--Bill

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #7,071 of 29,490

Quote:
So is it possible to go and actually try headphones anywhere anymore? Best Buy only seems to carry at best a half-dozen models, and they're all sealed up tight. I've hardly seen any old-fashioned "stereo shops" around, everything seems to be done on-line nowadays, and I can't really justify spending hard-earned money on something so personal as 'phones without having a good idea ahead of time for how they're going to sound and feel. Is the idea that I'm first supposed to buy, then try, then return (on my own dime), and start that cycle over again...and all based on opinions voiced by people I wouldn't know if I fell over them? What a drag. (And no, I'm not 87 years old and mad at those neighborhood kids walking on my lawn.)

I don't have much money, I have very highly-trained ears for the music I listen to (mostly but not exclusively classical), I'd like to get a pair of very isolating or noise-canceling 'phones to use with my iPod while taking walks, and I am feeling utterly overwhelmed by all the information and opinions flying around here. I've asked in detail in a separate thread, but what I want to know here is: Where do people go to check these things out? 

confused.gif

--Bill

As you might get hit by a car you never heard coming.
Superlux HD-668B, semi-open headphones.
About as cheap as you can get for getting decent headphones.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #7,072 of 29,490

Quote:

confused.gif

--Bill

When I bought my Grado SR80i headphones, I looked up authorized distributors on their website, found a local music store, and stopped in.  They were more than happy to open up a set of headphones for me to try out even though they didn't have a set out to listen to.  I think if you go to locally-owned small electronic stores or music shops, you'll be better off than going to a big box store because they have actual "customer service," something many Americans have forgotten about due to Best Buy and Walmart.  If you can't find any place like that near you, I guess the only thing you can really do is trial and error.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #7,073 of 29,490

Quote:

confused.gif

--Bill

HiFi shops should carry Grados and Sennheisers. Any music/guitar center will have Beyers, AKGs, Senns, Fostex, etc.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #7,074 of 29,490
Hey guys I have a problem.

Recently my JVC RX700 started to make a slight static noise when nothing is playing. I wanted to see where exactly it is coming from so I started to tweak some setting in the equalizer and when I raise the 4k it gets extremely loud.

what the heck is going on? is this normal? I've had them for about 1.5 months and this started about 3 days ago.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #7,075 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys I have a problem.

Recently my JVC RX700 started to make a slight static noise when nothing is playing. I wanted to see where exactly it is coming from so I started to tweak some setting in the equalizer and when I raise the 4k it gets extremely loud.

what the heck is going on? is this normal? I've had them for about 1.5 months and this started about 3 days ago.

It's tricky to say for certain. Is it like a white noise or a specific pitch? Do you have any other headphones to test? What's your source and/or amp?

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #7,076 of 29,490

Quote:

Any other opinions ?

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #7,077 of 29,490
Newbie here as well, and I've read a lot in this thread but I don't know if many of the products are outdated and whatnot. So I thought of posting my question here

Awhile back I wanted to buy a closed over-ear headphone, that has good bass and is clear as well. I do a lot of commuting so my priority was having a product that doesn't leak sound AS WELL block sound. I ended up buying the Sennheiser Hd448...when It arrived I was so happy but I tested it out right after and it freaking sucked. It didn't block sound at all, and it leaked..

I was so pissed, I went to a retail store (Futureshop, I know worse place to buy good electronics) and I was browsing through the headphones and ended up buying the Shure SRH240M+
Again, it freaking sucked. It was slightly better than the Sennheiser's, but it still leaked sound. I was so angry that day, that I had to give into my temptations and succumb to testing out the Solo Beats....and it was what I was looking for. They didn't leak sound, and they blocked sound. And I can see a clear difference in song quality. I have a friend that works at best-buy so I got them for $110 CAD

I've been using them for about 6 months now, and I like it..but I know there are better ones. And honestly, I don't like wearing these name brands, cause I know true headphone fans will laugh at me for buying them.

So basically, I'm looking for Closed Headphones
- That blocks sound (as much as it can)
- Doesn't leak sound (as much as it can)
- Good sound quality
- Good bass
- Price $100 - $300 CAD

Please guys I'm in desperate need of help, please let me upgrade!

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #7,078 of 29,490

Quote:
Newbie here as well, and I've read a lot in this thread but I don't know if many of the products are outdated and whatnot. So I thought of posting my question here

Awhile back I wanted to buy a closed over-ear headphone, that has good bass and is clear as well. I do a lot of commuting so my priority was having a product that doesn't leak sound AS WELL block sound. I ended up buying the Sennheiser Hd448...when It arrived I was so happy but I tested it out right after and it freaking sucked. It didn't block sound at all, and it leaked..

I was so pissed, I went to a retail store (Futureshop, I know worse place to buy good electronics) and I was browsing through the headphones and ended up buying the Shure SRH240M+
Again, it freaking sucked. It was slightly better than the Sennheiser's, but it still leaked sound. I was so angry that day, that I had to give into my temptations and succumb to testing out the Solo Beats....and it was what I was looking for. They didn't leak sound, and they blocked sound. And I can see a clear difference in song quality. I have a friend that works at best-buy so I got them for $110 CAD

I've been using them for about 6 months now, and I like it..but I know there are better ones. And honestly, I don't like wearing these name brands, cause I know true headphone fans will laugh at me for buying them.

So basically, I'm looking for Closed Headphones
- That blocks sound (as much as it can)
- Doesn't leak sound (as much as it can)
- Good sound quality
- Good bass
- Price $100 - $300 CAD

Please guys I'm in desperate need of help, please let me upgrade!

The best for isolation I've heard so far...
Senn HD25-1-ii
Beyer DT1350
Beyer DT770
B&W P5
Senn HD280/380

Shure 840

The HD25-1-ii Adidas version occasionally goes on sale through Futureshop for $200. The DT1350 can be found at Long & McQuade for $300.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #7,079 of 29,490
I've owned:

Grado SR-80s (loved)
Beyerdynamic DT-880s (didn't really like, too sterile/flat/boring)
Denon D2000 (currently own and love)

I'm looking for my next "step" in terms of headhphones and was considering the AKG K702. How do they compare to the headphones I've had before? While I am really happy with my D2000s, I'm interested in trying something new. I listen to indie rock, electronic, and hip hop. While the AKG K702s might not be a step up in price compared to the D2000s, I just figured they might provide a different sound that I might enjoy.

My budget is roughly $300. Advice?

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #7,080 of 29,490

Quote:
I've owned:

Grado SR-80s (loved)
Beyerdynamic DT-880s (didn't really like, too sterile/flat/boring)
Denon D2000 (currently own and love)

I'm looking for my next "step" in terms of headhphones and was considering the AKG K702. How do they compare to the headphones I've had before? While I am really happy with my D2000s, I'm interested in trying something new. I listen to indie rock, electronic, and hip hop. While the AKG K702s might not be a step up in price compared to the D2000s, I just figured they might provide a different sound that I might enjoy.

My budget is roughly $300. Advice?

Maybe you'll like a source component better then a new set of headphones?

You can save up for a turntable and pre amp.

That's just me

You might be interested in modding. Check out a Grado SR80i and look around for cups, pads and headbands. Recable an such. That should fit your budget and be a little more fun and personal to the stale "buyign headphone" routine.

HD598 wouldn't be a bad choice either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back