++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #6,152 of 29,490
SHURE SRH440 AT 55$
or
SONY MDR-XB700 AT 50$

I like bass, but overall sound quality is better than just having a booming bass.

I listen to Kpop, and rock mainly.

I'm leaning towards the shure's because of the fact that they normally retail at 100$ and this is quite a bargain.

Suggestions guys?

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #6,153 of 29,490

Quote:
I would like to first, thank all of the many audiophiles, industry majors, and general enthusiests that pore countless hours and information into this website. I have been bitten by the sound bug, I am stepping into this brave new world with about a $300 dollar budget for cans and maybe a $200 budget for an amp/dac. I have a love for a wide diversity of music : Blues, Metal, Rock, Hip Hop, Ska, Jazz, Classical /Orchestrated, Etheral and atmospheric, Opera,  Examples of Music I listen to on a regular basis are Phillip Glass, Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Charlie parker, Godspeed! you black emperor, My Bloody Valentine, Black Sabbath, The White Stripes, BassNectar,  The Glitch Mob, Radiohead, Aesop Rock, Rattata, BLockHEAD, Coheed & Cambria Etc, Dir En Grey... I am Beginning to dable in Creating and referencing Music, And I am looking for a Portable, (folding preferred but not necessary)   closed back, noise isolating, Circumnuaral, set of cans That lends itself to this kind of music. Sound clarity and instrument seperation as well as "soundstage " are very important to me as well as a high range of dheffinition in the low base, a generaly true mid level, and a detailed treble and higher end. I am driving my music from an Ipod Touch 3g (64 G) and a modest HiFi- setup with a technics MkII turntable, and a macbook pro.  I have been doing hours and hours of research and I have been dancing around these cans

-Audio Technica ATM-M50

- Ultrasone HFI 780

-BeyerDynamic DT 770 (or pro 80)  ( 32 ohm without amp 250 ohm with proper amp/dac)

-Dennon D2000

I have listened to The ATM-M50's and The Beyer Dynamic and it has become apparent that the BeyerDynamics are unable to be the clear choice until amped properly.  The M50's sound amazing but they seem to be so honest that it is a little off putting with some lower level recordings such as blues tracks tend to be and the more operatic and highly composed aria's. 

ANy suggestions as to which cans and even Amp/dac Combos in this price range with this music in mind would be absolutely phenomenal and deeply appreciated as i have spent countless hours searching threads for pieces of a seemingly empty puzzle. I have a basic referencing and music background and very little engineering knowledge (sub novice) but I love music, I don`t want to upgrade every time a new ibasso and set of grado's come out) although I don`t blame those who do :wink: I just want to start with a nice set of cans and a decent amp. Suggestions and comments ?  

a few staples:
Audio Technica M50
Shure 840/940
Senn HD380

Quote:
SHURE SRH440 AT 55$
or
SONY MDR-XB700 AT 50$

I like bass, but overall sound quality is better than just having a booming bass.

I'm leaning towards the shure's because of the fact that they normally retail at 100$ and this is quite a bargain.

Suggestions guys?

I would go for the Shure 440.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #6,154 of 29,490

Quote:
How do the Superlux HD-668B phones compare to the Ultrasone HFI-580's? (I saw your reply in my thread on the other board but figured I'd ask here since it fits this topic better.)

I have zero experience with Ultrasone, but have all ways heard good things about them.
I've been using the Superlux HD-668B for a week and they sound just as good as all my other headphones, but cost a lot less money.
The Superlux may not stand up to the long term wear and tear of my "name brand" headphones and the "name brand" might have that extra 10%, that my ears can not pick up on.
The Superlux HD-668B are "semi-open", but they really do not let in enough outside noise to bother me.
My ears have to take more breaks with the pounding with the closed headphones.
My Beyerdynamics DT-770 80-Ohm seem to have a built in sub-woofer (not really), which sometimes is really great for giving bass to movies/music.
Currently I'm planning on selling of my name brands and maybe ordering a second Superlux.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #6,155 of 29,490

Quote:
SHURE SRH440 AT 55$
or
SONY MDR-XB700 AT 50$

Suggestions guys?

First, where are you finding those cans at that price.??

I would go with the shures.. Balanced and smooth if that is what you consider better sound quality.. Though there are many that suggest the bigger the bass the better the sound quality.. Kids now a days.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #6,156 of 29,490
for the shure's the sale is 50% off of a bunch of headphones at futureshop.CA so it's in canada only

And I just found the xb700's at ebay

But ya thanks, I'll be going with the 440's

EDIT:
Do the 440's require an amp? (Fiio e5)?
(Mainly going to use this on my desktop which has Auzentech Prelude soundcard)

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #6,157 of 29,490
Thanks for the replies. Ill be trying out the HD 25s and dt770s soon, but I also caught sight of the AKG k271 MKIIs. They look really pretty (which I know shouldnt matter, but I like it haha), and I can get em for $170. From what Ive read they're described at 'accurate' and 'tight in the bass' while some say they hate the complete lack of bass. My IEMs (etymotic hf2) were described that way too, but I love them. I value crisp and detailed mids and highs, though I do listen to music with bass (metal etc.) but I dont like it sloppy and it doesnt have to make my head rumble. Anyways, what would you guys say about this headphone? In terms of isolation (I hear its closed), would it be good enough for home/car/school and on planes? Planes I know might be a little loud but I have a Bose triport AE atm to compare. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #6,158 of 29,490

Quote:
for the shure's the sale is 50% off of a bunch of headphones at futureshop.CA so it's in canada only

And I just found the xb700's at ebay

But ya thanks, I'll be going with the 440's

EDIT:
Do the 440's require an amp? (Fiio e5)?
(Mainly going to use this on my desktop which has Auzentech Prelude soundcard)

No amp needed. They sound great out of the box. That is a fantastic deal for the shures. I would get one before they sell out..Oh by the way they sound great for movies and games as well.. Good all around headphone..

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #6,159 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Ill be trying out the HD 25s and dt770s soon, but I also caught sight of the AKG k271 MKIIs. They look really pretty (which I know shouldnt matter, but I like it haha), and I can get em for $170. From what Ive read they're described at 'accurate' and 'tight in the bass' while some say they hate the complete lack of bass. My IEMs (etymotic hf2) were described that way too, but I love them. I value crisp and detailed mids and highs, though I do listen to music with bass (metal etc.) but I dont like it sloppy and it doesnt have to make my head rumble. Anyways, what would you guys say about this headphone? In terms of isolation (I hear its closed), would it be good enough for home/car/school and on planes? Planes I know might be a little loud but I have a Bose triport AE atm to compare. Thanks!

The K271 is not portable at all. It's big and doesn't collapse in any way, so I would not recommend it for school/planes/etc. The HD25-1-ii would be best for your criteria. It's portable and relatively easy to drive, and has excellent isolation. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #6,161 of 29,490
My Beyerdynamic's sound good, the DT-770 80-Ohm are for those that like lots of bass.
My Beyerdynamic DT-770 250-Ohm have bass with good balance, but need an amp.

I'm not a fan of the Sony XB line.

Aug 13, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #6,163 of 29,490
I was using the yuin pk2s, but today a door slammed shut on the cables...ruining it beyond repair probably. And yuin doesnt seem to have any contact details available so i cant email them to see if they will repair it.

I will probably get another pair of PK2s since i love the sound, but i just wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations for a earbud?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-HiFi-Quality-Professional-Earphones-YUIN-PK-2-/280721836755?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item415c534ad3

I see these pk2s are available for about US $50...anyone bought from this seller before?

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #6,165 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Hi, guys I need headphone recommendation.

Budget: $300

Music: mainly rock (for example: Green Day, Ac/dc, guns n roses, the clash)

Amp: for now I've dac/amp ef2

Expectation: great sounding guitars, decent soundstage, not too fatiguing.

As I owned sr60, I'm thinking of grado sr225i or sr325is, and now the question which one will suit my needs better? Maybe you've got other good recommendations for me?

Quote:
Really try to audition 325 before buying them. They take the typical grado sound and up the zing factor by a bit. 

Thanks man. :D  But there is a problem, cause there is no place, where I could listen to them. That's I'm asking for recommendation and opinion, so it won't be total blindshot. Maybe there are other headphone in this price range you'd recommend?

Bump! Maybe someone has other recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back