++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #6,076 of 29,490

Quote:
What are you using them for? Do you know what kind of sound do you like?

I'm sorry I totally forgot to include that in my post.

I plan to do a lot of gaming on my Xbox 360, which I play on my computer monitor. I play a mix of multiplayer games (which focus on knowing where other players are) and single player games (which focus on atmosphere). Since I will be having a roommate, things such as streaming video (movies and TV shows) will also be done with headphones now, most likely.

Currently my sound comes two desktop speakers hooked into a subwoofer, and I think it sounds fine, so I definitely won't notice if I'm not getting AAA+ quality, but I do want to get my money's worth as far as my budget goes.

I've never used headphones before as my main sound source so I'm pretty clueless. Originally I was about to order a Turtle Beach USB headset if that gives you an indication of of my headphones knowledge.

And just to reiterate, my budget is $50-$100 and I will have a roommate that I do not want to disturb.

Edit:Had someone strongly recommend these to me.http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX900-High-Grade-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013P3ZOE

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #6,078 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to get some advice on buying some new headphones. I've never owned a pair of over the ear headphones. Currently, I listen to music through Klipsch s4, which I love, but would like something better. I'm in college and need something that has good sound isolation and does not leak. I mostly listen to hip-hop/ rap, and some rock. I also occassionally watch movies.

I've heard the ATH-M50 is pretty good, but have also read some mixed reviews. Does you guys think the M50 is a good fit for me, or have any other suggestions for headphones? I would like to stay under $150.

Thanks

The M50 would be a reasonable safe bet, but you might want to look into the Ultrasones in that price range as well.  As long as you don't mind the brighter sound signature, Ultrasone is great with those genres of music and with movies.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #6,079 of 29,490

Quote:
The M50 would be a reasonable safe bet, but you might want to look into the Ultrasones in that price range as well.  As long as you don't mind the brighter sound signature, Ultrasone is great with those genres of music and with movies.

Are you talking about the Hifi- 580? and i'm not sure what a "brighter sound signature" means. Sorry, i'm a noob in the world of headphones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #6,080 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to get some advice on buying some new headphones. I've never owned a pair of over the ear headphones. Currently, I listen to music through Klipsch s4, which I love, but would like something better. I'm in college and need something that has good sound isolation and does not leak. I mostly listen to hip-hop/ rap, and some rock. I also occassionally watch movies.

I've heard the ATH-M50 is pretty good, but have also read some mixed reviews. Does you guys think the M50 is a good fit for me, or have any other suggestions for headphones? I would like to stay under $150.

Thanks

all good candidates with strong isolation:
Senn HD280
Shure 840
Audio Technica M50

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #6,081 of 29,490
Try a Shure Srh 440.. Thy are actually overall better balanced and smoother sounding over the M50 imo. And don't cost so much.. However.. There is a reason why the M50 is so scrutinized blogged reviewed ranked high here in head fi.. It might be a gateway drug of sorts for headphones.. They are good however a bit overrated. The shure SRH 440 cleans up the mids the M50 tends to be recessed a bit on. There for not only the shure sound more balanced but they are cheaper... Movies and games on em are awesome..

One important lesson I have learned from the many cans that I own and have sampled is. Just because a can is considered "cheaper and or budget" does not mean they are worse quality or worse sounding.
The Shure SRH440 is a prime example.. I payed $71 for them on sale on amazon and the M50 for $140..They got their prices wrong on this one.. It should be the other way around.. I think when the M50s were being sold for $100 that was when they reached max popularity but @ $160 they sell em for now.. You can buy 2 or 3 headphones that are just as good  if not better for the same price..

One other I can recommend to you.. Are the Kicker HP541.. This can is absolutely great for being $50.. And has better mids and Bass over the m50 making them very awesome with Hiphop.. Better Bass than the shures as well. I think if your in need of a all around headphone that isolates. I would go for the Shures. Heck for the price of one M50 you can get both. .Get your movie on with the shures and listen to hip hop with the kickers..

Quote:

Thanks

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #6,082 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, guys I need headphone recommendation.

Budget: $300
Music: mainly rock (for example: Green Day, Ac/dc, guns n roses, the clash)
Amp: for now I've dac/amp ef2

Expectation: great sounding guitars, decent soundstage, not too fatiguing.

As I owned sr60, I'm thinking of grado sr225i or sr325is, and now the question which one will suit my needs better? Maybe you've got other good recommendations for me?

Quote:
Really try to audition 325 before buying them. They take the typical grado sound and up the zing factor by a bit. 

Thanks man. :D  But there is a problem, cause there is no place, where I could listen to them. That's I'm asking for recommendation and opinion, so it won't be total blindshot. Maybe there are other headphone in this price range you'd recommend?

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #6,083 of 29,490

Quote:
Are you talking about the Hifi- 580? and i'm not sure what a "brighter sound signature" means. Sorry, i'm a noob in the world of headphones.

It means that Ultrasone has a lot of treble, which some people love and others find a bit grating.  They also sound a bit cold and metallic, which some people like because it's crisp and clear, but others find sounds unnatural.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #6,084 of 29,490
Hello guys,

I'm new to headphone world, but I love music and as I was looking into headphones I came across this site. Didn't know there was so many choices! This will be my first real headphones. I was giving a bose qc3 as a gift before and thought they sounded good but I've never heard the higher end headphones. The headphones will be for home use only.  I'll be running them through my sound card at the moment which is a asus xonar essence st which has a headphone amp. I listen to all genres and would prefer a all round headphone if there is one. If i was to say what i focused more on it be rnb rock hip hop and classical music. I will eventually be getting a dac and amp or soon if the price is right. My budget is 300-400 so if you think I can get a good pair of cans and need a better amp and dac then the sound card I will take it into consideration. Budget can go up if buying amp and dac but not a whole lot more. If it makes a difference I have a grado dealer near by I can audition.

Thanks! Looking forward to your suggestions!

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #6,085 of 29,490
Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi Dansk.

The HD650 is great for rock imo, particularly if you enjoy an enveloping and textured presentation. Acoustics are rendered with a nuanced and natural tone, and distorted guitars are layered with body and crunch. Bass can be a tad smeared depending on your gear, but it's deep and musical. Vocals are a major strength.

Don't know much about your amp/dac, but the HD650 scales amazingly well to what it's hooked up to. I believe descriptions of a slow and veiled signature point to deficiencies in the chain. If you find good synergy with your gear, you'll discover a versatile and engaging headphone.

Thanks olor, I appreciate your input.  I think I'm going to end up waiting a bit and saving up for the 650, there don't seem to be a whole lot of other options in that price range.  There's an absurd number of low end headphones, plenty of designer high end stuff, but not much in the middle.  It's pretty much the 880, 650 and 701/2, as far as I can tell.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #6,086 of 29,490

Quote:
You won't be disappointed.  I've had a pair of 555s for I think ~4 years.  They're so beat up / fit me so ridiculously well that I've just never sold them.  They do tend to develop some light cracking though, so do be aware of that. (you'll find more about this + mods if you look them up in the headgear section and scroll down to the wiki)

have you ever taken your pads off and examined your drivers? your "cracking" might be a hair that has got through the pads and is brushing up against the driver

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #6,087 of 29,490
So I'm looking for a pair of headphones that cost a max of $200. I don't have alot of experience with full sized headphones, but I do love my music to sound good. First, The best headphones I've ever had are my etymotic hf2s, which I think sound pretty good--I appreciate the clear mids and highs and 'accurate' overall sound. I realize the bass isn't rumbling or anything but I think it is tight and controlled. So that's where I'm coming from, and I mostly listen to metal (like Bullet for my Valentine) but also symphonic/power metal, so I really value clear mids and highs (female vocals etc.) although I enjoy bass as much as the next guy. Above all though, I value a level presentation ie not having bass that stomps all over the rest of the music, but I'm hoping to get a fuller experience out of full sized headphones, if that makes sense. I've heard you can get better sound for your money out of full sized headphones compared to IEMs (which makes sense to me logically as well as difference in driver size etc.), but please let me know if you dont think I'll be making much of an upgrade from my Ety hf2s. I would be using these at home doing homework etc., but also would like to be able to use them on planes--I travel at least 4 times a year to Hawaii or Cali, so that's either 10 or 20 hours of flight time per trip. B/c of that, I've been thinking about getting closed headphones, but have also heard that they don't necessarily sound as good as open ones? Either way I'd like some noise blockage and comfort is a must. The only full sized headphones I have to compare to are the Bose triports, which block out some sound (but id like to get ones that do more), but the audio is just rather muddy and undefined compared to my IEMs. I've been looking at:

HD 25-1 IIs
HD 598
ATH M50

And some others that I can't remember atm. It would be nice if they looked nice too haha, I might like to wear them into school etc. Sometimes. All advice greatly appreciated!

PS: Also, I listen to: rock, alternative, and a good amount of epic soundtrack type stuff (so a lot of orchestra/drums etc, kinda in line with symphonic metal). Basically I'd love to be able to have a good set of cans for all around stuff, but not seriously lacking/not aggressive for metal (I've heard some people talk about the Senn HD598s like that). Just keep in mind I'm coming from the ety hf2s (if you're familiar) and I love them.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #6,088 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello guys,

I'm new to headphones and just want to get started with something nice and hopefully last me a while. I'll be running them through my sound card at the moment which is a asus xonar essence st which has a headphone amp. I listen to all genres and would prefer a all round headphone if there is one. If i was to say what i focused more on it be rnb rock hip hop and classical music. I will eventually be getting a dac and amp or soon if the price is right. My budget is 300-400 so if you think I can get a good pair of cans and need a better amp and dac then the sound card I will take it into consideration. Budget can go up if buying amp and dac but not a whole lot more. If it makes a difference I have a grado dealer near by I can audition.

Thanks!

Your sound card is fine and has enough power for most headphones you can throw at it. 

A Denon D2000 might be up your alley. Lots of bass, but still even handed enough through the mids to play well to classical.

Quote:
So I'm looking for a pair of headphones that cost a max of $200. I don't have alot of experience with full sized headphones, but I do love my music to sound good. First, The best headphones I've ever had are my etymotic hf2s, which I think sound pretty good--I appreciate the clear mids and highs and 'accurate' overall sound. I realize the bass isn't rumbling or anything but I think it is tight and controlled. So that's where I'm coming from, and I mostly listen to metal (like Bullet for my Valentine) but also symphonic/power metal, so I really value clear mids and highs (female vocals etc.) although I enjoy bass as much as the next guy. Above all though, I value a level presentation ie not having bass that stomps all over the rest of the music, but I'm hoping to get a fuller experience out of full sized headphones, if that makes sense. I've heard you can get better sound for your money out of full sized headphones compared to IEMs (which makes sense to me logically as well as difference in driver size etc.), but please let me know if you dont think I'll be making much of an upgrade from my Ety hf2s. I would be using these at home doing homework etc., but also would like to be able to use them on planes--I travel at least 4 times a year to Hawaii or Cali, so that's either 10 or 20 hours of flight time per trip. B/c of that, I've been thinking about getting closed headphones, but have also heard that they don't necessarily sound as good as open ones? Either way I'd like some noise blockage and comfort is a must. The only full sized headphones I have to compare to are the Bose triports, which block out some sound (but id like to get ones that do more), but the audio is just rather muddy and undefined compared to my IEMs. I've been looking at:

HD 25-1 IIs
HD 598
ATH M50

And some others that I can't remember atm. It would be nice if they looked nice too haha, I might like to wear them into school etc. Sometimes. All advice greatly appreciated!

PS: Also, I listen to: rock, alternative, and a good amount of epic soundtrack type stuff (so a lot of orchestra/drums etc, kinda in line with symphonic metal). Basically I'd love to be able to have a good set of cans for all around stuff, but not seriously lacking/not aggressive for metal (I've heard some people talk about the Senn HD598s like that). Just keep in mind I'm coming from the ety hf2s (if you're familiar) and I love them.

For your requirements and genres, the HD25-1-ii is the easy pick. Great sound overall, and excellent isolation and portability. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #6,090 of 29,490

Quote:

HD 25-1 IIs
HD 598
ATH M50

It's a toss up between the hd25 and the m50, the hd25's sound better in every way but if price is a factor the m50's are the way to go. they clamp super hard and block out a lot of noise, they sound amazing and for the price nothing comes close. They can be EQ'd out for a substantial amount of bass without ruining the rest of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back