++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #5,956 of 29,490
I'm still looking for headphones that will have good sound quality, durable and comfortable.

1. Around $100.  Willing to spend more, but no more than $200, if its well worth the extra money
  2. Mainly for Rock, and some of r&b, pop, and rap
  3. Will be used on iPod and pc w/ onboard sound card
  4. Will buy cheap amp if necessary

Any more suggestion other than the srh440?

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #5,957 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm still looking for headphones that will have good sound quality, durable and comfortable.

1. Around $100.  Willing to spend more, but no more than $200, if its well worth the extra money

id say either the ath m50 or senn hd555 with the 595 mod

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #5,960 of 29,490
 The hd595 mod is INCREDIBLY easy. And the cans do well with pretty much any genre, although they're a little more spacious, but still agressive enough to handle rock and pop. These headphones will definitely shine if you throw in an amp of sorts, but the choice is yours.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5,961 of 29,490
Hey guys. So I've got a bit of a dilemma here. Which headphones- Sennheiser HD438, or Grado SR225i? I listen to rock music, and I want/need a strong, good bass. I listen to my music from my iPod, and don't use a headphone amp. Thanks! 

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #5,962 of 29,490
never tried the senn hd438 but the grado 225i will do great for rock and have good bass even without an amp. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #5,964 of 29,490

Quote:

Sony V6 is somewhere around $60 when you can find it on sale. The M50 is popular, and the Shure 840 is on sale for $130 through Amazon right now. 

Quote:
Thanks, I'm looking at the fio e7 or the headstage arrow, the ultrasone pro 2900 or out of my price range, anything else that you can reccomend?

Depends how much bass you want for hip hop. Open and bassy typically do not go together. The Senn PX100-ii is actually a very nice headphone and quite affordable.

Quote:
Hey guys. So I've got a bit of a dilemma here. Which headphones- Sennheiser HD438, or Grado SR225i? I listen to rock music, and I want/need a strong, good bass. I listen to my music from my iPod, and don't use a headphone amp. Thanks! 

Grados have a punchy aggressive bass, but many would hesitate to call it "strong". The HD438 easily has more bass volume.

Quote:
hello

i need a headphone that will have more treble than hd595 (but not k702 bright) and better bass (both quality and quantity), must be open. budget £300. i'd like to surprise my brother with a nice present :)

cheers

Ultrasone Pro2900 or HFI2400. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #5,966 of 29,490
I'm looking to sell my 595s (made a classified for them) in favor of some closed headphones that are a bit more portable. Currently thinking about getting the Sony MDR-V6 since it isn't huge and offers some sound isolation. Any other headphones I should be considering which meet this criteria?

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5,967 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to sell my 595s (made a classified for them) in favor of some closed headphones that are a bit more portable. Currently thinking about getting the Sony MDR-V6 since it isn't huge and offers some sound isolation. Any other headphones I should be considering which meet this criteria?

What type of sound are you looking for..? What type of music you mostly listen to.?  You looking for a do it all can or something with more Bass punch for example?

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #5,968 of 29,490
Looking for something closed and under $150 that doesn't need to be amped. Source will be my laptop, an older ipod and my smartphone. I'll be listening mostly to rock music with some occasional movies/tv shows. I've done some research and have been looking at the Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1, Denon DN-HP700, and possibly the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 if I could find them for under $150. I have some Grado SR60s that I like, but I'm not necessarily looking for something that would sound like closed Grados.

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #5,969 of 29,490
I will be buying the Asus N55sf and the sony xb700 or xb1000. If I listen music from the laptop should I use an amp for better sound? Because it says that there is already an amp in the laptop. I have an old Sony amplifier. which is better ( laptop>amp>headphones or laptop>headphones). And what about DAC should I buy one ? How will it help me?

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #5,970 of 29,490
Well, I've had my Beyerdynamic DT880's since.. 2005, I believe. They were the first real pair of headphones I bought after some Senn 595's and I've been using the 880's daily ever since.

Tragically, the right driver is finally starting to die, and I suppose it's time for new headphones. I've been driving them with just a Total Bithead for the past year or so (hard times, had to sell some stuff), but I figured I could afford to spend some money on audio gear again.

So, that said, I'm basically back at square one. Should I buy a new pair of DT880's and a Shiit Valhalla/Lyr (that was my planned combo, anyway), or is there a driver replacement that I can do? Or maybe a different pair of cans instead of just another pair of 880's?

As a bit of background, I've been through AKG701's, Senn 650/600's and a handful of other mid-range headphones and I still absolutely adore the 880's. Amping has been pretty random. I had a MX3 Slam for a bit, two fairly hefty sold state amps I built, then I drove headphones with a vintage Kenwood 600 for a while, after that it was a Little Dot MkIII and now I'm down all the way to the aforementioned Total Bithead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back