++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 30, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #5,641 of 29,490
All right head-fi'ers, I have made a decision. I wanted some input before pulling the trigger.

After thinking about what I wanted in my next pair of cans, I decided that I wanted more tight, controlled bass and a more aggressive sound signature. I thank those who recommended the Denon AH-D2000 and Beyer DT880/980. I was unable to audition the Beyers, but the D2000 did sound like a natural improvement over the M50 I am currently using.

But since I'm looking at bass and matching cans with electronica/trance/techno/house - I found a lot of praise for the Ultrasone HFI-580.

The HFI-580 looks very appealing and I found many first hand impressions of users who ran both the Ultrasone and ATH-M50.

Coming from the ATH-M50, will I be impressed by the HFI-580?

Dare I say it, but if the HFI-580 give me what I want - I may have fallen in to the dreaded ATH-M50 hype...

J/K

I love my M50's - I just want a bit more bass for other genres.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #5,642 of 29,490
Yeah im just pretty new and don't wan't to unnecessary waste money on the wrong headphones (especially in that price range^^) weird thing is although i live in germany that the senns etc are cheaper to buy in other countries + pay customs and tax and still get them about 100€ cheaper -.-

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #5,643 of 29,490

Quote:
All right head-fi'ers, I have made a decision. I wanted some input before pulling the trigger.

After thinking about what I wanted in my next pair of cans, I decided that I wanted more tight, controlled bass and a more aggressive sound signature. I thank those who recommended the Denon AH-D2000 and Beyer DT880/980. I was unable to audition the Beyers, but the D2000 did sound like a natural improvement over the M50 I am currently using.

But since I'm looking at bass and matching cans with electronica/trance/techno/house - I found a lot of praise for the Ultrasone HFI-580.

The HFI-580 looks very appealing and I found many first hand impressions of users who ran both the Ultrasone and ATH-M50.

Coming from the ATH-M50, will I be impressed by the HFI-580?

Dare I say it, but if the HFI-580 give me what I want - I may have fallen in to the dreaded ATH-M50 hype...

J/K

I love my M50's - I just want a bit more bass for other genres.

Also consider the Audio Technica pro700mk2 and Ultrasone Pro900.

Quote:
Yeah im just pretty new and don't wan't to unnecessary waste money on the wrong headphones (especially in that price range^^) weird thing is although i live in germany that the senns etc are cheaper to buy in other countries + pay customs and tax and still get them about 100€ cheaper -.-

Have you heard any of the midrange headphones of each brand? I highly suggest getting a taste for them before dropping the big bucks for the flagships so you can decide which is right for you. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #5,644 of 29,490
Hello all (especially to those reading),

I've got that itch to buy something, and I think I want to upgrade/buy 'better' headphones. I've currently got the set up that's shown in my signature, but I'm currently looking at either the AKG K702s, or the Sennheiser HD650s. Now, I've always liked a warmer, deep sound from my music as I feel more envolved in the emotions of the piece that way... but I also like an open sound, as close to listening to speakers -or the real thing- as possible. I LOVE the sound of my HD595s coming through the Mk II amp (using the E5 as a pre-amp for extra bass), but I'm looking for a more natural sound stage (I think? I'm relatively new to this. I'm an audiophile wannabe at the moment.)

I've read that the K702s produce a more 'analytical' sound, but also have a very open, spacious sound. I like that. But the HD650s are supposedly more lush, and I like that too. My preference is probably to lean towards the more warm sound, but I am interested to know if the HD650s produce a more 'open' type of sound compared to the HD595s? Is there a significant difference between the level of realism (i.e. as though you were there in the room) between the two Sennheiser models? Basically, I'm interested in a comparison between the K702s and the HD650s, and a comparison between the HD595s and the HD650s (if that's not too much to ask for).

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #5,645 of 29,490
I personally did not find a "huge" difference between the Sennheisers from the 5xx to the 6xx models. Improvement for sure, and the Senns are definitely "warmer" than the AKGs, though personally I would go with an AKG just for something different. 

Both have strong mids, with the Senns having some focus towards the lower mids, and the AKGs having focus towards the uppermids. I would rate soundstage about the same, though with the AKGs feeling a little wider and the Senns more "ambient".

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #5,646 of 29,490
Hello head-fi!
I'm looking for a pair of over-the-ears. My budget is ~$50. I primarily listen to house/trance music. I'm looking for something with decent isolation (i live in the city and i primarily listen to music on the train) and looks decent. lastly, i'd like a pair of headphones with a detachable cable (or at least a cord on 1 side instead of a Y-cord)

currently I'm looking at the Sony MDR-V6 and the Equation Audio EP3070 (which is apparently discontinued)

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #5,647 of 29,490

Quote:
I personally did not find a "huge" difference between the Sennheisers from the 5xx to the 6xx models. Improvement for sure, and the Senns are definitely "warmer" than the AKGs, though personally I would go with an AKG just for something different. 

Both have strong mids, with the Senns having some focus towards the lower mids, and the AKGs having focus towards the uppermids. I would rate soundstage about the same, though with the AKGs feeling a little wider and the Senns more "ambient".

do like the idea of going for something different since I like the HD595s rather a lot as it is, so having something different is definitely a pro. And having read about the K702's speaker-like sound, I'm very tempted by them. Very tempted. But the supposed 'clinical' sound of the AKGs is really what's stopping me from pressing the order button right now. I don't hate a clinical sound, but it can, at times, remove me a little from the music's emotions. I'm just curious if the wide sound will compensate for any clinical sounds coming from the AKGs? If it feels more like I'm 'in the room', then -to a degree- I'm not too concerned with a lack of warmth (although I'm sure there must be ways to get a little more warmth from them? I tend to set my EQ to acoustic on my iPod, and flick the bass button on my E5 as a pre-amp just to give it a bit more depth, which is purely a personal preference there).

Hmm, I'll wait for a few more replies before I form a decision. Thank you very much for your reply, very much appreciated.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #5,648 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello head-fi!
I'm looking for a pair of over-the-ears. My budget is ~$50. I primarily listen to house/trance music. I'm looking for something with decent isolation (i live in the city and i primarily listen to music on the train) and looks decent. lastly, i'd like a pair of headphones with a detachable cable (or at least a cord on 1 side instead of a Y-cord)

currently I'm looking at the Sony MDR-V6 and the Equation Audio EP3070 (which is apparently discontinued)

Thanks!

Sony ZX700 is $76 at amazon.com, looks better than the V6 that's for sure.

Not sure about headphones with detachable cables, but there is the Sony MDR-EX600 IEM (the best there is under $150) with detachable cables, and it looks good.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #5,649 of 29,490
Have: senn cx400, monster turbine, grado sr80, akg k518
Like: clarity in he sr80, bass in the turbines
Dont like: cx300/400 - muddy, akg k518 - tight grip that hurts after a while, sr80 - weak bass, monster's build quality
Looking for: full sized headphones under 250$

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #5,650 of 29,490
I am looking to stay at about $100. I dont have the trained ear, im not even close to becoming an audiofile. I just want a pair of headphones that i dont feel are over priced (like the dre beats) or dont sound like crap. Like i sadi earlier all i really listen to is country and hip hop. I dont need the ridiculous bass, but i would like to be able to tell its there....

-please help

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #5,651 of 29,490

Quote:
Sony ZX700 is $76 at amazon.com, looks better than the V6 that's for sure.

Not sure about headphones with detachable cables, but there is the Sony MDR-EX600 IEM (the best there is under $150) with detachable cables, and it looks good.

[size=medium]
thanks for the reply! the sony zx700s look nice but are too much for me. and i have a pair of iems, im looking to try something different
[/size]

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #5,652 of 29,490
Jul 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #5,653 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking to stay at about $100. I dont have the trained ear, im not even close to becoming an audiofile. I just want a pair of headphones that i dont feel are over priced (like the dre beats) or dont sound like crap. Like i sadi earlier all i really listen to is country and hip hop. I dont need the ridiculous bass, but i would like to be able to tell its there....

-please help

Your requirements are pretty vague...... anyway check out Audio Technica AD700, A700, Sony ZX700, and Jays v-Jays.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #5,654 of 29,490
Hey Head-fi!

So i'm new to the hi fi audio world and have no clue where to start haha. I'm looking for a pair of over-the-ear headphones for ~150, but an willing to pay a little bit more if there is something a lot better. I would prefer closed cans but not necessary at all. I mainly listen to, Grateful Dead, other Jam bands, all kinds of rock, metal, and some techno. Very little rap/ hip hop so bass isn't too important. I will be using my Iphone/macbook as the source and will not be using a headphone amp (just yet at least, I hope to buy one eventually). All of my audio files are mp3's but i will be trying to buy more cd's/ downloading lossless files but I also don't want the music I have already to sound like crap. I also listen to a lot of music off of http://www.archive.org/details/audio mostly for live dead shows and some other jam bands (would live audience recordings even be listenable with a quality pair of headphones?).

So far I have been looking at the Shure SRH840, Grado SR80i's, and the Senn HD595 but I would like some more info (mainly how they will preform without an amp). And a recommendation on a good starter desktop headphone amp would also be much appreciated.

Also a little off topic but if you could help that would be amazing, I recently found a old turn table (technics SL-BD20) and I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to listen to vinyl would be. Could i just buy a phono pre amp and plug that into a headphone amp? 

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #5,655 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm looking to get my a set of nice over ear headphones.
I listen to mostly Rock/Metal/Punk music, and am stuck on which to get.

I was considering the Dr Dre Studios (Tried them in BestBuy and was impressed), however having done a bit of reading, I realize that they are not made for the type of music I listen to.

So, I'm mostly wondering which of these two is better, they seem to be priced nearly the same, however i cannot find a comparison between the two and don't know enough of the technical side to make an informed decision. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently deciding between; Sennheiser PXC 450 Vs HD598

Which of the two is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back