++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 27, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #5,581 of 29,490
^ Roll tubes. You'll get more substantial results. If you must invest in a cable, don't pay mega bucks on the boutique brands. Perhaps talk to one of the DIYer's in the cable thread about copper. I had a Mogami cable that greatly improved width of soundstage and bass impact and extension. A cable should be your final expense though. Address other deficiencies in your chain first.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #5,582 of 29,490

Quote:
Address other deficiencies in your chain first.

Thanks for your reply olor1n. What would you suggest I do after I roll tubes. Invest in a better DAC? I was thinking about getting a
'M2Tech HiFace USB Digital Audio Interface' which could improve sound quality with my high res audio files. Given my chain of equipment, what would you suggest I upgrade next after the tube roll?

Cheers

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #5,583 of 29,490

I'd  say wait and see.  Cables don't usually make a dramatic difference, and it takes a really well-tuned ear (or the placebo effect) to draw out distinctions between decent DAC setups.  Maybe some good tubes will be just the thing.  If you have that setup and are genuinely unhappy with them, there's very little chance that new wires are going to magically make it all better.  In that situation, you can do a couple things:

• Give it some time.  Higher end headphones aren't designed to throw bass around like cheap consumer headphones.  Listen to your new setup for a week or two, then go back to the cheapies.
  • Maybe you're not a Sennheiser person.  Not everyone is.  You might want to trade them in for some Beyer DT880/600 or DT990/600, which will dig in a little deeper.  I wouldn't even consider that for a few weeks, though.
  • The big part of the chain that's often ignored is the file quality itself.  If you are listening to low-bitrate MP3s of music mastered with too much compression, the Sennheisers are going to reveal it way more than your $40 cheapies.  What kind of music do you listen to?

Quote:

Thanks for your reply olor1n. What would you suggest I do after I roll tubes. Invest in a better DAC? I was thinking about getting a
'M2Tech HiFace USB Digital Audio Interface' which could improve sound quality with my high res audio files. Given my chain of equipment, what would you suggest I upgrade next after the tube roll?

Cheers

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #5,585 of 29,490
Hey Joel, thanks for your input.

I have had the HD650's for a few weeks actually but only just got the Woo. I definitely noticed the 650's to be underpowered without adequate ampage.

I am mainly into electronic music with an emphasis on Dubstep. I am just starting to create my own music as well, but I appreciate all types of music (except country and death metal I guess).

I listen to nothing but 320kbps and can tell (especially with my setup) when audio compression is involved. I probably shouldn't have mentioned my $40 cheapies but the bass is quite impressive on them. Don't get me wrong, the Senns are WAY better at pretty much everything compared to my other headphones but there is that sense of wanting more. The bass is tight and deep but it doesn't have that presence I require.

I would be keen to try new cans but we shall see if the new tubes do the trick.

Also, I may have my standards too high in the bass department... I have a 4k sound system in my car that can pump the bass quite sufficiently :)

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #5,587 of 29,490
I apologize profusely, I saw this thread only after I clumsily started a new one. Could an admin delete it?

Here is my question,

I am looking to buy a pair of headphones, my priorities are - in order of importance to me

• Quality of noise cancellation: I will use those in noisy environments, where noise cancellation will be far more important than crisp midtones
  • Indulgent circumaural comfort: I want my hears to be gently hugged
  • Very low amount of leaking: I'm concerned about disturbing people, but really it's about privacy
  • Sound quality: I love music, but my eardrums were damaged by severe otitis as a kid, this is why this is so low in the list. I mostly listen to italian opera, psychedelic trance, audio books and pop music.
  • Price: I have money to spend, but I'd prefer to stay under $400, and if the best choice happens to be $50, then by all means I don't need to spend more. 

Given these specifications, could you kindly give me some recommendations. I understand that most people on this forum would give a much higher weight to sound quality, it is an audiophile forum after all, but keep in mind that the the quality of my eardrums puts a hard ceiling on the quality of the sound.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #5,588 of 29,490

Quote:

The SR80 and HD25 are completely different headphones, and you should choose according to need and budget. The grado is fully open and not really portable, with strong mids and highs. The HD25 is a small and rugged portable with excellent isolation, with mild emphasis on the bass and high end. There's also a huge price difference, though to be fair you should probably compare against the SR225 which is at least in the same price range.

Quote:
So, I'm looking at the Pro 900 (upgrading from heavily modded M50) but I have a fear of them not sounding the way I want them to. I'm looking for something warm+bright, but also has smooth mids, immersive lows, deep bass clarity, and a clever soundstage. To the Pro 900 owners, should I go for it? Or will it be cold and harsh for my tastes? In that case, what's a suitable headphone for around $350?

I found the 750 mids recessed and overwhelmed by the bass already. By all accounts, the 900 is even more V shaped. If you're not afraid of modding though, Ultrasones have quite a few options and you could tune it to your liking.

Quote:
I apologize profusely, I saw this thread only after I clumsily started a new one. Could an admin delete it?

Here is my question,

I am looking to buy a pair of headphones, my priorities are - in order of importance to me

• Quality of noise cancellation: I will use those in noisy environments, where noise cancellation will be far more important than crisp midtones
  • Indulgent circumaural comfort: I want my hears to be gently hugged
  • Very low amount of leaking: I'm concerned about disturbing people, but really it's about privacy
  • Sound quality: I love music, but my eardrums were damaged by severe otitis as a kid, this is why this is so low in the list. I mostly listen to italian opera, psychedelic trance, audio books and pop music.
  • Price: I have money to spend, but I'd prefer to stay under $400, and if the best choice happens to be $50, then by all means I don't need to spend more. 

Given these specifications, could you kindly give me some recommendations. I understand that most people on this forum would give a much higher weight to sound quality, it is an audiophile forum after all, but keep in mind that the the quality of my eardrums puts a hard ceiling on the quality of the sound.

Bose QC15 - I never thought I'd recommend Bose, but they are quite comfortable and have good noise cancellation
Sennheiser PXC350/450 - Comfortable fit like the HD280 and good isolation even without the noise cancellation, good sound
Denon AH-NC800 - don't know much about this one, just adding it to the list though

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #5,589 of 29,490

Quote:
I found the 750 mids recessed and overwhelmed by the bass already. By all accounts, the 900 is even more V shaped. If you're not afraid of modding though, Ultrasones have quite a few options and you could tune it to your liking.

Excellent. M50 mods have done wonders.  I take it the Pro series and the M50 have similar sound signatures aside from the growing dip in midrange?

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5,590 of 29,490
Okay so here's my problem I have had the [size=x-small]Sennheiser 202's for a couple months now and even though I think the sound quality it great the comfort just isn't there. I want to upgrade but I have no idea what I should get. I generally listen to music when I go to bed and I can't sleep if it's quiet so I have a fan next to me which means a open headset probably isn't a good idea? I was thinking maybe the 280's or the HD 448 but I have really no clue lol I would like to stay with Sennheiser[/size] though cuz that's the only brand I'm familiar with. Also I'm not going to spend over 100 bucks for a headset since I don't listen to music that much but when I do I want to be comfortable both physically and sound wise.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #5,591 of 29,490
The Pro series has much more thump to it, and soundstage is definitely different.

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #5,592 of 29,490

Quote:
It's tough to cover that range within your budget. How about something like the Fostex T50rp with a Nuforce uDac2.

How much would it cost to adequately cover that range, in your opinion?

Quote:
Check out the Audio Technica ATH AD700 - these get reccommended a ton for video games and the type of music you listed, they have a great soundstage as well. Not sure if you were looking for closed or open, these are open.

Thanks for the suggestion, 
How is the bass on the AD700?
I'm not really a basshead, but I would still like to "feel" the bass drop.
Also would you recommend any amp and/or dac to pair them with?

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #5,593 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The more expensive headphones don't *need* a premium amp and/or source. They won't make your music sound worse unless you're working with some really low grade and poorly encoded mp3 files. 

I would say give the Denon D2000 a try, or perhaps a Beyer DT880/990.

Quote:
I'll second the Denon D2k or Beyer DT880/990. Mind you, the Beyers may sound sharp/too trebly for some, but should do really well for EDM. Denons if you listen to Classical/Jazz more often.

I would say out of for every 10 hours of listening, only 1 hour is devoted to Classical/Jazz/Acoustic. I mainly listen to EDT/electronica/DHT and rock. This was the primary reason I went with the M50s because they match up adequately with the types of music I listen to.

Is the sound signature of the Denons more suited towards Classical/Jazz as oppossed to the Beyers? One common complaint about the M50s is that the bass is too prominent, mids are recessed, and highs can be sharp/bright. I find the bass to be adequate, maybe slightly overpowering but I have yet to experience the recessed mids. Need more listening to see if this really bothers me.

Also correct me if I'm wrong here: are the Denons closed back and the Beyers open? What are the common characteristics of the D2000 / DT880?

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #5,594 of 29,490
Hi Everybody!

I have decided to buy a new headphone after Grado SR-225i, but I can't decide what to buy. I would like to stay in the 500$ budget if possible.
My choices are the following:

Sennheiser HD650
Denon D2000
Beyerdynamic DT880Pro

If you could tell me which one is the best from these three, that would be really great. If you suggest anything else, please don't hesitate to tell me, but it has to be circumaural.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #5,595 of 29,490

Quote:

I would say out of for every 10 hours of listening, only 1 hour is devoted to Classical/Jazz/Acoustic. I mainly listen to EDT/electronica/DHT and rock. This was the primary reason I went with the M50s because they match up adequately with the types of music I listen to.

Is the sound signature of the Denons more suited towards Classical/Jazz as oppossed to the Beyers? One common complaint about the M50s is that the bass is too prominent, mids are recessed, and highs can be sharp/bright. I find the bass to be adequate, maybe slightly overpowering but I have yet to experience the recessed mids. Need more listening to see if this really bothers me.

Also correct me if I'm wrong here: are the Denons closed back and the Beyers open? What are the common characteristics of the D2000 / DT880?

Well, you can't really go wrong with either, as I find that they do things very well with the genres you listed, but each sort of in their own way: D2000 a little more natural, organic, warmer, and possibly a little more immersive; DT880 colder, more analytical, punchier bass and higher treble extension and louder treble. That is the reason I said the Denons sound better with Classical and Jazz. But then, everything is relative, since purely for Classical and Jazz, in a comparable price range, the HD 650 does things better than the Denons.
Yes, the Denons are closed back, but don't really isolate too well and leak sound, the Beyers are open. I think both cans - which ever you choose, will suit you quite well; both have good bass, good soundstage (the Denons may sound more hollow since they are closed back, the Beyers more airy due to their increased treble) and are forward sounding, all of which are really important for EDM. I don't really know what EDT is? I found DHT on youtube, and from the one track I listened to, it's trance, right (which falls under EDM)?
Which can you prefer in the end is a choice I cannot make for you, but both should do their job well. Mind you, people recommend Ultrasones a lot too, so you might want to look into those as well, but I can't comment since I haven't heard all/didn't like the sound signature of those I heard (that doesn't mean they're no good for the genres you listed though, just a matter of personal preference). Also, I don't listen too much to EDM, so someone who listens to this genre more may have a more valid opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back