++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 20, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #5,433 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply koolkat,
what about HD202 i think it will have more bass than HD408 .
Any other suggestions in that price range?

Sorry for the late reply Eagle.

I honestly cannot comment on that since the only headphones I've auditioned are the 418, 428 and 438. 408 is slightly different from the other headphones in the 4*8 line since they are open headphones (the others are closed) meaning the 408s leak sound but generally open headphones have a wider soundstage so to speak. I can't give you proper advice on this.

From all the time I've been lurking on these forums, I have gathered that Sennheiser doesn't give you extreme boomy bass.
What do you look for in your headphones? Comfort, design, sound quality, bass, etc ? What is your price range? Maybe if you give us a list of the types of songs you listen to, we can give better suggestions.

The best thing to do is try the headphones and judge them for yourself. If that doesn't work, look around for reviews, compare them and weigh the pros and cons. These forums is a great source of info but you have to judge the info for yourself. Sometimes you find fanboys promoting their stuff. Try to look for honest reviews.

I think the Sennheiser HD438 would be a good choice but it seems like they're a little over your price range. I have a review on the HD438, it's not very detailed, but it's what I got from about 2 months of using them.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #5,434 of 29,490
Well I guess Im in the same boat as most of the others in this thread. Found the site looking for new headphones... I love listening to people talk gadgets :)

So I could use some tips on what to look at... Ive got some fairly specific ideas of what I want but not much idea of what models to look at.

Im after something for home use. Music, gaming, and movies. My music tastes are mostly metal, classic rock, and guitar and instrumental type stuff, but Im not especially concerned with focusing on them so much as a good all round sound.

My other criteria is I spend a lot of time listening to podcasts - the audio quality doesnt matter just for spoken word obviously, but I want something comfortable and with good isolation so that I can keep the volume low without being distracted by outside noise. Comfort-wise I much prefer circumaural - Ive found I tend to shake supras off my head too easily :p And finally, forgiving of source and not requiring an amp.

Budget... maybe around $150?

Any help welcome!

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #5,435 of 29,490
Ok, so it all comes down to this:

Sony mdr-v6 for $46 refurbished
or
Creative Aurvana Live! For $60 New

Which would you recommend? I've read reviews for both bit don't quite understand hoe the compare head-to-head. Are the Cal!s better to merit the higher price? How would the soundstage compare on the two? Thanks!

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #5,436 of 29,490
From my experience, the MDR-V6 doesnt have much of a soundstage. It's good at separation of instruments from one another, so you can focus on each individual instrument (this is it's best attribute, imo), but placement of instruments within a perceived space isn't great.

But i heartily recommend the V6s anyway (although, disclaimer: i havent heard the CALs). They're my personal favorite headphones at the moment (I own the Grado SR60s, Koss KSC75, and Sony MDRV6s), and they're a steal at $46

Quote:
Ok, so it all comes down to this:

Sony mdr-v6 for $46 refurbished
or
Creative Aurvana Live! For $60 New

Which would you recommend? I've read reviews for both bit don't quite understand hoe the compare head-to-head. Are the Cal!s better to merit the higher price? How would the soundstage compare on the two? Thanks!

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #5,438 of 29,490
Hello everyone, I am a new member here but I have been reading this forum for quite sometime now.  I want to buy a new pair of quality headphones (would prefer closed ones) - I am pretty new to this and in no way I am an audiophile, but love good music and want to move up the ladder from the crappy, cheap headphones I use. :)

Main use would be listening from my ipod and laptop.  Budget range not exceeding $110.  Genres I listen to are rock, alternative and metal. 
I am looking for something that's easy to move around with and provides good isolation.  I travel a lot on the subway and fly quite often, so don't want to bother the people on the train and the plane. Also, don't want something with an extremely long chord.

Hd280, HD438, Shure 440 and Sony V6 are ones I have read great things about.  Can anyone tell me how portable they are and how effective isolation they provide.  Also, is AD700 a good choice?  Please feel free  to throw in other names into the mix as well.  Thanks a lot in advance!

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #5,439 of 29,490
ad700 is a bad portable choice

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #5,441 of 29,490
Hey guys, I just threw my HD555 cans out which were great but finally after 5 years succumb to a fatal blow as I lobbed them across the room due to some really bad news lol, stupid idea. Now looking for a replacement, wow hd555 costs over 100 now? they were 50 when I bought them :frowning2:. I'm not too strict with the price (£100-300) but I'd like something that has a very good/wide/tall sound stage while also having more fun bass then the HD5xx (which is probably every headphone lol). THANKS!

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #5,442 of 29,490
I am going to buy a set of over ear headphones.  I normally only use IEM's but want something more comfortable for home use.  I have been considering the Denon adh-2000 or denon adh 5000 based on the reviews on amazon.com.  My budget is up to 500 dollars...any suggestions?

I currently have all of the monster turbines(not a fan), triplefi 10s, shure se535s, and the superfi 5s...I prefer the sound of the triple 10s.  I have less than 5 hours of use on each of the turbine sets, so maybe I should burn them in before I give up on them?  I need 15 posts before I can sell them on here.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #5,443 of 29,490

The HD438s don't block outside noise well, but they are extremely comfortable for long periods of usage.
It can act as nice comfy ear muffs if you live in temperate regions (Canada and stuffs) but for people living in the tropics/hotter climate, it's not good for portable use. It gets real hot on a sunny day.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #5,444 of 29,490
Hey I am currently looking at getting some headphones for on or under 80$ right now i am currently looking at getting the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, though i have heard good things about the Superlux HD-688 B's as well. My only problem with the Superlux is that they are apparently lacking in bass which is where the HD 280's would beat out the HD-688 B's.  

I would appreciate any thoughts on theses headphones as well as other recommendations.  Things i am looking for in my headphones would be that they are over the ear headphones, i would be using these for electric, dubstep, as well as main steam rock and hiphop, as well as some relaxed gaming every once in a while.  if i think of anything else i need to add i will edit this post (can i? this is my first time posting) and if you need a question answered please ask away.  Thanks!

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #5,445 of 29,490
Hi,

I've been browsing the forums and have just joined. I'm trying to decide between two headphones, Denon AHD 2000 and Shure SRH 940.

Reading the forums, the sound of the Sure's seem ideal for my sound preferences; the denon's may have a little too much bass?

But comfort is very important. I'm unable to put headphones on and off myself, so they will be on all night long at times. The Denon's seem to always be praised for comfort, wheras, some think the Sure's are comfortable and some don't.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to try them. I really want to buy the Sure 940s, but I'm just hesitating over the comfort question.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back