++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #5,446 of 29,490

Thanks for your suggestion. What's your take on the other ones?
Quote:
The HD438s don't block outside noise well, but they are extremely comfortable for long periods of usage.
It can act as nice comfy ear muffs if you live in temperate regions (Canada and stuffs) but for people living in the tropics/hotter climate, it's not good for portable use. It gets real hot on a sunny day.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #5,447 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey I am currently looking at getting some headphones for on or under 80$ right now i am currently looking at getting the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, though i have heard good things about the Superlux HD-688 B's as well. My only problem with the Superlux is that they are apparently lacking in bass which is where the HD 280's would beat out the HD-688 B's.  

I would appreciate any thoughts on theses headphones as well as other recommendations.  Things i am looking for in my headphones would be that they are over the ear headphones, i would be using these for electric, dubstep, as well as main steam rock and hiphop, as well as some relaxed gaming every once in a while.  if i think of anything else i need to add i will edit this post (can i? this is my first time posting) and if you need a question answered please ask away.  Thanks!

Hi, I haven't heard the two headphones, but I don't think the Superlux HD681 is lacking bass. I like them, they have good sound stage and are neutral. They're not pretty though. And yes, you can edit your posts, look in the bottom left corner.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #5,448 of 29,490
@jgooner Plucked some statistics off headroom, I'm not really sure how to interpret these properly though.

graphCompare.php

Overgeneralised way of interpreting the graph: If the left side of the graph is higher than the right side of the graph,
it is bass-heavy. If the right side is higher than the left side, then it is more treble-focused.

graphCompare.php

The lower the line graph the better.
However, I've heard that the HD280 Pros are mediocre headphones so don't let statistics fool you :D

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #5,449 of 29,490
@Koolkat - Thanks.  I guess what I am looking for is an overall balanced set, so I don't really know if these graphs convey the right information or not. :D  I actually have read some great things about HD280, the only con is that they have a really long chord (not sure if that's true, I just read somewhere, lol), so not ultra portable.  Per that graph, Shure 440 doesn't provide good isolation?

Have you used all of them? How do you compare the chord length, portability and comfort among them? Thanks!

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #5,450 of 29,490

Quote:
So i've stupidly got a pair of ad-700, they're great headphones, very comfortable and light but huge, I'm sending them back as we speak but can anyone
suggest a pair of closed back headphones around 80-100 pounds for travelling and alittle bit of movie/gaming on my laptop?

Senn PX200-ii are nice.

Quote:
Thank you for your replay, I edited my post to be more detailed.

Just repost the question with all relevant info. Your post is buried now.

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm brand new on the forum and saw that quite some people seem really well informed so I decided to stop looking and join in since I'm getting quite interested in headphones myself lately.

Introduction aside, I could really use some advice on which headphones I should buy next.

I currently own a pair of WeSC headphones (Ed Banger), which serve me well and haven't had any issues with them for the past year and a half.
After a few of my friends said I could really up the sound quality of anything I listen to, I've decided to purchase new headphones (while still using my old one for outdoor and as a backup).

Problem being, there is no definitive sources or what I listen to, I guess the most often is just portable (iPhone) or from my laptop.
What I listen to is also quite diverse, going from electronic (mostly) to metal/rock to jazz. Not so much into classical music.
I also play games, but I any pair of headphones will do for this 
tongue_smile.gif

A few of my friends suggested I should look into AKG headphones, while others have suggested Sennheiser. I am quite clueless as to which brand is ''better'' or which I should go for. I'm open to any suggestions, even other brands.
I currently live in Belgium so ordering from amazon UK or France should be no problem.
A plus side would be that the headphones aren't too bulky and still good for ''on the go'' but not necessarily. Noise cancelling is also a welcome bonus.

My budget is about 100-150 euros. If anyone could help me on this I'd really appreciate it.
Also, maybe saying which is better for which genre/purpose could help me out (if going into that much detail, but I think for the price range I'm in this doesn't matter as much).

Thanks!

Skip the noise cancelling for now. It's a high cost component that typically detracts from sound quality.

AKG makes some decent portables that have good isolation and strong bass. The K81 or K518 are good, as well as the K430. Sennheiser is mostly known for open headphones, though for closed there is the PX200-ii (very portable, moderate isolation), HD280 (excellent isolation), HD380 (better than the 280, but also more expensive, and also a bit bigger)

Quote:
Are there any closed headphones similar to Koss Pro Dj100 80-150 USD?

What is best between Sennheiser HD598, HD600, HD650 and AKG 601, 701/2? (or others around this price) 150-250 USD

If you don't have an amp, the HD598 is the easy choice here.

Quote:
Well I guess Im in the same boat as most of the others in this thread. Found the site looking for new headphones... I love listening to people talk gadgets :)

So I could use some tips on what to look at... Ive got some fairly specific ideas of what I want but not much idea of what models to look at.

Im after something for home use. Music, gaming, and movies. My music tastes are mostly metal, classic rock, and guitar and instrumental type stuff, but Im not especially concerned with focusing on them so much as a good all round sound.

My other criteria is I spend a lot of time listening to podcasts - the audio quality doesnt matter just for spoken word obviously, but I want something comfortable and with good isolation so that I can keep the volume low without being distracted by outside noise. Comfort-wise I much prefer circumaural - Ive found I tend to shake supras off my head too easily :p And finally, forgiving of source and not requiring an amp.

Budget... maybe around $150?

Any help welcome!

Shure 840/440
Audio Technica M50
Ultrasone HFI wheatever model fits your budget

Quote:
Ok, so it all comes down to this:

Sony mdr-v6 for $46 refurbished
or
Creative Aurvana Live! For $60 New

Which would you recommend? I've read reviews for both bit don't quite understand hoe the compare head-to-head. Are the Cal!s better to merit the higher price? How would the soundstage compare on the two? Thanks!

More bass - CAL
more mids/highs - V6

soundstage kinda the same

Quote:
Okay everyone, so I've finally bought a pair of D2000

I am also going to buy an iBasso D4 Mamba. Does anyone know if that has good synergy with the D2000?

It'll be fine. Just sit back and enjoy.

Quote:
Hello everyone, I am a new member here but I have been reading this forum for quite sometime now.  I want to buy a new pair of quality headphones (would prefer closed ones) - I am pretty new to this and in no way I am an audiophile, but love good music and want to move up the ladder from the crappy, cheap headphones I use. :)

Main use would be listening from my ipod and laptop.  Budget range not exceeding $110.  Genres I listen to are rock, alternative and metal. 
I am looking for something that's easy to move around with and provides good isolation.  I travel a lot on the subway and fly quite often, so don't want to bother the people on the train and the plane. Also, don't want something with an extremely long chord.

Hd280, HD438, Shure 440 and Sony V6 are ones I have read great things about.  Can anyone tell me how portable they are and how effective isolation they provide.  Also, is AD700 a good choice?  Please feel free  to throw in other names into the mix as well.  Thanks a lot in advance!

The HD280 is king of isolation at your price point and would be your best choice. The next closest on that list would be the 440.

The AD700 is utterly non-portable and does not isolate in the least.

Quote:
Hey guys, I just threw my HD555 cans out which were great but finally after 5 years succumb to a fatal blow as I lobbed them across the room due to some really bad news lol, stupid idea. Now looking for a replacement, wow hd555 costs over 100 now? they were 50 when I bought them :frowning2:. I'm not too strict with the price (£100-300) but I'd like something that has a very good/wide/tall sound stage while also having more fun bass then the HD5xx (which is probably every headphone lol). THANKS!

Might as well upgrade to the HD598 and don't look back.

Quote:
I am going to buy a set of over ear headphones.  I normally only use IEM's but want something more comfortable for home use.  I have been considering the Denon adh-2000 or denon adh 5000 based on the reviews on amazon.com.  My budget is up to 500 dollars...any suggestions?

I currently have all of the monster turbines(not a fan), triplefi 10s, shure se535s, and the superfi 5s...I prefer the sound of the triple 10s.  I have less than 5 hours of use on each of the turbine sets, so maybe I should burn them in before I give up on them?  I need 15 posts before I can sell them on here.

The D2000/5000 are fairly similar, with the D5000 just reaching a little bit deeper and having a nicer aesthetic.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #5,452 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey I am currently looking at getting some headphones for on or under 80$ right now i am currently looking at getting the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, though i have heard good things about the Superlux HD-688 B's as well. My only problem with the Superlux is that they are apparently lacking in bass which is where the HD 280's would beat out the HD-688 B's.  

I would appreciate any thoughts on theses headphones as well as other recommendations.  Things i am looking for in my headphones would be that they are over the ear headphones, i would be using these for electric, dubstep, as well as main steam rock and hiphop, as well as some relaxed gaming every once in a while.  if i think of anything else i need to add i will edit this post (can i? this is my first time posting) and if you need a question answered please ask away.  Thanks!

The HD280 have superb isolation and good if not fantastic bass. If you're looking for more thump in your price range, there's always the Sony XB500/700

Quote:
Hi,

I've been browsing the forums and have just joined. I'm trying to decide between two headphones, Denon AHD 2000 and Shure SRH 940.

Reading the forums, the sound of the Sure's seem ideal for my sound preferences; the denon's may have a little too much bass?

But comfort is very important. I'm unable to put headphones on and off myself, so they will be on all night long at times. The Denon's seem to always be praised for comfort, wheras, some think the Sure's are comfortable and some don't.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to try them. I really want to buy the Sure 940s, but I'm just hesitating over the comfort question.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Unfortunately, it is impossble to gauge how comfortble headphones will be for someone else. In your situation, it might be best to simply buy from a local shop with a good return policy. Get velour pads or open headphones so you don't heat up too much.

If it matters, the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn have been the Phiaton PS500, B&W P5, and Senn HD228.

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #5,454 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you. Which one would you recommend?  Also, are AD700 extremely huge?  I have heard they sound absolutely great - is it worth sacrificing the sound quality with the portability? How is the isolation? 

no these are not for public use, they are mainly used for gaming / sometimes music with an amp

poor isolation since they are open headphones as opposed to closed headphones, meaning the cups are open ; these have grills

unless you would wear them outside....

Sony mdr - zx700 have gotten good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX700-Outdoor-Headphones/dp/B004P150LY

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5,455 of 29,490
Hello i'm new to head-fi and I was looking to get new headphones. I've come down to Ultrasone's Pro 900 and 2900 models, is the sound signature different? how good is the isolation on the 900? are balanced ones better? And are higher-end LODs better than Fiio's and worth the money?

Thanks for your help :D

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5,456 of 29,490
Quote:
Shure 840/440
Audio Technica M50
Ultrasone HFI wheatever model fits your budget

Thanks! :) That matches a lot of the stuff Ive actually seen just looking around.

I can get HFI 680 for about $140, or the shr440 for about $100.
I cant find anywhere to get the shr840 in budget. And the M50 Im not sure about... It mostly seems to be around $150, except for a few sites Ive never heard of that im not sure I trust. (Im in Australia, which unfortunately means weird prices/availability.)

How do the HFI 680 and the SHR 440 compare?

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #5,457 of 29,490
     Quote:

How do the HFI 680 and the SHR 440 compare?

I haven't heard them, so someone who owns them can feel free to correct me, but if the 440s are set up at all like the 840s they'll have more midbass punch and a more forward midrange. The HFI-680's will give you more treble and a lot more sub bass, and sound sharper and more expansive, but they're also a little sibilant.

I'd lean towards the 440s for rock and vocals, and the 680s for electronic, but you shouldn't be disappointed with either.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #5,459 of 29,490
Thanks. Those two are the ones which I have shortlisted myself. I had a question about the HD280's chord length. Do you think it's big and make it difficult for portable use?  Any other pair that you'd like to add to that list?  Thanks much!

Quote:
The HD280 is king of isolation at your price point and would be your best choice. The next closest on that list would be the 440.

The AD700 is utterly non-portable and does not isolate in the least.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #5,460 of 29,490
Those are pretty big then. :D

What kind of isolation does sony mdr zx700 provide?  Do you think it's better than HD280 or Shure 440?  Thanks!

Quote:
no these are not for public use, they are mainly used for gaming / sometimes music with an amp

poor isolation since they are open headphones as opposed to closed headphones, meaning the cups are open ; these have grills

unless you would wear them outside....

Sony mdr - zx700 have gotten good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX700-Outdoor-Headphones/dp/B004P150LY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back