++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #5,476 of 29,490
Cheers, Armaegis.  I am leaning towards Shure 440.  Are they (and HD280s) built for long listening or does your ears start to hurt after 30-45 mins?  I have read somewhere that 440 sound even better and is more comfortable if you replace their earpads with 880's or 940s.  Is that true?

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #5,477 of 29,490

Quote:
Cheers, Armaegis.  I am leaning towards Shure 440.  Are they (and HD280s) built for long listening or does your ears start to hurt after 30-45 mins?  I have read somewhere that 440 sound even better and is more comfortable if you replace their earpads with 880's or 940s.  Is that true?

The HD280 clamps harder and isolates better. Some find it comfortable, but I find the pressure a bit much after a while. The Shure 840 pads are softer and a smidge larger than the 440 pads. I haven't tried the 940 pads, but they're velour which some people find more comfortable.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #5,478 of 29,490

Quote:

Took me about a year before the hd280s stopped hurting my head after long listening.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #5,479 of 29,490
Thanks a bunch. I am gonna go to Guitar Center tonight and try both. I'll most probably get 440 which I think (from what I've read) is a better all round heaadphone.

Quote:
The HD280 clamps harder and isolates better. Some find it comfortable, but I find the pressure a bit much after a while. The Shure 840 pads are softer and a smidge larger than the 440 pads. I haven't tried the 940 pads, but they're velour which some people find more comfortable.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #5,483 of 29,490

Thanks Armaegis, really helping me out here.

I've narrowed down my choices to end up noticing I'm more headed towards portable headphones (a bit more all round and less pricey) than full size ones, so I guess I'm not really in the right section anymore.

Went to the store today and got to test a few models, so I'm doubting a little before really going ahead and buying.

K518DJ - Indeed, a small bass cannon but nothing too bad. Clamp is hard but I think it'll loosen up with time (had the same thing with my WeSC heating up my ears, while now I can wear them a whole evening without a hitch).
Sennheiser HD25-1 II - Seemed like nice sound but unfortunately, one of the headphones (L side) didn't work properly. Isolated well too.
PX-200II i - Seemed very portable, foldable is an extra, but sound-wise wasn't that impressed (didn't get to use it for a while). It was clear, but nothing too special. Might still get them because the portability is amazing. Isolation wasn't complete but it worked.
HD280 - Sound seemed very good, but it was a bit too big imo to use as a portable one. Maybe once I look for a dedicated home headphones I'll look into the full size Sennheisers (HD5XX series come to mind).

Realizing that full size headphones are just a tad big for going around, I'll settle with something that has good sound quality while being at a smaller size (and smaller to wallet).
First time using Sennheisers, I got convinced that it is actually a good brand with good sound quality.

For now, I'm leaning towards either the K518LE or PX-200IIi, since I didn't find any bigger headphones by AKG to test out and Sennheisers were a tad too big (or too pricey) for me.
The PX200IIi is versatile, but I wasn't impressed with the sound too much (then again, I only tested it about 3-4 minutes in a busy store).
The K518LE is indeed quite bassy, but not TOO much (I tried Monster beats and that has TOO much bass imo).
Other suggested Sennheisers were also not easy to find (and even less to try out).
Changing from WeSC to either of these will probably be noticable be it any kind of source I use right (I found it to be "wider")? Wouldn't regret changing to either of the 2 above?

P.S.: I saw a store selling AKG K520, but can't find that much info about them. Any good?

Still open to suggestions, I'll read up on the other brands but yeah, so much choice for a beginner, and being a student I can't afford top notch or different pairs.
It's probably not recommended to read too much as avid fans will suggest different types, I'll end up being more confused after than before coming here.
dt880smile.png

I'll ask for another suggestion when the time comes for bigger (and better, I suppose ^^'') headphones.

Quote:
The K81/518 is like a little bass cannon... not the most articulate I've heard, but it thumps. The clamp is relatively high as well (makes for fantastic isolation, less so comfort). The full sized AKGs aren't that convenient for portable use since their headband structure is rather large.

The Senns HD280/380 are indeed kinda large, though not moreso than most other full sized circumaural headphones. I found the 380 quite comfortable though. The HD25-1-ii is much more portable and has excellent isolation (I would put all three Senns around the same rank, with the HD25 maybe slightly edging out the other two). It doesn't fold up in any way, but the overall size and weight is much smaller and is very durable. Soundwise, the HD25-1-ii is slightly U shaped with good punch in the lows and highs (which some find a bit fatiguing). The HD380 is just as defined but not as punchy. Comfortwise I give the nod here to the HD380.

As for the other brands, just keep reading!

In general, the WeSC/Skullcandy/iFrogz/etc are lousy headphones. Some have great warranties though, if you have a habit of breaking headphones.

Bose is ok, comfort generally very good, noise cancelling tech is very good, sound quality itself is nothing to write home about.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #5,484 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys! I'm in need of some advice. I'm looking for an effortless (liquid) sounding upper end transportable headphone. I'd like bass to be very slightly more than neutral, intimate mids, and slightly rolled off highs.

Sounds like a Sennheiser HD650 in my book... or a refurbished AKG K240 Sextett MP, which you'd have to snipe an refurbish...

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5,486 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks Armaegis, right now im deciding on either TMA 1 or Beats Pros.. How do these two compare (bass wise and the clarity)? and do the TMA 1's cover the whole ear?

The beats are uncomfortable, very heavy, only average at isolation despite the clamping force, and sound barely average. The bass isn't even that strong on them. The only thing they have going for them is looks if you like showing off bling, and the fairly rugged construction.

I haven't heard the TMA-1, but they are lightweight, rugged, and known to have a dark and bassy sound signature. They are also half the price of the Beats, which is a very significant difference.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #5,487 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys! I'm in need of some advice. I'm looking for an effortless (liquid) sounding upper end transportable headphone. I'd like bass to be very slightly more than neutral, intimate mids, and slightly rolled off highs. So far, the options I'm looking at are the Shure SRH-940, Sony Z1000, Audio Technica ES10 and ESW10JPN, Ultrasone PRO900, AKG K550, and Beyerdynamic T70. Of the ones that have been released, the ESW10JPN looks the best, but are the most expensive (not really that bad of a negative point, just will take longer to save up for). The Shures may be too boring for me, and I'm looking for something different than the rest of my headphones, the Z1000 has been said to have veiled mids compared to the SA5000, which according to koolbubbaice, were kinda sorta like the DT48 I have, and I really don't like veil, and the ES10 and Sones may be too bassy for me. The latter may be too big too.

Music that I'll use it with is generally indie-folk such as Bright Eyes, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sufjan Stevens, stuff like that, electronic such as Infected Mushroom, and OceanLab, metal like Finsterforst, Alcest, and Neuromist, rock like Tool and NIN, jazz (mainly trumpet and saxophone based, nothing weird), and female vocals like Hayley Westenra and A Fine Frenzy.

Source will be a Hisoundaudio Studio.

Budget: Well, $600 and less would be ideal. The cheaper the better though. Trying any of these out isn't an option at this point before ChiUnFi in November.

Thanks!

Man those are all outside my scope of familiarity, but I'll try to offer some ideas anyways. Based on my experiences with the brands, I think one of the Audio Technicas will be most suitable. They do mids very well and are great with female vocals.

Ultrasone Pros are just boomy. I have the 750 and that's already too bassy for me with scooped out mids. The 900s are reportedly even thumpier than the 750. I have yet to find a Beyer that I like... they have never been "smooth" sounding to me, but rather more sharp and once again lacking in the mids.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #5,488 of 29,490

Quote:
Well if you're playing at the $1k range, that opens up the orthos like the HE-x series and the LCD-2. Those all have their own huge threads, so you'll be better off asking in there and reading up before making such a big purchase.

Also, since you're planning on moving to speakers, skip the dedicated headphone amp and just get a good receiver with a headphone output.

The ortho's are definitely a consideration, i haven't heard a dynamic pair that was as fast and accurate as the T50RP. 
However, i will still be keeping headphones and speakers as a seperate rig. I work in shifts and listening to speakers isn't accepted a lot after 22.00 hours. The GS-1 or a B22 will be able to function as a decent preamp. I reallly want a speaker rig but cans have gotten a weak spot since i joined here :) Curse you head-fi!

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #5,489 of 29,490
I read a Lottttt of thread here and im still really wondering what I should get

I know the M50 are awesome everybody like them but i cannot get them under 150 (or I just suck at looking for them)

should I wait for the price to go down like it was a few week ago?

The Shure 840 looked really nice too :D but some people are just saying that the M50 are better for the price... but i can get them for around 150 too so i really don't know

Also most people praising the M50 are electronika/other bass heavy listener and I mostly listen to indie/rock music

My music this year so far :
http://www.last.fm/user/Coutcha1er

Also I Live in Canada and its really hard to find a good place to buy speaker in quebec :frowning2:

So I would appreciate any help and suggestion but nothing over 200$

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #5,490 of 29,490
It really sucks buying headphones up here in Canada. Your best bet is to keep an eye out on the sale forums here or on canuckaudiomart.com

Since you mentioned rock, the default recommendation from most is to try a Grado, or in your case an Alessandro MS1 because Grado prices are atrocious in Canada, but the Alessandro prices are the same everywhere. I only mention that because Alessandro is one of the very few brands that doesn't cost more to buy in Canada. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back