++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #5,417 of 29,490

Quote:
ok im looking for cans for metal, punk etc ( i listen to metallica,rise against,ratm, system of a down, slipknot, stone sour avenged sevenfold and others.)  i dont want grados at the moment although i will get them in the future. ive been considering srh440's for a while however i have seen some hd595's for a similiar price which will be better?

im also condsidering fostex t50rp's? is there anything i should be considering?

Im in the uk and have a budget of under £100 so m50's are out of budget

They are all solid choices. The 440 will have more "bite" out of the three, the 595 a bit more relaxed sound. The T50rp has great modding potential, but also needs power behind it to sound good.

Quote:
Hello.

This is my first time on this site and I will readily admit I'm not particularly knowledgeable on headphones or audio equipment hence why I am seeking guidance here. I woke up this morning to find that my roommates dog ate my headphone cord in 3 places so I am forced to purchase new headphones. Normally I would just rebuy the ones I already had except I figured maybe there were better quality ones for a similar price and set out to get as much information as I could and ended up here.

My most recent cans were AD700s and I loved them for the sound clarity during gaming as well as the fact that they were incredibly comfortable. Prior to those I had 555s which were a bit tight and left my ears very hot and squished after extended use however the bass was better in this than my AD700s.

I am looking for over ear headphones that will be for home use to do a variety of things: listening to music (electronica, rock, hip hop, punk, metal, essentially everything under the sun I listen to), gaming (fps and rts), and recently I have begun learning to mix and produce so solid cans in that regard would help as well. I prefer headphones that don't require additional equipment (amps/DACs) and at most can pay $150.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For gaming and producing within your budget...
AKG K240
Sony V6 or 7506

Quote:
thanks for the advice, are you saying that Grados is really better than AKG K430 ?

or maybe you mean that AKG K430 may be just better in warm and bass while Grados who Brighter and mid-centric is more fit for my song ?

XD

I don't want to say one is better than the other... I just think the Grado would suit your genres.

Quote:
I'll get them for £113 on amazon then. Hopefully they're worth every penny. Quick question though: is the import series of the a700 any different from a regular a700?

You seem pretty intent on getting them, I hope you do enjoy them. Personally, were I in your position I would look for friendlier-priced alternatives, but I don't know what the headphone landscape is like in your area.

Quote:
I've been rocking out to the same pair of Grado SR-80s (not the SR80i, if that matters) for the past 10 years.

I love them for their clarity and durability, but need some cans or IEMs with much better isolation and comfort.

I'd like a set that is offers clarity and transparency, but a more well-balanced bottom end and non-sibilant.

$200 is my price range. What should I be looking at?

Senn HD25-1-ii will give you all the isolation and durability you want.

Quote:
what im looking for: something that electronic music plays well on, good for portable use (sturdy, easy to move around in), comfy for very extended periods of listening time, powerful bass but clear mids and highs as well

i currently have the sennheiser HD380s and am pretty happy with them, just wanting to look into other options as well :)

M-Audio Q40
Shure 840
Audio Technica M50
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
Ulrasone Pro550/650 (any higher and the bass overwhelms)

Quote:
I'm looking for full sized open headphones [not noise cancelling or something of that kind], they will be my first quality headphones, i don't have any DAC or headphone amp right now.
The headphones will be plugged to a computer straight into the 3.5mm jack.
My budget is 200$, the headphones I've been thinking on are:
Ultrasone pro 550
Ultrasone HFI-780
ATH-AD900
Sennheiser HD595

But I'm certainly open for other suggestions.

Since you didn't mention anything about genres or need for isolation... I would randomly pick the HFI-780

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #5,418 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm tentatively looking for a pair of office mid-fi headphones. I can get away with open headphones, as long as they're not Grado open. I hope to avoid closed headphones / IEMS if possible. We're above an engineering lab, so when it's noisy, nothing short of ear defenders will make the noise fade away - I just need the headphones to not leak too much sound to people a couple of metres away from me.

Sound-wise, I'm looking for something neutral, even handed, with good soundstaging, and an 'effortless' sound. As an example, my K702s would actually be great in the office, if they weren't so big (which would be a constant attraction of jokes at my expense) and if they weren't my home headphones. My current office phones are my K81s, but the bass is just too muddy and bloated to not get on my nerves after a couple of hours. I mostly listen to classical, jazz, and a good dose of ambient / downtempo when I'm working, but I'm sure I'll squeeze some metal (symphonic / progressive) in there too.

Comfort is also key, as I could well be wearing these for 6 hours a day, which is another reason I'm looking to change from the K81. From this, I was thinking about the Beyerdynamics DT880s (probably the 250Ohm premium, not pro), but would welcome any confirmation or suggestions for others.

I'll be driving them with an E7, and I'm looking at the £200 mark roughly.

And as a final question, if I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to go for closed headphones, what would be the suggestion?

Thanks

For an office environment I would generally recommend a closed headphone. Even mild isolation is better than none, and you never know who'll be annoyed by your music.

closed/not huge/comfortble:
B&W P5
Senn HD25-1-ii
Beyer DT1350
Senn PX200-ii
Phiaton PS500

open:
Senn HD598
actually I'm drawing a blank on any other good open headphones which aren't large

Quote:
Hey,

any cheaper variants of ultrasone hfi-450 or audio technica's M50? they're a bit too expensive for me, so maybe something simillar to them?

There's the M10/20/30/35/40 which should all be available at a local music/guitar store. Also Shure 440 and 750. If you want something bassier, the Sony XB500/700 can be found at most large electronic retailers.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #5,419 of 29,490
Hi, I'll mainly be listening to rock and pop, 1960's through mid 90's, and would be doing serious headphone listening for the first time.
I was originally thinking about the Audeze LCD-2, but might be foolish to spend that much initially, given my lack of time spent with headphones.
Maybe something in the $100.-$300. range would be more reasonable for me to start with, new or used.
Grados seem to be popular amongst rock and pop lovers.  I'm a little concerned about listening fatigue, though.  Are Grados on the bright side at my price range?  How about the Alessandro/Grado collaborations?
Thanks for any assistance..

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #5,420 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'll mainly be listening to rock and pop, 1960's through mid 90's, and would be doing serious headphone listening for the first time.
I was originally thinking about the Audeze LCD-2, but might be foolish to spend that much initially, given my lack of time spent with headphones.
Maybe something in the $100.-$300. range would be more reasonable for me to start with, new or used.
Grados seem to be popular amongst rock and pop lovers.  I'm a little concerned about listening fatigue, though.  Are Grados on the bright side at my price range?  How about the Alessandro/Grado collaborations?
Thanks for any assistance..

If you're looking to get into orthos, I think I saw an HE-4 on the sale forums just the other day. There's also the Fostex T50rp if you ever feel like getting into mods. All needs a bit of power behind them, though a home receiver works just fine.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #5,421 of 29,490
Ok Im wondering what the difference between the Shure srh 440 and the srh550dj? would I be to run str8 from a ipod touch. I guess I should say which one is easier to drive? I've pretty much decided between these two but which one will perform better on the ipod touch(4th gen), and or a samsung fascinate. I listen mainly to Nightwish, Edenbridge, leaves eyes, sirenia, etc.
comfort I dont care too much about, just realism, clarity, and not having to crank the ipod volume.
Thanks! :)
Droido

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #5,422 of 29,490
Just woke up today to see my beautiful HD 280's band snap in half, so I'm looking for recommendations on which cans you guys think I should test out.

Here's some info on my listening habits:
  1. I listen to a wide variety of genres but I find myself listening to bands like jimmy eat world, phoenix or any band with great guitar in it the most.
  2. If I had to pick between treble, bass and midtones, I'd pick treble
  3. I watch a lot of videos/movies on my computer
  4. A nice bonus would be to have some kind of noise cancellation but I'd go for quality over noise cancellation

Thanks for the help

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #5,423 of 29,490
Hey I'm new to these forums and I've been looking around to try and find the best pair of headphones that suit me and I can't come to a conclusion. I like to listen to hip-hop, dub-step, deadmau5 type stuff, jam bands like phish, but also classical symphonies like Dvorak, Mahler, and Beethoven etc. I don't want the bass to be over powering but I do want it to be pretty strong, so I'm not looking for studio flat sounding phones. My price range is around $60 with a max at around $80. The two that I'm most interested in right now are the Sony V6's and the Audio Tecnica ATH-M35s so if anyone has owned both of these i would love to know what you think. I hear that you cant go wrong with the V6s but theM35s look extremely similar and are a little cheaper, but I havent heard much about them. Also in consideration are the Shure SRH440s. I really dont like the look of the MDR-XB500s or else I might consider those because I love bass. If you have any thoughts please let me know ive been researching for days and cant decide. (Also I have large ears so I would like to ear cups to fit all the way around them...I've heard the V6's sometimes dont) Thanks for the help. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #5,424 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking to buy some new headphones with a budget of £100, because I am the clumsiest person in the world always twisiting my headphone wires I have no option but to go for wireless no matter what the audio quality difference. However I am not entirely sure what I should buy the two I have found are the Creative WP-350 's and the Philips SHB9001/00. If anyone could give me advice as to which I should go for, and their differences, It would be much appreciated 
beyersmile.png
. Thanks In Advance!!!

Anyone? I really need help in this!

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #5,425 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok Im wondering what the difference between the Shure srh 440 and the srh550dj? would I be to run str8 from a ipod touch. I guess I should say which one is easier to drive? I've pretty much decided between these two but which one will perform better on the ipod touch(4th gen), and or a samsung fascinate. I listen mainly to Nightwish, Edenbridge, leaves eyes, sirenia, etc.
comfort I dont care too much about, just realism, clarity, and not having to crank the ipod volume.
Thanks! :)
Droido

Going by specs along, the 550 should be easier to drive loudly.

Quote:
Just woke up today to see my beautiful HD 280's band snap in half, so I'm looking for recommendations on which cans you guys think I should test out.

Here's some info on my listening habits:
  1. I listen to a wide variety of genres but I find myself listening to bands like jimmy eat world, phoenix or any band with great guitar in it the most.
  2. If I had to pick between treble, bass and midtones, I'd pick treble
  3. I watch a lot of videos/movies on my computer
  4. A nice bonus would be to have some kind of noise cancellation but I'd go for quality over noise cancellation

Thanks for the help

You could go a step up in the HD380, or perhaps a sidestep with the Sony V6 which is a little more mid-high centric than the HD280. Grados are known for strong treble, but that's also a strong departure from the sound that you're used to. The Senn HD25-1-ii are solid all-rounders and are also practically impossible to break.

Quote:
Hey I'm new to these forums and I've been looking around to try and find the best pair of headphones that suit me and I can't come to a conclusion. I like to listen to hip-hop, dub-step, deadmau5 type stuff, jam bands like phish, but also classical symphonies like Dvorak, Mahler, and Beethoven etc. I don't want the bass to be over powering but I do want it to be pretty strong, so I'm not looking for studio flat sounding phones. My price range is around $60 with a max at around $80. The two that I'm most interested in right now are the Sony V6's and the Audio Tecnica ATH-M35s so if anyone has owned both of these i would love to know what you think. I hear that you cant go wrong with the V6s but theM35s look extremely similar and are a little cheaper, but I havent heard much about them. Also in consideration are the Shure SRH440s. I really dont like the look of the MDR-XB500s or else I might consider those because I love bass. If you have any thoughts please let me know ive been researching for days and cant decide. (Also I have large ears so I would like to ear cups to fit all the way around them...I've heard the V6's sometimes dont) Thanks for the help. 

The V6 pads tend to sit on the ears rather than around. The Shure 440 are good contenders, but tend to roll off on the bass and that might leave you unsatisfied. The 550 might be better suited here.

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking to buy some new headphones with a budget of £100, because I am the clumsiest person in the world always twisiting my headphone wires I have no option but to go for wireless no matter what the audio quality difference. However I am not entirely sure what I should buy the two I have found are the Creative WP-350 's and the Philips SHB9001/00. If anyone could give me advice as to which I should go for, and their differences, It would be much appreciated 
beyersmile.png
. Thanks In Advance!!!

Neither of those is particularly well known, so I doubt you'll find anyone who can compare them. Does it have to be a choice between those two?

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #5,426 of 29,490
So i've stupidly got a pair of ad-700, they're great headphones, very comfortable and light but huge, I'm sending them back as we speak but can anyone
suggest a pair of closed back headphones around 80-100 pounds for travelling and alittle bit of movie/gaming on my laptop?

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #5,429 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I'm brand new on the forum and saw that quite some people seem really well informed so I decided to stop looking and join in since I'm getting quite interested in headphones myself lately.

Introduction aside, I could really use some advice on which headphones I should buy next.

I currently own a pair of WeSC headphones (Ed Banger), which serve me well and haven't had any issues with them for the past year and a half.
After a few of my friends said I could really up the sound quality of anything I listen to, I've decided to purchase new headphones (while still using my old one for outdoor and as a backup).

Problem being, there is no definitive sources or what I listen to, I guess the most often is just portable (iPhone) or from my laptop.
What I listen to is also quite diverse, going from electronic (mostly) to metal/rock to jazz. Not so much into classical music.
I also play games, but I any pair of headphones will do for this 
tongue_smile.gif

A few of my friends suggested I should look into AKG headphones, while others have suggested Sennheiser. I am quite clueless as to which brand is ''better'' or which I should go for. I'm open to any suggestions, even other brands.
I currently live in Belgium so ordering from amazon UK or France should be no problem.
A plus side would be that the headphones aren't too bulky and still good for ''on the go'' but not necessarily. Noise cancelling is also a welcome bonus.

My budget is about 100-150 euros. If anyone could help me on this I'd really appreciate it.
Also, maybe saying which is better for which genre/purpose could help me out (if going into that much detail, but I think for the price range I'm in this doesn't matter as much).

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #5,430 of 29,490
Hi eagle06, I have the Sennheiser HD438.
The HD408, 418 and 438 are supposedly bass-heavy (that's what the packaging says).

If you're looking for bass, bass and only bass, then I have to warn you that the bass on my HD438s are not overpowering and boomy. I've tried the HD418 as well and the bass is not boomy and overpowering. I think the bass can be described as clear and punchy? And I'm sure this goes for the HD418 and HD408 as well.

The best thing to do was try out the headphones first before buying. Make sure to bring along a decent music player/source to play your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back