++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #3,692 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

Several months ago I sought advice in this very thread before purchasing a pair of AKG. The advice I was given were very helpful: again, a great thanks to the community.

But here we go again: I would like to purchase a new pair of headphones, not Hi-fi but portable. The price range would be around 70 $ (not less anyways). As for most people buying portable headphones, I would like them to be robust (last two pairs broke down after weeks of use) and, if possible, I would like to find a pair with detachable cables. Well, in fact I don't know if removable cables is a factor of robustness, if not, feel free to tell me. I know that 70$ limits, in a sense, the sound quality but I'm sure to find a decent pair of headphones. 

I would really welcome any advice or insight on any products or brands: Sennheiser maybe? 

I thank you before hand, whoever you are

Zert

May 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #3,693 of 29,490

Quote:

Some of the music I listen to Linkin Park, ac\dc, Shinddown, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits also like to listen to movie scores. I don't listen to hip hop, rap  or techno. I don't know what I'm looking for, I normally use the buds that come with the device or buy what ever buds are on sale. After listening to the E7 & E9 with cheap headphones I got to thinking I should get myself a nice pair of cans. I'm a total newb when it comes to headphones.

Thanks

If you're more interested in a closed headphone and so are hesitant in going with the  k702's, then I might suggest the k271 mkii headphones which are closed  and within your budget. I myself am a proud owner of these cans and I listen to a ridiculous amount of Tom Waits, some Bob Dylan and even some metal and rock, so I can safely say that they sound quite nice with all those types of music. I find the bass to be present and clear, but not overstated and the mids to be very clear. The Treble is very smooth and not harsh at all, even on incredibly high notes. 

While youtube's sound quality is pretty bad on average I listen to this through a CD player and it's close enough to see what I mean for highs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijww4IMAHWw

Hope you're still open to suggestion.

Wow, that took my computer some time to process... Now I really hope it's not an entirely irrelevant post.

May 3, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #3,694 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Several months ago I sought advice in this very thread before purchasing a pair of AKG. The advice I was given were very helpful: again, a great thanks to the community.

But here we go again: I would like to purchase a new pair of headphones, not Hi-fi but portable. The price range would be around 70 $ (not less anyways). As for most people buying portable headphones, I would like them to be robust (last two pairs broke down after weeks of use) and, if possible, I would like to find a pair with detachable cables. Well, in fact I don't know if removable cables is a factor of robustness, if not, feel free to tell me. I know that 70$ limits, in a sense, the sound quality but I'm sure to find a decent pair of headphones. 

I would really welcome any advice or insight on any products or brands: Sennheiser maybe? 

I thank you before hand, whoever you are

Zert

I understand that you're looking for headphones, but just to throw my opinion out there, I think you can get better SQ for around $70 if you're willing to buy IEM's.

Just to give you more options.

May 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #3,695 of 29,490
I was in the same boat as you, and was dissatisfied with the K701's as well. Look at the HiFiMan line, the choice I made was the HE-5LE's and they were a brilliant choice, especially so for the money. You can read my review of them if you want. Look into them, try them out if you can.

May 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #3,696 of 29,490
Okay, I need some help, guys!

My newest addition, the DT990/600, is not as good as I hoped it to be. Bass is too strong and sounds horrible with anything that is not 100% instruments - so no Hip-Hop, no distortions, no Electronica. It is very much in the front, too. I love that the bass with the HFI-780 is far in the back - it creates an immense depth. Although I wanted a headphone that shines with Jazz and has a more neutral presentation than my Ultrasones, I didn't expect them to sound that bad with everything else.
Another thing that bothers me is soundstage. It creates a full rich sound in and around the head, but that's the problem. Positioning is worse than my HFI-780 and I don't like that the music plays inside my head. I was hoping for a more distant, yet engaging sound. I was also hoping for more depth at a 300€ price tag.
Female voices sound a little too thin at times (Michael Jackson's voice is piercing). The resolution is also very unforgiving to any mastered victims of the loudness war.

Here are some alternatives that I've also checked out before:
- AKG 701: I actually liked what I heard, but I didn't get the chance to try my own music. I'm 100% sure that I'll be missing sub-bass, though.
- Sennheiser HD650: Not bad, but this warm and relaxed sound is not for me. I can imagine to adapt to the veil, but the warmth is way too much!
- Denon AH-D200: It's like the bad version of an Ultrasone. Boomy bass with piercing highs.
- Ultrasone PRO 750: Great bass, great soundstage, great sparkle in the highs... but the sound is too thin! Voices don't sound realistic at all.
- Grado SR-80: I was also offered to listen to the 325 but there was no reason. I did not like the presentation at all.

So, I like (not love) my Ultrasones and I was hoping to improve with a more neutral presentation as the presentation is pretty colored. I love S-Logic and the punchy bass, though.
My HJE900 amaze me every time with what I consider a lively, musical and realistic sound. (I know, this might be me, but I can't change it. To me, not only voices sound fuller and better than with any of the afore mentioned headphones! The Panasonic nails the tonality I'm looking for!) Soundstage and positioning is great for an IEM, too. I want THIS blown up into full size mayhem!

I was thus told to try out the DT880 but I got the DT990 for cheaper. (I didn't expect the DT990 to have that much bass for a reference model.) However, if the only difference is a more mellowed bass, I'm not sure if the DT880 would be good enough for me. Are there any other recommendations?
Would the Edition 8 suit me? If yes, I might save up until Christmas...

May 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3,697 of 29,490
What's up with the post editor and firefox? weird stuff keeps happening for me when I was trying to edit a previous post and it just kept making new posts

May 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #3,698 of 29,490

Quote:

Hello Headfiers.  Been lurking for a while and looking to purchase my first pair of semi-decent headphones.

I am based in the UK and have around £80 to spend (US$130).

Previous headphones = Senn CX-100  >>>  Senn PX-100.  
The PX-100 broke so I got a refund. and now looking to get a new pair.

Portability is not the most important and I am not extremely concerned with open or closed as long as the quality is up there.  If you could recommend the best(I know, subjective...) open and the best closed back for around the £80 area it would be helpful.

Mainly listen to rock, pop, classical (Beethoven & Mozart etc). also play guitar and watch films with the headphones.  I realise I am listing a broad range of uses so it may be difficult to name a single pair of headphones but any advice will be helpful.

Currently been looking at -
- Allessandro MS1i due to so many positive reviews. I know these may not suit my classical (soundstage problems) and films (lacks bass) but will be good for rock and pop.
- AKG K518 (I managed to try the K518 very very breifly but it was a poor source and they just sounded like a quiet pair of my CX300.)
- AKG K450 (small and portable but mixed reviews here)
- Shure SRH440 (Nice reviews here on head fi)

Auditioning phones is not possible due to location.  

To be honest I am totally lost.  I know don't which phones to buy and what the sound signatures are like of each one which is why I need help.  Should I just buy the Allessandros and ignore the lack of bass and soundstage? (is the sound really that good).

thanks very much people! Any advice is appreciated!

Bump (sorry but am looking to make a purchase soon so any help would be appreciated!)

Thanks.

May 3, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #3,700 of 29,490
hey guys i have searched for a good pair of headphones for a very long time. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices maybe 3) I like the ultrasone pro 550 because it comes with a case and it has a detachable cable. I also like the hfi 780 but it doesnt have a case. How do these headphones sound without an amp with an ipod.
I have found them on amazon for the same price except the pro 550 is confusing because when it shows pictures of the product it shows the old blue kind and the new sick silver kind so i dont know which one it is and if i should buy it. The hfi 780 shows the new kind but i dont know which is better. I also am starting to like the sennheiser hd 25-1 II because they are adidas colors and are origonal. They are about 70 dollars more than they 2 ultrasones. Are they worth it?
Links:
pro 550 new 152 also one used for 144
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-550-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000YDYEDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304466079&sr=8-1
hfi 780 new 164 one used is 154
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304466079&sr=8-4
Sennheiser new $229
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Adidas-HD-Orginals-Headphones/dp/B0030T0QBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3DV4MZPCFJ08H&s=merchant-items&qid=1304466452&sr=1-2
Sennheiser used like new only 180? are they fake?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0030T0QBG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1304466224&sr=1-1&condition=used

May 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #3,701 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply Supplice,

Yeah I'm still open to suggestion I have not got anything yet, unexpected trip came so I probally won't get anything for the 10 days or so. I'm trying to find a place to demo some of these headphones I went by guitar center they never had anything and neither did fry's. Truthfully other than bass and treble I don't know what the other stuff is mid,highs,soundstage means nothing to me. Out of the few pair of cans I have the Panasonic RP-HTX7 sound the best, so if your familiar with them least you'll know what I'm used to. I really. I really appreciate everyone help I just never thought their was this many choices.
[size=x-small]appreciate [/size]
. I really ,                       

May 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #3,703 of 29,490
Many of the newer members of the D7000 club have been getting theirs from J&R through a little wheelin' and dealin'. You have to call them up and talk a sales rep down from $1000. Shouldn't be too hard. I bought mine stock from Moon Audio for $800. Not sure how willing he'd be to do that again, though.

They're a really great headphone. I hope whatever you end up with you'll enjoy.

you wrote here that you got it with the Blue Dragon cable. how do you feel about it? i placed an order for a stock AH-D7000 with Moon Audio, but it's out of stock until June 5th. i'm thinking whether i should upgrade the cable to Blue Dragon, partly because i'd rather have a 5' cable with a 1/8" plug instead of the stock 10' with 1/4" plug... this is a $245 extra though.

edit: just read this post so i guess you changed your mind. why?

May 3, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #3,704 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Many of the newer members of the D7000 club have been getting theirs from J&R through a little wheelin' and dealin'. You have to call them up and talk a sales rep down from $1000. Shouldn't be too hard. I bought mine stock from Moon Audio for $800. Not sure how willing he'd be to do that again, though.

They're a really great headphone. I hope whatever you end up with you'll enjoy.

you wrote here that you got it with the Blue Dragon cable. how do you feel about it? i placed an order for a stock AH-D7000 with Moon Audio, but it's out of stock until June 5th. i'm thinking whether i should upgrade the cable to Blue Dragon, partly because i'd rather have a 5' cable with a 1/8" plug instead of the stock 10' with 1/4" plug... this is a $245 extra though.

edit: just read this post so i guess you changed your mind. why?

Haha, sorry about being so hard to follow. That bolded statement is pretty much why I cancelled the recable. I felt that a recable wasn't something that would change the sound as much as upgrading my E7/E9 combo. The other thing that stopped me was the fact that I actually like the stock cable on the D7000. It's a little tangly, but the cable feels nice, and terminates in a beautiful 1/4 plug.

Plus, think of it this way. You can always send them back in for a recable later.

May 3, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #3,705 of 29,490
Hello,I've been looking for a set of closed portable headphones that would be good for classical music and opera. I bought the Beyerdynamic dt 1350, but they don't work for me with classical music so I was thinking of selling them and saving up for the Ultrasone Edition 8's. Does anyone use these for classical music or does anyone have any other suggestion? They definately need to be closed. I suppose that the size doesn't matter but I'd have to limit an amp to something portable.Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back