++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #3,661 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a mid-high class headphone with a budget of around $400 - $500. I want it to have a full body with good mids. Fast, impactfull bass and controlled highs. I also want it to be very detailed. I already looked at the Beyers (880 and 990) but unfortunatly the 880's seem a little bit too neutral for me and the 990's U-shaped sound did not attract me at all.

I will be using it at home on my a PC so size or looks does not really matter that much, I do want it to be comfortable enough for long extended hearing sessions. I mostly listen to electronic, Drum N' Bass and Rock but I also listen to classical music.

Thank you for your time, I hope its not to demanding for that price category.

May 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #3,662 of 29,490
help guys..

i need someone to help me compare an ATH-ES7 and an ATH-ESW9. i havent tried both, but ive read a lot of good impressions about both of them. so:

1) using an ipod as source (without an amp) how big is the difference in sound quality? im curious about this because i think it would be logical to just get the much cheaper ES7s if there isn't much of a difference in sound in a genre of say, pop, electronic and dnb. :)

2) just a what-would-you-do type of question.. should i

(A) buy the ES7s and keep them for 2-3 years before i upgrade to an ES10 for example

(B) buy the ESW9 and keep them permanently.. maybe saving money for 2-3 years before buying a decent portable headphone amp

all opinions are highly appreciated!

May 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #3,663 of 29,490

Quote:
Hmm alright sir. Thanks! But going back, how does the HFI-580 compare with the HD25-1? Sorry sir noob.

I find most of the Ultrasones tend to have wobbly frequency response, not that this is necessarily a bad thing (as I tend to be ocd about measuring things like that). The Senn is flatter and more monitor like, but with a pronounced bass and high end as expected for DJ cans. Ultrasones typically have a strong bass response, but this is also due to their S-Logic which works for some but not all. Isolation is better on the Senn. Clamp/comfort is a tossup since you're comparing a supra to circumaural can.

The HD25 you can at least audition at most any music store. The Ultrasones are a little harder to come by.

Quote:
I'm new to quality headphones (as I've only used cheap junkers thus far) and have no experience with them. I'm looking for headphones suited for epic/anthem trance, headphones that pronounce that uplifting and vitalizing sensation. I want the very best of the best that I can find (for it's cheapest available price) under USD$160. I use this music to aid in my meditation, I'll spend hours completely out of my mind zoning to the melody. Headphones to help further the euphoric sensation the music gives would be great. :)

I've done alot of research and heard that the m50's are a great deal, but elsewhere I've read they are a tad muddy with poor "soundstage". I couldn't know anything of the manner, but if these headphones are best and help me feel at the center/surrounded by the music, I'll be happy, If not, please point me in the right direction. =)

Here are some examples of the kind of music I want treated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHrIPHCBK4&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34hJwMhVto&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoLJ4CWSLSI&feature=BFa&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7XKZ729vM&feature=BFp&list=PL57183341C9ADA4F5&index=56

(On a sidenote I read in a couple threads people were getting m50's for 94$ from authorized dealers, I went to the same websites and the price is 70$ higher now. Why did the price jump so bad? Cheapest I can find is 125$)

Thanks =)

It depends how much bass you're going for, as usually it's difficult to achieve good bass and soundstage at the same time (within your budget). For great soundstage and a feeling of immersion, cans like the Audio Technica AD700/A700 are great. Their bass is present, but it won't rattle your head by any means.

The M50 will feel clausrophobic by comparison. For cans similar, consider the Shure 840 or M-Audio Q40, or the Beyer DT770pro.

Also consider some Ultrasones within your budget. Their S-Logic has a way of creating soundstage that's really immersive for some people, and they have good punchy bass to them.

Quote:
hi folks,

i have been doing some research on the forum for the past few days and realized that i need to get my hands on some decent headphones. i want something full size but with less impedence. this is because i am planning to use it for traveling and without the use of a headphone amp. i have been considering these-

hd 595
beyer 770 32 ohm
hd 25
ultrasone 650

can you suggest anything else?

also, if i have phones with less impedence and i start using a headphone amp, will it be different from using one with higher impedence?

Go with the HD25-1-ii or Ultrasone 650. The Senn is a bit big and doesn't collapse in any way (and is open as well), and the Beyer is simply huge and doesn't collapse.

Impedence is not the only factor to consider for headphones. Sensitivity is the overlooked yet probably more important parameter. In any event, unless you have difficult to drive headphones, an amp doesn't make much of a difference unless you really know what to listen for. For your purposes, skip the whole amp debacle and just keep it simple. Both the HD25 and Pro650 will satisfy. I would actually lean more towards the Pro650 as it comes with a case and has a shorter cord.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first pair of decent headphones. I mostly listen to House/Electro/Hip-Hop and Alternative music and I will be using the headphones with my Ipod and Laptop (no amp). I’m looking for something with pretty good bass, but I’ll sacrifice some bass for overall quality, because I really want the House/Electro to shine through. Also, it has to be closed because I will be traveling with them quite a bit so I don’t want to bother everyone around me with my music.

I’ve been leaning towards the Senn HD 448’s any opinions if they would match my criteria, if not what would you suggest?

Looking to spend 150 or less, thanks all for the help!

The HD448 are only moderate for bass. The HD438 is better for that. However, neither is really convenient for travel as they are full sized and do not collapse in any way. Consider some headphones like the M50 or Shure 750, or smaller ones like the AKG K81/518/181.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your opinions on what I should be looking at to upgrade from my AT AD700s?

Looking to spend around ~$300-400ish. I love the sound signature of the AD700s and they are so damn comfortable. Looking for something that sounds even better, is just as comfortable and looks awesome. Preferably open I guess.

For use at home, listening to music (mainly trance/house/electronica with some pop/rock thrown in) as well as for movies and music.

Looking for something that doesn't really need to be amped (I will be upgrading to an Asus STX/Creative TiHD at the same time which have a built in opamp, so yea, they will be a bit amped I guess).

So, whats the go these days?

Thanks guys :)

If you're patient, you can find used at $400 an Audio Technica AD2000 which is their top of the line open can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Hey there,

I want to buy new headphones and I did a lot of research and it seems I will have to choose between the Sennheiser HD 518s and the HD 555s. They would cost me roughly the same, so the price is not the deciding factor.  My musical taste is mainly Rock (pink floyd, radiohead) but also some electronic stuff and some pop. Overall, though, I'd like a pretty good all-around sound, with no tendencies towards any specific direction. Also, I want to listen mostly on my PC, without any amps.
Which ones should I take?

Really, that's the downside of a thread like this 90% of the questions are ignored :frowning2:
Can Anyone help me?

I would venture that the response rate is actually better than 90% answered...

Google 555 mod to find the super quick way to transform the 555 into the 595 and you've got yourself a quality headphone for cheap.

May 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #3,664 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a mid-high class headphone with a budget of around $400 - $500. I want it to have a full body with good mids. Fast, impactfull bass and controlled highs. I also want it to be very detailed. I already looked at the Beyers (880 and 990) but unfortunatly the 880's seem a little bit too neutral for me and the 990's U-shaped sound did not attract me at all.

I will be using it at home on my a PC so size or looks does not really matter that much, I do want it to be comfortable enough for long extended hearing sessions. I mostly listen to electronic, Drum N' Bass and Rock but I also listen to classical music.

Denon D5000 would be my suggestion. Full body I usually take to mean soundstage, and the Denons are good at that for a closed headphone. They're known for their Bass. Good impact and it'll just rumble your head. I love it. They have a warm sound in their mids, so they're good, but not quite as forward as some would like. Highs are well controlled...I listen to mostly Drum n Bass, for example, and the hats never got harsh for me.

Other notable nice things: They look amazing, and are the most comfortable headphones ever (IMO). They're also easy to power, but if you want to amp them in the future they scale really well with amplification.

May 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #3,665 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

A Denon D2000 or 5000 sound right up your alley. Very comfortable, great bass response and extension, nice response from the rest of the spectrium.

Quote:
help guys..

i need someone to help me compare an ATH-ES7 and an ATH-ESW9. i havent tried both, but ive read a lot of good impressions about both of them. so:

1) using an ipod as source (without an amp) how big is the difference in sound quality? im curious about this because i think it would be logical to just get the much cheaper ES7s if there isn't much of a difference in sound in a genre of say, pop, electronic and dnb. :)

2) just a what-would-you-do type of question.. should i

(A) buy the ES7s and keep them for 2-3 years before i upgrade to an ES10 for example

(B) buy the ESW9 and keep them permanently.. maybe saving money for 2-3 years before buying a decent portable headphone amp

all opinions are highly appreciated!

If nothing else, I would choose the ESW9 for the better resale value down the road for when you eventually decide to upgrade (don't kid yourself, upgrade-itis will strike regardless of how much you spend now).  You won't need an amp to enjoy either.

May 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #3,667 of 29,490

Quote:
I beat you to it this time. :D I'm so proud of myself.

Well, sometimes I leave it for a couple hours just to give you other guys a chance
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3,668 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks, I might do that.

If you're okay with closed and want a headphone that is pretty unbiased you may want to consider the SRH840 as well which can be found in the low 100s for price.  Most people around here seem to think that headphone is pretty flat/unbiased

May 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #3,669 of 29,490
OK!

So the AH-D2000's are far out of my price range but they are quite nice, thanks for the suggestion.

The AD700's sound great too, but then I realized I'd much prefer closed air as I would like to take these out and about and not piss everyone off lol.

Next I compared them with the A700's and these seem fantastic as well, but they don't seem as suitable for outdoors as the m50's..atleast in appearances.

Now, I am currently stuck between the m50 and the Ultrasone 780. Aesthetically speaking, the 780's cans look a little more sexy with the polished metallic surface, but on the other hand I haven't been able to find a picture of them being worn, so I'm a bit worried the band might give that "I have boobs on my head" appearance. But of course Aesthetics aren't quite as important as quality.

Quote:
Also consider some Ultrasones within your budget. Their S-Logic has a way of creating soundstage that's really immersive for some people, and they have good punchy bass to them.

I've read some reviews and heard the S-logic can make the soundstage sound a little..exaggerated? And that with the larger soundstage it can somehow make some sounds less pronounced or something along those lines?

I should make a note that I like to feel isolated with my music, which is an other reason I think I'd prefer closed air. I'm not sure how the quality of the bass will affect what I'm looking for, but what is most important for me is having the ability to pronounce those uplifting moments of trance songs, the parts that rise and rise and send shivers flying through your body. Of course a beautiful and punchy bass is important.

Oh, I need to mention that I will not be using an amp, I'd like them to be self sufficient.

That's about it. If you know of a better ultrasone model suited  for my taste than the 780 (under 160$) let me know. I'd be happy if those of you who have experience with these 2 headphones could give me your opinions and comparisons between the 2, being mindful of the type of music (which I gave examples of in my prior post). Thanks for the help thus far. ^^

May 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #3,671 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Just joined today, I'm looking for a set of headphones budget is around $275. I have never had a nice set of phones before I mostly use buds also bought a few pair of skullcandy got the hesh and g.i. on sale for $20 each. Source will be computer or ipod. I also got the Fiio E7 & E9 thats why I want a decent pair of phones. I have been looking at the Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium  would t w  would the 32, 250 or 600 Ohms be better for my needs. Other advice on phones in the same price range would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

May 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3,672 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Just joined today, I'm looking for a set of headphones budget is around $275. I have never had a nice set of phones before I mostly use buds also bought a few pair of skullcandy got the hesh and g.i. on sale for $20 each. Source will be computer or ipod. I also got the Fiio E7 & E9 thats why I want a decent pair of phones. I have been looking at the Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium  would t w  would the 32, 250 or 600 Ohms be better for my needs. Other advice on phones in the same price range would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Since you have an E9 I would go for the 600ohm.

May 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #3,673 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks

What kind of music do you listen to? and what is your sound preference if any. there are alot of great cans for that price, especially seeing as you have a competent amp to start with, but its kind of hard to recommend anything without knowing what you are looking for.

May 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3,675 of 29,490
Hello, Head-Fi-ers!

I was looking around at buying some new headphones, because I have had he same pair for a long time, and I was looking for an upgrade. I would like to spend around 150-200$, but I would be willing to spend more on a good pair of headphones. Noise cancelation is good, but not a necessity. I listen to rap/hip-hop, soft rock, classical piano, and a little bit of dubstep and electronic instrumentals. I prefer over ear headhones, but I'm not opposed to in ear headphones. From looking around on the internet and this site, I found a few pairs of headphones that seemed to suit my needs, but I'm open to any other ideas.

Creative Aruvana Live!

Soundmagic PL 50

Sony MDR V-6

Ultrasone HFI-580

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Thanks for your advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back