++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3,706 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,I've been looking for a set of closed portable headphones that would be good for classical music and opera. I bought the Beyerdynamic dt 1350, but they don't work for me with classical music so I was thinking of selling them and saving up for the Ultrasone Edition 8's. Does anyone use these for classical music or does anyone have any other suggestion? They definately need to be closed. I suppose that the size doesn't matter but I'd have to limit an amp to something portable.Thanks

Another 'phone in that price range is the Beyer T5p (NOT T50p) but I haven't had a chance to hear it.

Also FYI, beware the Denons.  They say they're closed but they have no isolation and leak a bit of sound.  Probably not what you're after.

May 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #3,707 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, I need some help, guys!

My newest addition, the DT990/600, is not as good as I hoped it to be. Bass is too strong and sounds horrible with anything that is not 100% instruments - so no Hip-Hop, no distortions, no Electronica. It is very much in the front, too. I love that the bass with the HFI-780 is far in the back - it creates an immense depth. Although I wanted a headphone that shines with Jazz and has a more neutral presentation than my Ultrasones, I didn't expect them to sound that bad with everything else.
Another thing that bothers me is soundstage. It creates a full rich sound in and around the head, but that's the problem. Positioning is worse than my HFI-780 and I don't like that the music plays inside my head. I was hoping for a more distant, yet engaging sound. I was also hoping for more depth at a 300€ price tag.
Female voices sound a little too thin at times (Michael Jackson's voice is piercing). The resolution is also very unforgiving to any mastered victims of the loudness war.

Here are some alternatives that I've also checked out before:
- AKG 701: I actually liked what I heard, but I didn't get the chance to try my own music. I'm 100% sure that I'll be missing sub-bass, though.
- Sennheiser HD650: Not bad, but this warm and relaxed sound is not for me. I can imagine to adapt to the veil, but the warmth is way too much!
- Denon AH-D200: It's like the bad version of an Ultrasone. Boomy bass with piercing highs.
- Ultrasone PRO 750: Great bass, great soundstage, great sparkle in the highs... but the sound is too thin! Voices don't sound realistic at all.
- Grado SR-80: I was also offered to listen to the 325 but there was no reason. I did not like the presentation at all.

So, I like (not love) my Ultrasones and I was hoping to improve with a more neutral presentation as the presentation is pretty colored. I love S-Logic and the punchy bass, though.
My HJE900 amaze me every time with what I consider a lively, musical and realistic sound. (I know, this might be me, but I can't change it. To me, not only voices sound fuller and better than with any of the afore mentioned headphones! The Panasonic nails the tonality I'm looking for!) Soundstage and positioning is great for an IEM, too. I want THIS blown up into full size mayhem!

I was thus told to try out the DT880 but I got the DT990 for cheaper. (I didn't expect the DT990 to have that much bass for a reference model.) However, if the only difference is a more mellowed bass, I'm not sure if the DT880 would be good enough for me. Are there any other recommendations?
Would the Edition 8 suit me? If yes, I might save up until Christmas...

You've gone through a pretty good selection of headphones and seem to have a good idea of what kind of sound you want. Unfortunately, I think you might be at the point where modding might be easier rather than trying to find that magical headphone that fulfills all your needs. Fortunately, Ultrasones seem to have several mods available, and I believe a headfier named Kees is the one to track down. Do some searches for Ultrasone mods and see what comes up. Best of luck.

Quote:

Bump (sorry but am looking to make a purchase soon so any help would be appreciated!)

Thanks.

Hello Headfiers.  Been lurking for a while and looking to purchase my first pair of semi-decent headphones.

I am based in the UK and have around £80 to spend (US$130).

Previous headphones = Senn CX-100  >>>  Senn PX-100.  
The PX-100 broke so I got a refund. and now looking to get a new pair.

Portability is not the most important and I am not extremely concerned with open or closed as long as the quality is up there.  If you could recommend the best(I know, subjective...) open and the best closed back for around the £80 area it would be helpful.

Mainly listen to rock, pop, classical (Beethoven & Mozart etc). also play guitar and watch films with the headphones.  I realise I am listing a broad range of uses so it may be difficult to name a single pair of headphones but any advice will be helpful.

Currently been looking at -
- Allessandro MS1i due to so many positive reviews. I know these may not suit my classical (soundstage problems) and films (lacks bass) but will be good for rock and pop.
- AKG K518 (I managed to try the K518 very very breifly but it was a poor source and they just sounded like a quiet pair of my CX300.)
- AKG K450 (small and portable but mixed reviews here)
- Shure SRH440 (Nice reviews here on head fi)

Auditioning phones is not possible due to location.  

To be honest I am totally lost.  I know don't which phones to buy and what the sound signatures are like of each one which is why I need help.  Should I just buy the Allessandros and ignore the lack of bass and soundstage? (is the sound really that good).

thanks very much people! Any advice is appreciated!

I liked the 440 when I heard them. Like a less bassy version of the 440, nice even sound across the spectrum (so good for most genres, except bass heavy/movie explosions), decent build quality. The K518 are good, but clamp quite a bit and would be uncomfortable for long periods. Same goes for the 450 to a lesser extent.

May 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #3,708 of 29,490
Hey guys. I'm thinking I should go back and give some IEMs another chance.

I have finally busted the cable up on my old freebie Philips ones up enough that I don't want to "tolerate" their quality anymore. I tried the Mee M6 until the cable jacket busted. I couldn't get a seal during the brief period that I had them, so it may be worth trying once again with a new set of tips, but I'm open to other cheap recommendations. I don't want to go into much considering I don't know if I'll ever be able to deal with fit issues yet. I'm currently thinking a $50 limit considering the massive numbers below there, some of which are pretty well received.

So basically, can somebody give me a IEM, and a tip that fits my musical tastes (rock, metal, etc. mostly).

I've never found a silicone tip that fits particularly well. I have yet to try a hybrid or a foam tip and am thinking it's the way to go.

EDIT: Unless it's nice clean bass, I'd prefer it to be bass light rather than overwhelming or muddy. I love quick, accurate bass, but in my projected price range, I don't see it happening all that often.

May 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #3,709 of 29,490
Amp for Sony XB1000 ?

Hi guys, im new to the audiophile scene. Bought a new pair of headphones recently (Sony XB-1000) for 2 major reasons:

1 - Comfortable as hell (even though you look like princess leia, but hey its for home use)

2 - Heavy and kickass bass

They gave me a portable amp that has many controls to tune the bass, i adjust it in such a way so that the subwoofer volume is more than the speaker volume. For me, i value the quality of the BASS more than the quality of the MUSIC.

But the dial and controls on this portable amp are too small and it uses batteries, i need a full size amp that has more or less the same BASS controls so i can achieve the " subwoofer volume is more than the speaker volume" effect. If anyone knows a good one, ill really appreaciate your recommendation ^^

May 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #3,710 of 29,490

I'd honestly say get a hardware EQ if you want to do something this severe.
Quote:
Amp for Sony XB1000 ?

Hi guys, im new to the audiophile scene. Bought a new pair of headphones recently (Sony XB-1000) for 2 major reasons:

1 - Comfortable as hell (even though you look like princess leia, but hey its for home use)

They gave me a portable amp that has many controls to tune the bass, i adjust it in such a way so that the subwoofer volume is more than the speaker volume. For me, i value the quality of the BASS more than the quality of the MUSIC.

But the dial and controls on this portable amp are too small and it uses batteries, i need a full size amp that has more or less the same BASS controls so i can achieve the " subwoofer volume is more than the speaker volume" effect. If anyone knows a good one, ill really appreaciate your recommendation ^^

May 4, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #3,711 of 29,490
Quote:
Amp for Sony XB1000 ?

YMB will build you an M^3 with a bass boost dial for probably way more than you're looking to spend which is the closest thing I know of.  You're probably better of using EQ and a regular amp unless you've got money to burn.

May 4, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3,713 of 29,490

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-MINIFBQ-FBQ800-9-Band-Graphic-Equalizer-with-FBQ-182044-i1125164.gc Something along these lines is what I was thinking. Amp wise I'm not sure what to suggest to pair with it. Do you actually need an amp? Do they not get loud enough for you?
Quote:

Wow thanks for the info about EQs, didn't even think of that. Any nice EQ+AMP setups you guys can recommend ?

May 4, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #3,714 of 29,490
Yes i do need an amp, the sound is much better and the bass is much punchier. But that may be because there are some user controls on my amp that are simple for me unlike an Equalizer which controls seems abit too much for a noob like me. Here is a shot of my current portable amp :

I need a full size amp that has these features that are easy to use for me, E.G i flip the ((( ))) button and the bass becomes more alive.

May 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #3,715 of 29,490

Not sure that a full sized amp like that exists.

EQs are really easy  to understand as long as you don't do something stupid like jam all the low bars all the way up and blow your headphones.

EDIT: A lot of retro receivers have a Bass EQ knob. That's the easiest it's gonna get.
Quote:
Yes i do need an amp, the sound is much better and the bass is much punchier. But that may be because there are some user controls on my amp that are simple for me unlike an Equalizer which controls seems abit too much for a noob like me. Here is a shot of my current portable amp :

I need a full size amp that has these features that are easy to use for me, E.G i flip the ((( ))) button and the bass becomes more alive.

May 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #3,717 of 29,490

Okay, so my budget is $500 or 40,000 yen since I live here in Japan I can stretch my budget but please keep it to minimum.

I will be using it for portable music player and I`m a basshead. 

I listen mostly to rock, alternative rock, some hip-hop and few on slow musics.

Design is also important since I will take the headphones out some portability would be nice too.

any suggestion will be helpful?

May 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #3,718 of 29,490
Bought the Tma-1's last week, and I really like them. They seem a tad bit muffled on some songs, but the sound quality is great otherwise.

Anyway, these are my first real headphones, and I'm wondering what I should buy next. I'm going to wait until they stop working, of course. But I'd like to know what I'm going to buy so that when they break in a few years, I'll know what to replace them with. I want something with a better soundstage, and good clarity, buy I don't want something that will hurt my ears by being too treble-heavy. Perhaps something responsive to eqing.

Style wise, I'm not too bothered, but I'd prefer something that isn't bright and flashy in any way, but it doesn't matter too much.

I'd like to keep the price below $250 please.

May 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #3,719 of 29,490
Ultrasone Pro 900. Bug, but portable. One of the kings of bass around here, and right around your price range.
Quote:

Okay, so my budget is $500 or 40,000 yen since I live here in Japan I can stretch my budget but please keep it to minimum.

Design is also important since I will take the headphones out some portability would be nice too.

May 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #3,720 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi

Im new in this forum, but i are a member of another forum. Im new in the game so i don´t know much about headphones, amps or DACs. I have tried to read as much as possible about headphones, amps and DOCs but in practice i don´t have much experience. Last week my new Cowon J3 arrived and i´m really happy and really satisfied about the sound, but with my AKG K450 i don´t feel that i get the full potential out of the J3, and i think the best thing to do is the ask some people who knew this stuff. I´m really interested in sound an hi fi (a trumpet nerd) so... 

I listen to many different music categories mostly, classical music (solo trumpet, symphony orchestras...) Jazz (miles davis, chet baker, wynton marsalis...) R&B, Soul and pop (Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Micheal Jackson...) and much classic rock and hard rock/metal  (AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Pink Floid, Judas Priest, Metalica, Deep Purple...)

If i rate them.

1. Classical 
2. Jazz
3. R&B, Soul and Pop 
4. Rock/metal 

I would come with proposals but i don´t have the experience so i don´t feel i can do it. But i have got some proposals from my other forum, Sennheiser HD-650 with a good amp, and Audenze LCD-2 with the Lyr amp from Schiit, i think that when you start easy with not the best products, not bad, but not the best, you have something to compare to when you start on the top line products. And as far as i have understood both the sennheiser and the Audenze headphones are pretty top line headphones, but since i don´t know so much about these things i´m asking you guys for advices.

My Budget are ca 1500$ i can go a little higher but i´d like to stay under 1500$, these will be home headphones, i´l take the the portable ones later:wink: I will connect the amp to the cowon so please propose some cables too connect all this.

I´m new to this forum, and i know that this isn´t the place to putt amp and cable stuff, but it was more easy to just post awry thing here, but be my guest to move the thread.

Thanks for all help!

NewInTheGame  

I highly recommend taking one step at a time and moving yourself slowly up the chain (buy used if you can, we have a great buy/sell forum here). When you're planning on spending that kind of money, you have to know not just what kind of sound you want, and how you like it reproduced. At your price point, you're opening up into option like orthos and stax, which present music different than your conventional dynamic drivers. Take the long traveling road and try out all the toys in between before settling on your destination.

Quote:

A few basshead headphones I've had experience with, ranked (in my opinion) from best to worst: Phiaton MS400, M-Audio Q40, Beats Pro... and the Sony XB series kinda slots somewhere around the Q40 depending which model you go for (I liked the XB500 more than the 700)

Quote:
Bought the Tma-1's last week, and I really like them. They seem a tad bit muffled on some songs, but the sound quality is great otherwise.

Anyway, these are my first real headphones, and I'm wondering what I should buy next. I'm going to wait until they stop working, of course. But I'd like to know what I'm going to buy so that when they break in a few years, I'll know what to replace them with. I want something with a better soundstage, and good clarity, buy I don't want something that will hurt my ears by being too treble-heavy. Perhaps something responsive to eqing.

Style wise, I'm not too bothered, but I'd prefer something that isn't bright and flashy in any way, but it doesn't matter too much.

I'd like to keep the price below $250 please.

You do realize that by shopping around now, you're just going to wind up buying a new toy right? Escape now, while you still have a chance!

That said... subdued aesthetic tones, similar to TMA-1 sound but better clarity and soundstage, less treble... maybe a Sennheiser or the Shure 840 (or the upcoming 940 assuming it's similar)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back