++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,676 of 29,490
Hi. I recently looked at the phiaton ms400 and felt like getting myself a pair of those headphones. Another pair of headphones that caught my attention was the phiaton ps500. What I want to know is how good is the ps500 compared to the ms400

May 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #3,677 of 29,490

Quote:
What kind of music do you listen to? and what is your sound preference if any. there are alot of great cans for that price, especially seeing as you have a competent amp to start with, but its kind of hard to recommend anything without knowing what you are looking for.

Some of the music I listen to Linkin Park, ac\dc, Shinddown, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits also like to listen to movie scores. I don't listen to hip hop, rap  or techno. I don't know what I'm looking for, I normally use the buds that come with the device or buy what ever buds are on sale. After listening to the E7 & E9 with cheap headphones I got to thinking I should get myself a nice pair of cans. I'm a total newb when it comes to headphones.

Thanks

May 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #3,678 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, Head-Fi-ers!

I was looking around at buying some new headphones, because I have had he same pair for a long time, and I was looking for an upgrade. I would like to spend around 150-200$, but I would be willing to spend more on a good pair of headphones. Noise cancelation is good, but not a necessity. I listen to rap/hip-hop, soft rock, classical piano, and a little bit of dubstep and electronic instrumentals. I prefer over ear headhones, but I'm not opposed to in ear headphones. From looking around on the internet and this site, I found a few pairs of headphones that seemed to suit my needs, but I'm open to any other ideas.

Creative Aruvana Live!

Soundmagic PL 50

Sony MDR V-6

Ultrasone HFI-580

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Thanks for your advice!

I've owned the MDR-V6 and would advise you against those- they manage to be harsh and boring at the same time.  SRH840 are my favorite closed headphone under $200, but I'm very fond or Ultrasones (tho I haven't heard the model you list), I'll let others can comment on those.  I much prefer open headphones compared to closed headphones around the same price- you might consider Alessandro or SR80/225.

May 2, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,679 of 29,490

Quote:
I find most of the Ultrasones tend to have wobbly frequency response, not that this is necessarily a bad thing (as I tend to be ocd about measuring things like that). The Senn is flatter and more monitor like, but with a pronounced bass and high end as expected for DJ cans. Ultrasones typically have a strong bass response, but this is also due to their S-Logic which works for some but not all. Isolation is better on the Senn. Clamp/comfort is a tossup since you're comparing a supra to circumaural can.

The HD25 you can at least audition at most any music store. The Ultrasones are a little harder to come by.

Well, both of them are hard to get here in the Philippines but somehow you're right. Low-end Senn models are readily available here while I haven't encountered a store that sells Ultrasones. I would probably get them online through a friend in the US. I kinda hard to buy since I just really on reviews as I cant audition them. Any other closed headphones you recommend for rock?

May 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #3,680 of 29,490

Quote:
OK!

So the AH-D2000's are far out of my price range but they are quite nice, thanks for the suggestion.

The AD700's sound great too, but then I realized I'd much prefer closed air as I would like to take these out and about and not piss everyone off lol.

Next I compared them with the A700's and these seem fantastic as well, but they don't seem as suitable for outdoors as the m50's..atleast in appearances.

Now, I am currently stuck between the m50 and the Ultrasone 780. Aesthetically speaking, the 780's cans look a little more sexy with the polished metallic surface, but on the other hand I haven't been able to find a picture of them being worn, so I'm a bit worried the band might give that "I have boobs on my head" appearance. But of course Aesthetics aren't quite as important as quality.

I've read some reviews and heard the S-logic can make the soundstage sound a little..exaggerated? And that with the larger soundstage it can somehow make some sounds less pronounced or something along those lines?

I should make a note that I like to feel isolated with my music, which is an other reason I think I'd prefer closed air. I'm not sure how the quality of the bass will affect what I'm looking for, but what is most important for me is having the ability to pronounce those uplifting moments of trance songs, the parts that rise and rise and send shivers flying through your body. Of course a beautiful and punchy bass is important.

Oh, I need to mention that I will not be using an amp, I'd like them to be self sufficient.

That's about it. If you know of a better ultrasone model suited  for my taste than the 780 (under 160$) let me know. I'd be happy if those of you who have experience with these 2 headphones could give me your opinions and comparisons between the 2, being mindful of the type of music (which I gave examples of in my prior post). Thanks for the help thus far. ^^

I still think the 780 would be a better choice. The S-Logic tech creates soundstage by directing some of the pressure to the outer ear to simulate how sound is "naturally" perceived. For music with critical positioning, things might feel a little off, but for most uses you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Since your kind of music is not live recorded anyways, your soundstage is already artificial to begin with.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Just joined today, I'm looking for a set of headphones budget is around $275. I have never had a nice set of phones before I mostly use buds also bought a few pair of skullcandy got the hesh and g.i. on sale for $20 each. Source will be computer or ipod. I also got the Fiio E7 & E9 thats why I want a decent pair of phones. I have been looking at the Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium  would t w  would the 32, 250 or 600 Ohms be better for my needs. Other advice on phones in the same price range would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

If only for home use, you might as well go with the 600 ohm. If you're going portable with the e7, stick with the 250. Other headphones in that range: Denon D2000, AKG K701, Audio Technica ESW9... you didn't really specify what kind of sound you were looking for, so these are just random suggestions.

May 3, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3,681 of 29,490

Quote:
hi, ive been looking for a nice pair of over ear headphones, closed back (preferably),  nice frequency response,  good for hardcore, techno, rock, and my maximum price is about 60 bucks. thanks for the help 
smily_headphones1.gif

Ultrasone 15g, Grado SR60 (open), Koss Porta Pro (semi-open), Audio Technica M30/35, Senn HD228, Senn PX200-ii

Quote:
Hello, Head-Fi-ers!

I was looking around at buying some new headphones, because I have had he same pair for a long time, and I was looking for an upgrade. I would like to spend around 150-200$, but I would be willing to spend more on a good pair of headphones. Noise cancelation is good, but not a necessity. I listen to rap/hip-hop, soft rock, classical piano, and a little bit of dubstep and electronic instrumentals. I prefer over ear headhones, but I'm not opposed to in ear headphones. From looking around on the internet and this site, I found a few pairs of headphones that seemed to suit my needs, but I'm open to any other ideas.

Creative Aruvana Live!

Soundmagic PL 50

Sony MDR V-6

Ultrasone HFI-580

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Thanks for your advice!

I would recommend doing some more reading on iems as they will provide far better isolation than closed headphones. Incidentally, the AD700 is open. For satisfying dubstep/electronic, look for something with good bass extension (not just volume).

Quote:
Well, both of them are hard to get here in the Philippines but somehow you're right. Low-end Senn models are readily available here while I haven't encountered a store that sells Ultrasones. I would probably get them online through a friend in the US. I kinda hard to buy since I just really on reviews as I cant audition them. Any other closed headphones you recommend for rock?

Grado and Ultrasone are my default recommendations for rock, as I generally like to have that aggressive forward midrange. The Phiaton MS300 is also slots nicely in there.

May 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3,682 of 29,490
I don't like heavy bass,from what I have read I would say I would like neutral, balanced bass/mids/treble . Been       
Been reading fourms and reviews all day, starting to get a little confused with all thats out there.

May 3, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #3,683 of 29,490

Quote:

Some of the music I listen to Linkin Park, ac\dc, Shinddown, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits also like to listen to movie scores. I don't listen to hip hop, rap  or techno. I don't know what I'm looking for, I normally use the buds that come with the device or buy what ever buds are on sale. After listening to the E7 & E9 with cheap headphones I got to thinking I should get myself a nice pair of cans. I'm a total newb when it comes to headphones.

Thanks

well in that price range you have alot of options. first up my advice would be to get yourself down to a decent hi-fi store and audition as many different sounding headphones as possible. does not matter if they are ones you intend on buying, its just to try to work out what you like and dont like as far as colouration and sound signature goes. there is no such thing as bad sound, just different flavors, especially in that price range. i know its tempting to jump in and buy something based on good reviews, but sound is a very personal thing. what sounds good to some will sound terrible to you and vice verca.

i love AKG K702s which are a possibility for you, but many dont, especially for the style of music you like. They are a very detailed and transparent headphone, but have too little bass for many and also have quite a "thin" sound that makes them less "fun" for most people. I do like Hybrid theory over them, but AC/DC lacks impact.

there are a fair few audio technica headphones that you could get, many of which are very popular around here, but i am yet to hear any properly myself so i cant say if i personally recommend any. have a search for EWS-9s or M50s on here and read some reviews to see if they are for you.

Denon D2000s are also nice, quite bassy and very fun to listen to. again, i haven't spent much time with them but they do get you tapping you feet. i assume that L/P and acdc would be good though them, but i only really listened to hip hop and classical when i was auditioning them.   If you get D2000s and dont like them i will buy them from you ^_^

Finally, don't forget that there are plenty of people here on head fi selling second hand. you might be able to save quite a bit of cash if you buy from someone on here or afford something you normally couldn't. most people on here take very good care of their gear too. so their stuff is normally in great or as new condition.

May 3, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #3,684 of 29,490
bumping ahead... need this info guys...

Quote:
hi folks,

i have been doing some research on the forum for the past few days and realized that i need to get my hands on some decent headphones. i want something full size but with less impedence. this is because i am planning to use it for traveling and without the use of a headphone amp. i have been considering these-

hd 595
beyer 770 32 ohm
hd 25
ultrasone 650

can you suggest anything else?

also, if i have phones with less impedence and i start using a headphone amp, will it be different from using one with higher impedence?

May 3, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #3,686 of 29,490

Quote:
Grado and Ultrasone are my default recommendations for rock, as I generally like to have that aggressive forward midrange. The Phiaton MS300 is also slots nicely in there.

Alright sir thanks! The MS300 looks awesome. I looked at the reviews and I like what I read. However, it is not that durable. But I will look into it. Maybe when I go to Singapore later this year.

May 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #3,687 of 29,490

Hello Headfiers.  Been lurking for a while and looking to purchase my first pair of semi-decent headphones.

I am based in the UK and have around £80 to spend (US$130).

Previous headphones = Senn CX-100  >>>  Senn PX-100.  
The PX-100 broke so I got a refund. and now looking to get a new pair.

Portability is not the most important and I am not extremely concerned with open or closed as long as the quality is up there.  If you could recommend the best(I know, subjective...) open and the best closed back for around the £80 area it would be helpful.

Mainly listen to rock, pop, classical (Beethoven & Mozart etc). also play guitar and watch films with the headphones.  I realise I am listing a broad range of uses so it may be difficult to name a single pair of headphones but any advice will be helpful.

Currently been looking at -
- Allessandro MS1i due to so many positive reviews. I know these may not suit my classical (soundstage problems) and films (lacks bass) but will be good for rock and pop.
- AKG K518 (I managed to try the K518 very very breifly but it was a poor source and they just sounded like a quiet pair of my CX300.)
- AKG K450 (small and portable but mixed reviews here)
- Shure SRH440 (Nice reviews here on head fi)

Auditioning phones is not possible due to location.  

To be honest I am totally lost.  I know don't which phones to buy and what the sound signatures are like of each one which is why I need help.  Should I just buy the Allessandros and ignore the lack of bass and soundstage? (is the sound really that good).

thanks very much people! Any advice is appreciated!

May 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #3,688 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply Surruk, I will look for a store that carries high end headphones and try some out, if I go with the Denon D2000 who has the best price on them I checked Amazon and they are $350 little more than I wanted to spend. I had a Denon reciever for 7 years which sounded great so I know they make good stuff. Is there a big diffrence in Ohm's looks like they run from 25-600, all I really know is the higher ohm you need a amp to drive them. Would one at 600ohm with the E9 sound better than one at 50 with the same amp, it does get a little overwhelming with all the choices out there. Thanks again

May 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #3,689 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Surruk, I will look for a store that carries high end headphones and try some out, if I go with the Denon D2000 who has the best price on them I checked Amazon and they are $350 little more than I wanted to spend. I had a Denon receiver for 7 years which sounded great so I know they make good stuff. Is there a big difference in Ohm's looks like they run from 25-600, all I really know is the higher ohm you need a amp to drive them. Would one at 600ohm with the E9 sound better than one at 50 with the same amp, it does get a little overwhelming with all the choices out there. Thanks again

No problem man, as you can probably tell by my post count i am fairly new to all this too.

Little story for you. I took the plunge and bought the K702s before i did any real research. I live in Australia, and things are crazy expensive over here. (K702s often retail here for 800-1000 USD). so when i saw a that a top (or at least very high) tier headphone was available for $230 i jumped at those AKGs like there was no tomorrow despite not knowing anything about hi-fi. Only after i bought them, and was waiting for them in the mail (i hate USPS BTW, they seriously suck)  did i read about how they needed amplification etc and that different headphones have seriously different sounds. Luckily i really like the K702s, i tried out several other high end cans at a local Hi-Fi shop after i get the 702s. tried things like like the D2000s and HD 650s and i ended up liking 702 as much, if not more than any of them for the music i "actively" listen to. but imagine how crap i would feel if i had of found out that i didn't like their sound Sig at all >_>

I was dam lucky, but i have made it my job to point out to people that finding the headphone that is right for them is SO much more important that grabbing something you think looks cool and costs a lto. try and hold off buying something until you find something you really like. past $150 or so its largely a game of taste rather than something being good or bad, so don't dismiss things below your optimal budget either or you might miss out on your own personal "perfect" phone. for example I have a set of $50 TDKs. i have had them since year dot, WAY before i even thought about high end audio. They are far from brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, but i love them to bits for the easy going sound they make and what it does to my hip hop and folk music. I assume the HD 201s are a far superior head phone, but i much prefer these to the sens as they fit my tastes.

Anyway, getting back to business. The Denons can be had for 250 or there abouts on ebay i think, or second hand on here for a bit more than $200 which would be a great price. someone is selling some at the moment, but i might be buying those :p also, if you do get the D2000s there are a set of Jmoney ear pads that apparently vastly improve the D2000s, something to keep in mind.

As for impedance, i will leave that to someone else to explain. I have a rudimentary working knowledge, of the basics but i don't have enough experience of knowledge to give a 100% solid answer and i don't want to lead you astray and look like a tard if i end up being wrong :p

May 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #3,690 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Surruk, I will look for a store that carries high end headphones and try some out, if I go with the Denon D2000 who has the best price on them I checked Amazon and they are $350 little more than I wanted to spend. I had a Denon reciever for 7 years which sounded great so I know they make good stuff. Is there a big diffrence in Ohm's looks like they run from 25-600, all I really know is the higher ohm you need a amp to drive them. Would one at 600ohm with the E9 sound better than one at 50 with the same amp, it does get a little overwhelming with all the choices out there. Thanks again

Check J&R. People around here buying Denons often call them up and haggle. Not sure if they'd lower the D2000 a lot, but I'd at least try.

Ohms isn't the only thing that matters for knowing how hard to drive something is. Sensitivity matters as well. Although the Denons are very easy to drive, you'll hear a big difference when you give them some juice. They prefer Solid State amps, si the E9 is a solid start. Just avoid OTL tube amps when you upgrade again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back