++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #3,182 of 29,490
Hi all head-fiers,

That's my first post in head fi and I'm looking for some suggestions.  My current setup is ipod touch --(line out)--> Corda XXS --> Audio Technica ES-10. I mostly listen to J-Pop, Rock and Classical. Now I'm looking to move on to a home setup. I would like to keep the budget for the headphone under 600 US dollars. After doing a whole bunch of research, I narrowed down to two options- Denon D5000 and Beyerdynamic DT880. They are both all-rounded and suitable for many types of music. I'm looking to connect either one of these two heapdhoens to MSII+&Corda Swing or Corda Cantate, but I didn't make up my mind yet. Other suggestions for headphones/amp/dac are welcomed though. Please help me decide for the headphone. Thanks for the help :D

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #3,184 of 29,490
Hey head-fi, lurker here looking for some top tier headphones for metal and hip hop. I was checking out some Sennheiser HD 25-1 ll's and I also heard HD598's are pretty good. Any suggestions on what I should do? Some of my favorite artists at the moment are Misery Signals, Ihsahn, The Contortionist, OFWGKTA, and Coheed and Cambria.

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3,185 of 29,490
Hey guys, always been interested in high-end audio and will probably be an audio enthusiast in the future.

Bottom line: I'm looking for the best setup possible (preferably portable) for under (or slightly above $200). I really don't know where to start!

The music I love:
My favorite artists are The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Wolfmother, King Crimson, and others of the spacy-progressive-ish rock type, as well as electronic music like Daft Punk and a good amount of dubstep. I'm very particular about my audio files - my favorite albums are in FLAC (mainly just for archival) and I'm sure to get the cleanest audio file possible from the best source (like vinyl, directly from CD, etc.)

As for preferences in the style of them, I really don't care whether they're open ended or closed. I just want great audio :D

I got my brother the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 about a month or two ago after doing some research for what he wanted (noise cancelling as a priority), and I was thoroughly excited about the audio quality after giving is a go with my own music - I loved how clear it sounded compared to what I was listening with before... I felt like the music had depth and a 3D space to it. AWESOME. The vocals and instrumentation just jumped into reality (to my inexperienced ears at least, lolz).

Anyway, I just want the best setup I can get that suits my listening interests, including (but not necessarily) an amp. My source will mainly be a 160GB iPod Classic.

tl;dr About a $200 budget to get an the best headphones and/or amp for my Floyd/Beatles and electronic music interests. Help!

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #3,186 of 29,490

Quote:
Want a very good, versatile headphone for music on pc and gaming (pc and ps3).  Comfort is very important, trying to decide between hd558 (modded to 598), hd598, hd600, and dt880.

Check the first post in this thread for a link to a gaming headphone guide which can help you evaluate your options. For the money and no/minimal need for amping, I would say the 558/598 are your better picks.

Quote:
Hi all head-fiers,

That's my first post in head fi and I'm looking for some suggestions.  My current setup is ipod touch --(line out)--> Corda XXS --> Audio Technica ES-10. I mostly listen to J-Pop, Rock and Classical. Now I'm looking to move on to a home setup. I would like to keep the budget for the headphone under 600 US dollars. After doing a whole bunch of research, I narrowed down to two options- Denon D5000 and Beyerdynamic DT880. They are both all-rounded and suitable for many types of music. I'm looking to connect either one of these two heapdhoens to MSII+&Corda Swing or Corda Cantate, but I didn't make up my mind yet. Other suggestions for headphones/amp/dac are welcomed though. Please help me decide for the headphone. Thanks for the help :D

if you like the sound of your ES10, the Denon would probably be more pleasing to your ear overall. Plus you can drive it with the XXS without need to buy a whole new amp. Take that money saved and upgrade to the jmoney leather earpads instead.

Quote:
Are the ultrsone 550/580 worth the 50 bucks more then the m50's?

I didn't like the 550 that much, but the 650 is good (but it's another $50 up). I haven't heard the 580 (or don't remember) so can't comment on it.

Quote:
Hey head-fi, lurker here looking for some top tier headphones for metal and hip hop. I was checking out some Sennheiser HD 25-1 ll's and I also heard HD598's are pretty good. Any suggestions on what I should do? Some of my favorite artists at the moment are Misery Signals, Ihsahn, The Contortionist, OFWGKTA, and Coheed and Cambria.

For your genres, my vote goes to the HD25-1-ii.

Quote:
Hey guys, always been interested in high-end audio and will probably be an audio enthusiast in the future.

Bottom line: I'm looking for the best setup possible (preferably portable) for under (or slightly above $200). I really don't know where to start!

The music I love:
My favorite artists are The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Wolfmother, King Crimson, and others of the spacy-progressive-ish rock type, as well as electronic music like Daft Punk and a good amount of dubstep. I'm very particular about my audio files - my favorite albums are in FLAC (mainly just for archival) and I'm sure to get the cleanest audio file possible from the best source (like vinyl, directly from CD, etc.)

As for preferences in the style of them, I really don't care whether they're open ended or closed. I just want great audio :D

I got my brother the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 about a month or two ago after doing some research for what he wanted (noise cancelling as a priority), and I was thoroughly excited about the audio quality after giving is a go with my own music - I loved how clear it sounded compared to what I was listening with before... I felt like the music had depth and a 3D space to it. AWESOME. The vocals and instrumentation just jumped into reality (to my inexperienced ears at least, lolz).

Anyway, I just want the best setup I can get that suits my listening interests, including (but not necessarily) an amp. My source will mainly be a 160GB iPod Classic.

tl;dr About a $200 budget to get an the best headphones and/or amp for my Floyd/Beatles and electronic music interests. Help!

I would say either the Phiaton MS400 or Audio Technica ESW9 (it's pricier new, but you can find it used for under $200). The MS400 has a thicker bottom end but doesn't give up the mids. The ESW9 is more mid focused but has a similar warmth to its character. Neither needs an amp, and within your budget I would just focus on the headphones.

On the cheaper end, the Sennheiser PX100-ii is a fantastic little performer and is actually my most used headphone at the moment when I don't need isolation. Going this route would leave some money for a budget amp like the various cmoys or pa2v2 or FiiO e7, or pushing the total budget with an iBasso T3/T4.

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #3,187 of 29,490
I'm thinking about getting a pair of Grado SR60i for my brothers birthday. Not 'till December, but I would like to plan now. I never know what to get him.
Ozzy is one of my brothers favorites, and I know he listens to prince. I only see him once a year, so I have no idea what bands or rap he listens to.

Questions:

Are these good for classic rock and rap? He listens to them both equally.

How comfortable and portable are these?

Go well with glasses?

I mainly just want to get them so I can try 'em out :D I would still like them to suit his genres a bit, though.

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #3,188 of 29,490
They would suit reasonably well (maybe not enough bass for rap, depending on the artists). As for comfort... well, buy them yourself and try. It's really hard to describe the Grado fit/comfort.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #3,189 of 29,490
Hi guys, I've gotten an opportunity to shop for my first pair of real headphones. I'm looking for a pair of 100$ headphones.120 tops. I currently have sony mdr-xd100 so I am expecting a lot from my new headphones.

I'm looking into headphones for music only. OK, maybe watching a movie from time to time. I listen to most types/genres of music e.g. pop, rock, rap, RnB. I want to know what you think the best choices  would be.

I would prefer closed headphones because they will be used from the living room pc.Portability should not be considered as i do not plan to take them outside of the house. I narrowed my search to ath-m50, ath-a700 and maybe HD 448. Also I am not planing of buying an amp anytime soon.

All recommendations are appreciated. What do you think my best choices are ???

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,190 of 29,490
Thanks Armaegis. I did some more research on the two you suggested and decided on the ESW9's. I just ordered them and threw in a Fiio E5 just for the hell of it (~15 bucks, why not?). I think I'll find myself happy in a week. Thanks again for the quick response, wasn't expecting much from a 213 page thread to be honest! 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #3,191 of 29,490

The HD 448 do well with rock music given that the midrange presence is superb for a 100 dollar headphone.  I honestly have preferred it over some more expensive models I have tried.  You can get my impressions in my signature (link).  The 448's smooth transitions should help with a lot of the "effects" you'll hear in pop music as well.  Low end presence will really be the only potential flag here, and I honestly think with a little help these headphones have more low end than people give it credit for.

I've heard the M-50 and I think it has a slightly recessed midrange, emphasized lows and a small emphasis in the highs... this won't be favorable for rock but may suit pop/RnB alright.

I think it'll be difficult to find anything you'll dislike about the 448.
Quote:
Hi guys, I've gotten an opportunity to shop for my first pair of real headphones. I'm looking for a pair of 100$ headphones.120 tops. I currently have sony mdr-xd100 so I am expecting a lot from my new headphones.

I'm looking into headphones for music only. OK, maybe watching a movie from time to time. I listen to most types/genres of music e.g. pop, rock, rap, RnB. I want to know what you think the best choices  would be.

I would prefer closed headphones because they will be used from the living room pc.Portability should not be considered as i do not plan to take them outside of the house. I narrowed my search to ath-m50, ath-a700 and maybe HD 448. Also I am not planing of buying an amp anytime soon.

All recommendations are appreciated. What do you think my best choices are ???

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3,192 of 29,490
I'm looking for a good budget-fi open set of cans which contrast heavily with my SR-60i. Looking for a good side-grade, not upgrade in otherwords. Would the HD238 be it, or do they overlap in sound signature too much?

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3,193 of 29,490
I'm looking for the best pair of wireless headphones I can buy for my budget. My budget is only around £40 or $80NZD. I will be using these headphones for my computer and they will mostly be used for watching movies and listening to music so I want them to have clear sound. I don't know much about headphones but I was going to go for the Philips SHC2000/05 but I live in New Zealand and I cannot find them anywhere in shops and amazon UK will not send them to me. Hope someone can help :) The types of music I usually listen to are J-Pop, Rock and sometimes Classical.

EDIT: I would prefer wireless but as I said I do not know much about headphones, If wireless headphones provide a significant lower quality sound then I don't mind going for Wired headphones.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #3,195 of 29,490
Look for a portable headphone that is a good all rounder. Bass is important, but all around good sound is the main focus. I love my TMA-1s, but they're so ridiculously dark that it's tough to listen to some kinds of music out of them. Thinking a pair of ESW9s after hearing them at a meet yesterday, but they feel somewhat fragile, which worried me.

Suggestions? IEMs or Headphones are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back