++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #3,151 of 29,490

Thanks for the suggestions Armaegis! I ordered the ATH A700. Could you also suggest a semi closed headphone/headset for gaming and music as well. This one is for my brother. He doesn't want the headset to completely isolate external noise but he doesn't want open headsets/headphones either. Is there anything like this? His main usage would be 80% fps gaming and some music. Something under $100. A headset would be more convenient but if it can't be helped, he can always get an external mic.

Thank youSUBMIT

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3,152 of 29,490
Hi, I am looking to get some good all-round headphones.  I want to use them for gaming on pc and ps3 and music also on the pc.  I listen to a wide variety of music including rock, punk, progressive rock, some metal, lots of irish music, lots of black keys and other bluesy stuff, and some other stuff I can't really think of.  So far my audiophilia has gotten me the re0s (from a recommendation here) and I really like them a lot.  I definitely appreciate details and accuracy so for this reason I was considering the AKG K701/2 because they seem to be good for details and are highly recommended for games by Mad Lust.  I was also considering something a little more fun which brought me to the DT880s or 990s (probably 600 ohm) as these are both also highly recommended for games.  I was also thinking about the fischer audio fa-011, fa-03, or fa-02w but they seem very difficult to get so I'm not super excited about those.  I am actually going to be looking for an entire rig for my pc which will serve as a good baseline that can grow with me and accommodate many different headphones but I'll ask about that elsewhere once I get the phones narrowed down.  Any feedback would be awesome.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #3,153 of 29,490
Quote:
This one is for my brother. He doesn't want the headset to completely isolate external noise but he doesn't want open headsets/headphones either. Is there anything like this? His main usage would be 80% fps gaming and some music. Something under $100. A headset would be more convenient but if it can't be helped, he can always get an external mic.

The Sennheiser PC330 might work.  The 'phones its based on doesn't seem to have =2567]crazy isolation.  I've never heard one, but its likely better than usual crap marketed for gaming use.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #3,154 of 29,490

Hello, Recently purchased an AKG K601 and am really enjoying it. The point of this post is that I am tossing around the idea of a getting a closed can to add to my repertoire.  I have done some looking around and searching on the forums, but most of what I found were older threads, and since I know absolutely nothing about the closed can market, I did not know if there were any new additions out there that might be better than what I found from reading those older posts.

What I am in search of is a closed can around the $200 price point to augment my K601's.  The type of sound I am looking for from them would be best described as follows. . .and yes, maybe I am just on a pipe dream with these desires, but oh well 
rolleyes.gif
. . .

•  Similar to the HD600's, where you can listen for hours and hours and never feel fatigued the least bit. . .but I do not want the "veil" that I find in the HD600's.
  •  I would like for the bass to reach a little lower, like that of my DT990's.
  •  The soundstage would preferable be closer than either of the previously mentioned headphones, as I am looking for a smaller soundstage, but still not where I feel like I'm neck deep in the band's amps.
  •  Lastly, I do not want any harsh trebles. . .of course this probably goes along with them not being fatiguing.  

General idea is that I want a nice semi-balanced sound, with slightly rolled off highs, a little more bass extension and impact (no bass canons though), and not fatiguing.

Before I repeat myself again, which I feel like I already did once (sorry for that), I will lastly say that these will be used primarily for rock and heavy metal as my K601's will completely fill my time with orchestra, most OST's, and for gaming.

Thanks in advance,

-Blitz

P.S.  Oh, and I have my Fiio E9 for amplification.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549385/looking-for-a-closed-can-alternative#post_7406114

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3,156 of 29,490

I was just thinking that, or the Phiaton MS400. Warm relaxed sound, moreso than the 840. Smallish rounded yet intimate soundstage, Lots of bass that bleeds a bit into the mids but in such a pleasant way that you don't really mind, and highs that are quite tamed.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #3,157 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_Blitzkrieg 

Hello, Recently purchased an AKG K601 and am really enjoying it. The point of this post is that I am tossing around the idea of a getting a closed can to add to my repertoire.  I have done some looking around and searching on the forums, but most of what I found were older threads, and since I know absolutely nothing about the closed can market, I did not know if there were any new additions out there that might be better than what I found from reading those older posts.

What I am in search of is a closed can around the $200 price point to augment my K601's.  The type of sound I am looking for from them would be best described as follows. . .and yes, maybe I am just on a pipe dream with these desires, but oh well 
rolleyes.gif
. . .

•  Similar to the HD600's, where you can listen for hours and hours and never feel fatigued the least bit. . .but I do not want the "veil" that I find in the HD600's.
  •  I would like for the bass to reach a little lower, like that of my DT990's.
  •  The soundstage would preferable be closer than either of the previously mentioned headphones, as I am looking for a smaller soundstage, but still not where I feel like I'm neck deep in the band's amps.
  •  Lastly, I do not want any harsh trebles. . .of course this probably goes along with them not being fatiguing.  

General idea is that I want a nice semi-balanced sound, with slightly rolled off highs, a little more bass extension and impact (no bass canons though), and not fatiguing.

Before I repeat myself again, which I feel like I already did once (sorry for that), I will lastly say that these will be used primarily for rock and heavy metal as my K601's will completely fill my time with orchestra, most OST's, and for gaming.

Thanks in advance,

-Blitz

P.S.  Oh, and I have my Fiio E9 for amplification.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549385/looking-for-a-closed-can-alternative#post_7406114

if he wants to listen to metal i strongly advise staying away from the shure srh840. i own them and metal sounds bad with them imo. only genres i find sound good are classical, some pop and electric, as well as jazz. i have tried these genres and its a shame metal doesn't sound that great with them as that's my favorite genre. i suggest you look for something with the smile curve of rock. a dip in the mids and more emphesis on the bass and highs. i can't name any headphones though as i am still a noob and haven't tried that many pairs of headphones. good luck though.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #3,158 of 29,490
Haha you aren't kidding man. I couldnt afford much back then and now I have a job in which i make a substantial amount more. My only damage originally was buying 2 headphones(ms1 and hd590) and an amp(headfive). The headfive is fantastic. I have felt no need for another amp. Curious but not curious enough at least.

Quote:
If that's the only damage you've done since 2006, you're way ahead of the curve. Can I interest you in an amp to go with that Beyer?
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #3,159 of 29,490

Quote:
if he wants to listen to metal i strongly advise staying away from the shure srh840. i own them and metal sounds bad with them imo. only genres i find sound good are classical, some pop and electric, as well as jazz. i have tried these genres and its a shame metal doesn't sound that great with them as that's my favorite genre. i suggest you look for something with the smile curve of rock. a dip in the mids and more emphesis on the bass and highs. i can't name any headphones though as i am still a noob and haven't tried that many pairs of headphones. good luck though.

IMO - take this advice with a grain of salt.  I have the Shures, and while I'm not a metal head - I do listen to a lot of progressive Rock and they're pretty good with this genre.  BCasey has some EQ issues - and may not be truly representing the "actual" sound profile of the Shures.  They're a good can Blitz, and according to what you wrote ....

Quote:

...... it sounds like a pretty good description of the 840's.

If you can find somewhere to demo them, it would be worthwhile to have a listen.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #3,160 of 29,490
Can anyone describe the sound of the DT 860? (Looking for easily driven open headphones with warm sound, pleasant soundstage for around/under $200 in short)

Although I may still consider the K240MkII if they are indeed an upgrade from my M50.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #3,161 of 29,490

Quote:
Haha you aren't kidding man. I couldnt afford much back then and now I have a job in which i make a substantial amount more. My only damage originally was buying 2 headphones(ms1 and hd590) and an amp(headfive). The headfive is fantastic. I have felt no need for another amp. Curious but not curious enough at least.

Pfft, that's quitter talk. Look at all that tasty new gear out there, just begging your ears to try them out. So many new headphones, so many new amps, so many FOTMs calling your name... just buy and sell used... it's so easy... it's not like you need all that extra money right?
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #3,162 of 29,490
guys, please recommend me some full-sized closed-back headphones under $600.
i've had Beyers DT770 (250ohm,600ohm), switched to Shure SRH840 (which i own now) and I AM REALLY TIRED of waiting for the SRH940 to be released.

my wife doesn't like the music i listen to (The Mars Volta being the most listened to) so minumum sound leakage is required.
i'm currently aiming at Audio-technica W1000x, but not sure about it yet.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #3,163 of 29,490

Quote:
I was just thinking that, or the Phiaton MS400. Warm relaxed sound, moreso than the 840. Smallish rounded yet intimate soundstage, Lots of bass that bleeds a bit into the mids but in such a pleasant way that you don't really mind, and highs that are quite tamed.

Plus the MS400 is much more engaging.  I could never really settle in and be happy with the Shures once I heard some other brands, but I'm quite content with my MS400 as my go-to portable cans for all genres of music.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3,164 of 29,490

Quote:
guys, please recommend me some full-sized closed-back headphones under $600.
i've had Beyers DT770 (250ohm,600ohm), switched to Shure SRH840 (which i own now) and I AM REALLY TIRED of waiting for the SRH940 to be released.

my wife doesn't like the music i listen to (The Mars Volta being the most listened to) so minumum sound leakage is required.
i'm currently aiming at Audio-technica W1000x, but not sure about it yet.

Why did you switch from the Beyers to the Shures in the first place?  Why are you unhappy with your Shures?

If you ditched the Beyers because they were too bright, and find the Shures too bland, you might want to take a look at some pro-oriented gear that is designed to be neutral.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #3,165 of 29,490
Beyers had too much sibilance (at 10khz) for me, also they made my head go hot and felt too uncomfortable.
Shures were better in every aspect to me - nice mids, almost no sibilance and they are verrry comfy.

what i don't like is their big roll-off in highs after about 14khz, the sense of "veil" in sound and pretty small soundstage.
yep, i know that their nice sides are built on their "flaws". but i'd like to try something of higher tier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back