++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #3,136 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, 

Could use your guys guidance. Right now I have a pair of HD555 by Sennheiser. For the most part I like the way they sound but I would like something better. My problem with them is they are not very comfortable for more then an hour or so. So for around $200 with comfort being #1 thing. What would you buy? The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 looks good as right in there own advertising they talk about comfort. My only problem with them is I dislike the 1/8 jack. I know they come with a 1/4 adapter but it still bothers me. I will be using the headphones for gaming/movies mostly with some mixed music as well. I will be powering these phones with a ASUS Xonar STX sound card.

Thanks for your time
                                          Fahrenheit 

Comfort is a very fuzzy thing to qualify for different people. In general, you want something with a light clamp which spreads pressure evenly, but has just enough to stay on your head securely.

The most comfortble headphones I've owned or tried (in rough order): Phiaton PS500, Audio Technica AD700/A700, Senn PX100/100-ii, Senn HD228, B&W P5
which are all quite different in how they distribute pressure.

The audio technica wing system is comfortable, but I also have a fairly wide head. Those with smaller heads have reported having trouble keeping the headphones on. the Phiaton is just super comfy due to its very soft earpads, but the pleather pads mean they will feel warmer compared to your 555 velour. Small supraaurals (Senn PX100, HD228, B&W P5) can be very comfortable, but some people don't like the feel of anything on their ear. The clamping pressure if also seemingly a greater factor for supra than for circumaural cans.

So anyhow, all this blathering really comes down to one thing: try a whole bunch of different cans if possible and see which feels best to you. In many ways, comfort is just as important as sound quality.

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is any headphone within 500$ could serve pop, ballad well? I'm leaning toward the ath ad2000, since i have some relatives living there. But i'm still want some advices from you.
P/s: i'm using a pair of ck10 and totally fall in love with it.

The AD2000 is generally regarded as one of the best headphones for female vocals. If you get a chance, try either the AD700 or AD900. If you like the sound and comfort, then consider moving up to the more expensive AD2000. If you want to buy without trying, the used pricing here is about $400 (maybe a tad more as they've been scarce lately) so you won't be too far off if you want to sell it to recover finances to try something else.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #3,137 of 29,490

Hello people. This is my first post, it's gona be long ,and i'll probably use the wrong terms all the time, sorry about that! Be gentle im a total noob
bigsmile_face.gif

Soooo...being a googloholic, i've been googling myself to death these past months trying to find a"good for my needs, great for my wallet headphones", and so far it's been fun, but very frustrating.
Probably any hp that i'll list later on, will suit my needs perfectly, but im looking for the "best bang for the buck" concerning the use i'll put them trough.

That will be gaming 60%, music 40%.
For gaming, immersiveness( real word?) is what i'm after, so soundstage is not that important. The genre of music i listen to is psytrance, goa, electro, house and the likes, i also listen to blues, soul and soundtracks.

I'll be using the headphones at home with my pc trough a xonar dx soundcard and behringer microamp HA400 (yes i know it's crappy, but it's wallet friendly), so portability/fashion is not a problem. Most of my music is 320kbs mp3 and flac, but i still have some albums at 128kbs.

About the gear i own:

Closed: the best hp i have would be the srh440, the SQ is great. I love the great tight bass  that extends deep enough, and the clarity of the sound, but the crisp highs can be too crispy for me at times. The comfort tough is awful to say the least, i have an alien/melon shape head so i can't use the srh440 for long, even after changing the earpads.

Inear: the ah-c452 canalphones are fun to listen to on the go, with the huge punchy  bass and the strong mids, and the highs don’t kill the ears. Excellent for Drum & Bass.

Semi-open: i had the DTX700 for 6months before they broke about a year ago(left driver died), all i remember is that they were quite comfortable, except that they were supra-aural , very plastic:ish built, the bass was punchy, lack of soundstage, and detail.

My future hp must be:

-comfortable (very important)
-circumaural (preferably)
-sturdy/well built (should last for a while)
-open ( preferably open because i already have a good closed one, but close is ok)
-SQ comparable/better  to/than the shure.
-detachable cable (not so important, but preferable)
-FUN and engaging/(warm?) (the srh440 are great, but sometimes they feel a little bit too analytical)
- i hate sibilance/sharp highs/too piercing stuff, you get the point
confused.gif
(makes my ears ring for hours)

Now here are my options, there's hp from different price range( in no particular order):
-Goldring dr50, dr100       price: 50€ = 73$ ( the dr100 is in offer)
-SHP8900                                70€ =101$
-Goldring dr-150                        99€ = 144$ (built quality, sibilance?)
-Beyerdynamic DTX910             90€ = 130$ (interested in, but the built quality is questionable?)
- ATH-AD500                            100€ = 145$ (too boring, too sibilant?)
-DT-440                                   120€ = 174$ (not comfortable enough/ built quality?)
-HD-558                                  135€ = 195$ (not really interested, but i had to put at least on sennheiser can)
-DT-250                                   155€ = 225$ (this i will buy as an upgrade from the srh440 when i'm ready
normal_smile%20.gif
)
-DT-990pro                              155€ = 225$ (must have a good amp,maybe too sharp/sibilant?)
-AKG k-601                             155€ = 225$ (need a good amp?)
-D1100                                    125€ = 180$ (i know these are close, but they look great
biggrin.gif
)

The grados and the ad700/ad900 are not an option because i can't get them "affordably" and from what i read they might be too sharp/sibilant/whatever for me.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, any help would be greatly appreciated
atsmile.gif
ps. no i'm not going to buy an amp (yet), and sorry for the bad english, and the long post.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #3,138 of 29,490
Of the ones you listed, the only one that doesn't have a substantial markup compared to US prices is the DT990 (and maybe Goldring? I'm not too familiar with them).

Also to consider: http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones
which are basically Grado but without the stupid markup for international customers, and I *think* their shipping is free...

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #3,139 of 29,490
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASONE-PRO-550-PRO550-PROFESSIONAL-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-/310311410473?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item4840005b29 Thinking about ordering theseany comments would be great.I plan on mostly gaming and these will be hooked directly too my Ht omega striker. Will i be happy with these?

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #3,140 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only differentiation between the supra/circumaural with the grados is in the pads. The 60/80 come with flat pads, the 125 and up come with the ring shaped ones. The 1000 range have giant bowls. None are what I would call super comfortable, but not really uncomfortable either due to the rather light clamping pressure.

I find the full sized Ultrasones share some sonic characteristics with the grados, but that's highly dependant on the listener.

I was looking at the AD900s and I hear they would be a good upgrade from the HD555s, and are also very comfortable (and are right at my price point). They are also a bit more neutral than the grados I hear, which I think I might actually want. Plus I hear the soundstage is muuuchhh better than the grados.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #3,141 of 29,490

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASONE-PRO-550-PRO550-PROFESSIONAL-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-/310311410473?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item4840005b29 Thinking about ordering theseany comments would be great.I plan on mostly gaming and these will be hooked directly too my Ht omega striker. Will i be happy with these?

Ultrasones do funny things with the soundstage which might not be ideal depending on the game. If you're playing FPS and need critical directionality, I would pass. Otherwise, general gaming should be fine. If you play games that wants heavy bass, then consider the Pro650 which has more oomph in the lows.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #3,142 of 29,490

Quote:
I was looking at the AD900s and I hear they would be a good upgrade from the HD555s, and are also very comfortable (and are right at my price point). They are also a bit more neutral than the grados I hear, which I think I might actually want. Plus I hear the soundstage is muuuchhh better than the grados.

The full sized open Audio Technicas are hard to beat for soundstage, and are generally considered one of the best headphones for competitive gaming. They are super comfortable, though tend to suit wider heads better. Small/narrow heads might have trouble keeping them on. My feeling with Grados is like you're standing right in the middle of the music, which is fantastic sometimes, but at othertimes a bit much.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #3,143 of 29,490

Quote:

Ultrasones do funny things with the soundstage which might not be ideal depending on the game. If you're playing FPS and need critical directionality, I would pass. Otherwise, general gaming should be fine. If you play games that wants heavy bass, then consider the Pro650 which has more oomph in the lows.

ARGH! Now i really dont know what to chose,yes i only play fps. Im just sick of buying junk headphones i would like a good pair around that 150.00 mark.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #3,144 of 29,490
I need surround headphones for my 360 and PS3.  I currently have a Denon AHD2000 for listening at home and Etymotic HF2s for on the go.  I've been using my Denon's when I can't use surround system (which now tends to be more often than not) but I'm sick of losing positional sound in movies and games.  I'm trying to figure out the right way to go.  Would I be best getting a surround amp to use with my Denons or buying a set of cans dedicated for gaming?  My budget is under $300, but if I can get an amp for $70, I'd be perfectly happy. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3,146 of 29,490
I need surround headphones for my 360 and PS3.  I currently have a Denon AHD2000 for listening at home and Etymotic HF2s for on the go.  I've been using my Denon's when I can't use surround system (which now tends to be more often than not) but I'm sick of losing positional sound in movies and games.  I'm trying to figure out the right way to go.  Would I be best getting a surround amp to use with my Denons or buying a set of cans dedicated for gaming?  My budget is under $300, but if I can get an amp for $70, I'd be perfectly happy. 

You should buy my Astro MixAmp. :D

It really does work. I loved it when I cared about positional sound in gaming. I bet it'd pair really well the the D2000

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3,147 of 29,490

Quote:
ARGH! Now i really dont know what to chose,yes i only play fps. Im just sick of buying junk headphones i would like a good pair around that 150.00 mark.

Quote:

Both of you guys, read here for gaming headphone reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone#post_7208658

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #3,148 of 29,490
Both of you guys, read here for gaming headphone reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone#post_7208658

And ask gaming related questions there to keep this thread from getting clogged up. I try, but poor Armaegis has been doing all the work lately...

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3,149 of 29,490

Quote:
And ask gaming related questions there to keep this thread from getting clogged up. I try, but poor Armaegis has been doing all the work lately...

This thread has become a terrible way for me to procrasinate from work...
rolleyes.gif
Plus I've owned or heard a lot of the midrange headphones which seems to be the main draw of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back