++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #3,166 of 29,490

Quote:
Beyers had too much sibilance (at 10khz) for me, also they made my head go hot and felt too uncomfortable.
Shures were better in every aspect to me - nice mids, almost no sibilance and they are verrry comfy.

what i don't like is their big roll-off in highs after about 14khz, the sense of "veil" in sound and pretty small soundstage.
yep, i know that their nice sides are built on their "flaws". but i'd like to try something of higher tier.

Denons don't have the roll-off in the treble  (D5000 have a slight emphasis, D7000 can get a bit excessive) and have a much bigger sense of space.  Mids can get overshadowed sometimes by bass & treble and they leak some if you listen at high volumes in a quiet room.  But overall I like them more than SRH840, which I like a lot.  I find that my Ultrasones get everything right (deep bass, gorgeous mids, extended highs, spacious and detailed soundstage, no leakage), but those are ED8 and I haven't heard the others. 

edit: or you could just wait for the SRH940
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #3,167 of 29,490
Denons don't have the roll-off in the treble  (D5000 have a slight emphasis, D7000 can get a bit excessive) and have a much bigger sense of space.  Mids can get overshadowed sometimes by bass & treble and they leak some if you listen at high volumes in a quiet room.  But overall I like them more than SRH840, which I like a lot.  I find that my Ultrasones get everything right (deep bass, gorgeous mids, extended highs, spacious and detailed soundstage, no leakage), but those are ED8 and I haven't heard the others. 

edit: or you could just wait for the SRH940
tongue.gif

I'd suggest the Pro 750 if you want a more flat sound. I loved my time with them before I bought my D7000. The Pro 750 was flat in the best way I could think of. The only warning I'll give is the headband gave me problems on comfort.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3,168 of 29,490
Hello ya'll,

I still haven't made up my mind on a headphone; here is a list of the ones I have in my sights-

1. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms

2. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohms

3. Audio Technica ATH-A700

4. Audio Technica ATH-A900

I know that the DT 770 Pros and ATH-A700 are closed while the DT-990s are open; I also know that the DTs and ATHs have two different soundstages. I listen to classic, hip hop, techno, dubstep, pop, virtually any genre. I like isolation and the ability to cancel outsides noises with a good seal (ie airplane hum so that would eliminate the DT 990 but I've heard they have great and are highly praised). I'd be powering them through my 4 gen iPod Touch via Monster iCable 800 Aux input cable with the Behringer HA400 4 channel headphone amp. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3,169 of 29,490
Hello ya'll,

I still haven't made up my mind on a headphone; here is a list of the ones I have in my sights-

I know that the DT 770 Pros and ATH-A700 are closed while the DT-990s are open; I also know that the DTs and ATHs have two different soundstages. I listen to classic, hip hop, techno, dubstep, pop, virtually any genre. I like isolation and the ability to cancel outsides noises with a good seal (ie airplane hum so that would eliminate the DT 990 but I've heard they have great and are highly praised). I'd be powering them through my 4 gen iPod Touch via Monster iCable 800 Aux input cable with the Behringer HA400 4 channel headphone amp. 

You want a closed headphone. Open ones won't isolate you at all, plus if you're into Hip Hop, Dubstep, etc. they won't have the bass you're looking for either (most likely).

I'd suggest a DT 770 if you want Beyers because it's a closed can and isolates very well, and they're comfy to boot. I can't speak much to the ATH options. Also, if you're looking to use them on the go...I'd suggest a more portable amp. That Behringer requires external power, correct? If so you won't be able to power 250 Ohm cans without an amp.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3,170 of 29,490
The Behringer does require an external but it is also can be powered by 4 AAAs. I've heard that the Pros have a different sound to them than their non Pro counterparts even if they have the same Ohms.

Quote:
Quote:
Hello ya'll,

You want a closed headphone. Open ones won't isolate you at all, plus if you're into Hip Hop, Dubstep, etc. they won't have the bass you're looking for either (most likely).

I'd suggest a DT 770 if you want Beyers because it's a closed can and isolates very well, and they're comfy to boot. I can't speak much to the ATH options. Also, if you're looking to use them on the go...I'd suggest a more portable amp. That Behringer requires external power, correct? If so you won't be able to power 250 Ohm cans without an amp.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #3,171 of 29,490
The Behringer does require an external but it is also can be powered by 4 AAAs. I've heard that the Pros have a different sound to them than their non Pro counterparts even if they have the same Ohms.

I haven't met a closed headphone yet that has adequate bass for things like Dubstep. I'd still suggest the DT 770 because of that, and isolation. Pro vs Non Pro is more up to you. I haven't tried the Pro 990 myself, but I don't think the bass would satisfy someone for Electronic music.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #3,172 of 29,490
I wouldn't take any of those on a plane. When space is a premium, you really want to consider something portable that folds down and/or collapses.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #3,173 of 29,490
I wouldn't take any of those on a plane. When space is a premium, you really want to consider something portable that folds down and/or collapses.

Well I dun no about that...Depending on how casual your plane ride is, around the neck is always an option...Or how much you need the space in your carry on bag. Heck, most of the plane rides I take I only have my headphone gear in my carry on because it's always in my hands.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #3,174 of 29,490
How's the bass, mids, and highs on the 770? In your view, is the Pro a better headphone than the consumer variant? Head open headphones generally don'y provide a good bass thus a tight seal but make up for it in their mids and highs.

Quote:
Quote:

I haven't met a closed headphone yet that has adequate bass for things like Dubstep. I'd still suggest the DT 770 because of that, and isolation. Pro vs Non Pro is more up to you. I haven't tried the Pro 990 myself, but I don't think the bass would satisfy someone for Electronic music.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #3,175 of 29,490
I suppose, but the A700 and DT990 are huge and not what I would call neck-wearable. At least the Beyers are a bit more rugged for stuffing into a bag, while the AT's not so much. In any event, I've seen people asked to put large headphones into their carry-on/check-in before, and some airlines make you take off large headphones during takeoff/descent/turbulence/etc while smaller ones or iems are usually ok.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #3,176 of 29,490
How's the bass, mids, and highs on the 770? In your view, is the Pro a better headphone than the consumer variant? Head open headphones generally don'y provide a good bass thus a tight seal but make up for it in their mids and highs.

They don't 'make up for it' with Electronic Genres, IMO. Most Electronic music is very bass-centric, and thus that is what I look for (me personally). I also look for a little extra bass for the small amount of Hip-Hop I listen to as well because I've noticed a lot of more modern Hip-Hop is hitting lower bass end.

Pro vs Consumer 770: Pros have more bass to the point of slightly too much (IMO). They overpower the sound a little making it warmer (which is okay) but a little more muddy when you higher up the spectrum. The sound stage also seemed bigger on the Consumer 770, and that's why I'd go with those. Plus, the Consumer 770s look better, IMO.

EDIT: Typos.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #3,177 of 29,490
I suppose, but the A700 and DT990 are huge and not what I would call neck-wearable. At least the Beyers are a bit more rugged for stuffing into a bag, while the AT's not so much. In any event, I've seen people asked to put large headphones into their carry-on/check-in before, and some airlines make you take off large headphones during takeoff/descent/turbulence/etc while smaller ones or iems are usually ok.

Really? I've never had that problem before with my bigger cans. That seems like an odd thing to make someone do.

Regardless, yeah, I will agree on the ruggedness. Beyers can take a beating that most ATH cans can't.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3,178 of 29,490
Maybe they worry that large headphones are a choking/strangulation hazard...? Or maybe some of those beefy ones like the DT48 can be used as a blunt weapon.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3,179 of 29,490
I'm not that concerned with their size. The Beyers are pretty big as well but not on the same scale as the ATs are.

Quote:

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3,180 of 29,490
The Beyers DT 770-Tesla 1 definitly have the larger bass quantity than the ATH-700-900s.

Quote:
Quote:

Really? I've never had that problem before with my bigger cans. That seems like an odd thing to make someone do.

Regardless, yeah, I will agree on the ruggedness. Beyers can take a beating that most ATH cans can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back