++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #3,121 of 29,490

Hi Guys,

First of all I thank you guys for putting so much effort on the forum to help others!

I was basically looking for a portable music system - Head Phones, Portable Head Phone amp, Portable music player. Iam a little tight on budget (approx 400 $ to 500 $ for all of these)

I would be using these for Gaming (First Person shooters) and Music: I dont know how to express in genre but it would be something like - Elton John to brian adams to backstreet boys to Instrumental etc.

Source would be: 1)Computer - Creative Audigy 2 sound card. 2)Portable audio player that you guys would be suggesting me.

This is how I would like to break up the budget approximately: 

HeadPhones-150$, amp-100$, Music Player- 150$ to 200$. More suggestions welcome :)

1)HeadPhones preference: Comfort, Wide soundstage, high details and slightly overpowered bass. After reading a lot, I short listed HD595.

2)AMP Preference: Small and portable, should not alter the music much like adding extra bass or treble etc (my music player should do that).
I came across many - Fiio E5, LDM+, PA2V2, C&C Headphone amp, Headroom Airhead etc. Seriously dont know which one to buy. Even though I know soldering, I dont have the debugging skills. So I think I should stay away from DIYs.

3) MP3 Player Preference: Good quality music output, built in graphic equalizer(I have the bad habit of changing this for every song I listen :D) and sturdy. I dont watch movies or use it for anything else much, so its only the audio o/p quality I care about. Copying files to the player should be easy as well.

I have short listed 2 items: Zune HD 16 GB OR if its really worth it then - Ipod 120 GB 6th generation(I read that the 7th generation dac was bad). BTW are there any modded firmware for these players so that all formats call be played back?

More suggestions welcome :)

Thanks for the Help. It would be nice if you would also tell me where to buy these. I prefer new items rather than used ones(unless they are like new).

Thanks,
Vinay.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #3,122 of 29,490

I would spend more on the headphone.  So something like Sansa Clip+ 8 GB for $55 and rockbox it, e7 for $100 and that leaves you with $250 for headphones.

Take a look at the Sennheiser 598 if 595 is your thing or AD900

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476881/audio-technica-ad900-review-and-compared-to-hd595

Gaming:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone#post_7208658

Oh and the DT990

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #3,123 of 29,490
Okay, me again. So I have been looking quite a bit around and figured I really would like to try a Westone pair. Mainly due to their shape and the way they fit, it seems perfect. (yes, the Shures pretty much look the same, but their sound don't seem like my thing). Also the descriptions i have been reading about the sound seems really nice, but I am unsure about which model to get.
I am basically in between the 2, 3, UM2 and UM3X. My main question is which one of these would give the most for its cost. Any help appreciated!

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #3,124 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, me again. So I have been looking quite a bit around and figured I really would like to try a Westone pair. Mainly due to their shape and the way they fit, it seems perfect. (yes, the Shures pretty much look the same, but their sound don't seem like my thing). Also the descriptions i have been reading about the sound seems really nice, but I am unsure about which model to get.
I am basically in between the 2, 3, UM2 and UM3X. My main question is which one of these would give the most for its cost. Any help appreciated!

Generally speaking, lower-tier models tend to be less subject to diminishing returns. Indeed, the consensus seems to be that the W2s and UM2s offer the better performance/price ratio, but they do have varying sound signatures.

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #3,125 of 29,490
The phiaton and m audio looked pretty good. But the thing is, I'm new to headphones ad own a pair of studios and pros ( beats by dr dre ) . To me those were good headphones. Until I bought the westone 4 which was amazing. but now I sold my beats so I can buy a over the ear headphones that matches the quality of the westone 4 . Would the phiaton be a good pick or m audio?

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,126 of 29,490

Quote:
The phiaton and m audio looked pretty good. But the thing is, I'm new to headphones ad own a pair of studios and pros ( beats by dr dre ) . To me those were good headphones. Until I bought the westone 4 which was amazing. but now I sold my beats so I can buy a over the ear headphones that matches the quality of the westone 4 . Would the phiaton be a good pick or m audio?

MS400: stronger mid bass, sits on the ears rather than around (unless you have small ears), better looks, does not need an amp, folds flat and comes with a case

Q40: better low end extension, rumbly bass, improves a lot with an amp, long cord but removeable

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3,127 of 29,490
Hey, my friend is looking for a new pair of headphones
Hes in university, so his budget is quite tight.  I would say MAX $50.  Hes in Canada, specifically Ontario.

He listens to almost exclusively rap and is a pretty big bass head, so I'm wondering what a good suggestion for strong bassy headphones be?

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #3,128 of 29,490

Quote:
MS400: stronger mid bass, sits on the ears rather than around (unless you have small ears), better looks, does not need an amp, folds flat and comes with a case

I made up my mind that i might get the phiaton. But i still got some more questions.

1. How good is the MS400 than the Beats Studios? Bass, Treble, Mids, isolation?

2. Since the beats is over the ear, will the phiaton give me all the sounds i need even though its on ear?

3. Are there other headphones you can recommend me that are better then the phiatons but that will give me the sounds i want?

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #3,130 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, my friend is looking for a new pair of headphones
Hes in university, so his budget is quite tight.  I would say MAX $50.  Hes in Canada, specifically Ontario.

He listens to almost exclusively rap and is a pretty big bass head, so I'm wondering what a good suggestion for strong bassy headphones be?

The best I can think of would be to find an old AKG closed portable (some also repacked under the JBL name) which are like little bass cannons. I can't think of any current models that have "good" bass within budget at Canadian prices.

Check out this thread for some ideas:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-76-portable-headphones-reviewed-pioneer-se-mj5-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added-04-07

Quote:

I made up my mind that i might get the phiaton. But i still got some more questions.

1. How good is the MS400 than the Beats Studios? Bass, Treble, Mids, isolation?

2. Since the beats is over the ear, will the phiaton give me all the sounds i need even though its on ear?

3. Are there other headphones you can recommend me that are better then the phiatons but that will give me the sounds i want?

Sonically they were just... meh. I would say average sounding for maybe a $100 headphone, but definitely not worth the $300 or whatever they go for. They do have better isolation and comfort though; can't deny that.

The MS400 bass is not as punchy, but feels way more controlled and "fuller" for lack of a better term, without messing up the mid spectrum.

On-ear vs over-ear is really up to the indivual person. It affects comfort and isolation differently for each person as well.

I already gave you a list of various headphone to try out. Just hang out and read the forums for a while and see what people talk about. Take everything with a grain of salt, and keep in mind that most products get way overhyped.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3,131 of 29,490
seriously screw this forum. I only came here to find something to replace my hd590 cause they were collecting dust. I ended up buying the m50 cause they were a good deal. Now I have a the ms2i on the way and shopping around for the dt990 600ohm... sigh

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #3,132 of 29,490
If that's the only damage you've done since 2006, you're way ahead of the curve. Can I interest you in an amp to go with that Beyer?
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #3,133 of 29,490
Hello, 

Could use your guys guidance. Right now I have a pair of HD555 by Sennheiser. For the most part I like the way they sound but I would like something better. My problem with them is they are not very comfortable for more then an hour or so. So for around $200 with comfort being #1 thing. What would you buy? The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 looks good as right in there own advertising they talk about comfort. My only problem with them is I dislike the 1/8 jack. I know they come with a 1/4 adapter but it still bothers me. I will be using the headphones for gaming/movies mostly with some mixed music as well. I will be powering these phones with a ASUS Xonar STX sound card.

Thanks for your time
                                          Fahrenheit 

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #3,135 of 29,490
I'm wondering if there is any headphone within 500$ could serve pop, ballad well? I'm leaning toward the ath ad2000, since i have some relatives living there. But i'm still want some advices from you.
P/s: i'm using a pair of ck10 and totally fall in love with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back