++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3,031 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Jacobs34 -

There are, of course, a thousand answers for how you might drop 1K for a good HP set up.  I'm pretty new to this and if I could go back  few months I might do it differently, but for my 1K I got an iBasso DB2 (balanced portable DAC [about to ship - so I'm using a Fiio E7/E9 temporarily,]) an iBasso PB2 balanced portable amplifier, an iBasso balanced interconnect (between the two,) Sennheiser HD650's, and balanced (Senn. HD650) chord also by iBasso.

That's a fully balanced, surprisingly powerful rig with a well respected headphone for about 1K.  There aren't a thousand ways to do that.  Another plus is that it's reasonably portable.  I'm not going to wear the 650s walking around, but I can easily take this back and forth between work and home and when traveling (maybe with a more portable HP.)  I've had the PB2 and HD650's running balanced for a several weeks now and while I don't have much for reference points to offer, it sounds pretty amazing.  You can read some favorable opinions of the pairing on the PB2 thread.  It's also fun to dink around with the opamps and buffers in the PB2, as iBasso sends a variety and some members have spent a bunch of time helping others fine tune the sound they might want out of it and offer some kits to help out.

So I now do occasionally find myself wishing that I was looking at a beautiful tube amp sitting on my desk, but that may come later and I can use the DAC as a stand-alone in front of any future amp and this set up can be just for portable needs or a work rig.

Just one dude's $1,000 - Many other ways to do it.  Some days I wish I bought some Audeze LCD-2's and worried about how to afford an amp later.  Other days I wish I didn't find this website.  Actually, you still have a chance - RUN NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Wow. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you have a good setup going. I've been circling around the HD650's for awhile now, as they seem to be reasonably priced and can scale pretty well as you upgrade the rest of your equipment. I will definitely check out the IBasso DAC's and Amps. As for running now, I think it was too late after the first time I put my AD 700s on.  

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3,032 of 29,490

Hi all,
First sorry for my bad english...
I'm looking for a pair of closed and circumaural headphones.
The use of these heaphones are, in order:
- Music 
- Gaming (not competitive, only single player experiences)
- Film

While mi favorite kinds of music are:
- Electronic (all genres, trance, house, techno ecc)
- Rock (metal in particular)

So i'm looking for a bassy headphone...I tried the Sony XB500 but the soundstage are IMHO too limited...
How are the beyerdynamic dt770 80? Shure SRH840? Audio-Technica M50?
Other choices?

PS: this future headphone will be connected to my pc sound card, i'm not going (at the moment) to buy an ampli...

Thank you all! ^^

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #3,033 of 29,490

Quote:
The first few pages of this thread have a great discussion on building quality rigs within a reasonable budget.

Many recommended HD600 with a compatible amp & inexpensive dac, which could be had for ~$600.  
I would recommend caution with such an expensive purchase- maybe buying a less expensive rig with an amp & dac that would work with a lot of headphones and then buying/selling a few headphones to find your preferred signature (buying used you only lose a little more than the price of shipping).  Rankings like these from people who've heard everything could also help.

Thanks for the links. As far as spending, I'm completely down for not spending the entire $1,000. I just wanted to throw a reference point out there to help people in giving advice. Do you think that spending the extra cash for the HD650's is worth it if I plan on upgrading my system over time?  

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #3,034 of 29,490
Quote:

Hi all,
First sorry for my bad english...
I'm looking for a pair of closed and circumaural headphones.
The use of these heaphones are, in order:
- Music 
- Gaming (not competitive, only single player experiences)
- Film

While mi favorite kinds of music are:
- Electronic (all genres, trance, house, techno ecc)
- Rock (metal in particular)

So i'm looking for a bassy headphone...I tried the Sony XB500 but the soundstage are IMHO too limited...
How are the beyerdynamic dt770 80? Shure SRH840? Audio-Technica M50?
Other choices?

PS: this future headphone will be connected to my pc sound card, i'm not going (at the moment) to buy an ampli...

Thank you all! ^^

The DT770 have the best soundstage out of your listed choices.  You might want to look at the the premium 32 and/or 250 versions which are by most people's opinions more refined than the pro versions.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #3,035 of 29,490
Hey guys.

I currently own some hd555s, which I run out of my macbook with no amp or anything, but I'm looking for a significant upgrade.
Yesterday I purchased the fiio e7 and e9 combo because I'll be using the e7 portably with my macbook around the house with my HD555s.

I'm looking for some phones to pair with my e7/e9 while in my dorm room, so I'm not looking for portability.

Here is what I'm looking for:
-circumaural (i found i like the circumaural comfort that i get with my 555s)
-open (sound leakage isn't a problem)
- around $240 in price (i will spend up to $300 BUT it has to be significantly worth it over phones in the 240 range)

I listen to a lot of rock music (Muse, Phoenix, The Fratellis), indie rock/electronic (LCD Soundsystem, MGMT, Passion Pit), and some electronic/house/drumnbass (deadmau5, the prodigy, pendulum)
Ideally it would be awesome that to get some cans that would be geared towards music like Animal Collective (be able distinguish between all the different sounds while still sounding warm)

I would air towards something that suits rock music, but I also want something that can deliver a punchy bassline when I decide to listen to some heavier electronic stuff.

I was looking at the AKG 701 because clarity and a good soundstage are appealing, but I'm worried that they will not have enough bass or will sound too dry with the e9 amp.

Any suggestions? Sorry if I'm bad at describing what I want, the only audiophile experience I have is with my 555s so I have nothing to base any of this off of.

[edit] I forgot to mention that comfort is pretty important to me.

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3,036 of 29,490
I usually am one giving advice, and now I come back looking for some guidance.

I'm going to be spending the next quarter year traveling all over the place, a major portion working as an ambassador in South Korea. With that, I am in need of some new portable head-fi gear.

I've always been a fan of Grados, there is just something about that sound--it's fantastic. Just to give a note on what I like in terms of sound stage and balance (I'm in love with the 325is--not bright to me). It's going to be hard moving to closed for awhile, as I have been using open/semi-open phones since day one.

-I need something closed, and very good at isolating. Long airline rides across the Pacific and CONUS call for this.
-I needs to either fold nicely or lie flat. These two things can be sacrificed by a small footprint.
-Should be $200 or less, otherwise I would've bought the P5 or T50p already.
-the phones must be able to take quite a beating. Bags, luggage checks. You know the deal.
-I know this is a lot to ask from a closed phone, but something that does not have over dominating bass. It needs to be tight and clean. I find loose bass one of the worst traits in phones.
-Comfort is subjective, I know, but something that many can agree is comfortable on a average (small/medium) sized head.

I've been looking at the HD-25-1 II, the TMA-1, ATH-M50, and the MDR-v6. They are all very respectable headphones.

Oh, and I do have a portable amp in the mail right now, that is a iBasso D10. It's going to be a DAC for my laptop and will use and iPod w/ LOD out as well. Both with 320 or lossless FLAC files.

Thank you, I respect and feedback on the matter.

Let the headphone picking begin! :)

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #3,037 of 29,490
Jacobs34-

Loads of folks love their 650s, but quite a few don't.  I think it's because they lack "Wow-Factor."  They're pretty laid back/gentle/soft or something.  Every once in a while, I throw on my M-50s, crank it and say - "Holy Krap!"  But I can wear the 650s for hours without listening fatigue and they are very comfy.  Occasionally, I'll give them a tiny boost at 4K and 16K and it livens/opens them up a bit.  They have more wow factor that way.  But usually I leave it flat and after a few minutes, I simply forget they are on.  I do think one needs some pretty respectable ampage to run them well.  I'm not convinced that balanced is worth the effort and I let that sway my decision a lot.  SE offers a lot more options.

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #3,038 of 29,490
Hello. I'm looking for gaming headphones. I want something that I can just hook directly into the headphone jack connection on my receiver, so I will need a pair of headphones that can be driven without an amp. I did a search on here. The Audio Technica ATH-A700's/AD700's (64 ohms and 32 ohms respectively) seem like the popular choices. I should be able to get decent quality sound without an amp for either of these, right? And, is it even worth it to buy a nice pair of headphones if this is my only option (the basic white and red stereo cables from my PS3 and Wii + headphones hooked directly into headphone jack connection)? I might be better off just buying a decent pair for $50 or less. I'm not really sure. Any help is appreciated.

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #3,039 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the links. As far as spending, I'm completely down for not spending the entire $1,000. I just wanted to throw a reference point out there to help people in giving advice. Do you think that spending the extra cash for the HD650's is worth it if I plan on upgrading my system over time?  

I can't help you with that one.  I opted for HD600 over HD650 (and haven't heard the latter) because I'm a fan of fast, exciting headphones & the HD600 have a reputation for being the brighter of the two and for being less picky about amps.  They are still warm & laid back imo, but are very versatile and satisfying with most kinds of music.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,040 of 29,490
hey all, as you'll probably notice i'm new on this forum....

but thats not what im here for, today i stumbled across an offer of second handed akg k500 for € 50 so i thought that seams like a bargain to me, but as they're discontinued i haven't got a clue how much tey went for in the first place, and if its actually a good price. second i was curious if these phones are really hard to drive, can you listen to them over a laptop without the need of extra amping, and will something cheap like a fiio e7 do the trick? (i found a nice offer for these too, 55 € bundled with hifiman re-zero's).

hope you guys can help :wink:

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #3,041 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys.

I currently own some hd555s, which I run out of my macbook with no amp or anything, but I'm looking for a significant upgrade.
Yesterday I purchased the fiio e7 and e9 combo because I'll be using the e7 portably with my macbook around the house with my HD555s.

I'm looking for some phones to pair with my e7/e9 while in my dorm room, so I'm not looking for portability.

Here is what I'm looking for:
-circumaural (i found i like the circumaural comfort that i get with my 555s)
-open (sound leakage isn't a problem)
- around $240 in price (i will spend up to $300 BUT it has to be significantly worth it over phones in the 240 range)

I listen to a lot of rock music (Muse, Phoenix, The Fratellis), indie rock/electronic (LCD Soundsystem, MGMT, Passion Pit), and some electronic/house/drumnbass (deadmau5, the prodigy, pendulum)
Ideally it would be awesome that to get some cans that would be geared towards music like Animal Collective (be able distinguish between all the different sounds while still sounding warm)

I would air towards something that suits rock music, but I also want something that can deliver a punchy bassline when I decide to listen to some heavier electronic stuff.

I was looking at the AKG 701 because clarity and a good soundstage are appealing, but I'm worried that they will not have enough bass or will sound too dry with the e9 amp.

Any suggestions? Sorry if I'm bad at describing what I want, the only audiophile experience I have is with my 555s so I have nothing to base any of this off of.

[edit] I forgot to mention that comfort is pretty important to me.

Well around these parts, rock and Grado/Alessandro are pretty much synonymous. Their comfort is a fuzzy issue, some people love it but a lot don't. It's well worth doing some research on them. I've tried a good multitude of them and say the breakpoints are the SR80/MS1 and HF2.

I did not really like the K701 for anything other than classical and acoustic.

In the meantime, do a search for modding the 555 into the 595. It's a quick and literally no-cost upgrade.

Quote:
I usually am one giving advice, and now I come back looking for some guidance.

I'm going to be spending the next quarter year traveling all over the place, a major portion working as an ambassador in South Korea. With that, I am in need of some new portable head-fi gear.

I've always been a fan of Grados, there is just something about that sound--it's fantastic. Just to give a note on what I like in terms of sound stage and balance (I'm in love with the 325is--not bright to me). It's going to be hard moving to closed for awhile, as I have been using open/semi-open phones since day one.

-I need something closed, and very good at isolating. Long airline rides across the Pacific and CONUS call for this.
-I needs to either fold nicely or lie flat. These two things can be sacrificed by a small footprint.
-Should be $200 or less, otherwise I would've bought the P5 or T50p already.
-the phones must be able to take quite a beating. Bags, luggage checks. You know the deal.
-I know this is a lot to ask from a closed phone, but something that does not have over dominating bass. It needs to be tight and clean. I find loose bass one of the worst traits in phones.
-Comfort is subjective, I know, but something that many can agree is comfortable on a average (small/medium) sized head.

I've been looking at the HD-25-1 II, the TMA-1, ATH-M50, and the MDR-v6. They are all very respectable headphones.

Oh, and I do have a portable amp in the mail right now, that is a iBasso D10. It's going to be a DAC for my laptop and will use and iPod w/ LOD out as well. Both with 320 or lossless FLAC files.

Thank you, I respect and feedback on the matter.

Let the headphone picking begin!
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the Phiaton MS300 which has a sort of grado like signature in that it has a nice and punchy sound. Isolation is ok, though not as good as the bigger MS400 (which is less punchy and more bass heavy). Both fold flat and come with a nice case.

I have not heard the TMA-1, but I've heard or owned the rest. Soundwise, I would say the HD25 and V6 would probably be more to your liking. These are readily available at any music store so give them a try and see how they feel and sound to you. The V6 collapses into a tiny form factor, whereas the HD25 does not but is more rugged overall. The V6 is also half the price.

Quote:
Hello. I'm looking for gaming headphones. I want something that I can just hook directly into the headphone jack connection on my receiver, so I will need a pair of headphones that can be driven without an amp. I did a search on here. The Audio Technica ATH-A700's/AD700's (64 ohms and 32 ohms respectively) seem like the popular choices. Would I be able to achieve great sound quality without an amp for either of these? Any help is appreciated. I do have a portable amp, but my receivers are old and don't have any line out connections that I could use.

Go back to the very first post of this thread and look up the link for a large gaming headphone review.

Quote:
I can't help you with that one.  I opted for HD600 over HD650 (and haven't heard the latter) because I'm a fan of fast, exciting headphones & the HD600 have a reputation for being the brighter of the two and for being less picky about amps.  They are still warm & laid back imo, but are very versatile and satisfying with most kinds of music.

For the price, I did not find the 650 a significant improvement over the 600. It was more a sideways movement to my ear. Then while you're there, you realize the 600 is basically the same thing as the 580 except with nicer grills and cable, which you can get for $20 bucks off ebay, and if you can still find the 580 they're aroun $100 or so.

If planning to start with a headphone rig and going into a speaker rig in the future, maybe consider how it will all integrate. Maybe a portable dac/amp that has a lineout so it can serve double duty for feeding a home amp later on?

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3,042 of 29,490

Quote:
hey all, as you'll probably notice i'm new on this forum....

but thats not what im here for, today i stumbled across an offer of second handed akg k500 for € 50 so i thought that seams like a bargain to me, but as they're discontinued i haven't got a clue how much tey went for in the first place, and if its actually a good price. second i was curious if these phones are really hard to drive, can you listen to them over a laptop without the need of extra amping, and will something cheap like a fiio e7 do the trick? (i found a nice offer for these too, 55 € bundled with hifiman re-zero's).

hope you guys can help :wink:

Those are both pretty good deals. Jump on them.

The e7 should do an adequate job, and you can always upgrade later if you have the extra cash. Try powering the K500 from a home receiver to see if you can hear any difference.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #3,043 of 29,490
Hello everyone!
I own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750 cans, and while I love them to death, I wanted to see if I would like a pair of headphones that were the complete opposite as far as sound signature. While the 750's are very precise and fast, they are also fairly cold. I began looking for more "fun" cans, something with warmer tones and a colored sound. I always knew what company I wanted to go for if I wanted a fun can, Grado. While I did spend a lot of money on my 750's, I don't think I can spend that much this time around. Around $100, with exceptions considered.

I've been looking at the SR-80i's because they fit right in that price frame, but I am always open to suggestions. I'll be using them at my computer powered by my DAC, and outdoors powered by my phone. I don't own an amp yet, so they need to sound good without an amp for now. It would also be nice if they were forgiving of bitrate, while my desktop is all FLAC, my phone isn't, and will most likely be pandora.

I do have one fear, though. I'm worried that my 750's have spoiled me a bit as far as sound goes. I have a friend that has a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros, and when I use those, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I'm worried that I may get the same feeling with the SR-80i's. Would this be the case, or would the "fun" negate that?

Would it simply be a better idea to spend the money on a warm amp for my desktop, and stick to my current buds for my phone? (Klipsch Image S4).

Also, I haven't really been able to find Grados discounted much on the internet, I heard that this is because Grado has a contract with all of their retailers to keep with the MSRP, is this true? Is there anywhere I can find Grados for cheaper?

And thanks to anyone who can help, you guys have always been a great help! :.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #3,044 of 29,490

Quote:
Jacobs34-

Loads of folks love their 650s, but quite a few don't.  I think it's because they lack "Wow-Factor."  They're pretty laid back/gentle/soft or something.  Every once in a while, I throw on my M-50s, crank it and say - "Holy Krap!"  But I can wear the 650s for hours without listening fatigue and they are very comfy.  Occasionally, I'll give them a tiny boost at 4K and 16K and it livens/opens them up a bit.  They have more wow factor that way.  But usually I leave it flat and after a few minutes, I simply forget they are on.  I do think one needs some pretty respectable ampage to run them well.  I'm not convinced that balanced is worth the effort and I let that sway my decision a lot.  SE offers a lot more options.

Yeah. I'm not really looking for the "Holy Crap!" experience, and during the day I have my headphones basically from 9-5 (except for breaks) so comfort is a big factor. As far as finding a suitable DAC/AMP I was thinking about getting the NuForce Icon HDP.  I've been told that they can handle the 650's no problem.  Just a thought. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #3,045 of 29,490

I really like the Phiaton MS300 which has a sort of grado like signature in that it has a nice and punchy sound. Isolation is ok, though not as good as the bigger MS400 (which is less punchy and more bass heavy). Both fold flat and come with a nice case.

I have not heard the TMA-1, but I've heard or owned the rest. Soundwise, I would say the HD25 and V6 would probably be more to your liking. These are readily available at any music store so give them a try and see how they feel and sound to you. The V6 collapses into a tiny form factor, whereas the HD25 does not but is more rugged overall. The V6 is also half the price.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Phiaton MS300 and MS400. But as always, sound is very subjective. I'm going to give Guitar Center a call for testing the V6 and the M50. I'm not sure if my store stocks the HD25-1, last time I was there I only saw the HD280pro.
Still, I always have that hate of not knowing what the TMA-1 sound like in contrast to the others which are easier to demo.

Does anyone want to chime in about the differences of the HD25-1 and the TMA-1? I have not owned a Sennheiser can since the HD414, which like Grados is very bright, forward and in your face. Much different then the Sennheiser phones I've heard today (not too many mind you). I hear the TMA-1 is not as forward, but is a lot more detailed in the mids like a Grado. I would have bought this already, but I'm trying to curb my terrible habit of impulse buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back