++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #3,046 of 29,490
Hello all! I've never been in the headphone world before so I'm more or less at a loss when I'm searching. I'm looking to get a pair of headphones for around $125. I could go somewhat higher, though, if the headphones are really worth the price. The main thing I'm looking for is comfort. I want to be able to use these on long car rides and on airplanes and such. I'm looking for closed headphones (so they don't leak sound too much and bug other people) and full sized ear cups (not on-the-ear style). Sound quality is important too, but I'm not very picky when it comes to that. I'll be listening through an ipod and the genres I usually listen to are pop punk, rock, alternative, some hardcore, and some rap too. I don't like to listen super loud, and I don't like a TON of bass. So with this, do you have any suggestions for me? Thank you!

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #3,047 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all! I've never been in the headphone world before so I'm more or less at a loss when I'm searching. I'm looking to get a pair of headphones for around $125. I could go somewhat higher, though, if the headphones are really worth the price. The main thing I'm looking for is comfort. I want to be able to use these on long car rides and on airplanes and such. I'm looking for closed headphones (so they don't leak sound too much and bug other people) and full sized ear cups (not on-the-ear style). Sound quality is important too, but I'm not very picky when it comes to that. I'll be listening through an ipod and the genres I usually listen to are pop punk, rock, alternative, some hardcore, and some rap too. I don't like to listen super loud, and I don't like a TON of bass. So with this, do you have any suggestions for me? Thank you!

ATH-M50s. Get them now.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3,048 of 29,490

Quote:

Shure 840, or 440 if you want something lighter/cheaper/less bassy.

Quote:
I've heard mixed reviews about the Phiaton MS300 and MS400. But as always, sound is very subjective. I'm going to give Guitar Center a call for testing the V6 and the M50. I'm not sure if my store stocks the HD25-1, last time I was there I only saw the HD280pro.
Still, I always have that hate of not knowing what the TMA-1 sound like in contrast to the others which are easier to demo.

Does anyone want to chime in about the differences of the HD25-1 and the TMA-1? I have not owned a Sennheiser can since the HD414, which like Grados is very bright, forward and in your face. Much different then the Sennheiser phones I've heard today (not too many mind you). I hear the TMA-1 is not as forward, but is a lot more detailed in the mids like a Grado. I would have bought this already, but I'm trying to curb my terrible habit of impulse buying.

Here's a review I did on the Phiaton family: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523079/review-comparison-phiaton-showdown-ms-300-vs-ms-400-vs-ps-500

You can always ask the store to order in an HD25. If it's something they have on their website but simply don't have it in stock at the store, there shouldn't be any obligation to buy it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3,049 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone!
I own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750 cans, and while I love them to death, I wanted to see if I would like a pair of headphones that were the complete opposite as far as sound signature. While the 750's are very precise and fast, they are also fairly cold. I began looking for more "fun" cans, something with warmer tones and a colored sound. I always knew what company I wanted to go for if I wanted a fun can, Grado. While I did spend a lot of money on my 750's, I don't think I can spend that much this time around. Around $100, with exceptions considered.

I've been looking at the SR-80i's because they fit right in that price frame, but I am always open to suggestions. I'll be using them at my computer powered by my DAC, and outdoors powered by my phone. I don't own an amp yet, so they need to sound good without an amp for now. It would also be nice if they were forgiving of bitrate, while my desktop is all FLAC, my phone isn't, and will most likely be pandora.

I do have one fear, though. I'm worried that my 750's have spoiled me a bit as far as sound goes. I have a friend that has a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros, and when I use those, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I'm worried that I may get the same feeling with the SR-80i's. Would this be the case, or would the "fun" negate that?

Would it simply be a better idea to spend the money on a warm amp for my desktop, and stick to my current buds for my phone? (Klipsch Image S4).

Also, I haven't really been able to find Grados discounted much on the internet, I heard that this is because Grado has a contract with all of their retailers to keep with the MSRP, is this true? Is there anywhere I can find Grados for cheaper?

And thanks to anyone who can help, you guys have always been a great help! :.

I found that my SR60 & SR225 Grados held their own against headphones that cost much more.  However, you should be careful if you are looking for something with warmer tones.  I find that most Grados are pretty bright on balance, with the exception of RS-1, HF-1, and from what I've read, HF-2, which have deep, capable bass and an overall warm sound.  Alternatively, you may consider Alessandro headphones, which are also supposed to have better bass emphasis.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3,051 of 29,490
Hey everyone, i had a small query. I'm getting some money back from my taxes and decided on getting some decent headphones. I'm leaning towards the HD 650 (unless someone can suggest another more balanced ones) how ever since I am using it with my iPod I'm thinking i need a portable amp to drive them from the forums I'm reading the fiio e7 would be the best bet. so would that headphone +amp combination work? or should i re-evaluate

In another question whats the best place to buy the headphones in Canada?? thank

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #3,052 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer in the world of Head-Fi and have a simple question. What are a good pair of open cans for a beginner? I use the M50s right now and love their peaceful balance of sound (yes I do use FLAC and 320 for lesser favorites, although they are sourced directly from my PC, no amp or card); they just sound so natural and have a nice tight amount of bass which is very fun and enjoyable, but now I'm looking for something new. My old 201s/205s are just not cutting it anymore after getting the M50s. I just don't want to spend too much, maybe $200 max? Exceptions can be made (i.e. $225, 230, but nothing beyond)

Genre wise I listen to soft rock, "old school" hip hop, some Alternative and various types of metal.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #3,053 of 29,490
Kind of a blind suggestion but you could try out the AKG K240. Not really sure how it compares to the M50, but it's a "warm" headphone and has very clear highs. Good for guitars and metal IMO.
Semi-open is ~ open. It's pretty much the same thing if you ask me.

OTHERWISE....my question:

SR80 vs SR80i?

Any big differences ever mentioned? Which one should I be getting? Tried search with pretty bland results...

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #3,054 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there any headphone that comes to mind based on what I'm asking for? Or are the grados my best bet?
Also, I checked out Alessandro, is their base model based off of the SR-60's, or the SR-80's?

I actually feel that Grado and Ultrasone have somewhat similar characteristics. That said, the SR60 is cheap with plenty of mod potential so you can experiment.

For a different sound, something like the Denon D1001 or Senn PX100 comes to mind.

I believe the MS1 is based off the SR80, although some have said it could be the SR125.

Quote:
Hey everyone, i had a small query. I'm getting some money back from my taxes and decided on getting some decent headphones. I'm leaning towards the HD 650 (unless someone can suggest another more balanced ones) how ever since I am using it with my iPod I'm thinking i need a portable amp to drive them from the forums I'm reading the fiio e7 would be the best bet. so would that headphone +amp combination work? or should i re-evaluate

In another question whats the best place to buy the headphones in Canada?? thank

Here's a list I've made of Canadian retailers:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548624/listing-canadian-companies-retailers

The best places to check would be the sale forums here and canuckaudiomart.com, and I would also suggest trying to find the HD580 somewhere and modding it up to the 600 (should cost maybe $150 total), because the HD600/650 have pretty terrible markup here compared to the US prices.

The e7 should be sufficient unless you like to listen at particularly loud levels. You can always plug into a home receiver and see if it makes an appreciable difference; and if so, consider upgrading down the line.

Quote:
Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer in the world of Head-Fi and have a simple question. What are a good pair of open cans for a beginner? I use the M50s right now and love their peaceful balance of sound (yes I do use FLAC and 320 for lesser favorites, although they are sourced directly from my PC, no amp or card); they just sound so natural and have a nice tight amount of bass which is very fun and enjoyable, but now I'm looking for something new. My old 201s/205s are just not cutting it anymore after getting the M50s. I just don't want to spend too much, maybe $200 max? Exceptions can be made (i.e. $225, 230, but nothing beyond)

Genre wise I listen to soft rock, "old school" hip hop, some Alternative and various types of metal.

At less than half your budget, I think the Sennheiser PX100-ii is a fantastic headphone that does most genres well. Great presentation with a surprising amount of bass for such a tiny open can.

Quote:

OTHERWISE....my question:

SR80 vs SR80i?

Any big differences ever mentioned? Which one should I be getting? Tried search with pretty bland results...

I've heard the 80 vs 80i, and MS1 vs MS1i. Couldn't tell the difference.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #3,055 of 29,490
I prefer something circamaural, and would buying that can even be an upgrade?
blink.gif
Maybe something with a bit more soundstage, clarity?

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3,057 of 29,490

Quote:
I prefer something circamaural, and would buying that can even be an upgrade?
blink.gif
Maybe something with a bit more soundstage, clarity?

Well I sold the M50's and still have the PX100 if that means anything.
rolleyes.gif

To find an open full sized can that has a punchy bass like the M50 is difficult. Maybe the Beyer DT990pro or a used DT880, or maybe an AKG K240 as mentioned earlier, but these all want an amp to sound their best.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #3,058 of 29,490
Well the punch isn't too important to me as I'm looking for open/semi cans, especially because I'll be using my M50 for hip hop anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've narrowed it down to the DT990 Pro 32, K240Mkii or the K601. Don't want to buy an amp yet, which is kind of why the AD900 crossed my mind (also because the M50 revolutionized me), although it's tag is quite large. What's your input on that?

PS Sorry for the rabid responses, can't sleep and just want to find my next destination.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #3,059 of 29,490
rcacha -

If you go with the HD650 and E7, I would encourage you to think of the E7 as a temporary solution.  Armaegis is right, you can listen/compare/decide later - but if you can't listen to the E7 before buying just go into it knowing that while it will work with the 650s, there is plenty of potential beyond that for the 650s.  Others will definitely disagree, but I don't feel like my 650s have nearly as much "life" with my E7 as with my E9, iBasso PB2,  or NAD preamp.  Even my friends P-51 feels a touch lacking to me.  It's quite good with the E9, so you could upgrade via that route for a very reasonable price.

Pitts

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #3,060 of 29,490
Hey there, not sure if this is the right place to ask for an IEM recommendation, but it seems like the best place.

Now I love my Super.Fi 5 EBs, but.. Well there are a couple of things. Most of all the size and weight of these bother me quite a bit. Also, the sound tends to not fit every genre. Now this can be helped quite a bit with EQing as I am using a Cowon S9, but still doesnt quite hit the spot.
So I am sort of on the lookout for something with a bit of a lighter, more detailed sound. It would also be great if they were somewhat smaller and lighter, probably something that wont stick that far out of my ears.
I would love to get many options as what I can get my hands on might be a bit limited here in Norway.
I also have a portable amp (Meier 3Move), so any heavily driven pair is welcome as well!

Again sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, i couldn't find any thread like this one in the portable forum.
Oh, and in advance, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back