++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 12, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #3,061 of 29,490
Hello Head'fi'ers

I need a new pair of audiophile headphone. I currently have my newbie bought Razer Orca and wanted something that could power my music probably.

My price range is wide (up to 350 bucks) but i do not want an amp, and have to run it of my laptop. (something with low ohms)

I listen to Parov Stelar, Mt Eden, Skrillex, Immediate Music and Hans Zimmer (Instrumental music), the now and then pop,  and some gaming.

Some bass, good mids and an okay soundstage?? any suggestions

I am kind of a newbie so ...

looked at some Grado SR XXXi headphones and Denon's AHD2000 ????????????

Help meee

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3,063 of 29,490

Quote:
I also looked at the ATH AD900 and ATH A900 - Took my interrest for a moment

Still unamped

AD900 and Grado are good headphones, but for the type of stuff you listen to (namely Skrillex) you'll want something with much more bass, in which case I would concentrate on the D2000s or A900s. I'm not too familiar with either of them, though.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #3,064 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey there, not sure if this is the right place to ask for an IEM recommendation, but it seems like the best place.

Now I love my Super.Fi 5 EBs, but.. Well there are a couple of things. Most of all the size and weight of these bother me quite a bit. Also, the sound tends to not fit every genre. Now this can be helped quite a bit with EQing as I am using a Cowon S9, but still doesnt quite hit the spot.
So I am sort of on the lookout for something with a bit of a lighter, more detailed sound. It would also be great if they were somewhat smaller and lighter, probably something that wont stick that far out of my ears.
I would love to get many options as what I can get my hands on might be a bit limited here in Norway.
I also have a portable amp (Meier 3Move), so any heavily driven pair is welcome as well!

Again sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, i couldn't find any thread like this one in the portable forum.
Oh, and in advance, thanks!

Well if you want a *lot* of options... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-160-iems-compared-denon-ah-c360-h2o-surge-pro-added-04-04

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #3,065 of 29,490

Quote:
AD900 and Grado are good headphones, but for the type of stuff you listen to (namely Skrillex) you'll want something with much more bass, in which case I would concentrate on the D2000s or A900s. I'm not too familiar with either of them, though.

I just want the bass to be there (like for Catch the falling sky - check youtube if needed) can the SR225i and AD900 prowide that?

And i am looking mainly for headphones with awesome mids, like i said i just want a bit bass.

What does the AD900 give me in difference with the AD700 ??? (soundstage difference, dunno?)

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #3,066 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head'fi'ers

I need a new pair of audiophile headphone. I currently have my newbie bought Razer Orca and wanted something that could power my music probably.

My price range is wide (up to 350 bucks) but i do not want an amp, and have to run it of my laptop. (something with low ohms)

I listen to Parov Stelar, Mt Eden, Skrillex, Immediate Music and Hans Zimmer (Instrumental music), the now and then pop,  and some gaming.

Some bass, good mids and an okay soundstage?? any suggestions

I am kind of a newbie so ...

looked at some Grado SR XXXi headphones and Denon's AHD2000 ????????????

Help meee

If you listen to that type of music, I would actually take a look at either the Ultrasone Pro 750 or Pro 900 if you get the chance. You can get the latter for about $350 on amazon, and the former for about $230 on the same site.
The amazing bass, tightness, and clarity would really help with the type of music you are into. You will need a good lossless source to really take advantage of those cans, however.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #3,067 of 29,490

Quote:
If you listen to that type of music, I would actually take a look at either the Ultrasone Pro 750 or Pro 900 if you get the chance. You can get the latter for about $350 on amazon, and the former for about $230 on the same site.
The amazing bass, tightness, and clarity would really help with the type of music you are into. You will need a good lossless source to really take advantage of those cans, however.

i will look into that ? how do they run unamped ... short review mids? over bassy? how will dance and instrumental music sound?

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3,068 of 29,490
The Pro 900s are fine unamped, although like most headphones they do improve with one, but an amp isn't a necessity at all. However, the 900s' mids are a bit dry so if I were you I'd go for the D2000s. And for the stuff you listen to, I don't think I'd be satisfied with 'just a bit of bass,' be it Hans Zimmer or Catch the Falling Sky or Skrillex. You'd want a decent amount of bass for those, rather than the light, punchy AD900s. As for AD900 vs AD700, the main difference is probably more in refinement than in soundstage size. To be honest, I can't really describe what 'refinement' means exactly, but I suppose the sound is 'smoother' and more coherent.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #3,069 of 29,490
Heyy Guys im looking for some headphones but i dont want to spend more than $200. I listen to a lot of ranges of music mustly pop, R&B, Rap and some Instrumentals.I Really want something good for R&B and pop for the most part. Instumental and rap is just secondary.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #3,071 of 29,490

Quote:
Well around these parts, rock and Grado/Alessandro are pretty much synonymous. Their comfort is a fuzzy issue, some people love it but a lot don't. It's well worth doing some research on them. I've tried a good multitude of them and say the breakpoints are the SR80/MS1 and HF2.

I did not really like the K701 for anything other than classical and acoustic.

I'm actually quite worried about the comfort issue, as I've never had a good experience with supra-aurals in the past. I have a feeling that coming from the wonderful pads on my senns, I won't be able to stand the grados.

I'll do some more research on them, but it's a shame that grados doesn't make comfier headphones, as sound-wise they are probably perfect for me.

Are there any circumaurals that have similar sound to the grados?

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3,072 of 29,490

Quote:
Heyy Guys im looking for some headphones but i dont want to spend more than $200. I listen to a lot of ranges of music mustly pop, R&B, Rap and some Instrumentals.I Really want something good for R&B and pop for the most part. Instumental and rap is just secondary.

My standard recommendations for pop/R&B:
Audio Technica M50
Shure 840 or 750

instrumentals:
any Audio Technica other than the M50
AKG K240

Middle of the road:
Sennheiser

Quote:
Okay then ... finally Denon AHD2000 unamped? how is that?

and if they improve much with amp, then which one should i go for? under 170 bucks

The D2000 are fine without an amp. If you do go with one, stick with lower gain but higher power.

Under $170 there are a lot of options. Here's a few brands to look into: FiiO, iBasso, Leckerton

Before you spend extra money though, plug it into a home receiver and see if you here an appreciable difference. If not, don't bother. If you do, then start doing some reading.

Quote:
I'm actually quite worried about the comfort issue, as I've never had a good experience with supra-aurals in the past. I have a feeling that coming from the wonderful pads on my senns, I won't be able to stand the grados.

I'll do some more research on them, but it's a shame that grados doesn't make comfier headphones, as sound-wise they are probably perfect for me.

Are there any circumaurals that have similar sound to the grados?

The only differentiation between the supra/circumaural with the grados is in the pads. The 60/80 come with flat pads, the 125 and up come with the ring shaped ones. The 1000 range have giant bowls. None are what I would call super comfortable, but not really uncomfortable either due to the rather light clamping pressure.

I find the full sized Ultrasones share some sonic characteristics with the grados, but that's highly dependant on the listener.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,073 of 29,490
I've been thinking about the M50's or v6's since they seem to have high regard around here. I listen to hip hop and rock mostly. I've heard that the m50s are good for bass and the v6s have good mids.

I will be using these for portable use, meaning in the car and on the bus so cord length at this time isnt a huge deal for me. I've also been thinking about Grado since they have a really good reputation. A Sr60 or a Alessandro MS1 perhaps? 
Scratch the Grado's I found that they are open

So what headphone do you recommend for hip hop and rock with good comfort? v6 or the pricier M50. Im no audiophile by the way and have yet to enter the audiophile world

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3,074 of 29,490
Do you have a music store nearby? Most stores should have both available for audition.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #3,075 of 29,490

Quote:
I've been thinking about the M50's or v6's since they seem to have high regard around here. I listen to hip hop and rock mostly. I've heard that the m50s are good for bass and the v6s have good mids.

I will be using these for portable use, meaning in the car and on the bus so cord length at this time isnt a huge deal for me. I've also been thinking about Grado since they have a really good reputation. A Sr60 or a Alessandro MS1 perhaps? 
Scratch the Grado's I found that they are open

So what headphone do you recommend for hip hop and rock with good comfort? v6 or the pricier M50. Im no audiophile by the way and have yet to enter the audiophile world

I've owned a fair number of closed headphones & the MDR-V6 were among my least favorites.  I found their treble was more harsh and mids were not nearly as smooth as, for example, SRH840, K271, DT250 & D5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back