++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #3,016 of 29,490
ok all. i am looking for a pair of headphones for under $150 that is designed for rock as 95% of my music is heavy metal. any suggestions?

any suggestions other then grado?
on the topic of grado how does the grado sr60i perform for metal?

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #3,017 of 29,490
Hello good people of Head-Fi. It's been awhile since I've lurked the halls of this forum, but it was this site that led me to my first major headphone purchase, the AT AD700's. For about a year I've been enjoying the sweet sounds that come from the 700's but lately I've been getting the itch to get a real setup going.  

My budget for the entire setup is $1,000. I have an eclectic taste in music, but I've done enough reading to know that if I want a quality setup I need to focus in on a group of genre's that can be best accompanied by a good system so for arguments sake let's say I want a setup that goes best with Blues and Classic Rock. 

I work form home and spend most of my day in my office writing, answering Emails, and listening to music. I would love to have a desktop setup as opposed to portable setup, but I'm not sure which choice is better on my budget. 

I'm coming to this forum because I have never bought an amp, DAC, or anything that would be used to enhance my music listening experience. What I loved about the AD700's was that they did not need an amplifier, and they did me quite well for my last year of college. Now that I'm out of school and looking to settle down a little I'd like to start a rig of my own. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere so going to a music shop to test out different rigs is a no go. If anyone can help me out with suggestions for a starter setup that can fit my needs I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3,018 of 29,490

Quote:
ok all. i am looking for a pair of headphones for under $150 that is designed for rock as 95% of my music is heavy metal. any suggestions?

any suggestions other then grado?
on the topic of grado how does the grado sr60i perform for metal?

I think Grados perform just fine for metal, but they're expensive in Canada. Check the Alessandro line, their cheapest at $100 which is a far better value than any Grado you'll find up here.

I would also suggest looking into Ultrasone (whatever model you can find here within budget) and maybe even the Phiaton MS 300.

Quote:
Hello good people of Head-Fi. It's been awhile since I've lurked the halls of this forum, but it was this site that led me to my first major headphone purchase, the AT AD700's. For about a year I've been enjoying the sweet sounds that come from the 700's but lately I've been getting the itch to get a real setup going.  

My budget for the entire setup is $1,000. I have an eclectic taste in music, but I've done enough reading to know that if I want a quality setup I need to focus in on a group of genre's that can be best accompanied by a good system so for arguments sake let's say I want a setup that goes best with Blues and Classic Rock. 

I work form home and spend most of my day in my office writing, answering Emails, and listening to music. I would love to have a desktop setup as opposed to portable setup, but I'm not sure which choice is better on my budget. 

I'm coming to this forum because I have never bought an amp, DAC, or anything that would be used to enhance my music listening experience. What I loved about the AD700's was that they did not need an amplifier, and they did me quite well for my last year of college. Now that I'm out of school and looking to settle down a little I'd like to start a rig of my own. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere so going to a music shop to test out different rigs is a no go. If anyone can help me out with suggestions for a starter setup that can fit my needs I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Could you set up a speaker system instead? For a home office environment, I think that would be much more enjoyable overall. Heck, you could do both a speaker and headphone rig within your budget.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #3,019 of 29,490
I am looking into some full size cans but not sure where to start.... 

I have UE TripleFi 10s - love them, love the sound
I have AT ADH-700's - used for gaming - great sound stage, nice treble, no bass at all. 

Listen to a range of music, but I tend to like my bass a little hotter than flat but I don't like when it distorts.  Mostly listen to Metal/Rock and Rap, but I'll drop in the occasional classical and jazz - like Cannonball Adderley.  

I started researching Grado's but learned that the 60/80's were a little bass thin and sounded similar to the AT's I already have so now I am back to square one. 

Any recommendations?

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #3,021 of 29,490

Quote:
I think Grados perform just fine for metal, but they're expensive in Canada. Check the Alessandro line, their cheapest at $100 which is a far better value than any Grado you'll find up here.

I would also suggest looking into Ultrasone (whatever model you can find here within budget) and maybe even the Phiaton MS 300.

Could you set up a speaker system instead? For a home office environment, I think that would be much more enjoyable overall. Heck, you could do both a speaker and headphone rig within your budget.

I suppose I could, but I'm really looking to start with a headphone setup and work my way up to speakers. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #3,022 of 29,490
Hey Jacobs34 -

There are, of course, a thousand answers for how you might drop 1K for a good HP set up.  I'm pretty new to this and if I could go back  few months I might do it differently, but for my 1K I got an iBasso DB2 (balanced portable DAC [about to ship - so I'm using a Fiio E7/E9 temporarily,]) an iBasso PB2 balanced portable amplifier, an iBasso balanced interconnect (between the two,) Sennheiser HD650's, and balanced (Senn. HD650) chord also by iBasso.

That's a fully balanced, surprisingly powerful rig with a well respected headphone for about 1K.  There aren't a thousand ways to do that.  Another plus is that it's reasonably portable.  I'm not going to wear the 650s walking around, but I can easily take this back and forth between work and home and when traveling (maybe with a more portable HP.)  I've had the PB2 and HD650's running balanced for a several weeks now and while I don't have much for reference points to offer, it sounds pretty amazing.  You can read some favorable opinions of the pairing on the PB2 thread.  It's also fun to dink around with the opamps and buffers in the PB2, as iBasso sends a variety and some members have spent a bunch of time helping others fine tune the sound they might want out of it and offer some kits to help out.

So I now do occasionally find myself wishing that I was looking at a beautiful tube amp sitting on my desk, but that may come later and I can use the DAC as a stand-alone in front of any future amp and this set up can be just for portable needs or a work rig.

Just one dude's $1,000 - Many other ways to do it.  Some days I wish I bought some Audeze LCD-2's and worried about how to afford an amp later.  Other days I wish I didn't find this website.  Actually, you still have a chance - RUN NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #3,023 of 29,490
I am looking for some good quality headphones for music from ipod nano 16gb, macbook pro 13inch and an asus laptop.

my price range is 100-$125.

looking for headphones for many types of music, mostly for rap/hip-hop, rock, reggae and some techno dubstep electronica music.

thanks for your help, ive been looking on these forums and reading many reviews but cant decide which is good for what im looking for.

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #3,024 of 29,490
Probably someone can help me too :) 

I recently destroyed my Grados thus I am on a backup phone right now (AKG k530). I really like this kind of sound but I don't want to purchase another Grado as I feel them lacking comofort by a lot. I am wearing the phones a lot through the day. It does not matter whether they are open or closed ones. It does not matter to me if my surrounding hears what I do. 

The new headphone should accomplish following things. 
under 150$
comfortable !!!
Good build quality. 
AKG/Grado-like sound
Music I listen to: Rock, Alternative, some Classic

I would rather get some better build quality and comfortable headphone and neglect the sound part, as I can fiddle around the soundstage a bit anyway.

I already had a look at the Sennheiser HD555, they seem decent to me. I just did not have the chance to see them or listen to them. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #3,025 of 29,490

Quote:

The first few pages of this thread have a great discussion on building quality rigs within a reasonable budget.

Many recommended HD600 with a compatible amp & inexpensive dac, which could be had for ~$600.  
I would recommend caution with such an expensive purchase- maybe buying a less expensive rig with an amp & dac that would work with a lot of headphones and then buying/selling a few headphones to find your preferred signature (buying used you only lose a little more than the price of shipping).  Rankings like these from people who've heard everything could also help.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #3,026 of 29,490

For purely gaming and gaming related sounds ( footsteps etc ) , between the two closed ones - ATH A700 and PC350, which one would you recommend? Any other closed cans? can't be bass heavy and must have good soundstage.

Thank you

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #3,027 of 29,490

Quote:
Can anybody else comment on the soundstage of the FA-011 headphones? I realize that they are apparently from Russia and not many folks have them yet, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I read through LLF's review (I believe that is the user's name) and he made them sound like awesome headphones (or "cans"...isn't that the term you guys use?). He raved about their gaming prowess, but didn't get into too many details about the ability to distinctly hear sounds "behind" you (super helpful for gaming with Call of Duty, Dead Space, etc. when you want to know if the baddies are creeping behind!).

I'm honestly having a lot of trouble finding quality headphones for my purpose (late night Blu-Ray watching and gaming). I'd like to stay below $150, and these Fischer Audio FA-011's hit the mark. At first I thought I'd actually NEED 5.1 headphones, but it sounds like they are more of a gimmick and "cans" with a very wide sound-stage will do the job just fine.

Also, I'd be plugging whatever I buy directly into the front of my Yamaha RX-V467 receiver w/Silent Sound. I've been told that Silent Sound is basically Yamaha's mixamp, so I wouldn't need an external mixamp. Correct? I realize that some of these questions might be trivial, but I'm very new to "quality sound", so I appreciate your patience with me. Thanks!

-Cody

Quoted because I didn't get any responses.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #3,028 of 29,490
Apr 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #3,029 of 29,490
Hi everybody
I'd like to listen music on my laptop while I'm using it, but I really can't decide with all of these good headphones available on the web.
Here are the criteria:
1: over-the-ear or big on-ear
2: open or closed? I don't know the difference. But I don't care about sound leakage. so you choose for me here ^_^
3: I mainly listen to rock, hard rock, heavy metal, but also quieter music like Simon & Garfunkel
4: i like headphones with a "full" and warm sound: good amount of bass and treble, and not mid-scooped
5: foldable. I travel a lot and this is essential.
6: no amp needed for the headphones to sound good. as I said before, I travel a lot.
7: good design. I think that Grados look too much basic, bare. (and monster beats look crap.) I like a lot how Skullcandy Aviator and Sennheiser Adidas HD25 look
8: price range: max 100 € (yes I live in europe) but I can go up to 150 € (which is around 200 $)

Thanks in advance !!

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3,030 of 29,490
Ok.. look guys.. I need some help here because, I am tired of running around in circles..

I've been trying to find a set that would suit me for a while now.

Went to guitar center.. they were useless.

I plan on playing games with the headset I get and listening to music with no particular priority level.

I listen to Disturbed, Rammstein, A7X, Apocalyptica, and even Korpiklaani. 

I want a headset that has good sound stage, positional accuracy, and isn't going to suck when it comes time to play some metal.

Are sennheiser 598's the way to go? or something else?

Need to total 200$ or less.

I prefer to not have multiple headsets as I have a small desk/limited room.

I don't have an amp and later on may get some sort of external sound card.

Please, make all the suggestions you want but, if you shoot down a suggestion say why..

And try to not shoot down suggestions for  because it fails to meet X criteria if it meets Y criteria. I want to meet as many criteria as possible.. but, All the advice I've gotten has me going in circles because, people pick  out a single criteria to meet and thats it.. then argue over whether or not it even meets that criteria.

I found senns HD 598 for 180.. May jump on that soon but, want some help making decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back