++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2,821 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm new here.  I'm looking to get my first 'real' pair of headphones, I've always used the generic Apple ones and Skull Candy's (haha).  I listen to mainly hip-hop/rap,  I'm also in highschool so most kids have the Solo/Studio Beats (which I know you're paying for the name, I haven't heard good things about them on this forum).  But I do like the looks of them.  Anyway what would you guys recommend?  I'm not sure if I should get IEM's or over ear headphones.  I obviously like my bass because I listen to a lot of hip-hop, but I don't want to look like a poser walking around school with huge headphones on.  I'm also on a pretty tight budget (> 100).  I will also most likely be shopping at Best Buy, unless I can get them quickly online because I want them for spring break.

Also.. I've looked at the Bose IE2's and Klipsch S4's online and they got pretty good reviews, but people on here don't seem to like bose?

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2,822 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm new here.  I'm looking to get my first 'real' pair of headphones, I've always used the generic Apple ones and Skull Candy's (haha).  I listen to mainly hip-hop/rap,  I'm also in highschool so most kids have the Solo/Studio Beats (which I know you're paying for the name, I haven't heard good things about them on this forum).  But I do like the looks of them.  Anyway what would you guys recommend?  I'm not sure if I should get IEM's or over ear headphones.  I obviously like my bass because I listen to a lot of hip-hop, but I don't want to look like a poser walking around school with huge headphones on.  I'm also on a pretty tight budget (> 100).  I will also most likely be shopping at Best Buy, unless I can get them quickly online because I want them for spring break.

Also.. I've looked at the Bose IE2's and Klipsch S4's online and they got pretty good reviews, but people on here don't seem to like bose?

Your budget is >100? Ultrasone Edition 8s then.

Okay, joking aside, since you're going to use them in a noisy high school, I would recommend IEMs because they isolate more noise than headphones. To be honest, Best Buy has a lackluster selection of headphones, but if you can buy online I would recommend the Hippo VBs and JAYS a-Jays three, both of which have strong bass. You can get the Hippo VBs here and the a-Jays here.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2,823 of 29,490

Quote:

If you are worried about how you look maybe better to go for iems.  The Brainwavz/Visang suppose to be bassy.

Take a look at joker's thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-160-iems-compared-denon-ah-c360-h2o-surge-pro-added-04-04

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #2,824 of 29,490
hello,I am new here and also new to the headphone world.

I wanted of course to buy the dre beats at first but upon reading many of the threads that discuss the beats I have decided to invest my money in others.

So I was thinking about getting the sennheiser hd 25-1 II...heard that they are pretty good but have nowhere I can go and "test drive them".Thought they would do nicely as my first pair of headphones..(I normally use the IEM)

So what do guys think,should I get these or others

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #2,826 of 29,490
So i'm thinking about buying the phiaton ms400's. i mostly listen to them off of my iPhone and macbook, so something that won't need an amp or anything. So is this a good choice? If not, do you have any better suggestions?

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #2,828 of 29,490

Quote:
Your budget is >100? Ultrasone Edition 8s then.

Okay, joking aside, since you're going to use them in a noisy high school, I would recommend IEMs because they isolate more noise than headphones. To be honest, Best Buy has a lackluster selection of headphones, but if you can buy online I would recommend the Hippo VBs and JAYS a-Jays three, both of which have strong bass. You can get the Hippo VBs here and the a-Jays here.

Quote:
If you are worried about how you look maybe better to go for iems.  The Brainwavz/Visang suppose to be bassy.

Take a look at joker's thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-160-iems-compared-denon-ah-c360-h2o-surge-pro-added-04-04

Thanks guys I'll check those out.  And yes I'll be using them in a noisy school, but I'd definitely take sound quality over noise reduction.

And yeah haha.. one day I'll get those ultrasones.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2,829 of 29,490

The HD-25s seem to be a favorite around here and are certainly a set I have been wanting to try.

Not sure what your price range is, but the HD 448 may be another headphone worth looking at.  With the large quantity of bass lovers around here it tends to get overlooked.  Impressions can be found in my sig (link).

I have also tried the Senn PX 360 which isolated extremely well and definitely had some low end thump, if you happen to be one of those bass lovers.  My impressions can be found in my sig as well.  Pretty "excited" sound for a Sennheiser.

Just educating you of the options for which I have experience.
Quote:
hello,I am new here and also new to the headphone world.

I wanted of course to buy the dre beats at first but upon reading many of the threads that discuss the beats I have decided to invest my money in others.

So I was thinking about getting the sennheiser hd 25-1 II...heard that they are pretty good but have nowhere I can go and "test drive them".Thought they would do nicely as my first pair of headphones..(I normally use the IEM)

So what do guys think,should I get these or others

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,830 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD-25s seem to be a favorite around here and are certainly a set I have been wanting to try.

Not sure what your price range is, but the HD 448 may be another headphone worth looking at.  With the large quantity of bass lovers around here it tends to get overlooked.  Impressions can be found in my sig (link).

I have also tried the Senn PX 360 which isolated extremely well and definitely had some low end thump, if you happen to be one of those bass lovers.  My impressions can be found in my sig as well.  Pretty "excited" sound for a Sennheiser.

Just educating you of the options for which I have experience.

I cant understand why, it has bass and loads of it. I went from the XB700 to the HD448 and was in heaven.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2,831 of 29,490
hi everyone!!
so after doing a couple weeks worth of research on here, i have to say that i'm thoroughly confused as to which headphones to buy. :frowning2:
originally, i wanted to buy the M50s, but i don't like the idea of having a coiled wire, and the straight wire is too long. i would also say they are too bulky. i am looking to buy my first pair of, for lack of better word, 'real headphones' because the first pair i bought on a whim were the beats solo cuz i thought they were cute.... (regretting it now!) which led me to sell those and do some soul searching on here! i thought about getting the xb700s, but after seeing someone at school with them, i decided that they are not for public use.... i would love to get them but they are just so HUGE!

so i was wondering if anyone knows of any headphones that are similar in size to the HD 25-1 II, but has the sound quality/price range of HFI580s? I'm looking to spend <150, good bass, closed cans, portable, circumaural (i know i cant expect to find headphones that arent bulky if i want circumaural... but i can only hope!), and comfortable.

music: electro, house, dubstep, classical, pop, rock, alternative, indie, old school rap, everything but country! 
any help is appreciated..... i need to buy headphones asap but i'm too noob to pick out something for myself! thanks everyone :)

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #2,832 of 29,490

Quote:
I cant understand why, it has bass and loads of it. I went from the XB700 to the HD448 and was in heaven.

THANK YOU!

It has low end.  Finally, I don't think I'm as crazy... or there are two of us.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #2,833 of 29,490

Quote:
hi everyone!!
so after doing a couple weeks worth of research on here, i have to say that i'm thoroughly confused as to which headphones to buy. :frowning2:
originally, i wanted to buy the M50s, but i don't like the idea of having a coiled wire, and the straight wire is too long. i would also say they are too bulky. i am looking to buy my first pair of, for lack of better word, 'real headphones' because the first pair i bought on a whim were the beats solo cuz i thought they were cute.... (regretting it now!) which led me to sell those and do some soul searching on here! i thought about getting the xb700s, but after seeing someone at school with them, i decided that they are not for public use.... i would love to get them but they are just so HUGE!

so i was wondering if anyone knows of any headphones that are similar in size to the HD 25-1 II, but has the sound quality/price range of HFI580s? I'm looking to spend <150, good bass, closed cans, portable, circumaural (i know i cant expect to find headphones that arent bulky if i want circumaural... but i can only hope!), and comfortable.

music: electro, house, dubstep, classical, pop, rock, alternative, indie, old school rap, everything but country! 
any help is appreciated..... i need to buy headphones asap but i'm too noob to pick out something for myself! thanks everyone :)

M50s. lol. I'm honestly not sure what else ot suggest in the price range. Phiaton 400, but those are out of your price range by a bit. Maybe Ultrasone DJ1. That might fit your bill.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #2,834 of 29,490
Hello everybody! I'm looking for a set of headphones that will: A) Plug into the front of my Yamaha RX-V467 receiver; B) Have 5.1 surround; C) Work with my Xbox360 and PS3 and; D) Cost less than $200. I have previously owned Tritton 5.1 gaming headphones...and I could definitely tell a difference between them and stereo gaming headphones. The problem is that with my new enclosed A/V rack, switching gaming headphones from my Xbox (for gaming) to my PS3 (for Blu-Ray watching) is a real pain. I'd really just like something I can plug into my Yamaha receiver to use for anything (if this is possible). I'm an audio noob, so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. Can this be done? I typically hear that 5.1 headphones are a "gimmick", but I've experienced solid (by my standards) 5.1 surround with a pair of $120 gaming headphones in the past. I don't really care about 5.1 for movies...but for gaming it's really nice (IE: you can hear the creatures behind you while playing Dead Space).

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #2,835 of 29,490
Hello!  

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that translate well to my KRK Rokit Powered 8 monitors.

I already own the ATH M-50's and they sound great!  But they just don't translate very well over to my RP8's.  Does anyone suggest a pair of headphones that DO sound similar to the RP8's?  

Also - KRK has a sort-of-new headphone... Has anyone tried this?  Would this be my best bet as far as sounding the same as the monitors?

Kindest regards,
-bliss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back