++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 4, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,731 of 29,490
If you don't need the portability, then yeah I wouldn't bother with the e7. I would maybe consider a the HotAudio DacDestroyer which you can snag off his ebay page for something like $40.

As for whether the AD1000 is worth the cost over the AD700, that's entirely up to your wallet and how you feel about diminishing returns. My threshhold for diminishing returns scales surprisingly close to my mortgage payments.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #2,732 of 29,490
Hey Guys, been a lurker for awhile and just recently been lucky enough to now be able to feed my inner headphile. I have had my HD650's for about 2 years now and really enjoy listening with them. I want to widen my headphone collection and try to get the best headphones that fit my following needs. (budget each pair between 250-700)

1. Clinical, cold headphones for critical listening (AKG 701?)
2. Rock oriented headphones (Grado 325is?)
3. Headphone for bass heavy music like electonica/dubstep/trance (Denon's?)
4. Any suggestions for headphones that should be in a well rounded collection.

Also I need a DAC/AMP in the $700 range maybe a little more that would be able to work with a variety of headphones well. Probably something that is very neutral. Thanks.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #2,733 of 29,490
Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread. I created a new thread asking for suggestions, but apparently should have just added onto the end of this thread. Here it is:

I've got about $350-$400 I can spend on a used set of closed headphones, which I figure should mean $450-$500 new, yes? I'll be using them at work almost exclusively, in a open/cubicle environment (where people have complained about my open phones in the past). I listen to most everything, so I'm looking for a versatile performer but def also want capable, tight bass. Classical, opera, hip pop, rock, metal, jazz, blues, etc.

I've had some stock Denon D2000's, and wasn't a fan. Despite the lack of clamping force, they still weren't all that comfortable and I didn't like their sound signature that much. Just felt a bit sloppy. I'm sure some will recommend Denon D5000, and while I'm not adverse to the idea if they are what's best in my price range, I'm initially disposed against them based on my impressions of the D2000's. I also have some Aiaiai TMA-1's that are fine for what they are (portables), but being on-ear is much less comfortable than circumaural, and it turns out I don't really need the portability, either.

I have some IEMs that I really like (Earsonic SM3), but at my job I have people pop-by regularly, so taking them the IEMs in and out frequently gets tiresome. I still use them when it looks like I'll have an hour or so un-interrupted, but I generally can't count on it.

So, what do you recommend in a good closed set? I want comfort for 8-10 hour (non-continuous) wearing, glorious sound, and not too delicate. My audio chain is: flac -> asio4all -> foobar2000 -> USB -> Gamma 1 DAC -> M^3 amp -> headphones

Thank you. :)

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2,734 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Guys, been a lurker for awhile and just recently been lucky enough to now be able to feed my inner headphile. I have had my HD650's for about 2 years now and really enjoy listening with them. I want to widen my headphone collection and try to get the best headphones that fit my following needs. (budget each pair between 250-700)

Also I need a DAC/AMP in the $700 range maybe a little more that would be able to work with a variety of headphones well. Probably something that is very neutral. Thanks.

1) Beyerdynamic DT48 - cuts clean through your music like a surgeon's scalpel, you will love the music and hate the production engineer
2) Grado or Ultrasone are my usual recommendations. The RS1 or Pro900 would be top of the line (not counting the $1k+ cans from Ultrasone). There's also the Magnum upgrade for the 325 to consider.
3) Denon D5000 with jmoney leather earpad upgrade, or maybe the upcoming Sony XB1000
4) a vintage AKG K240 Sextett, Audio Technica AD2000, something by Phiaton just because I really like their stuff

I'll leave someone else to tackle the dac/amp question.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread. I created a new thread asking for suggestions, but apparently should have just added onto the end of this thread. Here it is:

I've got about $350-$400 I can spend on a used set of closed headphones, which I figure should mean $450-$500 new, yes? I'll be using them at work almost exclusively, in a open/cubicle environment (where people have complained about my open phones in the past). I listen to most everything, so I'm looking for a versatile performer but def also want capable, tight bass. Classical, opera, hip pop, rock, metal, jazz, blues, etc.

I've had some stock Denon D2000's, and wasn't a fan. Despite the lack of clamping force, they still weren't all that comfortable and I didn't like their sound signature that much. Just felt a bit sloppy. I'm sure some will recommend Denon D5000, and while I'm not adverse to the idea if they are what's best in my price range, I'm initially disposed against them based on my impressions of the D2000's. I also have some Aiaiai TMA-1's that are fine for what they are (portables), but being on-ear is much less comfortable than circumaural, and it turns out I don't really need the portability, either.

I have some IEMs that I really like (Earsonic SM3), but at my job I have people pop-by regularly, so taking them the IEMs in and out frequently gets tiresome. I still use them when it looks like I'll have an hour or so un-interrupted, but I generally can't count on it.

So, what do you recommend in a good closed set? I want comfort for 8-10 hour (non-continuous) wearing, glorious sound, and not too delicate. My audio chain is: flac -> asio4all -> foobar2000 -> USB -> Gamma 1 DAC -> M^3 amp -> headphones

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Phiaton PS 500 is one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn and aren't all that expensive.

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #2,735 of 29,490

Thanks for the reply Armaegis, I've almost decided. I'm trying to make the final decision after calling a few different shops for prices. These are the best prices I could find:

Sennheiser HD280 pro  - $199AU

Shure SHR440              - $149AU

Sony MDR-7506            - $159AU

Roland RH-200              - $170AU

Which would you say is the best deal overall?

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #2,736 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Armaegis, I've almost decided. I'm trying to make the final decision after calling a few different shops for prices. These are the best prices I could find:

Sennheiser HD280 pro  - $199AU
Shure SHR440              - $149AU
Sony MDR-7506            - $159AU
Roland RH-200              - $170AU

Which would you say is the best deal overall?

Compared to US prices, the HD280 is nearly double in price, while the 440 and V6 are "only" about 60% higher. I suppose on a technicality those two would be the better deail.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #2,737 of 29,490
Hi there I am looking for a closed can for electronic music production around 150 UK pounds some options I have seen are k240, k271, a700 and m50. I mainly produce drum and bass and want something fairly analytical

Am I heading in the right direction with those cans? which ones would you lean towards? would appreciate some advice as I am a bit lost cheers dudes

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #2,738 of 29,490
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how the Marshall Major headphones compare to CAL - heard a lot about CAL on these threads but like the look of the Marshall Major's. 

I listen to a lot of dubstep so good bass would be great.

Please help.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #2,739 of 29,490

Quote:

With those headphones I'd be looking at the Audio-GD NFB-10 balanced amp/dac combo. Most in the dedicated thread seem to have gone with the slightly dearer ES version, but there are some interesting posts regarding the dual WM8741 version in the last few pages.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2,740 of 29,490
Quote:

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
The Phiaton PS 500 is one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn and aren't all that expensive.

The Beyerdynamic DT770s are pretty comfy too and keep in all the sound at anything less than ear bleeding volumes.  Even more with the gel pads that Beyer sells separately.

I've had the D5000s and wasn't that impressed with them for the price.  The treble was a smoother than the D2000s with less sibilance and they look nicer, but that's pretty much it.  Like the D2000s, the D5000s leak a little sound as well since they aren't completely sealed.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #2,741 of 29,490
I am in market for a closed headphone to go along with hm601. I am thinking either to go with ATH-ESW9A or the HD25 II with the 650 cable. What do you guys think? NMy budget is $400 maximum. I want an all rounder. I already own ER4 and TF10 so i am in market for the close headphones (closed as I hate it when I hear other people music I dont wnat my music to leak.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #2,742 of 29,490
well, I'm currently speechless and so thought that I'd type out exactly how I feel, as I've just been completely and utterly blown away!
My Ultrasone PRO 2500's arrived today, and wow. wow. wow. wow. wow.

Now let me make this clear I'm no audiophile, and (you're going to laugh) I upgraded, I got these as my first headphones, and so the highest end earphones I've ever owned are a pair of £40 Sennheiser CX 400 II's. Although making such a big step up does have it's advantages, and that is that when you put on some decent headphones, you get literally blown away.

These apparently need 200 hours or more of burn in... And I'm using these un-amped straight into my computer, and I cannot believe the clarity and soundstage. It's ridiculously good.
What happens if I try some £1000 headphones that have been burnt in? Well' i'd love to see how they can be an improvement to what I'm currently hearing, I have no idea how they'd justify costing 5 times these... They surely can't sound 5 times as good.

So yeah, I have no idea if anyone cares but I'm a very happy customer and would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on here who has helped me, this has got to be the most informative forum I've ever signed up to. Saying that, anyone who can get me to spend £250+ based on their opinion alone must be doing something right, so thank you all!

P.S. I said how I was skeptical about Simply Electronics (the website I ordered from) as they were so cheap and had bad reviews, but honestly, and I admit I may have got lucky, but based on my experience alone I'd recommend them to everyone and the service was terrific, extremely polite and helpful email replies, very fast replies too, and my order shipped in just over a week, they kept me updated at every step of the way.

Amazing. Now to get my Fiio E7 and E9 and see how much of an improvement that will be! I have no idea how it will improve what I'm experiencing right now...

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2,743 of 29,490

Quote:
I am in market for a closed headphone to go along with hm601. I am thinking either to go with ATH-ESW9A or the HD25 II with the 650 cable. What do you guys think? NMy budget is $400 maximum. I want an all rounder. I already own ER4 and TF10 so i am in market for the close headphones (closed as I hate it when I hear other people music I dont wnat my music to leak.

HD 25-1 II

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #2,744 of 29,490
Hi,

I currently own a pair of Grado Sr-80is.  I'm looking to upgrade my listening situation a bit, and I've come to a bit of a dilemma.  Do I buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s even though I can't afford to buy a headphone amp or a dac at this time, or do I go with Grado Sr-325is, a headphone that I understand is less needy of amplification?  Will the unamped HD600s be an improvement over my SR-80s?  Of course I plan to eventually buy an amp and dac, but it would likely be a while before I could afford them.  An alternative answer that I've been considering is to buy Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs for portable/metro use.

What do you all think?

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #2,745 of 29,490

Quote:
well, I'm currently speechless and so thought that I'd type out exactly how I feel, as I've just been completely and utterly blown away!
My Ultrasone PRO 2500's arrived today, and wow. wow. wow. wow. wow.

Now let me make this clear I'm no audiophile, and (you're going to laugh) I upgraded, I got these as my first headphones, and so the highest end earphones I've ever owned are a pair of £40 Sennheiser CX 400 II's. Although making such a big step up does have it's advantages, and that is that when you put on some decent headphones, you get literally blown away.

These apparently need 200 hours or more of burn in... And I'm using these un-amped straight into my computer, and I cannot believe the clarity and soundstage. It's ridiculously good.
What happens if I try some £1000 headphones that have been burnt in? Well' i'd love to see how they can be an improvement to what I'm currently hearing, I have no idea how they'd justify costing 5 times these... They surely can't sound 5 times as good.

So yeah, I have no idea if anyone cares but I'm a very happy customer and would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on here who has helped me, this has got to be the most informative forum I've ever signed up to. Saying that, anyone who can get me to spend £250+ based on their opinion alone must be doing something right, so thank you all!

P.S. I said how I was skeptical about Simply Electronics (the website I ordered from) as they were so cheap and had bad reviews, but honestly, and I admit I may have got lucky, but based on my experience alone I'd recommend them to everyone and the service was terrific, extremely polite and helpful email replies, very fast replies too, and my order shipped in just over a week, they kept me updated at every step of the way.

Amazing. Now to get my Fiio E7 and E9 and see how much of an improvement that will be! I have no idea how it will improve what I'm experiencing right now...

Yeah, what I like about the Ultrasone is the S-Logic.  I listen to my music quite loud and absolutely no fatigue after a long session.  Also, am in a similar situation concerning amps/dac.  I am so satisfied with my headphone now I can't imagine how much better it can get since it is already so good.  Not sure whether I should buy the amp/dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back