++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 27, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,506 of 29,490

Quote:
Woops, didn't even see this thread until today and I made a mess of the thread I made :p. Anyways, this past month I've been tossing around the idea of getting a new pair of headphones. My Allen and Heath Xone XD-53 were the first pair of headphones that I actually spent real money on when I finally got fed up with all the cheap ones breaking. I've had them for about two years and while I love them to death I feel the need to upgrade.

I wouldn't say I need headphones that are bass heavy but they do need to have a rich bass that isn't overpowering. Nothing is more aggravating then having all the detail washed out of a song because all you can hear IS bass. A lot of what I listen to is similar to Immediate Music's Fahrenheit or E.S. Posthumus' Unstoppable, fast paced actiony, cinematic styled music.These headphones would be strictly for at home use so portability isn't an issue for me and I will not be using these to play games with. 

I'd probably be happy with any of these but I'd like the opinion of much more experienced audiophiles to help me decide.

My Budget: $350 but is flexible

My list:
Beyer Dynamic DT 880 32 OHM
Beyer Dynamic DT 990 32 OHM
AKG K 701/702
Denon AHD2000

I did find a used pair of AHD2000 for $250 and a pair of mint DT 880 with 1000+ hours on them for $165. I'm leaning towards the used pair of DT 800 because of the price and they come with the JDS Labs Bass Boost cMoy but my concern is that it's the 600 OHM model and I listen primarily on my Ipod touch (I know only what I've read about using amps so no real experience with them). If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears :D

The DT880 sounds like a great deal. I'm not familiar with that amp in particular, but the cMoy is among the lower-end amps. It should make the cans loud enough, but it won't give you 100% of their potential.

You can cross off the k701/702; it's extremely lean on bass.

The DT990 is really bass-heavy for an audiophile can, so you'd probably like the 880 better. What I would pick from:

Sennheiser HD600 + amp
DT880
AHD200
Grado SR225

The HD600 can be had for <$250 if you look around enough.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,507 of 29,490

Quote:
Cheers.  Going to read up the AD700 now.  How do they compare to say the MS1 for femal vocals?  Come to think of it the would the Grado sound too similar to Ultrasone?

Both are mid-centric. The AD700 is airier and somewhat light feeling, while the MS1 is is a bit more brash. Sort of like comparing woodwinds to brass instruments (an odd analogy, but it was the first thing that came to mind).

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,508 of 29,490

Quote:
I made a new thread, but I didn't see this page.

Can someone tell me the differences between the Able Planet NC1000CHA and Able Planet NC1100B?????  I couldn't see any differences.

Can anyone help me with this decision???
Unless there is a more comfortable, better sound quality closed headphone for a 100 dollar budget.  Noise Cancellation is optional.

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #2,509 of 29,490
I don't think too many people here have heard Able Planet heaphones. Is there a reason you're stuck on this brand?

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2,510 of 29,490
Yeah it is the first time I have heard Able Planet myself and I have been browsing Head-Fi for a quite bit over this last few weeks.  So I guess it can't be any good if it haven't been mentioned here.

For $100, have you looked at the links on the first post of this thread?

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,511 of 29,490
I have not so I guess i'll check those out....but from reviews on amazon and cnet, people are comparing the able planets to bose quietcomfort 2s.  A friend of mine also has a lower end model of the able planets and says they're on par with his bose headphones.  i tried those on and they were extremely comfortable in my opinion....with leather cushions and a leather pad on the headband.

anyway, the nc1000cha and nc1100b models retail for 300-350 a piece, but I have found a discount for them and figured they'd be worth trying out.

But hey, if anyone can strongly recommend another pair (noise cancellation is optional, but preferred), I'd be happy to check those out.  

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2,512 of 29,490

Quote:
The K701 will not be satisfactory to youro ears. I would say the DT880 is your best value, especially with the amp. Go with that and be happy.

x2, I've owned all of them except the 990 and I feel the DT880 is the best out of the crop

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,513 of 29,490
Hey guys, i'm looking for new headphones, i like my akg k702's but i wish they had a touch more bass.

I was thinking one of: Sennheiser HD800, Audio Technica ATH W5000, Audeze LCD-2, Denon D7000, Ultrasone Edition 8.

My amp is  Burson HA-160D 

( i listen to House, Hip-Hop, Drum & Bass, Downtempo and occasionally some jazz)

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #2,514 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I currently have HD 212Pro headphones, they are old and not that great. I like the comfort of Sennheiser, and I see HD595 seems like a good deal but I haven't read many outstanding reviews.

I will be powering the headphone with a Hifiman usb amp/dac combo. I like to listen to all music, generally 320kbsmp3 or better. What headphone would be a great upgrade without breaking the bank? I have to buy through amazon, and I see Hd595/600/650 all available.

Any suggestions? I actually like my 212s, this coming from someone who hasn't heard a real headphone before, so not much there....

I have yet to use my hifiman amp/dac combo yet because my 212s cable have been chewed up by a rabbit, which is also why id rather buy a new can all together than purchase a cord for a bad headphone. Thanks everyone

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #2,515 of 29,490

Quote:
I have not so I guess i'll check those out....but from reviews on amazon and cnet, people are comparing the able planets to bose quietcomfort 2s.  A friend of mine also has a lower end model of the able planets and says they're on par with his bose headphones.  i tried those on and they were extremely comfortable in my opinion....with leather cushions and a leather pad on the headband.

anyway, the nc1000cha and nc1100b models retail for 300-350 a piece, but I have found a discount for them and figured they'd be worth trying out.

But hey, if anyone can strongly recommend another pair (noise cancellation is optional, but preferred), I'd be happy to check those out.  

I think noise cancellation is not something rated on this site 'cos suppose to make music suck or something.  Don't quote me on it tho.  I don't see any noise cancelling headphone getting rated much 'ere.  But yeah, read the threads on the first post as they do pretty much give you a lot of info you need in choosing.  Maybe the Audio Technica ATH-M50 gets recommended a lot for $100.  Think they have gone up in price tho to $115.  Might still be able to get it if you look around.

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2,516 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone. I currently have HD 212Pro headphones, they are old and not that great. I like the comfort of Sennheiser, and I see HD595 seems like a good deal but I haven't read many outstanding reviews.

I will be powering the headphone with a Hifiman usb amp/dac combo. I like to listen to all music, generally 320kbsmp3 or better. What headphone would be a great upgrade without breaking the bank? I have to buy through amazon, and I see Hd595/600/650 all available.

Any suggestions? I actually like my 212s, this coming from someone who hasn't heard a real headphone before, so not much there....

I have yet to use my hifiman amp/dac combo yet because my 212s cable have been chewed up by a rabbit, which is also why id rather buy a new can all together than purchase a cord for a bad headphone. Thanks everyone

If you like the Sennheiser, the cheaper option is the HD555.  The HD555 is exactly the same as the HD595 except with a extra piece of foam inside.  If you look around on this site, there is a link of a youtube clip to show you how to take the piece of foam out.  Like a 30 second job or something.

If price is no object, I think the HD650 is generally considered to be the best model but do need an amp to make it sound good.  You might also want to look at the newer range HD558 and HD598 which is considered a step up from HD555.  Plenty of reviews on this site to make a comparison between the models and some reviews here:

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/
http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #2,517 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, i'm looking for new headphones, i like my akg k702's but i wish they had a touch more bass.

I was thinking one of: Sennheiser HD800, Audio Technica ATH W5000, Audeze LCD-2, Denon D7000, Ultrasone Edition 8.

My amp is  Burson HA-160D 

( i listen to House, Hip-Hop, Drum & Bass, Downtempo and occasionally some jazz)

I own the D7000 and Ultrasone Edition 8- and find the former unbalanced: crazy bass, strong treble, both often combine to overshadow mids in music with a lot of instrumentation.  With music with a lot of bass impact I am literally afraid to use D7000.  The Ultrasones have a much better tonal balance and are superior imo but are crazy expensive, and not much better than open headphones that cost 1/2 as much (RS-1, HD600).  So unless you absolutely need closed headphones, don't get those.  I'm going to do something taboo and recommend the open headphones on your list not having heard them.  But don't take if from me- check out D. Mahler's review of his 20 favorite headphones on the OP of this thread, he has heard the open headphones on your list and prefers them.  

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2,519 of 29,490

Quote:
So I have this of Bose, and I was thinking about grabbing the ATH-M50's.  I'm just wondering if that's good upgrade, or more of a side step.  I listen to mostly orchestra, but with a little heavy metal and electric thrown into the mix.  

I'll be ok for metal and electric, but not so great for orchestra.

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2,520 of 29,490

Quote:

I think noise cancellation is not something rated on this site 'cos suppose to make music suck or something.  Don't quote me on it tho.  I don't see any noise cancelling headphone getting rated much 'ere.

Yeah, it messes up timbre. Basically just distorts the sound, although some are better than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back