++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,536 of 29,490
the AD2000 seem very very interesting indeed. no idea about the sonys but the ones I've heard were OK I guess.

I did just read a review about them and it seems they actually clamp a lot, are you sure they're not doing this?

I don't really know if the AD2000 are the right for me after these reviews, but they do look very nice...

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2,537 of 29,490
I was also thinking AD2000 when I read your post.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,538 of 29,490
So I'm interested in getting a pair or 2 of headphones. I am comming from a pair of sennheiser px100's. they worn down to the bone and hurt to wear now. I am looking for a mobile and a stay at home pair of headphones. I am really interested in AKG's and bayerdynamics, so I am really biased in this nature. I liked my px100's but they hurt like hell after a while and I dont want the same thing. I dont really like any of sennheiser's headphones cept their HD800 but that's way off my charts.
I am really interested in AKG's K450 and beyer's T50p for mobile headphones right now
However, I dont know if a closed phone sound is any good. I heard that closed back headphones tend to distort the sound quality a bit. I also owned a pair of PX200's and I know this for a fact. the PX200's were utter crap.
For stay at home headphones, I am really interested in AKG's offering. I like the K601, K701, K702 and basically their entire 200's line up (studio included). I realize that there are differences (the 240's are open and 270's are closed) and there are fixed and removable cables, etc. dont really care over removable or non removable cables. not gonna balance my headphones anytime anyway. So basically I am between the 601, 701, and 702 and any 240's model cause they are all open.
I am planning to use my laptop as a main audio signal (envy 14) but I may get or build an amp if needed/interested. I listen to all kinds of music, basically every genre,  with rap and country played the least, but not never. I dont like over bassy headphones though. I had a pair of creative sigma hd's and they were crap when it came to sound quality. all they did right was pump bass, but even then it was too much and ruined basically all the elevator music I had.

any help appreciated guys. sorry if I'm a super noob. been tryin to do my homework on headphones. This forum is addicting.

right now I think I am best getting a pair of T50p's for mobility and a pair of K601's for home.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2,539 of 29,490

Quote:
hmm, sorry for posting with so short pauses but I think I've completely changed opinion on what kind of phones I want... I realize the K701 are just a bit annoying to wear for a longer period of time, they clamp too tightly and sound a bit too bright. I want something more fun and relaxed and very comfy for more relaxed listening...
budget is basically unlimited but less is better of course.
amp is AMB Cavalli Kumisa 2 MK 3 and DAC is AMB/MisterX Gamma 2

a big plus is also if they look nice 
wink.gif

If you say your budget is infinite, I'm gonna go ahead and assume you won't mind spending a little money to try out cheaper headphones, right?

I personally like the K240 for laid-back sound compared to the 701, and it of course is a lot cheaper.
Sadly, I don't have the money to try out more expensive phones', so i have no idea how they would compare to the other suggestions you have gotten.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2,540 of 29,490

Listen to Cello music and you'll change your mind about the Denons.
Quote:

I own the D7000 and Ultrasone Edition 8- and find the former unbalanced: crazy bass, strong treble, both often combine to overshadow mids in music with a lot of instrumentation.  With music with a lot of bass impact I am literally afraid to use D7000.  The Ultrasones have a much better tonal balance and are superior imo but are crazy expensive, and not much better than open headphones that cost 1/2 as much (RS-1, HD600).  So unless you absolutely need closed headphones, don't get those.  I'm going to do something taboo and recommend the open headphones on your list not having heard them.  But don't take if from me- check out D. Mahler's review of his 20 favorite headphones on the OP of this thread, he has heard the open headphones on your list and prefers them.  

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #2,541 of 29,490

Quote:
So I'm interested in getting a pair or 2 of headphones. I am comming from a pair of sennheiser px100's. they worn down to the bone and hurt to wear now. I am looking for a mobile and a stay at home pair of headphones. I am really interested in AKG's and bayerdynamics, so I am really biased in this nature. I liked my px100's but they hurt like hell after a while and I dont want the same thing. I dont really like any of sennheiser's headphones cept their HD800 but that's way off my charts.
I am really interested in AKG's K450 and beyer's T50p for mobile headphones right now
However, I dont know if a closed phone sound is any good. I heard that closed back headphones tend to distort the sound quality a bit. I also owned a pair of PX200's and I know this for a fact. the PX200's were utter crap.
For stay at home headphones, I am really interested in AKG's offering. I like the K601, K701, K702 and basically their entire 200's line up (studio included). I realize that there are differences (the 240's are open and 270's are closed) and there are fixed and removable cables, etc. dont really care over removable or non removable cables. not gonna balance my headphones anytime anyway. So basically I am between the 601, 701, and 702 and any 240's model cause they are all open.
I am planning to use my laptop as a main audio signal (envy 14) but I may get or build an amp if needed/interested. I listen to all kinds of music, basically every genre,  with rap and country played the least, but not never. I dont like over bassy headphones though. I had a pair of creative sigma hd's and they were crap when it came to sound quality. all they did right was pump bass, but even then it was too much and ruined basically all the elevator music I had.

any help appreciated guys. sorry if I'm a super noob. been tryin to do my homework on headphones. This forum is addicting.

right now I think I am best getting a pair of T50p's for mobility and a pair of K601's for home.

Wow, quite a budget. Those are two excellent headphones, and you should love both of them. I don't know very much about the T50p, but I know the k601 needs a lot of power, so you'll definitely need an amp with it.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #2,542 of 29,490
Hey all,
I have a 2 sets of requirements, either I'll need a set to cover each or maybe there is a set that will cover all my needs in one handy little package.
I've tried looking around for ideas but I just can't get my head around all the requirements at once while reading reviews that don't mention all my needs in one place.
My head was about to explode so I've caved in and made this post.

Budget is £500 / $800 (I can double this but that would mess up my eyefinity upgrade and would look a bit crazy when only spending £1500 on the PA system)!

Requirements set 1:
I need a really good quality pair for home studio recording and production for my band.
Long cable 3 meters (10ft) would be comfortable but I can cope down to 1.5 meters (5ft) if I must.
Closed circumaural (this is not actually necessary but would be better).

Requirements set 2:
I need a Wi/Fi / Bluetooth (not USB) set for gigging.
I will be wearing these when drumming and I am a VERY vigorous drummer so they must stay on my head while I'm flailing about.
The critical thing is that I hear the bass arpeggio from the synth, if I can't hear the timing of the arpeggio then I can't play in time and we all look like idiots.
Quality is not that important as long as I can hear the timing, so enough to pick out the part from the general distortion (the timing might just be phasing so maybe good quality at high volumes would be required)?
I need to hear the other parts to keep track of where we are in the song.
It does need to be loud to hear over the live sound or very good protection from external interference.
Will need a battery life that can be at full volume for a 2 hour set, and it needs to be pretty damn loud.
I can wear a battery pack on my waist if necessary.
They need to be robust as the gigging environment can be dangerous to small kit.

If anyone can think of some suggestions that can meet all these specs keeping within my budget I'd be well pleased.
I think I'd probably prefer 2 sets so I have an emergency back up for gigs, but I'm thinking budget might stick them together?
And if this isn't too cheeky to ask, check out the band Attempting Fate.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #2,543 of 29,490

Quote:
I was also thinking AD2000 when I read your post.

really really? I got the impression these were bright and not too comfortable.. this is confusing, everyone has such different opinions on here 
tongue.gif

hrr.. really sucks to live in a city with no places to try out headphones at.
the ad2000 do seem very nice but are they really towards the detailed yet not too overly bright/sharp direction? I didn't get that impression from the reviews at all

thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #2,545 of 29,490
Uh-oh.  Then what would you recommend for classical in the $100 price range.  

For your taste, and recommending ones that I have heard, these would be the two I'd say you should go for:
Classical: AKG Acoustics K 171 MK II (Street price: $126/Discontinued model replaced with the 271). Save up a few extra pennies and make the jump to the K 171 or 271, both are very respectable closed cans from AKG that carry their legendary sound signature. Very clean and detailed mids and highs with a clean bass. Now, they are not quite as clean as other AKG headphones, because they are closed. This however, might be better for you as the closed AKG is a bit better suited to take on more genres in my opinion. One thing to note is they are rated for 55ohms and have a higher power rating then your standard 32ohm headphone. So, out of a headphone jack from a laptop or iPod they are not living up to their full potential. If you have a stereo amp available, the headphone jack on that should have enough juice in it rather then jumping on a headphone amp (or you could build a cMoy)

Electronic/Metal: Sennheiser HD280 PRO (Street price: $90). A few of my friends have them, and they sound great for a closed headphone. Again, while they are not very clean like an open phone, they do well for what they are. They have a pretty good bass response to them, but unlike the M50 in my opinion, the mids are not too recessed. So it's another great option. As a plus, these cans are really durable and can take one hell of a beating.

Either way, from my experience any of the headphone mentioned will be worlds better then the Bose Around-Ear headphone (I have a pair, so I know their sound). You'll notice and love the improvement. But as I tell everyone, call around any of your local hi-fi shops (if you have any), see if they carry any of the headphones mentioned (Guitar Center for example carries many of the Sennheiser, Audio-Technica and AKG headphone of this price range) and see what is available to demo. Bring with you a few CD samples of what you want to listen to them with (or even your source if it's not too large) and test them out. It really comes down to what you love and like.

Hope this helps, I hope you find what you're looking for, and of course Happy Listening. :)

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2,546 of 29,490
I'm looking for headphones with aggressive weigthy bass and subbass. And with a thick but slightly neutral midrange. The highs can be slightly recessed but doesn't have to be. I'm looking at ATH w1000x but I'm worrying about too sharp highs. I might use an amp to fix that though. Do you know of any other headphones with these characteristics? They shall have a grounded and aggressive bottom and a slightly relaxed top.

my price limit is 700 $

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,547 of 29,490
DT 770 vs Pro 750: Hit me with your best...comparisons? That sounded better in my head. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each compared to the other. Thanks in advance.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #2,548 of 29,490

Hi, 

First time poster here. I am a college student and am looking into buying a good pair of over the ear headphones to study with and I just wanted to you your opinions on what to get. I am looking for something that will let me study and zone out distractions in the library or in the dorms and still give me the sound quality for the price(mostly listen to all types of rock on my laptop or Ipod touch w/o an amp). I was initially looking into Bose QC15 or Beats (both have noise cancelling ability and are at the local best buy) but with my research I have read that both of these are not worth the price tag attached to them. I have read that grado's, denon's, Sennheiser's or Audio Technica's are a better and cheaper way to go. My price tag is around 200-400 (would like to keep it somewhat reasonably low since I am still in college). They also have to look nice since I am in college and lets be honest, image does play a small role.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2,549 of 29,490
Grados probably aren't what you want in a library environment. Depending on how long you plan to wear them at a time, I'd suggest some Beyerdynamic 770s. They're good closed all rounders, and often reffered to as the most comfortable headphones ever. They'll run you about $250. Make sure to get the 32 Ohm model so your unamped sources can power them.

Senn makes some good closed cans, but most of what people recommend is open (which is Grado's problem). On the cheap side the Senn 280 is a good way to go < $100.

i have absolutely no Denon experience, so I can't comment there.

ATs are all over the board. A good first recommendation are of course the M50s. Every thread ever you can pretty much expect someone to recommend the M50s.

Quote:

Hi, 

First time poster here. I am a college student and am looking into buying a good pair of over the ear headphones to study with and I just wanted to you your opinions on what to get. I am looking for something that will let me study and zone out distractions in the library or in the dorms and still give me the sound quality for the price(mostly listen to all types of rock on my laptop or Ipod touch w/o an amp). I was initially looking into Bose QC15 or Beats (both have noise cancelling ability and are at the local best buy) but with my research I have read that both of these are not worth the price tag attached to them. I have read that grado's, denon's, Sennheiser's or Audio Technica's are a better and cheaper way to go. My price tag is around 200-400 (would like to keep it somewhat reasonably low since I am still in college). They also have to look nice since I am in college and lets be honest, image does play a small role.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2,550 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for headphones with aggressive weigthy bass and subbass. And with a thick but slightly neutral midrange. The highs can be slightly recessed but doesn't have to be. I'm looking at ATH w1000x but I'm worrying about too sharp highs. I might use an amp to fix that though. Do you know of any other headphones with these characteristics? They shall have a grounded and aggressive bottom and a slightly relaxed top.

my price limit is 700 $

Maybe a Denon D5000/7000 with jmoney leather earpads. I don't think the w1000x will suit you. Also, don't look for an amp to "fix" the sound signature of a headphone. Better to spend the money on a headphone which already has what you're looking for, or even one that's more neutral and EQ the parts you want. Or maybe those new Sony XB1000 going by early reviews.

Quote:
DT 770 vs Pro 750: Hit me with your best...comparisons? That sounded better in my head. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each compared to the other. Thanks in advance.

DT770: emphasized bass and highs, great isolation, very large and non collapsible, harder to drive
Pro 750: eccentric frequency response but overall flatter, folds flat and (I think) collapses, easier to drive, s-logic derived soundstage

Quote:

Hi, 

Thanks

Sennheiser HD280 - cheap, king of isolation, portable, flat frequency response
Sony MDR-V7 - cheap, good isolation, portable (folds up tiny), flat frequency response
Phiaton MS400 - mid priced, folds flat, comes with case, great looks, fun bassy sound, decent isolation (MS300 is smaller, punchier sound, less bass more mids and highs)
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii - mid priced, small-ish but does not collapse, super sturdy, plain looks, very good isolation
Denon D1001 (cheap) or D1100 (mid) - good isolation, good all around sound

Stay away from Grados for anywhere public. They sound great but do not isolate at all and leak tons of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back