++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 27, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #2,521 of 29,490
So I have this of Bose, and I was thinking about grabbing the ATH-M50's.  I'm just wondering if that's good upgrade, or more of a side step.  I listen to mostly orchestra, but with a little heavy metal and electric thrown into the mix.  

The M50 is great for the latter, but as the previous poster stated, they are not that great for classical. There is too much uncontrolled bass in my opinion and not enough shine on the mids which is where classical music comes alive. For you, if you're willing to sacrifice the pretty darn good isolation of the Bose, I'd be looking at some open cans in the price range. AKG, Grado, whoever you chose, that's what they are primarily good for.

One thing though, any phone you're looking for in the price range isn't necessarily going to be "good" for both (I say good because it really comes down to how you like the music to sound). Classical, electronic and metal are very different in terms of what important range the "music" mostly takes place in. Classical is mids and highs. Electronic is very bass demanding, and at times calls for mids depending on the type. Medal is mids and bass.

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,522 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
So I have this of Bose, and I was thinking about grabbing the ATH-M50's.  I'm just wondering if that's good upgrade, or more of a side step.  I listen to mostly orchestra, but with a little heavy metal and electric thrown into the mix.  

The M50 is great for the latter, but as the previous poster stated, they are not that great for classical. There is too much uncontrolled bass in my opinion and not enough shine on the mids which is where classical music comes alive. For you, if you're willing to sacrifice the pretty darn good isolation of the Bose, I'd be looking at some open cans in the price range. AKG, Grado, whoever you chose, that's what they are primarily good for.

One thing though, any phone you're looking for in the price range isn't necessarily going to be "good" for both (I say good because it really comes down to how you like the music to sound). Classical, electronic and metal are very different in terms of what important range the "music" mostly takes place in. Classical is mids and highs. Electronic is very bass demanding, and at times calls for mids depending on the type. Medal is mids and bass.

Uh-oh.  Then what would you recommend for classical in the $100 price range.  

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2,523 of 29,490
Any midrange Sennheiser is a good bet, or any Audio Technica other than the M50.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,526 of 29,490
Hey all, hoping some people could give me a headphone suggestion!

Budget: $100 or lower. $100 is near my max, though I'm not buying these until my work begins, so I might go a little higher then.
Music Genres: I listen to mostly rock and indie. My tops on last.fm are Strung Out, Gaslight Anthem, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, so that type of stuff
Use: At home entirely. I use in ears for out on the road, so these are going to be home use only.
Amp: None, or possibly a PA2V2
Source: 2nd Gen Zune, or PC

Thanks everyone!

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #2,527 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, hoping some people could give me a headphone suggestion!

Budget: $100 or lower. $100 is near my max, though I'm not buying these until my work begins, so I might go a little higher then.
Music Genres: I listen to mostly rock and indie. My tops on last.fm are Strung Out, Gaslight Anthem, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, so that type of stuff
Use: At home entirely. I use in ears for out on the road, so these are going to be home use only.
Amp: None, or possibly a PA2V2
Source: 2nd Gen Zune, or PC

Thanks everyone!

Grado SR80i.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #2,528 of 29,490

Quote:
Closed cans
For gaming
Looks/Size doesn't matter but dont want something that would rest on my ear.
$250. Budget can be increased if need to be.
Comfortable for long hours of gaming.

Thank you

Check out the very first post in this thread for a good link to gaming headphones.

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #2,533 of 29,490

Quote:
Between the SR80 an MS1, the SR80 is a touch brighter while I find the MS1 is smoother in the mids. The differences are really tiny though.

For the value, I wold say the MS1 is your best buy.

Thanks for your reply :). I am going with the MS1's but my only worry is that my Zune HD is not powerful enough. Will I need to use an amp when my source is Zune HD?

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #2,534 of 29,490
hmm, sorry for posting with so short pauses but I think I've completely changed opinion on what kind of phones I want... I realize the K701 are just a bit annoying to wear for a longer period of time, they clamp too tightly and sound a bit too bright. I want something more fun and relaxed and very comfy for more relaxed listening...
budget is basically unlimited but less is better of course.
amp is AMB Cavalli Kumisa 2 MK 3 and DAC is AMB/MisterX Gamma 2

a big plus is also if they look nice 
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2,535 of 29,490

Quote:
hmm, sorry for posting with so short pauses but I think I've completely changed opinion on what kind of phones I want... I realize the K701 are just a bit annoying to wear for a longer period of time, they clamp too tightly and sound a bit too bright. I want something more fun and relaxed and very comfy for more relaxed listening...
budget is basically unlimited but less is better of course.
amp is AMB Cavalli Kumisa 2 MK 3 and DAC is AMB/MisterX Gamma 2

a big plus is also if they look nice 
wink.gif

Hmm... big open circumaural that's doesn't clamp... Audio Technica AD2000 or Sony SA5000

Of if you're going to break the bank, the HD800 or LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back