++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,471 of 29,490
Hey, can someone clarify if this audio technica M50 box is fake?!? Isn't it the fake box?
So why is geartree selling it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Monitor-Headphones-ATHM50-M-50-/250772053793?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item3a632ddf21

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,472 of 29,490
I posted my question earlier, but i guess it was missed so im gonna try again. I'm looking for some headphones (DUH) i listen to mostly alternative some classical, and rock, my budget  is around 3-400, also in a similar light, my ipod touch screen cracked so il probably be needing a new mp3 player, something to go with my new headphones, around 200 ish plus or minus (any suggestions). It needs to be something that the people around me won't hear and if possible be able to work with my home theater (the headphones).Thanks for any help.
 I really apprecieate any advise, your world of audio is new and scary to my, soo much information and new terminology to learn. graduate level organic was honestly much easier to learn.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #1,473 of 29,490
For a closed headphone with those genres, I would suggest:
Ultrasone, whichever model fits within your budget
Denon D2000 plus J$ leather earpads
Phiaton MS400

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #1,474 of 29,490

Hey there,

I've had the DT990 Pro 250 ohm for a couple of months now, and I just recently got the udac-2 dac/amp, and I think that it sounds great. I love the great bass and the bright highs, it really makes the music come alive.

After getting the udac-2, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and I'm a little unsure as to what to do. I really like the sound of the dt-990, but I'm also interested in getting something to compliment it. 

For now, I've been looking a lot at the DT880 and the HD600/HD580. I think that I would like the lush mid-range of the Senns as a compliment to the DT 990s, but I hear a lot of great things about the DT 880s as a great all-around analytical phone, but since I've only had the DT990, it's hard to tell what any of them would sound like (I should note that I don't know of anywhere nearby where I could sample these headphones).

I know that there are a lot of threads on this specifically, but I was wondering, strictly out of a udac-2, listening primarily to rock (killers), pop (nelly furtado, rachael yamagata) and a lot of movie scores (last samurai, inception, dark knight), which would compliment the dt-990 better?

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on whether it would be worth upgrading from dt990-250 to dt990-600/ any other good upgrades from the dt990 sound, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #1,475 of 29,490

I'm looking for a new set of IEMs to use at work, primarily because I'm surrounded by some rather chatty people that I don't want to hear.

Info:
These will be used with a portable device.
I mostly listen to varieties of metal, including bands like Opeth, Vader, In Flames, Epica, Slipknot, etc. At times I'll toss something odd into the mix, whether it's jazz, blues, electronica, industrial, or classical.
I'm located within the US.
I'm looking to stay in the $50 range - I may be able to swing up to $100 depending on how angry I want to make the wife. :)

I originally had some Sony headphones that I dropped about $20-30 on... they don't seem to have a model number listed and I no longer have the box, but I believe they are MDREX36V. To my ears they seemed to be a little harsh in the upper range. I replaced them with some Klipsch S3 which I believe have decent sound... my issue with them is an iffy fit and tons of microphonics.

At the gym I use some Sennheiser/Addidas CX 680 that I've been pretty happy with, but I admit that I purchased them for their fit and don't normally pay as much attention to their sound while working out as I would when sitting at my desk.

Given this, what would you suggest?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #1,477 of 29,490
Okay I'm down to two choices for cans: Audio Technica M50 or the Audio Technica A700's.

This is what I'll be doing with them:

Gaming on my PC and TV (via a receiver)
I do a bit of travel, so I'll be using them during flights with my iPod watching movies or listening to music. 
Listening to vinyl at home (via a receiver)
Watching movies on my laptop while I'm traveling (in hotels)
With my iPod/cmoybb setup various places.  I usually don't listen while I walk around even in airports because I like to hear what's going on around me.  Just my preference.

I have some ES7's now but they are more on your ear and not over your ear.  I'm really looking for something over ear, isolation isn't that big of a deal but I want closed cans.

Any suggestions would be apprecaited!

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,478 of 29,490
ok guys so im new to head fi and after some searching around the forums i still cant choose what headphone to buy.

first off i do like my bass and having boomy base is important to me going along with the old saying bass is music. the headphones i own are the skullcandy skullcrusher (some of you probably are already saying LOOOL SKULLCANDY i may not have been on here for long but i know the trends :D) and currently im using the sony MDR XB700

the main genres i listen to are rap, hip hop, r&b and some rock and pop.
i do need a closed back headphone and one that doesn't require a amp however if i find a headphone thats for a decent price i might buy a fiio e5.

the headphones do need to look good as walking around school with a ugly  pair of headphones... yeah not cool.

my price limit is £350 which comes up to something like $400?

so far i was interested in the M50's but then i found out that they have a cord almost 10 miles long -_-
im also interested in the  (brace yourselves people) beats by dre pro and the phiaton ms400 and ive read some reviews.

so any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,479 of 29,490

Quote:
the headphones do need to look good as walking around school with a ugly  pair of headphones... yeah not cool.

my price limit is £350 which comes up to something like $400?

so far i was interested in the M50's but then i found out that they have a cord almost 10 miles long -_-
im also interested in the  (brace yourselves people) beats by dre pro and the phiaton ms400 and ive read some reviews.

so any suggestions?

The M50 is a studio monitoring headphone that is not designed for portable usage. And when you have a setup at home/studio, you will appreciate the "10 miles long" cord...
But if you do like the M50, you could consider recabling them to a shorter length. Grab a used pair and try your skills at recabling.

Read this review by ljokerl with regards to fashion vs function: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1

There are also two articles at headfonia you might be interested in:
- closed cans shootout: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

- ultra portable shootout: http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-portable-shootout-px100-px200-portapro-k404-v-jays-tracks-oldskool-and-hd238/

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,480 of 29,490
I've been in love with my AKGs for quite some time now, but I noticed that compared to more balanced phones, the AKGs are v-shaped. Tried some Grado 225i's (recabled) and they sounded fantastic, though a bit shrill for me. Other than the highs, everything sounded kosher, aside from its open design. I need a pair of closed phones, recommendations? No budget really, ideally under $1000. Most likely will be running them off my uDAC/iPhone or the Benchmark DAC1 PRE that I'm getting. Key is that they should be able to go low, and has to be fairly flat regarding the frequency response, like my Westones.

Brendan

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #1,481 of 29,490

Quote:
please recommend headphones for 200-300$
i listen rock, jazz, post-punk, classial, dream pop, etc
not amp using, just use in my pc
only home using

Used HD600 - does very well with all genres, is amazing with jazz and classical.  Spend the rest on a cheap dac/amp, your pc can't possibly do them justice.  Make sure it's an oversampling dac (most are), the only things they don't do well with is a warm & fuzzy source.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,482 of 29,490
Thinking of buying the Denon AH-D2000's. Im into house, dubstep, rock, and some acoustic stuff. From what ive been reading, these look to be the ideal fit, as they have slightly more-powerful bass (which i would enjoy).

Anything i should consider or know before i make the leap? 

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #1,484 of 29,490
So I was looking for headphones that are an 'upgrade' over my old Creative Aurvana Live that I broke last week. 

Looking for something similar to the CALs, has to be semi-portable, closed at least and be decent enough at gaming.

Tried out my friends pair of ATH-50s for gaming and was honestly amazed at how awful they are for them. The soundstage is absolutely terrible compared to my old CALs. Tried listening to music on some SRH440s and HD280s and wasn't really impressed. They feel really dull in general in terms of sound. And the SRH's were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've worn.  

Is there something around 150 dollars or so that has the vibrant feel that my old CALs had. What am I looking for?

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,485 of 29,490
I've been lurking around a bit reading and looking at the wiki and reviews, great job to everyone on the site!

I have never owned any quality headphones, nor do I know too much about them, which is why I'm posting here with a few questions.

I will primarily be using them through my computer. I do not have a sound card, and these are the specs my motherboard has for 'audio' if it helps at all.

Quote:
  • Realtek ALC892 codec
  • High Definition Audio
  • 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
  • Support for Dolby Home Theater
  • Support for S/PDIF In/Out
  • Support for CD In

1)Knowing this would it be necessary to buy an audio card?

Here's some stuff I listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVAGliL36w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqNFkQmmbcQ
Indie rock, Experimental (Hip Hop), Electronic, etc

Amps?
I hear a lot of mixed things about them, I know it sort of depends on the source of my music and what headphones I choose, so maybe this question can be answered later.

I'm looking to spend a MAX of around $80 on the headphones.

I did some mild research, and Sennheiser HD 555s are looking good to me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVDQ/
ir

Would these be appropriate for what I listen do, and a good product for the price?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
YoHoJo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back