++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 29, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,186 of 29,490

[size=medium]
[size=medium]
Hi Headfi'ers

I have been listening to a set of Grado sr60 for some years now and decided it perhaps was time for something better. I sink most of my money into full rage hifi so I initially didn't want to spend too much on new headphones. I guess that has changed 
rolleyes.gif
 Thought it would be a no-brainer buying something better. Well it seems it really wasn't.

Here follows some info which might help you experts to get a sense of my preferences:
I have listened to a couple of usual suspects.

Sr60, sr80, sr 125 and sr325. Hmm, in my opinon sr60 is actually the best in this group. Of course I can hear how the treble gets more defined, detailed and more refined as you move up the Grado line. But at the same time the balance between bass, midrange and treble goes out the window. IMHO too much treble without more bass. This tiem around I want more bass than what Grado has to offer.

So I listened to Denon AH- D2000 and AH-A100.
The D2000's were IMHO quite recessed and boring sounding. The AH-A100 were actually quite good. Very well balanced. Nice deep firm bass without it being overwhelming, nice midrange and well extended treble. Unfortunately or fortunately I here learned an important lesson. I cant stand closed headphones. I get sort of a pressing feeling in my ear. Hard to explain. Sort of like the way it feels when a plains losses altitude. Bottom line. Closed headphones is not for me.

So I continued my search and listened to Beyerdynamic dt770, dt880, dt990 all 250 ohm. It was all I could get close to.

DT880:  I liked the dt880's the best out of the Beyers. Perhaps because they reminded me most of my old SR60's. Unfortunately because of my new preferences they lacked deep bass in an bad way and i didn't think they offered much more of an airy treble than my old sr60
DT770: Wow the deep bass these cans deliver. Impressive, but way too much. While it was very deep it also felt kind of slow but way too boomy for me. But again this is a closed headphone and I can't stand it 
frown.gif

DT990: Hmm kind of a strange headphone. Sounded to me like a pair of DT880's victimized by a bad equalizer. Excessive treble and bass and a hollow midrange. I didn't like these at all.

So to sum up. I'm looking for an open headphone with a balanced sound. Something like and open version of Denon AH-A100 or a combination of DT880 and DT770.
Hope some of you wise guys can help point me in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated 
L3000.gif

[/size]

[/size]

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,187 of 29,490
There aren't many open 'phones that go a whole lot deeper than the DT880.  On the cheap there's the the AKG  K601.  I've you've got more cash then the HiFiMan HE-5LE, and if you've got lots of money the HE-6 or LCD-2.

All of those will likely need some serious amping though...

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,188 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
So I already plan on getting the hd598 and se535.. But I want to get a higher end can.. I have sampled the hd800, edition 8 and the LCD-2. I prefer the LCD-2 the most of the three. Are there other around the $1000-$1500 price range I should be looking for? I want to try k1000's but haven't had an opportunity to demo these.. Looking for a headphone with alot of bass. Thanks in advance.

Can't advise you on any of those cans but there's a nice bass heavy K1000 in the FS section you may want to check out.

And just out of interest, which combo do you prefer? The Fiio or the Sparrow?

Sparrow I
ll take a look at the K1000's :)

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #1,189 of 29,490

Quote:

[size=medium] So to sum up. I'm looking for an open headphone with a balanced sound. Something like and open version of Denon AH-A100 or a combination of DT880 and DT770.[/size]
[size=medium] Hope some of you wise guys can help point me in the right direction.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Any help would be much appreciated 
L3000.gif
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]

I quite like the HD600 and find it a very balanced headphone.  Haven't heard all the Beyers you have, but it does have much better and more integrated bass than Grados (SR-60, SR225, RS-1) and does not suffer from excessive treble.  They also have well proportioned mids, unlike Denons I own (D5000/D7000).  This lack of imbalance makes it easy to enjoy for a long time, and does not detract from the music in any noticeable way unlike all my other headphones.  They can feel mellow out some sources (e.g. portable amplifiers, tube amp) but no so much with my detailed and well-powered ss dac/amp.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #1,190 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Does anyone else think it is harder to give advice with everyone posting on the same thread?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I think this thread is a lot harder to give advice and ask for advice. Not everyone is going to look back a few pages to check it. I think its better if everyone just made their own thread really or make two or three of these threads with a price range. <$150 thread and another $200-$300 thread and $300+ thread

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,191 of 29,490

Quote:
I think this thread is a lot harder to give advice and ask for advice. Not everyone is going to look back a few pages to check it. I think its better if everyone just made their own thread really or make two or three of these threads with a price range. <$150 thread and another $200-$300 thread and $300+ thread

I agree. I am very much a beginner when it comes to higher quality headphones, and I have been trying to search throughout the forums for threads that share the criteria of my interests. However , I haven't found anything very helpful, as just about every single thread about the same subject is inconclusive, or branch into something else completely. Thus, I turn to this thread, but aside from a single answer, I haven't gotten any feedback at all. I'd hope starting my own thread would garner better results.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,192 of 29,490
That's what I did, you just don't get enough feedback with this anymore. If you make your own thread, you'll get a lot more replies much faster, so the thread can be over and done with in a few days and theres nothing to complain about.

Quote:
Quote:

I agree. I am very much a beginner when it comes to higher quality headphones, and I have been trying to search throughout the forums for threads that share the criteria of my interests. However , I haven't found anything very helpful, as just about every single thread about the same subject is inconclusive, or branch into something else completely. Thus, I turn to this thread, but aside from a single answer, I haven't gotten any feedback at all. I'd hope starting my own thread would garner better results.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #1,195 of 29,490
Hello.

At the moment I'm using a set of KSC75 but the problem is when my roommate's computer is turned on (it makes a lot of noise) or when he listens to some music.
The thing is I can't really hear much on these headphones. So, I've thought on buying me some full size headphones and I've come across the JVC HA-RX700.
I can't find a pair in Europe for a reasonable price. Is there any alternative I can find in Europe for the same price range?
Let's say 40-50$.

Best regards,
K

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #1,196 of 29,490
I'm sorry you guys have such difficulty using the search feature but this thread was an attempt to alleviate this sub-forum turning into just a recommendation board. Prior to becoming a member I lurked Head-Fi for some time and had no issues quickly identifying headphones of worth from the existing discussions taking place. This allowed me to search out the more detailed review/impressions/appreciation threads that further informed my buying decisions. At no point did I feel it necessary to start a new thread. If I had a question I received great advice by asking it in an existing thread. Sometimes I had to wait a day or two, but I understood members weren't here on my whim, and any advice received was someone giving up their own time to help me out.

I can understand some of the frustration you guys are feeling in not getting your questions answered but you also need to see it from the other said. For me Head-Fi is a discussion forum where I should be able to have meaningful discussions with other like minded people. It is not a Customer Service job where every post is made to address a question that has been answered a million times.

Unfortunately it looks like this problem is set to get worse. If you guys are compelled to each start individual threads asking these same questions, this forum won't have the content to attract the attention of members that can actually give good advice. So perhaps instead of spamming the forum with these drive-by questions, how about taking notice of what others are saying? I guarantee your question is not as unique as you think.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,197 of 29,490
I was looking at purchasing a pair of full size headphones for around $300. I am a long time lurker and have scoured the boards for reviews and comments and have settled on two models. Denon ah-d2000 and Ultrasone HFI-2400. I was looking for someone that has had the opportunity to try both sets. I will be using them for listening to music (rock, jazz, some rap, and some electronic), games and movies. They will not be used on any portable player as I have other phones for that purpose. Important areas for my consideration are comfort, overall sound quality, while not neglecting bass (not a basehead but I do like the low-end). I do not require the most neutral headphones. Just a pair that can perform the best while employed with the three types of media I previously indicated.

Oh, these will be used with the A40 Mixamp while playing games or watching movies.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,200 of 29,490

Quote:
Could someone head back to page 74 and give me a hand with my question please?

Thanks!

I think that if you noticed a difference, for the better, between the HD485's and Beats, then the M50 will impress you A LOT. The difference in sound quality between beats and m50's is like the difference in power between a Civic hybrid and a Bugatti Veyron. So yes, they would be worth it if you already thought the Beats were an improvement. Go for it!

Also, thanks for the patience. Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back