++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 28, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,156 of 29,490
Yes I really enjoyed using them, definitely a much nicer overall sound than the sonys I'm using at the moment! My only problem with them and in ear headphones in general is that I always seem to manage to break them eventually no matter how carefully I try to handle them!

Quote:
Ah, the CX300-II! I think they sound very pleasant. Do you like how they sound? 

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #1,157 of 29,490
So I feel it's time to get another pair of headphones. Last time I did a major purchase was back in early 09 when I got my UE-11's and a Pico to go along with it. Actually that was my first serious audiophile purchase. Anyways, I want to get some full sized headphones now for home listening. I don't want to take a step down in audio quality from the UE-11's. Are the 650's comparable? I know it is hard to compare IEM's to full sized headphones. I would purchase a Nuforce Icon HDP with the 650's. Would that be a comparable to my UE-11/Pico setup? I'm not looking to spend a huge amount on a desktop amp...yet. Seems like the Icon HDP would suit my needs in the interim (maybe a year or so). By the way, I am a bass nut. Not outrageous and overwhelming bass but tight and punchy. With an emphasis on punchy. I like oomph from my music. I like headphones where I can almost feel the bass. UE-11's have it, do the 650's?

I have both items in my Amazon cart ready to purchase. I just would like to double check with fellow Head-Fi'ers before I spend $900+.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #1,158 of 29,490
Hi guys, I seek guidance  to buy a new headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

The budget is <200$, preferable less than 150$ if possible.
tongue_smile.gif

I use my headphone only at home, but i would prefer a semi-open/closed one.
The musics I hear mainly is pop, but I also like rock and classic.
I prefer a bright one. Bass is deep, and has moderate-to-low impact.
Vocal should be quiet forward if possible. No sibilance please. 
Treble should be sparkly enough for treble lovers.
I guess that's all
Thanks 

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,159 of 29,490
Hello,

Basically, I'm looking to buy a set of headphones for approx 180 - 200 - maybe a little bit more.
I listen to many different types of music which include D&B, Metal, Pop and classical - so I'm mainly looking for clarity but a bit of oomph also.

What sort of headphones am I looking at in this price range?

thanks.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,160 of 29,490
Bump. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to purchase soon.

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new here but have been reading around as a non-member over the last few days, please forgive my lack of knowledge on headphones (I've been trying to do some research over the last few days but I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming!). I've always loved music and I like to think I can recognize good sound when I hear it (haha),  I'm getting sick of the low quality sound from my cheapish headphones that I've always bought, but I'll be totally honest in that I'm not the best person when it comes to understanding modern technology jargon and how it all works exactly...so hopefully someone can give me some advice on buying a new set of headphones! I'm looking to buy a decent pair of headphones, these will be my first good ones that I plan on buying and as a poor enough student these will probably be the only good pair that I will be buying for a long time. I'm looking for open cans, I'll be using them mostly for music listening and they'll be strictly for home use. I listen to just about anything-rock, classical, hip-hop, electronica-I like my bass but don't need anything crazy that overpowers. At the moment the only thing I will be using them with is my laptop (losless format sound quality), but I'll hopefully be getting my hands on a USB sound card soon as well which will boost the sound quality a bit I'm hoping. I can stretch the budget up to about €250, although I'd rather keep to around €200 euro mark. I've been looking into a few different sennheiser and ATH models like the HD558s or the AD700s.....but honestly I really have no idea what to look for overall. Any guidance would be much appreciated!  

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #1,161 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,

Basically, I'm looking to buy a set of headphones for approx 180 - 200 - maybe a little bit more.
I listen to many different types of music which include D&B, Metal, Pop and classical - so I'm mainly looking for clarity but a bit of oomph also.

thanks.

Clarity + oomph sounds like a job for Ultrasone 580. There's a fairly recent review thread on it; check it out.

Quote:
Bump. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm hoping to purchase soon.

I don't know how much they cost where you live, but the Beyerdynamic DT 880 are open, sound clear and have a realistic amount of bass. They may not feel as bassy as the CX300 you have though. I think something a little closer to the CX300 would be the AKG K271, which is (surprisingly) a closed headphone that has a pretty "big" feel to the sound. Both headphones are safe bets for huge step ups from anything you have heard to date.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,162 of 29,490
Thanks a lot for the recommendations I'll look further into these two, I was also looking into the ATH A700s, do you think they'd be a suitable option for me as well?

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

thanks.

Clarity + oomph sounds like a job for Ultrasone 580. There's a fairly recent review thread on it; check it out.

Quote:

I don't know how much they cost where you live, but the Beyerdynamic DT 880 are open, sound clear and have a realistic amount of bass. They may not feel as bassy as the CX300 you have though. I think something a little closer to the CX300 would be the AKG K271, which is (surprisingly) a closed headphone that has a pretty "big" feel to the sound. Both headphones are safe bets for huge step ups from anything you have heard to date.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,165 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new here but have been reading around as a non-member over the last few days, please forgive my lack of knowledge on headphones (I've been trying to do some research over the last few days but I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming!). I've always loved music and I like to think I can recognize good sound when I hear it (haha),  I'm getting sick of the low quality sound from my cheapish headphones that I've always bought, but I'll be totally honest in that I'm not the best person when it comes to understanding modern technology jargon and how it all works exactly...so hopefully someone can give me some advice on buying a new set of headphones! I'm looking to buy a decent pair of headphones, these will be my first good ones that I plan on buying and as a poor enough student these will probably be the only good pair that I will be buying for a long time. I'm looking for open cans, I'll be using them mostly for music listening and they'll be strictly for home use. I listen to just about anything-rock, classical, hip-hop, electronica-I like my bass but don't need anything crazy that overpowers. At the moment the only thing I will be using them with is my laptop (losless format sound quality), but I'll hopefully be getting my hands on a USB sound card soon as well which will boost the sound quality a bit I'm hoping. I can stretch the budget up to about €250, although I'd rather keep to around €200 euro mark. I've been looking into a few different sennheiser and ATH models like the HD558s or the AD700s.....but honestly I really have no idea what to look for overall. Any guidance would be much appreciated!  

A very very good open headphone that is versatile enough for rock (good mids), classical (good soundstage) and hip-hop (adequate bass) is HD600.  Imo they're much more versatile than Grados, which lack bass and soundstage and AKG which lack bass.  They'll work best if you use any old stereo amp to amplify them as they're pretty power hungry.  They're my favorite headphone of all that I own, which cost upwards 4x more.

edit: for reasons listed above, I found k271 woefully inadequate for rock, electronica & hip-hop if you're considering them.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,166 of 29,490
Hi eucariote, thanks for the advice. I was looking into the HD600s myself but they're a little over my price range (selling for around £250 where I'm ordering) and at the moment I've got no amp so if I were to get them I wouldn't be able to get any sort of amp for the time being so I don't think they're going to work for me. I'm looking into the ATH A700s, have you had any experience with these?
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

A very very good open headphone that is versatile enough for rock (good mids), classical (good soundstage) and hip-hop (adequate bass) is HD600.  Imo they're much more versatile than Grados, which lack bass and soundstage and AKG which lack bass.  They'll work best if you use any old stereo amp to amplify them as they're pretty power hungry.  They're my favorite headphone of all that I own, which cost upwards 4x more.

edit: for reasons listed above, I found k271 woefully inadequate for rock, electronica & hip-hop if you're considering them.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,168 of 29,490
The HD600s are selling for around £250 where I'm ordering so they're a bit out of my price range at the moment and I have no amp so I don't think they'll work for me. Definitely swaying towards the ATH A700s the more I read on them (and they look pretty nice too I think which is a bonus!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back