++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,126 of 29,490

Quote:
Trollzama-V6: actually, I have no preconceived notion of your JVC earbuds. If they're quite cheap, it's safe to assume the M35 will outperform them in all your listed genres, so long as you understand that the m35 (which is essentially a foldable M30) has a slightly warm sound. The V6, on the other hand, is reputed to be neutral-to-bright.

I hope you're getting the M35 from an authorised dealer.

I'm getting them from Best Buy, are they an authorized dealer?
beyersmile.png

Yeah, the JVC buds are okay (Best buds i've ever owned) and I really like them, but it's safe to assume that the M35s are going to be much better.

Thanks for your help.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,128 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Heh, I listen to a bit of everything from classical, to jazz, to heavy metal.  The majority of my listening consists of the Superman OST or john williams in general, Guthrie Govan and other fusion guitarists, maybe some andy mckee and a lot of acoustic Jazz via The Rosenberg Trio, Django, Bireli Lagrene ect

Well heavy metal and I think Grado, classical and jazz depending on your taste I'd suggest Sennheisers HD580 (which is discontinued but can be found within your price range), and Sony SA3000 for a little more which I found extremely good with the likes of John Williams, Mike Oldfield and everything classical to ambient. If you're willing to spend a little more Grado 325is might be the one-headphone ticket, possibly a Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm if you can power it. 

Ive owned everything you mentioned heh :[  Ive a huge problem with on ear sets, as well as sets with a small stage.  I'll sacrifice audio clarity for a large stage anyday

my favorite was the woodie grado 325i, but even it didn't satisfy me in terms of staging.  I wont be truly happy until I spend a few grand on a Edition 8-10 :p

Quote:
Quote:
ive owned all of them except the stantons, the allen and heath, and the ortofon :p

I think it's time to just start making your own headphones.
cool.gif
Weren't you mucking around with orthos earlier?

I've been hired by 9wave and I mucked with a lot of brands :wink: haha

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,129 of 29,490

Quote:
Ive owned everything you mentioned heh :[  Ive a huge problem with on ear sets, as well as sets with a small stage.  I'll sacrifice audio clarity for a large stage anyday

my favorite was the woodie grado 325i, but even it didn't satisfy me in terms of staging.  I wont be truly happy until I spend a few grand on a Edition 8-10 :p

You're crazy! ...why spend $150 on phones when you have decent ones already? I'll be honest I don't like a lot of current production phones, have you tried Sony CD3000/1700/770? Possibly Z5/6/7 if you can find or perhaps DT48

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,130 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

You're crazy! ...why spend $150 on phones when you have decent ones already? I'll be honest I don't like a lot of current production phones, have you tried Sony CD3000/1700/770? Possibly Z5/6/7 if you can find or perhaps DT48

Welcome to Head-Fi :D  I am a very picky listener :\  

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,131 of 29,490
I have a Sansui AU-919 integrated amplifier with a 1/4" headphone jack and a pair of AKG K-701 cans. My wife wants to listen to music with me in the same room. I want to get her a pair of AKG K-701 as well, so they match in specs.

Here is the million dollar question:

I am looking for a good headphone splitter that uses one 1/4" male jack (to amp) and two 1/4" female jacks (to headphones).

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Thanks so much!

Rob

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #1,133 of 29,490

Quote:
Graphicism: swbf2cheater has a T1, I doubt a DT880 will be appealing to him.

I had one :[  *cries

but ya, I am really looking for something that does not exist.  My requirements are way too hard to find.  Nobody makes what I am looking for heh.  Bottom line is I am a sucker for large soundstage and prefer it over anything else, but the headband is also important.  It has to be low profile, like the denon d2000 or the phiaton ps500, small, thin, no large gaps and conforms to your head with plenty of good padding, short cord or recabled for portable use.  

those are my requirements and I've not been able to match all of them.  In terms of comfort, nothing comes close to the phiaton ps500 but it has soundstage problems.  The D2000 is another option but its been so long since I've heard it, I cant remember if I liked it or not haha!.   Right now I am looking for something more budget oriented and "portable"

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #1,134 of 29,490
Jan 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #1,135 of 29,490
Hmm, never posted in here before but I'll give it a shot. What I am looking for is something great at electropop (electronia) type of music with good details, almost sparkly, a nice soundstage size (medium-large) and in a closed headphone setup (not dead set on this, but preferred). Bass is important of course, but overly is not really cared for. Right now I have my eye on Ultrasones (650/700/750/780) but really not sure on the models, etc. Any help is appreciated. I have been searching quite a bit, but there are so many models that I just don't know. Oh and price range is $2-250, maybe that will decide it. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,136 of 29,490
Ultrasone headphones should fit your criteria nicely - good detail retrieval, slightly boosted highs and great bass. I'm guessing your price range is $200-250, in which case I'd go for the Pro 750s. You can find open-box models for a cheap price on eBay.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,137 of 29,490
Ok, so I didn't really get any replies, so here I go again.

I'm looking to upgrade from my HD555's, and I'm looking at the Denon D2000, Beyer 770/880/990, and Senn HD650 (I was also thinking about the AKG 701 but apparently there's not enough bass with that one). I do want bass (HD555 didn't have much), but I don't need overpowering bass that will thump my brains out. Just accurate, punchy bass will do. The new cans will primarily be for music, but I would also like to know how well they perform for games/movies, so I can decide whether I need to keep my HD555's or not. They will be driven by my Essence STX soundcard amp, but I am always thinking of upgrades down the line, like external DACs and amps, and I'm also looking into Vinyl as well. I can't really say that I like accurate reproduction over a fun, altered sound (or vice versa), I'm sure that if my music is more detailed I can enjoy it more, but when I listen to music on my HD555s it can be a bit boring. So I'm not really sure about that.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #1,138 of 29,490
I recommend the D2000 with J$ leather pads. Before spending the money on that though, do a search for modding the 555 into the 595.

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #1,140 of 29,490
Looking for some new headphones for hard/prog. rock and metal. Shouldn't be too detailed since rock/metal records, esp. metal, are often VERY BAD!
Looking for something that just makes fun, it should be powerfull, thrilling and energized. It should give some sort of "IN YA FACE"-sound.
When I plug em in my amp, they should just ROCK MY BRAIN OFF. Not as clinical and neutral as K701 / DT880 for example.

Thought of RS60, RS80 and D2K..
Any suggestions :) ?

greeez

Users who are viewing this thread

Back