++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 26, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #1,111 of 29,490
Hey,   I'm thinking I'm gonna buy an AKG K702 and pair it with a FiiO E9.  This leaves me with enough cash to  pick up a Beyerdynamic DT 770 600ohm model for 185 US dollars.  The question is, will the DT 770 be a good compliment to the K702, or what the K702 doesn't do well, will the DT 770 pick up the slack or will another can for around the same price be better.   

I have had a HD 515 for the last 5 years and not knowing any better, I have loved these Senn's.  But I want to take a step up and I've been reading a lot because I had no clue about this stuff, I figured I'd be getting something like a Bose, but now I know better. But I haven't heard any of these nice cans and I live in the middle of nowhere in TN (literally) and their is no chance to audit anything.  

I figure the K702's are going to work great for me, love classical and new age, prog rock and such.  I really can't think of any music I don't like a little, but I love to just rock out and that's what the DT 770 is going to be for, unless someone knows of a better so-called bassy set.  I could go with a SRH840 or the M50 instead if one of them is just a pure rocker, or anything, I just don't know what to get for that second can, but I don't want the treble to be glaring, rather go with the bass for the rocker headphones.  Does that make sense?

My source is going to be a Forte and the FiiO E9 with my computer and a Pioneer A / V receiver in a separate location, without the E9.

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,112 of 29,490

Quote:
Trollzama-V6: they should be fine unamped, and for the genres you listed (except for orchestral. I don't know how they perform with orchestral). What headphones were you using before this?

Well, I ordered a pair of V6s online before this (Hence my name) and they turned out to be fake, so I sent them back. Right now, I'm using the JVC HA F51 buds, which don't sound as bad as you'd think.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #1,113 of 29,490
I would go with the Brainwavz m2. Some consider them to be better than the imageS4 in terms of bass and sound quality. VERY durable wiring/housing. Not your basic rubbery wire. They are normally $60-$70 but right now if you get them on www.mp4nationusa.com you can get them for only $40 with free shipping.

Quote:
Hello... 

I purchased monster turbine.. but the one that i received was not durable and housing got broke within couple of days of use only.. many people had that problem with amazon order... So, here i am again... should i get another monster turbine as they are under warranty.. so i have to pay for shipping and they will replace new one within 3 days... or should i go with some other one like klipsch image 4 or fishcer audio eterna or etymotic research mc5/er6i or head direct re0... my budget is somewhere around 70$ .. i am searching for another headphone due to the durability problem with monsters ... 

i like headphone which should have more bass... not over bass bt should not lake in bass... more noise isolation and less leakage... though, turbines have less noise isolation but it will improve once i purchase foam tips... 

what you think?/ .same monsters with foam tips or other one??... 

Thanks...

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #1,114 of 29,490
I am definitely in a bind and would like more advice.  I decided to buy the Ultrasone Dj1 but I am not a bass head so they are not really for me.  Not really sure what else I can get that I haven't already owned for around a $150 budget.  

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #1,115 of 29,490

Quote:
I am definitely in a bind and would like more advice.  I decided to buy the Ultrasone Dj1 but I am not a bass head so they are not really for me.  Not really sure what else I can get that I haven't already owned for around a $150 budget.  

So the Ultrasone DJ1 had much more bass than the Shure 750DJ or did you never tried those perhaps? I thought they'd have roughly the same or possibly slightly less than the Shures. Would be nice if you could post a more detailed comparision of those two.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,117 of 29,490
Quote:

What sort of music do you listen too?

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,118 of 29,490
I'm looking to get a new pair of portable headphones or IEMs. Really, it's all about what I can get for my budget in the end, which would be around 150-200$. As I've understood, the best headphones for me here  would be ATH-M50, HD-25, TMA-1 (been hearing some backlash on these lately?). The IEMs I've been looking at mostly are DBA-02 and UE triple.fi 10. How do these compare to the above stated headphones purely from a sound quality perspective? Isolation is less of an issue.

As for my music preferences: I'd say I prefer a clear sound over a fun one so far, as I mainly spin hip hop, lots of different kinds of electronica, but also quite a bit of accoustic and vocal stuff. I Can't really say either gets more time unfortunately.

I'll try to supply more info if needed, but I hope this will suffice.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,119 of 29,490
Heh, I listen to a bit of everything from classical, to jazz, to heavy metal.  The majority of my listening consists of the Superman OST or john williams in general, Guthrie Govan and other fusion guitarists, maybe some andy mckee and a lot of acoustic Jazz via The Rosenberg Trio, Django, Bireli Lagrene ect

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,120 of 29,490
Wow, stop posting for a bit and suddenly there are 200+ posts on here.

Quote:
Hey,   I'm thinking I'm gonna buy an AKG K702 and pair it with a FiiO E9.  This leaves me with enough cash to  pick up a Beyerdynamic DT 770 600ohm model for 185 US dollars.  The question is, will the DT 770 be a good compliment to the K702, or what the K702 doesn't do well, will the DT 770 pick up the slack or will another can for around the same price be better.   

The DT770 is indeed a good complement soundwise compared to the K701. While I'm personally not a fan of the Beyer sound, I would say it's a step up from the 840 or M50 you were also considering. I would also recommend giving the Phiaton MS400 a look.

Quote:

Try these and get back to us...
beyersmile.png

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,122 of 29,490
Trollzama-V6: actually, I have no preconceived notion of your JVC earbuds. If they're quite cheap, it's safe to assume the M35 will outperform them in all your listed genres, so long as you understand that the m35 (which is essentially a foldable M30) has a slightly warm sound. The V6, on the other hand, is reputed to be neutral-to-bright.

I hope you're getting the M35 from an authorised dealer.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,123 of 29,490
Quote:
Heh, I listen to a bit of everything from classical, to jazz, to heavy metal.  The majority of my listening consists of the Superman OST or john williams in general, Guthrie Govan and other fusion guitarists, maybe some andy mckee and a lot of acoustic Jazz via The Rosenberg Trio, Django, Bireli Lagrene ect

Well heavy metal and I think Grado, classical and jazz depending on your taste I'd suggest Sennheisers HD580 (which is discontinued but can be found within your price range), and Sony SA3000 for a little more which I found extremely good with the likes of John Williams, Mike Oldfield and everything classical to ambient. If you're willing to spend a little more Grado 325is might be the one-headphone ticket, possibly a Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm if you can power it. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,124 of 29,490

Quote:
ive owned all of them except the stantons, the allen and heath, and the ortofon :p

I think it's time to just start making your own headphones.
cool.gif
Weren't you mucking around with orthos earlier?

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,125 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:

The DT770 is indeed a good complement soundwise compared to the K701. While I'm personally not a fan of the Beyer sound, I would say it's a step up from the 840 or M50 you were also considering. I would also recommend giving the Phiaton MS400 a look.

Thanks for the input, I got cold feet on the K702, finally choose a DT 990/600 to go with the E9 amp.  Have no idea if I like the Beyer sound or not, never heard it.  But I got to start somewhere, from what I read, after the HD 515, the Beyer will sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back