++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,171 of 29,490
So I already plan on getting the hd598 and se535.. But I want to get a higher end can.. I have sampled the hd800, edition 8 and the LCD-2. I prefer the LCD-2 the most of the three. Are there other around the $1000-$1500 price range I should be looking for? I want to try k1000's but haven't had an opportunity to demo these.. Looking for a headphone with alot of bass. Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,172 of 29,490
Thanks for that info Ultrainferno, seems like one of the best prices I've seen for those alright!

eucariote-haha you're confusing me again about what I should get! 
biggrin.gif
Although for the little I do know about headphones I can assure you that I know even less about amps and the likes, I'm a total noob there's no hiding it
tongue.gif
  What do you think of the ATH A700s as another option for me?
Quote:
Quote:
eucariote: but does the HD600 retail for 200€?

@Eric_c & Neonwilderness. the HD600 is for sale on Amazon.fr for 230€. I ordered one last week as well, best price in Europe I think

Quote:
Quote:
eucariote: but does the HD600 retail for 200€?

No, but they might be found used within that budget.  Mine were purchased for less than $250 (180 euros).  For the rest neonwilderness can buy a vintage stereo in a local pawn shop.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,173 of 29,490
So now I'm also very interested in the ATH-ES10s. I have a dj store in my local area that are going to get them into stock in a few weeks, so naturally I'm going to give them a spin when that time comes around.

I'm interested in how you guys around here think they compare to HD-25, ATH-50 and other popular portable headphones. Is the (massive) price difference worth it? I've heard lots of people say that amping them is uneccesary, while I found that both aformentioned headphones definitely couldn't reach their full potential on my Ipod touch alone. Also, if the ES10s sound so good unamped, does that mean they scale up a good deal in quality when amped? I'm also curious as to how good the cable quality is, since I'm quite wary of the fact that it can't be replaced.

I'm planning on getting the Fiio e11 once it becomes available.

Looking forward to answers, if any.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,174 of 29,490

Quote:
So I already plan on getting the hd598 and se535.. But I want to get a higher end can.. I have sampled the hd800, edition 8 and the LCD-2. I prefer the LCD-2 the most of the three. Are there other around the $1000-$1500 price range I should be looking for? I want to try k1000's but haven't had an opportunity to demo these.. Looking for a headphone with alot of bass. Thanks in advance.

Can't advise you on any of those cans but there's a nice bass heavy K1000 in the FS section you may want to check out.

And just out of interest, which combo do you prefer? The Fiio or the Sparrow?

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,175 of 29,490

Sorry, haven''t heard the ATH A700 so can't advise you on those.

Quote:
Thanks for that info Ultrainferno, seems like one of the best prices I've seen for those alright!

biggrin.gif
Although for the little I do know about headphones I can assure you that I know even less about amps and the likes, I'm a total noob there's no hiding it
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,176 of 29,490
Does anyone else think it is harder to give advice with everyone posting on the same thread?

I feel like this also makes the access and search function for new or non head-fiers more difficult.'

Just expressing my thoughts, no hard feelings here :)

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #1,178 of 29,490

Quote:
Does anyone else think it is harder to give advice with everyone posting on the same thread?

I feel like this also makes the access and search function for new or non head-fiers more difficult.'

Just expressing my thoughts, no hard feelings here :)

My take on the matter:
Thread for a New Set of Recommendation Forums

I've been trying to get some traffic through the thread, but nobody ever looks at the feedback forum.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,179 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Well, since you mentioned the compatibility of rock music in your previous post, I found the A700's very distasteful for rock in general. I would think they're more for classical, or trance perhaps. The guitars always sounded weak, and the mids felt recessed. my largest problem was the overly bright treble. Snares sounded like gunshots on my drumkit, which really annoyed me.

I could also reccomend checking out the semi open K240. It's got a warm sound signature, and works pretty well with everything. compared to the CX300, it's got less bass, but clearer highs. I had CX300 II's, too. : )

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,180 of 29,490

Hmm I did like the bass on my CX300-II...
biggrin.gif
 I've read about the mids being recessed in the A700s alright, ideally it would be best to try them out somewhere but there doesn't seem to be anywhere around here that has any more pricy headphones available to try out which is a big pain! The thing is these will probably be the only headphones I'll be getting for a long while so I'm hoping I'll make a good choice and won't be disappointed so I'm driving myself crazy looking at different models, and whether I'm actually that into bass that I'd be better of with closed cans or if open cans would have enough bass to satisfy my ears, I'm not a big bass head or anything 
tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Well, since you mentioned the compatibility of rock music in your previous post, I found the A700's very distasteful for rock in general. I would think they're more for classical, or trance perhaps. The guitars always sounded weak, and the mids felt recessed. my largest problem was the overly bright treble. Snares sounded like gunshots on my drumkit, which really annoyed me.

I could also reccomend checking out the semi open K240. It's got a warm sound signature, and works pretty well with everything. compared to the CX300, it's got less bass, but clearer highs. I had CX300 II's, too. : )

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,181 of 29,490
i was thinking on buy the 555 but i want to know how they compare to the 448 428. i listin to mostly rock so the i like quality over bass i guess but i still would like to know how the bass compares to others even those i mostly wont care about the bass as long as is good. i was thinking of purchasing them thru like newegg cz i heard heres alot of conterfiet in amazon and bestbuy cost too much.

i mostly listing to bands like:
sick puppies
disturbed
breaking benjamin
three days grace
thousand foot krutch

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #1,182 of 29,490
Coming from IEM, I need help choosing full sized headphones

Source: mainly ipod with headstage arrow amp, laptop

Budget: $200-300 will go a little above if worth it

Use: Music I mainly listen to are pop, rock, and blues with a lot of guitar solos, alternative, acoustic, and a little classical. I will probably use it for gaming sometimes, but that's not so important.

Comfort: I'd like something comfortable since I'm going to be using it during transportation and such.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,183 of 29,490
Jan 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,184 of 29,490

Quote:
Coming from IEM, I need help choosing full sized headphones

Source: mainly ipod with headstage arrow amp, laptop

Budget: $200-300 will go a little above if worth it

Use: Music I mainly listen to are pop, rock, and blues with a lot of guitar solos, alternative, acoustic, and a little classical. I will probably use it for gaming sometimes, but that's not so important.

Comfort: I'd like something comfortable since I'm going to be using it during transportation and such.

Some recommendations for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT 660

Denon AH-D1100

Sennheiser HD 448

Shure SRH 840

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #1,185 of 29,490
Just as a side note, if your curious to see insane bass, go try some XB500's. I'm pretty sure they're readily available in common stores.

They're fun to try out but I ended up returning mine, since it had too much bass. But it might give you an idea of what your looking for in terms of bass.

Otherwise I can't reccomend anything else, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back