++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 22, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #1,021 of 29,490

Hi Everyone,

I was saving up to buy a good headphone ( Over ear or In ear, which ever has better sound quality ) for my Iphone and finally was able to reach the $400 target. I will be mainly be listening to them on my daily commute ( around 4 hours ). I would prefer they isolate the sound so it does not bothers the people around me. Also I don't want to use an amp. I did some research by reading forum topics but I want to make sure I buy headphones which are equipped with up to date technology so I can use them for a few years, new models coming out ( like Klipch Image One etc ) just making things more complex as I become indecisive again.

I listen to mainly soothing music, classical and sometimes metal. I thought that once I had the money it would be awesome as finally I would be able to able to get good headphones but due to all this confusion is it only cause me stress and frustration.

Looking forward towards your suggestions, all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #1,022 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

I was saving up to buy a good headphone ( Over ear or In ear, which ever has better sound quality ) for my Iphone and finally was able to reach the $400 target. I will be mainly be listening to them on my daily commute ( around 4 hours ). I would prefer they isolate the sound so it does not bothers the people around me. Also I don't want to use an amp. I did some research by reading forum topics but I want to make sure I buy headphones which are equipped with up to date technology so I can use them for a few years, new models coming out ( like Klipch Image One etc ) just making things more complex as I become indecisive again.

I listen to mainly soothing music, classical and sometimes metal. I thought that once I had the money it would be awesome as finally I would be able to able to get good headphones but due to all this confusion is it only cause me stress and frustration.

Thanks

For commuting, I'm a big fan of iems- they're inconspicuous, sound great without amplification and block sound more fully than most any closed headphone.  I happen to own & love SE530 (as much as my over-ears) but you can probably get something as good for much less.  This thread is a good place to start.  

If you find iems to be uncomfortable, SRH840 & M50 are probably the most-loved closed isolating headphones that can work out an ipod.

edit: here's a similar thread comparing portable headphones where the M50 & HD25 come out on top.  If you don't mind big headphones and are eying the SRH840, it is worth noting that an updated model (SRH940) will be released soon.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #1,023 of 29,490

Quote:

[size=medium]Music genres: Emphasis on ambient/new age/spacemusic. But will also use them with classical, soundtracks, prog rock (Rush), Radiohead, Pink Floyd[/size]
[size=medium]Portable: No, only at the computer.[/size]
[size=medium]Price range: with an amp/a dac I'm willing to spend up to $400 [/size]
[size=medium]Amped: Yes, don't know which though.[/size]
[size=medium]Closed/Open: Closed[/size]
[size=medium]Headphone preference: Immersive, expansive soundstage. Not a basshead but want the music to feel full. Plenty of detail without sounding technical.[/size]

[size=medium]I have a pair of Equation Audio RP-20's. First set of decent headphones. Construction leaves a lot to be desired (creaky). Want to step up but not too far. I plan on getting an amp but could use some advice. Will be using a computer as a source so also need a DAC. An amp/DAC combo is probably my best option considering my tight budget.[/size]

[size=medium]All of my music is MP3 but plan to move to lossless in the new age genre. [/size]

The following phones are on my list: ATH-M50, ATH-A700 K271MKII, DT 770, others?

Thanks!

The part I colored red makes me think of the SRH-840.  I don't find the M50 to have that much bass, I think it's just boosted a bit in the lower bass.  But usually if someone says they are not a basshead, it means they want a slightly bass-light sound.  So I would cross the M50 and DT-770 off your list.  And you say that you still want it to be full sounding, so the K271 is crossed off because it is very light and airy with emphasis on detail and very bass light.  I think the SRH840 is a good contender for you because it doesn't have too much bass yet it is still full sounding, and it is very detailed.  It will also benefit from your incoming amp/dac and it is in your price range.  Buy it now!

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #1,024 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

For commuting, I'm a big fan of iems- they're inconspicuous, sound great without amplification and block sound more fully than most any closed headphone.  I happen to own & love SE530 (as much as my over-ears) but you can probably get something as good for much less.  This thread is a good place to start.  

If you find iems to be uncomfortable, SRH840 & M50 are probably the most-loved closed isolating headphones that can work out an ipod.

edit: here's a similar thread comparing portable headphones where the M50 & HD25 come out on top.  If you don't mind big headphones and are eying the SRH840, it is worth noting that an updated model (SRH940) will be released soon.

Thanks a lot eucariote, I will certainly read both threads. I know SRH940 is coming out but they are saying spring 2011 which means at least 2-3 more months :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #1,025 of 29,490
Hey,

Really want some advice from some audiophiles lol.

Basically, I wanna spend around £200-250 on some headphones, not sure how much that is in dollars.

The main aspects I am looking for are sound quality and style, not going to lie, aswell as appreciating music, I also like to look fashionable. I would say that I want a pair suitable for portable use/commuting and also for home use to plug into my Creative 7.1 system/Soundblaster setup.

I would say I have a fairly wide ranging taste in music, cross-genres, but I listen to alot of dubstep, drum and bass and hiphop too. So would want some headphones that offer good quality in bass and those genres.

The two pairs that are striking out at me currently are the Monster Beats by Dre Studios (~£250) and the Phiaton MS 400 (~£250).

What are peoples suggestions for the price range im looking at and the aspects I've hinted at. Are the ones I have asked about worth it and offer me what im looking for?

Thanks in advance,
James

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #1,026 of 29,490
After reading quite alot of reviews the M50s seem to be my best option. Before i commit to the buy,i was just wondering is there anything else out there that are as good? Have to be less than 200Euro, they also have to be closed.
Thanks
Mark

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,027 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey,

Basically, I wanna spend around £200-250 on some headphones, not sure how much that is in dollars.

The main aspects I am looking for are sound quality and style, not going to lie, aswell as appreciating music, I also like to look fashionable. I would say that I want a pair suitable for portable use/commuting and also for home use to plug into my Creative 7.1 system/Soundblaster setup.

I would say I have a fairly wide ranging taste in music, cross-genres, but I listen to alot of dubstep, drum and bass and hiphop too. So would want some headphones that offer good quality in bass and those genres.

The two pairs that are striking out at me currently are the Monster Beats by Dre Studios (~£250) and the Phiaton MS 400 (~£250).

What are peoples suggestions for the price range im looking at and the aspects I've hinted at. Are the ones I have asked about worth it and offer me what im looking for?

Thanks in advance,
James

What about Skullcandy's Mix Master Mic or Aviator? Even Jude, Head-Fi's founder, thinks they're pretty good.

And in future, use XE.com to convert currencies.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,028 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks in advance,
James

What about Skullcandy's Mix Master Mic or Aviator? Even Jude, Head-Fi's founder, thinks they're pretty good.

And in future, use XE.com to convert currencies.

Well £200-250 is around $320-400...

Does anyone have the Phiaton MS 400 and know what they are like? Would love a good amount of bass, but without sacrificing audio quality. For the price im willing to pay, I would expect a very decent set of headphones. I do like the Beats Studios but not sure the money and from what I read, their durability is rather poor for such an expensive product

The Aviators look nice, but im not a massive fan of Skullcandy and/or their brand. 

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,029 of 29,490
Jan 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,030 of 29,490
Thanks Rhythmdevils. I didn't even consider the Shures. I do want to say that I'm not necessarily wanting a bass-light sound. I just don't need anything with a lot of thumping bass. Reading the review on Headfonia the author states that the M50 bests the SRH-840.  Although the SRH-840 may be less tiring.

Any suggestions on an AMP/DAC for either the SRH-840 or M50?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]Music genres: Emphasis on ambient/new age/spacemusic. But will also use them with classical, soundtracks, prog rock (Rush), Radiohead, Pink Floyd[/size]
[size=medium]Portable: No, only at the computer.[/size]
[size=medium]Price range: with an amp/a dac I'm willing to spend up to $400 [/size]
[size=medium]Amped: Yes, don't know which though.[/size]
[size=medium]Closed/Open: Closed[/size]
[size=medium]Headphone preference: Immersive, expansive soundstage. Not a basshead but want the music to feel full. Plenty of detail without sounding technical.[/size]

[size=medium]I have a pair of Equation Audio RP-20's. First set of decent headphones. Construction leaves a lot to be desired (creaky). Want to step up but not too far. I plan on getting an amp but could use some advice. Will be using a computer as a source so also need a DAC. An amp/DAC combo is probably my best option considering my tight budget.[/size]

[size=medium]All of my music is MP3 but plan to move to lossless in the new age genre. [/size]

The following phones are on my list: ATH-M50, ATH-A700 K271MKII, DT 770, others?

Thanks!

The part I colored red makes me think of the SRH-840.  I don't find the M50 to have that much bass, I think it's just boosted a bit in the lower bass.  But usually if someone says they are not a basshead, it means they want a slightly bass-light sound.  So I would cross the M50 and DT-770 off your list.  And you say that you still want it to be full sounding, so the K271 is crossed off because it is very light and airy with emphasis on detail and very bass light.  I think the SRH840 is a good contender for you because it doesn't have too much bass yet it is still full sounding, and it is very detailed.  It will also benefit from your incoming amp/dac and it is in your price range.  Buy it now!

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,031 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks Rhythmdevils. I didn't even consider the Shures. I do want to say that I'm not necessarily wanting a bass-light sound. I just don't need anything with a lot of thumping bass. Reading the review on Headfonia the author states that the M50 bests the SRH-840.  Although the SRH-840 may be less tiring.

Any suggestions on an AMP/DAC for either the SRH-840 or M50?

Thanks again.

Well that's the thing is that "thumping bass" is different for different people.  I personally think that real life has bass, and that a bass drum puts out a pretty serious bass hit, and a bass guitar is not light and airy.  So I would just go with whichever sounds the best based on reviews.  I'm not sure there is a clear winner between the 840 and m50 as a lot of people here like both of them. 

I can't really say about an amp/dac, but maybe you should get something made by Audio GD.  They seem to have good offerings for the price.  Generally though, you are compromising when you get a combo unit.  But it still would be better than nothing.  You could also just get a portable amp like a mini3 or an ibasso.  I see the 840 and 50 as portable phones, so I personally wouldn't want a home amp/dac for them.  But they sound good enough to be your only phones.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,032 of 29,490
Ok, still new to the Headphone world.

Only current rig is my portable, Clip+ > Grado SR-60

Now I just got in on the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball GB, so now I'm starting to look for a home setup.  I've read that Grado's don't match well with the Crack amp so I'm looking to purchase new headphones.

Type of Music - Classic Rock, Pop, some Classical, some heavy Metal, Hip-Hop, just about anything but country.

Price - Was looking at Senn 650, so with a new price of $500 I guess that would be my limit.  Also started looking at AKG and Beye but don't know which models.

Setup - (1) Oppo > Crack > Headphones or
            (2) TT > Crack > Headphones or
            (3) Computer > Crack > Headphones

Now I don't know too much about DAC's so any help with picking one out for my Setup #3 would be great.

Like I said just starting in the direction so I do understand that I might need more then one pair of headphones for the different types of music I listen too, I'm fine with that.  The Crack amp is still a few weeks out from being shipped so I have some time and really in no rush as I want to pick out one pair now and save for the next pair.

Thanks for any help,
James

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,033 of 29,490
The Beyer DT880/600s would go great with the Crack an have a sound more similar to your Grados than the HD650s.  The Beyers are brighter, the Senns are darker.

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,034 of 29,490
Hey guys, I need some advice about a headphone purchase.
I'm looking into buying a pair of headphones to monitor music while it is playing and also while editing. I guess I'm looking for a neutral-sounding pair of headphones. I've read a few threads here and it looks like the DT880's are considered fairly neutral. Can you guys please comment on these headphones or provide another recommendation?
The headphones will be driven by a headphone amp and can be any size as they will not be leaving the house. I'm looking into spending $400 or less.

Any help is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back