++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #991 of 29,490
Hey, first post.

I'm trying to find some open over the ear headphones. I just recently got in to the audio world with an Asus Xonar DX and some JVC rx900's. I'm getting to the point of where I'm really curious as to what different sounds are out there and am wanting to make my next adventure. Since the 900's are closed I really want something thats pretty much the opposite with good highs/mids. I've been trying to do some research on these forums for the past couple of days and I'm leaning towards the HD555/HD595. The reason I haven't decided yet is because both are getting mixed results so I figured this thread would be my best bet.

I mostly just want a headphone that doesn't really excel in any one area but is well rounded. I'd like to spend no more then 150, and again my current sound equipment is the Asus Xonar DX.

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks ahead of time for your help.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #992 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I sold off my K271MKIIs within a few days of buying them- they have great mids and soundstage but the bass was completely absent imo.  For your budget, D5000 are very nice but are wooden so might not handle travel very well.  Mediocre soundstage aside, SRH840 really are amazing headphones.  In your shoes I'd wait a few weeks to see if the upcoming SRH940 improve on their sound and get one of the above 3 headphones.

the D5000's are nice, but i only see them for around $600. i'll be carrying any new HP's in a case in my bag, so care won't be an issue. i'm not looking to spend over $400 (including shipping)

Amazon actually has them for $409 shipped.  D2000 are very close in sound (and not wooden, so will travel better) so would be an inexpensive way to evaluate if you like the Denon sound.

only problem is I've never heard a pair of Denon's, and I've also read that the D2000's leak a bit of sound and feel a bit unsturdy. any truth to that?

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #993 of 29,490
Quote:
only problem is I've never heard a pair of Denon's, and I've also read that the D2000's leak a bit of sound and feel a bit unsturdy. any truth to that?

They do leak a bit since they're not really sealed.  Less than really open 'phones like Grados or something, but still a bit.  I haven't owned a pair long enough to comment on build quality.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #994 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

They do leak a bit since they're not really sealed.  Less than really open 'phones like Grados or something, but still a bit.  I never owned a pair long enough to comment on build quality.

my portables atm are a pair of triports, how would the leakage compare? and im not so concerned about the leakage, more of sound getting in

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #995 of 29,490
The Denons don't isolate well at all.  I've never really tried the triports and Headroom doesn't have any graphs of them, but I'd be very surprised if the Denons isolated better.

Here's a graph.  The 'closed' Denons don't do much better than the open HD650s.  The Shures and Beyers show how a real closed 'phone can isolate.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #997 of 29,490
I'm purchasing the ATH-m50s soon as a supplement to my first major headphone purchase (mdr v700s) but I'm already looking ahead to a more portable phone. I am interested in the difference between the HD 25-1 IIs and the AiAiAi TMA-1s. I've heard more good things about the Senns and I am seriously considering them, but i'm intrigued by the aesthetics of the tma-1s, not that the 25s look bad in any way. Can anyone here explain to me the differences in sound signature between the two and maybe advise me on which genres of music at which each might excel.

Then I move on to some more expensive audiophile models! (AKG 702 / Denon 5000 possibly)

Thanks everyone!

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #999 of 29,490
Quote:
would the Beyer's be a better way to go then? I'd be using an e7 when at school and the e7/e9 when at home.

The 600 ohm has the most balanced sound sig, but you might not get enough volume from the E7 when you're on the go.  The E9 should be fine though.  All the other versions have more bass but should be easier to drive.

I've only head the 600s and the Pro 80s myself, but didn't like the Pro 80s because the upper mids/lower treble was too recessed and made female singing sound like they were in another room.  I've got no idea if the 32s or 250s suffer from the same problem.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,000 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
would the Beyer's be a better way to go then? I'd be using an e7 when at school and the e7/e9 when at home.

The 600 ohm has the most balanced sound sig, but you might not get enough volume from the E7 when you're on the go.  The E9 should be fine though.  All the other versions have more bass but should be easier to drive.

I've only head the 600s and the Pro 80s myself, but didn't like the Pro 80s because the upper mids/lower treble was too recessed and made female singing sound like they were in another room.  I've got no idea if the 32s or 250s suffer from the same problem.

on the go is a must for my next HP purchase unfortunately. now im leaning towards the 250's, hoping the e7 with be acceptable. the female voice problem wouldn't affect me, don't have any in my library anyways

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,001 of 29,490
I need some suggestions from all of you experts 
smily_headphones1.gif

Music genres: Electronica, Rock/Electronic Rock, Power Metal (lots of Strings)

Portable: No, only at the computer.

Price range: Up to $200

Amped: No

Closed/Open: Closed, I crave isolation like its going out of style. 

Comfort is key!

I love being immersed into the music, I guess that would be soundstage?

Not a bass fanatic, I want it there but not over-powering. For example in the car I ALWAYS have Treble set higher than Bass.

Clear Vocals are important to me

Models I've looked at, 

Ultrasone HFI-580 - Apparently not the most comfy...

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - Too much Bass from what I've read, although I like EBM/Electronica a lot I don't like when the Bass is Overpowered.

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 - Look VERY interesting, but can my laptop drive them and head to head against the AKG K271MK which wins? Given what I'm looking for?

[size=1.7em] AKG K271MKII - These are my current front runners, my ONLY concern is whether they'll be ok Unamped on my Laptop and if anything is better still for my needs?[/size]

What do you guys suggest? Any other models I should consider?

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #1,004 of 29,490
First of all, hello everybody.
Copied  Palaecro 's layout, I liked it =)
I've done quite a bit of research a while back, sadly all the bookmarks are gone. Also a lot of the stuff was outdated. (price wise)

Music genres: Mainly for Psytrance, DnB, Dubstep, and other Electonic genres.
Portable: No, only at the computer.
Price range: Up to $350.
Amped: Can be.

Closed/Open: Closed. Noise canceling if possible.

I listen to music all the time when I'm in the house, so I need something comfy.
I have Mbox 2 sound card... Also my dad is willing to give me one of his amps if needed.
Budget $300-350.
If any more info is needed please ask.

Thank you for your help.

Any suggestions?

So far I like DT990, also looking at M50.

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #1,005 of 29,490
After tons more reading I'm finding a lot of folk's like the AKG 701/2's.  I'm a prog-rocker.  Would the headphone amp on the Auzentech Forte push these headphones or will I need to amp that output too?  Plus can anyone recommend an op amp to replace the oem one in the Forte for the AKG's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back