++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #976 of 29,490

Quote:
Maybe Ultrasones  Most of them are supposed to have strong bass with enough treble that they're usually described as bright.  Most of them are closed, and all of them but the ED10 are halfway portable.

The HFi-780 fits your budget, but I can't actually remember what it sounds like from the one time I heard it.  Forgot to take notes...

Ultrasones don't usually interest me.. I havent heard amazing reviews for them, so yeah..

How do the ATH-PRO700Mk2's compare to the ATH-M50's? I would get the M50's, but unless someone can shorten the cable WELL, probably wont... (Got it done twice with my first pair about 3 years ago, and both times, Warren Audio messed it up.)

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #977 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everybody,

Like most people, I found my way to this forum on a quest for headphones.  Attempting to narrow things down by searching through the site is making my head swim, so I thought I would post here to get some guidance from the more knowledgeable contributors. 

Here's what I'm looking for:

Budget:
$50-$100.  I really would like to keep this under $100 if possible!  I am totally open to buying used as well to keep it under $100.

What I listen to:
Contemporary and classic rock (Radiohead, Flaming Lips, STP, Tool, Filter, NIN, The Who, Rush, Led Zeppelin, etc. etc.)
Downbeat electronica (Tosca, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin)
Classical Guitar
Jazz (Django reinhardt, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, mostly guitar based jazz)

Where am I going to use it:
Mainly in the office.  I need to be able to hear the phone ring!  I don't think I would like the fully closed headphones because of this; perhaps an over the ear headphone??

I will also be using it for video games at home, although the sound coming out of the video game isn't as important to me as the music.

What I don't particularly want:
earbuds or any other headphone that will be inserted in the ear.  For some reason it kind of freaks me out!

I hope this will help!  My current headphones are sony MDR V150 so I can imagine that there has to be something out there that sounds better than that!  In advance, thanks for taking the time to read my long post and offering your suggestions, and please let me know if I can offer more information to make the process easier.

-Joe

Denon AH-D2000.  They have good bass & soundstage and sound ok with no/weak amplification.  They're also semi-closed, meaning outside sounds are attenuated by ~1/2 so you'll hear the phone.  They leak some, but block well enough that my wife doesn't hear anything about 5 feet away if it's low to moderate volume.

SRH840 are on par imo (better mids but smaller soundstage) and cost less but they might block outside sounds too much for your liking.

These look like great headphones but might be out of my price range.  I might go with the ATH-AD700 as they are pretty close to my budget and look like they are pretty comfortable (I'll probably be wearing them for at about 4-8 hours per day so comfort is important even though I didn't mention it earlier).  The SRH 440 looks like it could also be a contender.

Are there any other headphones that I sould consider?

Thanks for the input so far, it is making things much easier!!

-Joe

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #978 of 29,490
Quote:
Ultrasones don't usually interest me.. I havent heard amazing reviews for them, so yeah..

How do the ATH-PRO700Mk2's compare to the ATH-M50's? I would get the M50's, but unless someone can shorten the cable WELL, probably wont... (Got it done twice with my first pair about 3 years ago, and both times, Warren Audio messed it up.)

I used to have the M50s, but never heard the Pro700s  You could just get the coiled cable or just wrap up most of the straight cord with a velcro tie.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #979 of 29,490
This looks like the job for the Ultrasone HFI 580. Plenty of threads on it.

Quote:
Hi there everyone. I created a few threads but I didn't get as much info as I'd like from them. Anyway, in order from most needed to least needed, my needs are: 

1. Clarity
  2. Deep Bass, Strong kick (I don't want a 'dark' headphone though!)
  3. Detail overall
  4. Does not Leak sound or Let too much sound in. (Noise Isolation and Noise Reduction)
  5. Portability is a concern, I would like to take these to college and on transit, or on walks etc. If possible.
  6. Preferably closed (Goes with "Does not leak down or Let too much sound in")
  7. Can be Full-size, On-ear, In-ear, or even IEM's. I just want the best headphones I can get.
  8. Max price is $250. 

I'm looking at the:

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700Mk2's - Detachable cable and they have a bigger driver than M50's = Better?
HD-25's - Universally recommended for these kinds of needs.
Ultimate Ears TripleFi10 - An In-ear earphone, I don't have much experience with earphones.

What are people's thoughts? I loved the M50's before, just the cable was a bit long. How are the Pro700Mk2's?

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #980 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

I used to have the M50s, but never heard the Pro700s  You could just get the coiled cable or just wrap up most of the straight cord with a velcro tie.

I think the reason why Ultrasones get some mixed reviews is because their soundstage imaging "S-Logic" is unlike any other brand's and they take a bit of getting used to. Some people love it though.
Don't dismiss them until you hear a pair.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed the HD25s. However, they're definitely NOT a dark headphone and you might find the bass a little anemic.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #981 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think the reason why Ultrasones get some mixed reviews is because their soundstage imaging "S-Logic" is unlike any other brand's and they take a bit of getting used to. Some people love it though.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed the HD25s. However, they're definitely NOT a dark headphone and you might find the bass a little anemic.

I don't like dark, I just want good, deep bass, with good kick.

So still nobody has gotten their hands on the ATH-PRO700Mk2's? They MSRP for more than the M50's, and are DJ cans, so shouldnt they be a bit better than m50's?

Its either that or I find someone to shorten the cable for the m50's.. Because I loved those cans, everything from build stage to sound (bass could use a bit more punch, but other than that..)

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #982 of 29,490
Looking for portable headphones such as the AKG K450/Q460/HD-25's ETC

I enjoy bass, though I sold my IE7's as I thought mids were to recessed, Loving the TF10s and SF5 pros well before I broke them. Preferrably detachable cables, I have pretty bad luck...

Okay reason why I won't get another IEM is well I'd rather have headphones as I don't have any now since I gave the M50s to sister.

my current options
1. AKG K450/Q460
2. Phiaton MS300/400
3. HD-25 Adidas umm yummeeh love the look and don't mind the extra 30-40$
4. not to sure

Would like
1. Suggestions
2. Feedback on current list
3. Someone who might persuade me to get IEM's or full size

Oh and 1 Last question, are the HD-25's fine w/o an amp?

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #983 of 29,490
Ultrasones are bright.

Where did you hear that they were dark? They have never been described as such as far as I know. M50s are darker headphones.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So still nobody has gotten their hands on the ATH-PRO700Mk2's? They MSRP for more than the M50's, and are DJ cans, so shouldnt they be a bit better than m50's?

Its either that or I find someone to shorten the cable for the m50's.. Because I loved those cans, everything from build stage to sound (bass could use a bit more punch, but other than that..)

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #984 of 29,490
Hi all.

I'm going to run closed headphones through a Yamaha 663 receiver (no dedicated amp) and the Denon D2000 seem ideal for my purposes.
I'll be using them primarily for late night movies and gaming.

But this quote from the thread linked to below has me worried.
Has anyone actually tried the 663 with the D2000 or have any first hand knowledge that this could be an issue?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/397779/can-my-yamaha-receiver-drive-my-denon-ah-d7000

Quote (tfarney):
The one problem there seems to be with this methodology is that it makes for a rather high output impedance at the headphone jack, which can alter the frequency response of low impedance cans (resulting in a slight lack of bass control). So, actually, it has the potential to negatively impact Dennons, but would probably have no audible effect on high impedance Senns. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #985 of 29,490

Quote:
Ultrasones are bright.

Where did you hear that they were dark? They have never been described as such as far as I know. M50s are darker headphones.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M50's are not as dark as my current phones. Also, I was referring to you saying that I wouldn't like the HD-25's because they wouldn't be dark Enough.

I do not want a dark headphone, just good, deep, punchy bass, along with good mids and nice treble.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #990 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
I sold off my K271MKIIs within a few days of buying them- they have great mids and soundstage but the bass was completely absent imo.  For your budget, D5000 are very nice but are wooden so might not handle travel very well.  Mediocre soundstage aside, SRH840 really are amazing headphones.  In your shoes I'd wait a few weeks to see if the upcoming SRH940 improve on their sound and get one of the above 3 headphones.

the D5000's are nice, but i only see them for around $600. i'll be carrying any new HP's in a case in my bag, so care won't be an issue. i'm not looking to spend over $400 (including shipping)

Amazon actually has them for $409 shipped.  D2000 are very close in sound (and not wooden, so will travel better) so would be an inexpensive way to evaluate if you like the Denon sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back