++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 23, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,051 of 29,490
Hello. I'm looking to purchase a new pair of headphones for about $200. It's very tough for me to find a headphone since I want something very specific, and actually reading the forums complicates my purchase even more.

Right now, I own a pair of PFE's and HD 280. The PFE are generally connected to my Cowon S9 and sound great, and my HD 280 connected to my computer via a Nuforce uDAC, and sound pretty good.

I find the HD280 to be detailed, but a bit boring. I think the PFE are slightly less detailed, but I enjoy listening to them a lot more because I feel they're a lot more fun to listen to. I am a big gamer, and I think the HD280 are great for games. So, I'm not looking for  headphone for games anymore - I'll just switch for to the 280's when it's time for me to play games.

What I'm basically looking for is a headphone that balances the fun of the PFEs and the detail of the 280's. There's not exactly a lot of love for the 280's on this forum, but I liked my 280's (one channel stopped working a couple of weeks before I ran out of warranty, so now I have a new pair, which needs burn-in still).

I listen to a lot of trance, and love more complicated pieces. I also listen to classical, rock, pop, and a lot of soundtrack music. These headphones will be for use at home, but I'd like to request that any suggestions made should have the least sound leakage possible, since I don't live alone.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,053 of 29,490
I'm thinking about buying the AKG K702's right now, and I see that they only have an impedance of 64 Ohm. How easy are these to drive? Right now I have the Nuforce uDAC 2, I just wanted to know if the uDAC would be good enough to power the K702's, or would I have to upgrade my amp/dac.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #1,054 of 29,490
Quote:
If I were to spend around $200 or less instead of $120 is there anything else you would recommend over the M50s, or is the quality increase not worth the price increase?

I haven't heard anything in that price range with a similar sound sig but better.  The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s are the closest I've heard personally, but I think the M50s are better in all areas except for size of the soundstage.  The 32 and 250 ohm versions are probably similar, but I haven't heard those models my self.  From the =1473&graphID[1]=2191&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]FR charts the Shure 750 DJ looks close too, but I haven't heard them myself either.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,055 of 29,490

The uDAC 2, although it sounds better, is a fair bit weaker than the uDAC 1. Either way, I doubt the K702s will sound well out of just a uDAC.
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying the AKG K702's right now, and I see that they only have an impedance of 64 Ohm. How easy are these to drive? Right now I have the Nuforce uDAC 2, I just wanted to know if the uDAC would be good enough to power the K702's, or would I have to upgrade my amp/dac.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,056 of 29,490
I didn't think they would anyways. Do you have any recommendations?

Quote:
The uDAC 2, although it sounds better, is a fair bit weaker than the uDAC 1. Either way, I doubt the K702s will sound well out of just a uDAC.
Quote:

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #1,057 of 29,490
Ok. so Im gettin new headphones and im on a budget so i have broken it down to three choices. Between the

Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone

Sennheiser HD555 Professional Headphones with Sound Channeling

Grado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones

all of these received relatively the same reviews, but their production dates are different with the Grado being 2004, sony 2003, and Sennheiser 2001. They all average $80 on amazon

So, im in a dillemma to choose between the three.

Please Help T-T

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,058 of 29,490

Quote:
I didn't think they would anyways. Do you have any recommendations?

I'm assuming you're aware of the K702s' obvious lack of bass.
I have an Audinst MX-1 which is very powerful and sounds fine with the K702s. Another amp/dac is the Hifiman EF2, which may be more suitable for the K702s as it uses vacuum tubes.

Quote:
Ok. so Im gettin new headphones and im on a budget so i have broken it down to three choices. Between the

all of these received relatively the same reviews, but their production dates are different with the Grado being 2004, sony 2003, and Sennheiser 2001. They all average $80 on amazon

Please Help T-T

Holy font size...we can see your post, alright?
I doubt the Sonys can measure up to your other two choices, although the HD555s and SR60s have very different sound signatures. Which genres do you usually listen to?

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,059 of 29,490

Okay, people need to read a bit before asking to be spoonfed. This would help a good bit and probably wouldn't even need to make threads or ask questions, for a good amount of the time, when asking if they should get 2 polar opposite headphones.

Quote:

Please Help T-T

Music preferences? Source? And where did you get those production dates...? I assume most headphones that are sold new are made rather recently, unless you're insinuating that the start-of-production date matters, which really doesn't. Some of the better headphones are at least a decade and a half old.

Grados are energetic, bright sounding headphones, the HD555's are neutral, tipped upwards if anything, and the 7506 is the same as the V6, which I haven't heard, but want to just for kicks.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #1,060 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Looking for portable headphones such as the AKG K450/Q460/HD-25's ETC

I enjoy bass, though I sold my IE7's as I thought mids were to recessed, Loving the TF10s and SF5 pros well before I broke them. Preferrably detachable cables, I have pretty bad luck...

Okay reason why I won't get another IEM is well I'd rather have headphones as I don't have any now since I gave the M50s to sister.

my current options
1. AKG K450/Q460
2. Phiaton MS300/400
3. HD-25 Adidas umm yummeeh love the look and don't mind the extra 30-40$
4. not to sure

Would like
1. Suggestions
2. Feedback on current list
3. Someone who might persuade me to get IEM's or full size

Oh and 1 Last question, are the HD-25's fine w/o an amp?

? =S

HD25s sound fine unamped, as long as your source isn't some wimpy iPod shuffle or dime-a-dozen cheapo mp3 player. They will either match or outperform the other headphones on your list, but they have less bass than K450s and MS400s.

Also, can't you get replacement cables for your Triple.Fi 10s?

Quote:
Ishcabible said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, people need to read a bit before asking to be spoonfed. This would help a good bit and probably wouldn't even need to make threads or ask questions, for a good amount of the time, when asking if they should get 2 polar opposite headphones.

Amen!

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,061 of 29,490
@12345142 and @lshcabible. I got the Amazon release dates :\. and I listen to electronic music/house/lounge music/indie/pop definitely not a heavy rock dude. yeah a bunch of stuff. So im looking for a good all around headphone(yeah i know there are all types of specific headphones :\). And thanx for the info. ^^

Edit: actually ima take the HD555s off my list because I heard there is a lot of sound leakage. (or am i wrong?)

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #1,062 of 29,490

Quote:
@12345142 and @lshcabible. I got the Amazon release dates :\. and I listen to electronic music/house/lounge music/indie/pop definitely not a heavy rock dude. yeah a bunch of stuff. So im looking for a good all around headphone(yeah i know there are all types of specific headphones :\).

Exclusively those three? I guess the Grados would be cool for those, but it depends on what you want in regards to electronic. They sounded good for indie, and might be a bit bright for pop. Wait, what's lounge music? Too lazy to Google it at the moment. And other than that, I don't really know what to suggest actually. Despite the fact that I haven't pair over $100 for a single pair of headphones, and probably won't in the near future, it's because I'm incredibly lucky and find great deals. And I haven't bothered auditioning many under $100 all arounders because of that fact. I like my K271 for basically everything, and there's a pair for $100 on Amazon if you don't mind used, and feel lucky since that seller is new. People like Shures for most everything, and Olimoronio seems to love the Prodipe 800 and Cortex...something for $40 for electronic and such.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #1,063 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Looking for portable headphones such as the AKG K450/Q460/HD-25's ETC

I enjoy bass, though I sold my IE7's as I thought mids were to recessed, Loving the TF10s and SF5 pros well before I broke them. Preferrably detachable cables, I have pretty bad luck...

Okay reason why I won't get another IEM is well I'd rather have headphones as I don't have any now since I gave the M50s to sister.

my current options
1. AKG K450/Q460
2. Phiaton MS300/400
3. HD-25 Adidas umm yummeeh love the look and don't mind the extra 30-40$
4. not to sure

Would like
1. Suggestions
2. Feedback on current list
3. Someone who might persuade me to get IEM's or full size

Oh and 1 Last question, are the HD-25's fine w/o an amp?

? =S

Generalizing a headphone company is always bad, but I've always heard that AKG always has nice mids on most their headphones. if that helps at all. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,064 of 29,490
Hello,
First post but long time lurker. I'm new to the audiophile headphone world. I currently use an iPhone 3GS and Shure SE530's to listen to music when I want, but would like an upgrade above the IEMs as I don't find them too comfortable and will be taking a job working from home, so listening to some music on my own time has become a possibility.

After reading several posts I decided not to waste anytime and go to the top. I've preordered some Audez'e LCD-2s and plan on powering it with a Meier Stepdance portable amplifier. My source will continue to be an iPhone 3GS and I will be buying a iPhone/iPod LOD. I'm assuming this whole setup may cost me around ~$1400 dollars ($1000 for LCD-2, ~$350 for Meier Stepdance, and ~$50 for high quality LOD cable). I will be listening to FLAC files from the iPhone.

Obviously I want the best headphones. I suffer from upgraditis so I figured I'd go straight to the top and grab some LCD-2's and save myself the time. As for the Meier Stepdance, I do want a portable amp as I listen to music mostly on the go and I hear that this is the best portable amp for the money at the moment. I hope that with this amp, I can take advantage of 95% of the performance the LCD-2's have to offer (I'm OK with losing the last 5% if that's gained through a desktop amp that cost more than 3x as much). I see that the Meier Stepdance can also be driven via plugging it into the wall so I think I'd be ok there. If I wanted a desktop solution, what is the best bang for the buck amplifier to drive some LCD-2's? I've read through a couple pages of the "Amps for LCD-2" thread but have not found a clear winner. To be honest, if the Stepdance can drive the LCD-2's at a respectable audiophile level while plugged into the wall I doubt I will spend another couple hundred to squeeze the last bit of performance out of it.

What do you guys think? If I spend ~$1400 on this setup have I maximized what I get for my money? I know the amplification could get better for home listening but for a portable listening solutions isn't this the best?  Would I have a better listening experience buying something else? I mainly listen to rock but do listen to jazz and classical some time. I started off wanting to buy some Grado RS1i before reading about the LCD-2s.

As always, I appreciate the opinions of others who have spent time in this profession/hobby.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #1,065 of 29,490

Hey guys, this is my first post.  I thought I'd start off by asking your opinions on something.  I'm in the market for some new over or around-ear headphones, and I was wondering what I should buy.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to spend more than 60-70 dollars.  I listen to rock, hip-hop, dance, techno, house, heavy and death metal, some folk, classical, really everything.  I like my bass to be precise, noticeable, and not "muddy" so to speak. Overall audio quality should be good.  I'll also be watching movies with them, and they'll mainly be used on an Ipod nano.  Thanks in advance.  Hopefully what I've given you makes sense or is in some way coherent.  I know nothing about headphones at all.  If you need any more information just ask.  Below is a list of headphones I've been looking at, so you can steer me toward one of them, or suggest something completely different. Thanks again! :)

Panasonic RP-HTX7 (Retro Style)

Sennheiser HD 205

Sennheiser HD428

Pioneer SE-MJ5

Shure SRH240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back