++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 21, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #1,006 of 29,490

Quote:
I need some suggestions from all of you experts 
smily_headphones1.gif

Music genres: Electronica, Rock/Electronic Rock, Power Metal (lots of Strings)

Portable: No, only at the computer.

Price range: Up to $200

Amped: No

Closed/Open: Closed, I crave isolation like its going out of style. 

Comfort is key!

I love being immersed into the music, I guess that would be soundstage?

Not a bass fanatic, I want it there but not over-powering. For example in the car I ALWAYS have Treble set higher than Bass.

Clear Vocals are important to me

Models I've looked at, 

Ultrasone HFI-580 - Apparently not the most comfy...

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - Too much Bass from what I've read, although I like EBM/Electronica a lot I don't like when the Bass is Overpowered.

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 - Look VERY interesting, but can my laptop drive them and head to head against the AKG K271MK which wins? Given what I'm looking for?

[size=1.7em] AKG K271MKII - These are my current front runners, my ONLY concern is whether they'll be ok Unamped on my Laptop and if anything is better still for my needs?[/size]

What do you guys suggest? Any other models I should consider?

K271MKII do have amazing isolation, but of all the closed headphones I've owned, I found that their sound quality suffered the most when played without amplification & out an ipod.  In terms of isolation, I found that K271 > SRH840 > DT770-80 > DT250-250 > D5000/D7000.  Can't comment on the other headphones on your list tho.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,007 of 29,490
Sorry if I interfere and don't wanto to be rude, but saw this htread for people that needs suggestion in headphones buying.
this is what i posted on a new thread days ago:

"First of all hello to all the people at this wonderful forum.
I've been looking here for a pair of headphones that can satisfy me with gaming and listening to music.
I ended up with four models (bear in mind I MUST stay under 200€):
1_Beyer-Dynamichs DT 770 250 ohm
2_Audio-Techinca A700
3_Alessandro Grado MS-1i (I really like the aesthetics of these but don't know if they're right for my usage and they're not really easy to find in Italy)
4_Grado SR60i or SR80i (same said upwards)
Everything will be plugged to the PC with an ASUS Xonar DG.
Thanks
Cheers"

Or simply post in the original thread, thanks
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534679/give-me-some-suggestions

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,008 of 29,490
Quote:
First of all, hello everybody.
Copied  Palaecro 's layout, I liked it =)
I've done quite a bit of research a while back, sadly all the bookmarks are gone. Also a lot of the stuff was outdated. (price wise)

Music genres: Mainly for Psytrance, DnB, Dubstep, and other Electonic genres.
Portable: No, only at the computer.
Price range: Up to $350.
Amped: Can be.

Closed/Open: Closed. Noise canceling if possible.

I listen to music all the time when I'm in the house, so I need something comfy.
I have Mbox 2 sound card... Also my dad is willing to give me one of his amps if needed.
Budget $300-350.
If any more info is needed please ask.

Thank you for your help.

Any suggestions?

So far I like DT990, also looking at M50.

The 990s would be good for those genres but they're open. Also, in general NC 'phones don't sound very good.

The M50s are pretty good for those genres.  They have strong and deep bass that doesn't overpower the mids.  The have a somewhat limited soundstage though.  The Denon D2000s may work as well.  They have strong bass and a bigger soundstage but very little isolation.  The Beyer DT770s in 250 or 32 ohm may work well.  They have strong bass, strong isolation, and a good soundstage.  Beyer also makes replacement gel earpads that will increase both the isolation and the bass.

You may also want to look into Ultrasones.  They are supposed to have strong bass and wider than normal soundstage for closed 'phones.  I have little experience with them myself though.

Quote:
Sorry if I interfere and don't wanto to be rude, but saw this htread for people that needs suggestion in headphones buying.

I've been looking here for a pair of headphones that can satisfy me with gaming and listening to music.
2_Audio-Techinca A700
3_Alessandro Grado MS-1i (I really like the aesthetics of these but don't know if they're right for my usage and they're not really easy to find in Italy)
Thanks
Cheers"

If you're going to be playing any FPS games you'll likely want a pair with good soundstaging so you can hear people sneaking up behind you.  From your list the DT770s or the A700 should have the best.  The Beyers have a lot more bass, if that's important to you.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,009 of 29,490

I didn't see this thread stuck at the top ... yikes. Anyways, I've been reading threads all morning and still can't seem to come to a consensus. Here's a little about me:

- Most of my music is ripped into Apple Lossless. Some other albums are 256 MP3/AAC and up.

- My primary phones right now are the Klipsch Image S4s. If I have a preference sound-wise, it's a full ear headphone (somewhat) similar to the S4s, if available. I love the clarity and in-your-face punch of the things, but feel I could do much better when it comes to home listening.

- I own a budget laptop (Gateway nv7915u) but the sound card is very good considering what I paid for the computer.

- I listen to mostly rock and pop, everything from the classics to new indie stuff.

- If recommended, I plan to compliment whatever I buy with a NuForce Icon uDAC-2 within a few weeks (I'm on a budget and can't afford to buy the headphones and amp all at once)

Right now, I have my eyes set on the Senn 595s and two Grado cans (SR80i or SR125i). I'm leaning toward the 595s for the comfort factor and the all-round capabilities. 

Are these the best choices? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,010 of 29,490
Jan 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,011 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

2_Audio-Techinca A700
Thanks
Cheers"

If you're going to be playing any FPS games you'll likely want a pair with good soundstaging so you can hear people sneaking up behind you.  From your list the DT770s or the A700 should have the best.  The Beyers have a lot more bass, if that's important to you.

X2.  Grados are not very good for gaming due to their lack of spatial resolution.  The first two on your list should work much better, and sound good with music too.  

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #1,013 of 29,490
Hello everyone!

I'm still pretty new to the hi-end headphone game but have been reading a lot for a long time. 

I have a few needs for a setup of which I hope to get this Feb.

1) Headphones that I can listen to while doing homework. Also for just listening and spacing out. Relaxing.
2) Headphones that are not...retro..I might use these to DJ some events (sorry my grado SR60's)
3) Amp'd (for potential upgrades, testing)
4) COMFORTABLE (sorry grado..)
5) I want an phone that I can just close my eyes and escape into. Ya know?

I don't mind getting an amp. But if I do I would prefer to have something that can be somewhat portable. ALSO a built-in DAC would be nice (Fiio E9 + E7 sounds okay?)

I have a few headphones in mind.

1) AKG K701/ 702- because they are so freaking cheap right now. The mids are supposed to be the best in the biz, so I think $250 is cheap for that.
2) AKG other phones - I really like the looks and have read a lot about the phones. All of them seem pretty good.
3) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone - Cheap too for the phone itself. Never heard a thing from my audio buddies though...
4) Grado SR325is - Yeah...retro...yeah not famous for being comfy....but I love my SR60's.

Thanks for reading all of that. I just want to jump head-first into all this awesome stuff.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,014 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkinsman07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1) AKG K701/ 702- because they are so freaking cheap right now. The mids are supposed to be the best in the biz, so I think $250 is cheap for that.
2) AKG other phones - I really like the looks and have read a lot about the phones. All of them seem pretty good.
3) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone - Cheap too for the phone itself. Never heard a thing from my audio buddies though...
4) Grado SR325is - Yeah...retro...yeah not famous for being comfy....but I love my SR60's.

Those models you listed are all open-back headphones; therefore none of them will be suitable for portable and DJ use.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,015 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'm still pretty new to the hi-end headphone game but have been reading a lot for a long time. 

I have a few needs for a setup of which I hope to get this Feb.

1) Headphones that I can listen to while doing homework. Also for just listening and spacing out. Relaxing.
2) Headphones that are not...retro..I might use these to DJ some events (sorry my grado SR60's)
3) Amp'd (for potential upgrades, testing)
4) COMFORTABLE (sorry grado..)
5) I want an phone that I can just close my eyes and escape into. Ya know?

I don't mind getting an amp. But if I do I would prefer to have something that can be somewhat portable. ALSO a built-in DAC would be nice (Fiio E9 + E7 sounds okay?)

1) Best in the biz? Not by a long shot. I absolutely love AKG, but you can get better mids. They're good, but start to sound...off in the upper treble region. But if you don't notice it, then they're great otherwise, but yeah all these are open. DJing won't work very well.

Other than that, what music do you listen to? It's pretty hard to suggest anything without knowing that. But you probably need closed.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,016 of 29,490
AKGs don't sound off to me. Or maybe I should listen more critically.
Generally "space out and just listen to music" doesn't go hand-in-hand with DJ headphones. You'd be hard pressed to find one that fits both uses. Amplification opens up many new possibilities, though. Perhaps Beyerdynamic DT770/600?
What is your maximum budget, and which genres do you usually listen to?

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,017 of 29,490
My music is usually Rock/Jazz/Blues/Classical/R&B with heavy Eagles in there. My budget is around $300 but its a little flexible.

I suppose DJ headphones aren't quite the right words to use. I am looking for more dorm use / escape the chaos/ enjoy the music headphones.

I was hoping to keep the amp cost around $100 bucks (E7? Eventual upgrade to E9 worthwhile?)

I am starting to think that closed back headphones are they way to go anyway....so perhaps AKG 272 HD? Semi-open AKG K 242 HD?

Beyerdynamic DT770 sounds interesting....I have yet to listen to any Beyerdynamic cans yet. :frowning2:

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,018 of 29,490
If you want to block out the noise around you, closed is the only way to go. "Semi open" will never cut it; I'm using the "semi open" DT880 and I can hear construction work going on 3-4 blocks from my apartment window.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,019 of 29,490

[size=medium]Music genres: Emphasis on ambient/new age/spacemusic. But will also use them with classical, soundtracks, prog rock (Rush), Radiohead, Pink Floyd[/size]
[size=medium]Portable: No, only at the computer.[/size]
[size=medium]Price range: with an amp/a dac I'm willing to spend up to $400 [/size]
[size=medium]Amped: Yes, don't know which though.[/size]
[size=medium]Closed/Open: Closed[/size]
[size=medium]Headphone preference: Immersive, expansive soundstage. Not a basshead but want the music to feel full. Plenty of detail without sounding technical.[/size]

[size=medium]I have a pair of Equation Audio RP-20's. First set of decent headphones. Construction leaves a lot to be desired (creaky). Want to step up but not too far. I plan on getting an amp but could use some advice. Will be using a computer as a source so also need a DAC. An amp/DAC combo is probably my best option considering my tight budget.[/size]

[size=medium]All of my music is MP3 but plan to move to lossless in the new age genre. [/size]

The following phones are on my list: ATH-M50, ATH-A700 K271MKII, DT 770, others?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back