++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 18, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #916 of 29,490
Hey. Maybe you could tell me what headphones have Denon sound and Beyerdynamic comfort, openness and soundstage?

I really love Denon sound, however they are closed and not so comfy for me (I prefer velour pads). Now I have Beyers DT990, however I'm not that satisfied with general sound signture.. Any advices??

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #917 of 29,490

Quote:
I have the itch to upgrade. Budget is around $100, give or take a few.

My Audio Technica ATH-A500s are 6 years old now. Still going strong!

I'd like something with a similar but better sound.

I'm looking at Sennheiser HD555 and the Audio Technica ATH-A700.  Possibly the Sennheiser HD280Pro?

Any suggestions?

Source: iPad with iOS 4.2, possibly ALAC.

Anyone own both the A500 and A700? Worth the upgrade?

Ah, my gateway drug! I remember having those. Honestly, I felt my modded A500's sounded better than the A700's. Anything around $100 is a sidegrade and not worth it.

No response to my post?
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #918 of 29,490
Hey I need help guys.  I have been looking for a new pair of headphones and after looking everywhere online I've come to the conclusion that I want the ATH M50 (coiled) headphones.  But I can't seem to find them anywhere for less than $140. They seem to be sold out / backordered everywhere I look.  So my question is.  I have been looking at B&H photo which sells it for $109 but they are backordered.  I just don't wanna wait 4 months or something like that to get my headphones.  Any suggestions? Or other places I can buy it?

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #919 of 29,490
I really need some help. I'm torn between the Phiaton MS 400 and the M-Audio Q40's. I listen to all genres of music but mostly rock. I love the removable cable on the Q40's because I always wind up getting a short in them. Also I'm looking for isolation, I really don't want to disturb anyone on the subway or bus in NYC and I really don't want to hear all the noise around me. Just want to know if the MS 400 are worth the cost over the Q40's on Amazon.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #920 of 29,490

Quote:
I can't really help you with finding more headphones but i can narrow your list a little.

The 240's are mid-based headphones, the highs are nice, but if your looking for perfect female vocals, I'm pretty sure these aren't it.
I mean, they do female vocals great justice, but not as great as i think your looking for. Feel free to cross them off your list

Hmmm, that's really weird, cause my other thread I posted had those suggested like three times. ACK!  So, hmmm, I need a place in Lexington, KY or Cincinnati, OH to demo as many of these as possible...

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #922 of 29,490
I got them from amazon but I just looked and they shot up to $160! I got mine literally a week ago from amazon for $125. Amazon switches vendors a lot though so you might just have to wait until the current ones runs out and new one starts selling. I also notice that there are several different m50's on the amazon website... weird. One of them is also selling from the same vendor I got them from, and they shot up the price too. I would just wait for the price to go back down on amazon or wait for b and h to get them back.

Quote:
Hey I need help guys.  I have been looking for a new pair of headphones and after looking everywhere online I've come to the conclusion that I want the ATH M50 (coiled) headphones.  But I can't seem to find them anywhere for less than $140. They seem to be sold out / backordered everywhere I look.  So my question is.  I have been looking at B&H photo which sells it for $109 but they are backordered.  I just don't wanna wait 4 months or something like that to get my headphones.  Any suggestions? Or other places I can buy it?

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #923 of 29,490
so let's say you're buying cans specifically for this track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4cLmbw6q0) by aphex twin, and you have a $150-200 budget. you wish to listen on the road as well as at home, but you don't feel the need for smallish headphones, a bit of grandeur never hurt anyone, but on the other hand you don't want to look like a fool dressed up as mickey mouse as well. you've already got an amp at home, and a good one at that, and you listen unamped when on the road as you're incredibly forgetful and it's hard enough not losing your ipod. what phones would you buy?

(it's not specifically about the bass with aphex twin, it's the nuances, the little subtleness in his music)

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #924 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry, they only had A700 in stock =\
Anyone else can help this man?

Ah its no problem. I'm really starting to think that, considering the cost, it might not be worth it to do such a minor upgrade for so much money. I'd be better saving up and doing a full equipment upgrade for my home listening.

Quote:
Quote:
I have the itch to upgrade. Budget is around $100, give or take a few.

My Audio Technica ATH-A500s are 6 years old now. Still going strong!

I'd like something with a similar but better sound.

I'm looking at Sennheiser HD555 and the Audio Technica ATH-A700.  Possibly the Sennheiser HD280Pro?

Any suggestions?

Source: iPad with iOS 4.2, possibly ALAC.

Anyone own both the A500 and A700? Worth the upgrade?

Ah, my gateway drug! I remember having those. Honestly, I felt my modded A500's sounded better than the A700's. Anything around $100 is a sidegrade and not worth it.

No response to my post?
frown.gif

Yeah thats what I'm thinking. I love my A500s. I'm just terrified about them dying because they're so old haha. But they are still working beautifully for the time being.

How did you mod them?

I think at this point it'd be better to do a full setup upgrade to actually get an upgrade. Not just to have something new that might or might not sound better or just "different".

If I did end up spending that much money on headphones right now it'd probably be best to go for something that sounds completely different and gives a completely different experience. But I'm picky. heh. I think I'm going to look at upgrades for portable headphones, since my KSC-75s are starting to show their age and a lot of wear and tear.

Anyone know where I can get some replacement pads for my A500s? Pleather is gone completely.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #925 of 29,490
Hi all, need a recommendation. I'm looking to spend around $150-$200. I'm not apposed to buying used either. I listen to a wide variety of music, so i'd like to get a well balanced set. probably gonna be using my ipod as the source most of the time. So I need something that works well unamped. No real preference on design as sound leakage isn't problem.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #926 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all, need a recommendation. I'm looking to spend around $150-$200. I'm not apposed to buying used either. I listen to a wide variety of music, so i'd like to get a well balanced set. probably gonna be using my ipod as the source most of the time. So I need something that works well unamped. No real preference on design as sound leakage isn't problem.

We all know everyone is looking for balanced headphones, but i don't think that can narrow it enough. I mean sure there are some very neutral ones, but with my limited knowledge, I'm not too sure if you can get them for 150- 200.

What music do you primarily listen to?
your favorite genre, etc? instrument preference?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #927 of 29,490

Quote:
We all know everyone is looking for balanced headphones

Very untrue. There's more than a few bassheads on Head-Fi, and I don't just mean people who are upgrading from iBuds.

Quote:

I'm not sure what the prices are in the US, but well-balanced pairs that I've tried would be Shure SRH-440 and AKG K271. Both are closed, which helps them be suitable for portable use; however the Shure is a better bet for portability, as it folds up and comes with a carry case, whereas the AKG cannot fold.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #928 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I plan on buying a pair of modded HD555s, will I need an amp? I'll be using them on my computer, which I'm sure has an integrated realtek soundcard, and possibly my J3.

Help please.

Still in need of assistance. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry I don't have any advise on HD555 but I have J3 and it drives the m50 well. I just checked, and it has 50 ohm, which I think low enough to run with J3, since my m50 is 38 ohm. For future reference, if it goes over 2 number digits, it's probably going to be hard to drive without an amp, whether portable or not. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #929 of 29,490
juman231: good tip on impedance and amping. There are exceptions, of course, but "3 digits = amp" is a decent rule of thumb to start out with.

JudgeDreadLocks: Sorry that nobody seems to have info on the HD555 and J3 pairing. Maybe you could search for a HD555 appreciation thread and ask there?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #930 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
We all know everyone is looking for balanced headphones

Very untrue. There's more than a few bassheads on Head-Fi, and I don't just mean people who are upgrading from iBuds.

True, because I can be a basshead at times, but my point was that saying "balanced" is vague because everyone's perception on what a "balanced" sound is varies greatly.

I think the K701 sound balanced to me, and many probably disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back