++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #931 of 29,490
Well I want to try some Sony headphones and was wondering, if it's worth checking out the 7509HD? The description on amazon makes them sound good but I'm a little hesitant when it comes to Sony headphones because there lower end headphones sound pretty crappy. How would the 7509hd compare to the srh840?

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #932 of 29,490

Quote:
Well I want to try some Sony headphones and was wondering, if it's worth checking out the 7509HD? The description on amazon makes them sound good but I'm a little hesitant when it comes to Sony headphones because there lower end headphones sound pretty crappy. How would the 7509hd compare to the srh840?

There are a few, very short threads on the 7509 (both HD and non-HD), but other than that, it seem to be an uncommon headphone here. They do cost a lot though, and for that price you might want to go with a cheaper Sony, or a more widely-discussed headphone from another brand.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #933 of 29,490
Quote:
juman231: good tip on impedance and amping. There are exceptions, of course, but "3 digits = amp" is a decent rule of thumb to start out with.

JudgeDreadLocks: Sorry that nobody seems to have info on the HD555 and J3 pairing. Maybe you could search for a HD555 appreciation thread and ask there?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but these are mainly going to be used at my computer. I want to know if I need an amp for that purpose, seeing as I don't have an aftermarket soundcard. I don't know if that matters, but that is why I'm asking here.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #934 of 29,490
The only sony headphones I've heard (and I still own, use them for exercise) is the v150 so I don't expect much from sony but I was curious how something like the 7509hd or 7506 would sound.

Quote:
Quote:

There are a few, very short threads on the 7509 (both HD and non-HD), but other than that, it seem to be an uncommon headphone here. They do cost a lot though, and for that price you might want to go with a cheaper Sony, or a more widely-discussed headphone from another brand.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #935 of 29,490
JudgeDreadLocks: in terms of being audible, no you probably won't need an amp. The HD 555 is rated at 50 ohms and 112 dB--should be fine even out of an iPod. 

Additionally, is your RealTek able to send a line out signal?

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #936 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry, they only had A700 in stock =\
Anyone else can help this man?

Ah its no problem. I'm really starting to think that, considering the cost, it might not be worth it to do such a minor upgrade for so much money. I'd be better saving up and doing a full equipment upgrade for my home listening.

Quote:
Quote:
I have the itch to upgrade. Budget is around $100, give or take a few.

My Audio Technica ATH-A500s are 6 years old now. Still going strong!

I'd like something with a similar but better sound.

I'm looking at Sennheiser HD555 and the Audio Technica ATH-A700.  Possibly the Sennheiser HD280Pro?

Any suggestions?

Source: iPad with iOS 4.2, possibly ALAC.

Anyone own both the A500 and A700? Worth the upgrade?

Ah, my gateway drug! I remember having those. Honestly, I felt my modded A500's sounded better than the A700's. Anything around $100 is a sidegrade and not worth it.

No response to my post?
frown.gif

Yeah thats what I'm thinking. I love my A500s. I'm just terrified about them dying because they're so old haha. But they are still working beautifully for the time being.

How did you mod them?

I think at this point it'd be better to do a full setup upgrade to actually get an upgrade. Not just to have something new that might or might not sound better or just "different".

If I did end up spending that much money on headphones right now it'd probably be best to go for something that sounds completely different and gives a completely different experience. But I'm picky. heh. I think I'm going to look at upgrades for portable headphones, since my KSC-75s are starting to show their age and a lot of wear and tear.

Anyone know where I can get some replacement pads for my A500s? Pleather is gone completely.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/214363/w5000-fitz-mod-guide
That's basically the idea for the baffle. Then damp the cups with tack and remove the yellow felt behind the driver. You'll end up with pretty great sound, and new pads are $60. Not worth it.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #937 of 29,490
I'm looking to get a new pair of open headphones and I wanted to get some opinions from everyone on here.

I currently have M50's and HD555's (soundstage and foam tape modded) and am thinking about getting rid of the HD555's for a better open headphone. I liked the HD555's alot but just want something better. I really like the M50's as well but I like having a good set of open cans too. The bass on the M50 is great but I also liked the sound of the HD555's. The bass was perfectly fine for the sound they had and I really liked the presentation. I don't necessarily need more bass than the HD555's or less bass (although I wouldn't want it to be much less than them), I'm just looking for a cleaner sound than them, and also something that is different from my M50's.

I listen to mostly everything except rap and country. Mostly jazz, rock, and some classical.

I've been looking at HD600, HD580 (same thing?), and DT990/600. I would like some more suggestions and some opinions on what you guys think would be the best route for me. I'm looking to expand my knowledge of headphones beyond the common brands (i.e. sennheiser, audio technica, beyerdynamic, etc.). 

Oh and price range is around $200 U.S. dollars. Preferably below. And I don't mind buying used at all. Thanks people.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #938 of 29,490
DT990s are nice, but the tonal balance might not suit jazz or classical music as well as the Sennheisers. I've read that the HD580s are darker-sounding than the more balanced HD600s as well.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #939 of 29,490

Quote:
DT990s are nice, but the tonal balance might not suit jazz or classical music as well as the Sennheisers. I've read that the HD580s are darker-sounding than the more balanced HD600s as well.

Thanks, I was also feeling the same about the DT990's. Lot's of bass and treble. Thanks for the info about the 580's. I was mostly interested in them because they are very similar to 600's but cheaper. I would almost prefer a warmer sound. Would the 555's be considered a warm sound or more bright? How about the M50's? Thanks.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #940 of 29,490
Hey all, 

First time poster.  Ok, I'm new to the high end headphone lines.  5 years ago I decided to get a good set of headphones on a spur of the moment and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 515's.  I have enjoyed these headphones immensely, but I would like to take a step up, only these 515's are the best I have heard and I need just a little 
rolleyes.gif
  advice.  I have a Auzentech X-Fi Forte that will be driving the headphones mostly, and a Pioneer VSX 414 Receiver.  The sound card has a dedicated headphone amplifier, an independent (and Auzentech proprietary amp.)  

I find the 515's nice, but I think the bass is not good for the type of music I like.  And they are too bright, not blaring where it hurts, but more like the highs just all mix together when the treble gets quick.  That's how I feel about the bass, there could be more bass but it seems to get muddled in quick work.  The mids seem fine.

I mostly listen to progressive rock, suck as King Crimson, Kansas or Yes, but I throw in a lot of acoustical stuff, like Leo Kotte or Bruce Cockburn.  Mostly rock though.  

I have about 300 USA dollars to spend and have read alot.  But even without ever hearing one, I doubt any of the Grado's would work for me as I really don't like over brightness in the treble.  I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 380 pro's as Test Freaks thinks it is a great headset.  But I've heard good things about the Shure 840's.  I was almost convinced to get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 till I read here .  This guy leads me to believe the bass is too slow for the music I listen to.  Please correct him if needed as these are the least expensive of the three.  But I am in no way married to these three headphones, I seem to remember a set of pioneer's HDJ 2000 getting great reviews but the price is a tad high for me I think.  300 dollars, more or less is all I have to spend.

I thank y'all for your time.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #941 of 29,490
I don't seem to find M50 slow at all. I find them just right for rock type music. They have great bass and the treble is also great sounding on them. I don't listen to metal or very hardcore rock though so I can't help you there. I think for your type of music M50 would be great. However, you might want to check out the denon d2000 for just a little bit more money. I haven't heard them, but they seem to have great reviews.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #943 of 29,490
I personally like my AKG K240 for metal and rock in general. It puts nice emphasis on electric guitars.
You can try those out too.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #944 of 29,490
I'm purchasing the ATH-m50s soon as a supplement to my first major headphone purchase (mdr v700s) but I'm already looking ahead to a more portable phone. I am interested in the difference between the HD 25-1 IIs and the AiAiAi TMA-1s. I've heard more good things about the Senns and I am seriously considering them, but i'm intrigued by the aesthetics of the tma-1s, not that the 25s look bad in any way. Can anyone here explain to me the differences in sound signature between the two and maybe advise me on which genres of music each might excel.

Then I move on to some more expensive audiophile models! (AKG 702 possibly)

Thanks everyone!

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #945 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all, need a recommendation. I'm looking to spend around $150-$200. I'm not apposed to buying used either. I listen to a wide variety of music, so i'd like to get a well balanced set. probably gonna be using my ipod as the source most of the time. So I need something that works well unamped. No real preference on design as sound leakage isn't problem.

We all know everyone is looking for balanced headphones, but i don't think that can narrow it enough. I mean sure there are some very neutral ones, but with my limited knowledge, I'm not too sure if you can get them for 150- 200.

What music do you primarily listen to?
your favorite genre, etc? instrument preference?

Alright, how about a more bass driven set? Like if Monster Turbine Pro Gold's were a full size headphone. I don't necessarily need that much bass, but I want to have a lot lot of it when I'm listening to certain genres of music(hiphop/electronica). I really am all across the board with my music tastes though. I listen to new rock(HURT,Staind), pop/punk(Fall Out Boy, Blink 182), some new metal(Avenged Sevenfold,Tool), a lot of folky music(Ryan Adams, M. Ward, The Frames), some country, indie/new wave(Metric,Death Cab for Cutie) and even some prog-rock(The Mars Volta). Don't really listen to classical or much classic rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back