++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 1, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #451 of 29,490
I haven't done it yet, but I hear people often compare a Keyes mod Pro 900 to 8's

Quote:
tongue.gif
Can't say he's wrong about that, the Ed. 8 fulfills all your requirements. Maybe an Ultrasone with a price that stays in the stratosphere?.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #452 of 29,490

Quote:
I think I mentioned in another thread, since you live in Europe you can take a look at the offerings from Meier. He has a deal with 20% off an amp, and if buy a Beyer you get a free Headsix as well.

Yes, I know about this and contacted Jan about it too. He has a great price on Stepdance / T5P combo at 1100 Euro and I think I will use the occasion of buying Stepdance to buy T5P together. If I do not like them I will simply sell them with little loss.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #453 of 29,490
I don't know how the ED8s got so hyped. Totally not worth the price.

Quote:
tongue.gif
Can't say he's wrong about that, the Ed. 8 fulfills all your requirements. Maybe an Ultrasone with a price that stays in the stratosphere?.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #454 of 29,490

Quote:
Have you looked up the Beyer T50P? It's cord is 4 feet though. I have no idea how it sounds XD but people seem to say it's like the T1

I forgot to mention I was looking for circumaurial, as I hate on ear sets with a passion equal to the fury of 1000 suns haha.  But, yes I got to demo the set not too long ago but it was direct out of a sansa clip, so I have no clue what it really sounds like heh.  

Quote:
Quote:
I need help, so I'll play along :wink:

Im in search of a small full sized closed back set with a short cord around 3.5ft long with good clarity and amazing immersion and staging.  I've pretty much owned every dang set imaginable that even remotely fits this bill, however I am looking back at the Beyer DT-770.  It has been so long since I heard it, I forgot what it sounds like exactly.  My problem is I know the DT770 isn't that much nicer than the DBI pro 705, which I currently have which leaves me with a lacking feeling.  Basically I am really looking for pure audio clarity and supreme immersion and staging and I've not a clue where else to look to ;P  

You should be GIVING advice in the thread.
wink.gif

Well, I will certainly try to do my best to help anyone who needs it.  But this time I am really in need of some good advice hehe.  The closest I've gotten to happiness was in the Phiaton Ms400, but he too was lacking that immersion and soundstage, and lacking heavily.  I am to the point where I will sacrifice audio clarity for immersion and large stage size.  I've actually done that with my earbuds of choice, I prefer the new 9wave buds due to massive stage, separation and unrivaled immersion, but their overall clarity is not really up to speed with their price, as the budget model is many steps behind the equally priced Sennheiser MX880 at $80, and the expensive 9wave Metal version is nowhere near the Sennheiser MX980 ( $200 ), but i still prefer them over the more clear sets.

so, I'm in a bind here, there are still a hefty amount of portable circumaurial sets that I still have not tried, but I am almost positive that I will not find what I am looking for in a portable set.  
I've got to accept that my budget range will not satisfy me and thats a hard thing to come to terms with haha

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #457 of 29,490
Well, based on how much of an idiot I am, I actually started a new thread, but I'm still stuck with 2 decisions. KOSS ur20 or Sennheiser's HD201. 20-40 dollar price range, very strict budget.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #458 of 29,490

I need some recommendations as well.

Music Genres: Mostly Progressive Rock, all kinds of prog metal mostly instrumental prog metal. nice bass would be fine.
Games: YES want this for games more than music actually, but i might be listening music in them if sounds fine enough.
Portable: No.
Price Range: <120$
Amped: I have a HeadAmp4, does the business with all i have put into it...so far.
Closed/Open: Must be Open
Headphone Preference: I have some closed. i want to try some good quality open back, the only Open i have is the Grado SR80i, and AKG k240 semiopen.

I've been reading and have come to these options HD555, HD595, ATH AD700 and Beyer DT440. but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Im gonna have to quote myself to keep it alive.

Yes an used dt9000 on that price wiukd be nice.
and the new versions of hd555 and 595 are too pricey.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #459 of 29,490

I need some recommendations as well.

Music Genres: Mostly Progressive Rock, all kinds of prog metal mostly instrumental prog metal. nice bass would be fine.
Games: YES want this for games more than music actually, but i might be listening music in them if sounds fine enough.
Portable: No.
Price Range: <120$
Amped: I have a HeadAmp4, does the business with all i have put into it...so far.
Closed/Open: Must be Open
Headphone Preference: I have some closed. i want to try some good quality open back, the only Open i have is the Grado SR80i, and AKG k240 semiopen.

I've been reading and have come to these options HD555, HD595, ATH AD700 and Beyer DT440. but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Im gonna have to quote myself to keep it alive.

Yes an used dt9000 on that price wiukd be nice.
and the new versions of hd555 and 595 are too pricey.

The DT990s usually sell for around 50 euro on eBay.de. These are the great ones from the 80s

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #460 of 29,490

Music Genres: Hip-Hop, Electronic, Metal, Instrumental

Portable: Not specifically, but it would be nice for travel on a plane or in a car.  For walking?  No these are more for personal use.

Price Range: <150$

Amped: Not yet

Closed/Open: Closed

Headphone Preference:  None

Deciding between three different closed ear model headphones right now based on my wants right now, price range, and reviews.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Heard great things about these but unfortunately I haven't been able to try these out first hand.  I went to some of these audio shops and guitar shops around me but they don't have a floor model of these for me to try out.  

Sennheiser HD380 Pro - Tried these in the Guitar Center near me.  I was impressed how it handled hip-hop, instrumentals like jazz, pop, and electronic (electro house / dubstep).  It handled rock alright but I didn't have a variety of rock to play it with.  I'd consider these because I actually experienced them.

I think I can get the Sennheiser HD595s for the same price so if I went for these I'd probably go for them.

Denon D1100 - I was told that these blow the M50s out of the water.  Great for hip-hop and electronic music, which I listen to most, but can handle other genres of music very well.  I'm still not sure which I should go for.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #461 of 29,490

I am looking for a really high-quality full-size headphone for traveling, that is not an IEM, and budget is up to about $350. My three main contenders are:

Senheiser PXC 450

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Phiaton MS 400

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on these picks or any other you may have. Thanks!!

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #462 of 29,490
Alright so I had a thread but had 2 replies, both of which did not help in the least so I'll try my luck here. Take into account I have just this day (so about 8 more hours) to decide as leave Cali in less than a week and need them shipped before hand. So the faster straight forward answers the better :D

So here goes:

I'm looking into buying some Beyerdynamic headphones (Heard soundstage was great, good bass without ruining other layers, and heard they're like clouds on your ears *shivers in delight*).
Problem is I only have amazon gift cards to use and the budget is set to $210. Now I was going to go for some DT880s or 990s until I realized they're in the 250-600ohm range.

That's where my problem arises. I do not plan on getting an amp (at least for a long while). Reasons being : I don't want to spend extra money (since Im at a set budget) and I do not want another device to have to manage.

Now this may not be TOO big of a problem as long as my source is powerful enough. Well it's not. This is going to be cans for my itouch4 and my itouch4 alone. So it will be mobile. Size isn't a problem (I like big phones imo). 

After searching and searching I found that the DT770/32ohm premium is more or less what I'm looking for. Thing is I've heard mixed things about them in terms of needing an amp and not. 

As I'm going to be in public the pair needs to be closed, which narrows the options significantly. Also needs to be driven by my itouch, which narrows it even more. 

So can anyone give me a pretty straight answer? Will I be satisfied with the DT770/32 without an amp? I've looked into ATH M50's, KG271, Senn's 555s (and others) but cant stress enough that I want the oh so delicious comfortability of the beyers ear pads (and sweet soundstage, though Im sure aren't the BEST).

But if you think I will be disappointed with them, is there a pair that will fit my need (either of the listed or of something I did not list) ?

I listen to a broad range of genres but mostly progressive house, club, dubstep, metal, some pop, old school rap. If this helps.

Edit**: Forgot to mention that I am looking for full sized (obviously) around the ear circum phones. Closed back of course (unless you know of an open back that has minimal leakage)

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #463 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
You need to build your own headphones
biggrin.gif

If that ain't the truth :p

Or delve into the scary world of ortho modding.

Quote:
Well, based on how much of an idiot I am, I actually started a new thread, but I'm still stuck with 2 decisions. KOSS ur20 or Sennheiser's HD201. 20-40 dollar price range, very strict budget.

I'll say Koss UR20.

Quote:

Music Genres: Hip-Hop, Electronic, Metal, Instrumental
Portable: Not specifically, but it would be nice for travel on a plane or in a car.  For walking?  No these are more for personal use.
Price Range: <150$
Amped: Not yet
Closed/Open: Closed
Headphone Preference:  None

Deciding between three different closed ear model headphones right now based on my wants right now, price range, and reviews.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Heard great things about these but unfortunately I haven't been able to try these out first hand.  I went to some of these audio shops and guitar shops around me but they don't have a floor model of these for me to try out.  

Sennheiser HD380 Pro - Tried these in the Guitar Center near me.  I was impressed how it handled hip-hop, instrumentals like jazz, pop, and electronic (electro house / dubstep).  It handled rock alright but I didn't have a variety of rock to play it with.  I'd consider these because I actually experienced them.

I think I can get the Sennheiser HD595s for the same price so if I went for these I'd probably go for them.

Denon D1100 - I was told that these blow the M50s out of the water.  Great for hip-hop and electronic music, which I listen to most, but can handle other genres of music very well.  I'm still not sure which I should go for.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this.

I would say go with the D1100 or HD380. Currently, I think the D1100 are on sale through Amazon for $120.

Quote:

I am looking for a really high-quality full-size headphone for traveling, that is not an IEM, and budget is up to about $350. My three main contenders are:

Senheiser PXC 450
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Phiaton MS 400

I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on these picks or any other you may have. Thanks!!

The MS400 are excellent and fold up nice and compact with a hard case.

Quote:
I'm looking into buying some Beyerdynamic headphones (Heard soundstage was great, good bass without ruining other layers, and heard they're like clouds on your ears *shivers in delight*).
Problem is I only have amazon gift cards to use and the budget is set to $210. Now I was going to go for some DT880s or 990s until I realized they're in the 250-600ohm range.

That's where my problem arises. I do not plan on getting an amp (at least for a long while). Reasons being : I don't want to spend extra money (since Im at a set budget) and I do not want another device to have to manage.

Now this may not be TOO big of a problem as long as my source is powerful enough. Well it's not. This is going to be cans for my itouch4 and my itouch4 alone. So it will be mobile. Size isn't a problem (I like big phones imo). 

After searching and searching I found that the DT770/32ohm premium is more or less what I'm looking for. Thing is I've heard mixed things about them in terms of needing an amp and not. 

You'll be fine with the DT770, and the strong isolation means you won't have to turn it up very much if you're worried about power requirements. You can always add an amp later on.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #464 of 29,490
Really? I've heard so many people saying that the dt770/32 just do not sound full (soundstage, bass, what have you) without an amp and that getting it without one was pointless.

If you really believe them to work great without an amp then, off to ordering it!

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #465 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright so I had a thread but had 2 replies, both of which did not help in the least so I'll try my luck here. Take into account I have just this day (so about 8 more hours) to decide as leave Cali in less than a week and need them shipped before hand. So the faster straight forward answers the better :D

So here goes:

As I'm going to be in public the pair needs to be closed, which narrows the options significantly. Also needs to be driven by my itouch, which narrows it even more. 

So can anyone give me a pretty straight answer? Will I be satisfied with the DT770/32 without an amp? I've looked into ATH M50's, KG271, Senn's 555s (and others) but cant stress enough that I want the oh so delicious comfortability of the beyers ear pads (and sweet soundstage, though Im sure aren't the BEST).

But if you think I will be disappointed with them, is there a pair that will fit my need (either of the listed or of something I did not list) ?

I listen to a broad range of genres but mostly progressive house, club, dubstep, metal, some pop, old school rap. If this helps.

Edit**: Forgot to mention that I am looking for full sized (obviously) around the ear circum phones. Closed back of course (unless you know of an open back that has minimal leakage)

ATH-M50 with Shure 840 pads are amazing with great soundstage for a closed and comfort that rivals Beyer IMO.  The DT-770 32 is a great can (only the 600 ohm has a sonic difference).  I am not sure they will provide enough unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back