++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #841 of 29,490
hi, i am a long time browser of these forums and for once i can't see a thread with my question already answered, so i'll ask here.

I have $50 and i am looking to get a new set of cans.

I've narrowed my search to the Koss UR-40 and the JVC HA-RX 700.

I have a varied taste in music, but in general i like rock, as well as "industrial" (particularly Nine inch nails), and some techno. I like bass, but clarity is more important to me than how loud it is.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #842 of 29,490
Eljitto, the Koss Porta Pro is quite worthy in that price range. I know, they are not exactly beautiful.. but search the forum and you'll find additional info.

Here's what they look like: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1295119650&sr=8-1

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #843 of 29,490

[size=small]So i want to buy a new pair of headphones, because my old Hd 205 failed on me.i want to go a little more high end this time,  my budget is +-120EUR [/size]

[size=small]So i have been looking around and stuff  but i still cant decide which one to pick. I’m going to use it for gaming and music of course. 

40%gaming
40%music
20%movies
[/size]

Genres i MAINLY listen to : Psy trance,trance,dubstep,hardstyle,metal,instrumentals etc etc

What am i looking for?
-Detailed sound
-Warm sound
-good bass but not to overwhelming like the xb700/500,i want it to kind of blend in

[size=small]I tried :[/size]

[size=small]Sony MDR XB 300 (they where OK, but really didn’t like how the headphone fits)[/size]
[size=small]Sony mdr xb 500 (sounded I little flat,was pretty comfortable though)[/size]
[size=small]Sony MDR XB 700 (way to bassy,other than that they where pretty nice)[/size]

[size=small]Sennheiser HD 438 (maybe it was just the store I went to but the headphone sounded worse than my hd 205,not that my hd 205’s sounded bad but yeah you get it)[/size]
[size=small]Sennheiser HD 448 ( same as 438)[/size]

[size=small]Skullcandy (no way)[/size]
[size=small]Bose (overpriced)[/size]

i didnt get the chance to test the HD 380/280/555/558/595,[size=small] Im not really familiar with any other brand, so what do you guys think I should go with?[/size]

[size=small]Much appreciated[/size]

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #844 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bllackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=small]So i want to buy a new pair of headphones, because my old Hd 205 failed on me.i want to go a little more high end this time,  my budget is +-120EUR [/size]

I don't know what it goes for in your neck of the woods but you might want to check out the Audio Technica  M50s.  They've got strong deep bass that's good for trance and whatnot without being so strong it overwhelms everything in other genres like the XBs can.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #845 of 29,490

Quote:
Eljitto, the Koss Porta Pro is quite worthy in that price range. I know, they are not exactly beautiful.. but search the forum and you'll find additional info.

Here's what they look like: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1295119650&sr=8-1

i thought about those, but i'd really like to have headphones that surround my ears, and my hair is not a fan of the metal connector ontop of headphoens

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #846 of 29,490
Hi guys, I was browsing through the forums and I noticed this thread.

I wasn't sure if my question was already answered in this thread, and I didnt wanna go through 57 pages to find there was no results.

So I'm asking. Is the Monster Turbines worth the cash? It's not so expensive here, maybe 170 bucks? (I live in Sweden)

I'm pretty much a basshead so that should give u info about me :D

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #847 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys, I was browsing through the forums and I noticed this thread.

I wasn't sure if my question was already answered in this thread, and I didnt wanna go through 57 pages to find there was no results.

So I'm asking. Is the Monster Turbines worth the cash? It's not so expensive here, maybe 170 bucks? (I live in Sweden)

I'm pretty much a basshead so that should give u info about me :D

You probably want to ask this in the in-ear monitors thread.  This massive review will help put the Turbines in perspective and give you ideas about other iems.  I happen to like them (tho not as much as the SE530) and they are bass-rich.  But they are pretty expensive imo for the good-but-not-stellar sound quality.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #848 of 29,490
Quick question here:

List me some headphones with *ahem* MORE BASS THAN XB500's.

Just curious.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #849 of 29,490
Maybe the XB1000, when it comes out in a few months.  Other than that, nothing.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #850 of 29,490
Do you want more bass or more quality bass? The ATH m50's get some pretty good bass if you use a decent amp with a bass boost function on it. It won't be too boomy or distort anything. But if you just want a ton of power then I'd go with what the poster before me said.

Quote:
Quick question here:

List me some headphones with *ahem* MORE BASS THAN XB500's.

Just curious.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #851 of 29,490
Thanks for your suggestions. My m50's came today and I've been burning them in for the past 10 hours now. with a couple of breaks in between. I got to borrow my friends m50s and I really liked the comfort and sound of the cans.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #852 of 29,490
My apologies if anyone has seen this post already.  I mistakenly posted it in the wrong thread. Anyways, here it is again in the right place:

"Hi All,

I'm a person who has been subsisting on $10 earphones for a while, and am finally looking for a considerable upgrade to full headphone.  As I am new to these kind of matters, I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.  Below are my criteria for getting one:

budget: ~$70-80, no more than $85
Weight: no more than 1 pound/16 oz
Supra-aural/Circum-aural: definitely circumaural
Closed/Open: fine with both
Listening environment: mostly at home, sometimes moderately busy offices
Audio source: My HP dv7t laptop, with IDT HD audio codec.  Music usually at 200-320 kbps.
Audio equipment: Just my laptop. No amps
Music genres: fairly broad, but tilts heavily towards electronica and indie rock/pop.  some hip-hop, rap, and rnb in between.  a touch of jazz and new age

Any particular choices I should be aware of?

Much thanks!"

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #853 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for closed portable-ish basshead headphones for listening to anything from dubstep and drum & bass to j-pop and IDM to soul, hip hop, and rap.

Should be relatively comfortable, although I'm not looking for a king-sized bed here. As for looks, nothing specific but I'd like it to look good, and I like the styling of Grados (although those are open) and the Audio Technica M50s and the ES7s. I should be able to wear them on my neck when not in use. Ability to fold flat, and a cable around 5ft or so would be nice but not a requirement.

Should be able to be powered by either an iPod nano 6th gen, or that + a Fiio E5. Not willing to go further for an amp.

Do want some good, heavy bass, but not bloated and it shouldn't overpower the rest of the music. I can also appreciate some treble.

Update: I have enough to get them now actually.

Price Range I am looking at is $75 now, and because of the sharp rise in price for the M50s and the lack of availability for the ES7s, I'm currently sticking with the AKG K518LEs. Are there any other cans I should look at in this price range?

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #854 of 29,490
Hi, I am looking for a decent headphone around $250 or less

Currently have:

E9&E7 combo
M50s

I wonder what be a good match for my setup, since its transparent and revealing

I listen alot of different varies of music from alternative/indie to trance/hardcore , etc
I also watch movies and stuff like that

I wont use them outside my house, so doesnt have to be portable
I am looking for something open/semi-open
Have to comfortable, wear them on for several hours and game too

Should have decent bass/some "oof" to it for an open/semi, cant be flat lik AKGs or most opens
I really like mids,
I lik my high to be detailed and wonderful but not to be piercing since my setup is transparent

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #855 of 29,490
i have done some more research and am now not sure whether to get the HA-RX 700 or the Superlux 681.

from what i have found, the 700's are more comfortable and have stronger bass, while the Superlux have better highs and mids. For listening to mostly rock but some rap and metal, what do you guys think would be better.

my budget is only $50, but ive seen these cans compared to headphones 2-3 times their price.

thanks! -eljitto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back