++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #856 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I am looking for a decent headphone around $250 or less

Currently have:

E9&E7 combo
M50s

I wonder what be a good match for my setup, since its transparent and revealing

I listen alot of different varies of music from alternative/indie to trance/hardcore , etc
I also watch movies and stuff like that

I wont use them outside my house, so doesnt have to be portable
I am looking for something open/semi-open
Have to comfortable, wear them on for several hours and game too

Should have decent bass/some "oof" to it for an open/semi, cant be flat lik AKGs or most opens
I really like mids,
I lik my high to be detailed and wonderful but not to be piercing since my setup is transparent

Too many requirements.  The Beyer DT990s fit most reqs except the mids.  They're kinda recessed and a little cold.   Some people find the highs piercing as well.  I did, but others disagree.  Other than that, maybe some used HD650s?  The 990s are good for trance.  The HD650s, not so much...

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #864 of 29,490
Yea I agree, that's what I have, but I don't really think they're for EVERY genre. But for most they should be fine. Also, they do have some nice bass, but if you listen to a lot of hip hop or techno you will really benefit from the added bass from an amp. Maybe you could just get one later on down the road if you don't want to spend too much right now.

Quote:
Quote:
Best closed portable unamped?

ATH-M50. It's perhaps a bit bulky but it's foldable, built like a tank and is great unamped.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #866 of 29,490
Considering you have the Shure and can stretch your budget to $300 I'd suggest you set your sights higher than the M50 instead. Perhaps look at the Denon offerings if you must have a closed can (probably not ideal for portable use though). Check out some of the links in the OP.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #867 of 29,490
Eh... it's up to you. There's a new amp coming out in March that is getting a lot of hype. The fiio E11, it looks pretty promising. It's only an amp though and no DAC so if you'll be using a computer too then you might just want to get a fiio E7. If you're only using an iPod, Zune etc then you might want to wait for the E11.

Quote:
Should i perhaps get an amp first and then better headphones? i have recabled shure srh440 right now. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #870 of 29,490

Users who are viewing this thread

Back